PDA

View Full Version : Pay up or else...

reporter2
30-01-12, 17:04
http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_758639.html

swimming coaches told

Pay up or else...

Management of some condos tell them to pay 10% of monthly earnings or provide service elsewhere

Published on Jan 23, 2012

By Elizabeth Soh

SWIMMING coaches are being told to hand over 10 per cent of their monthly earnings or teach elsewhere, under rules introduced by at least four condominiums.

In some cases, this is on top of a $200 deposit they have to lay down in case they flout any regulations.

Being made to hand over a cut has angered coaches who teach at Azalea Park, the latest condo to introduce the move.

'We asked but were not told the rationale behind such a by-law,' said one of them, who declined to be named. 'It is utterly ridiculous because in the first place, we are there at the request of the condominium's residents to provide a service. We were also not told what the money will be used for.'

The condo in Pasir Ris e-mailed coaches last month, saying they would have to 'pay to management 10 per cent of coaching fees monthly', as well as a $200 refundable deposit.

They were also told to produce a list of their students, and given fixed timings to hold their swimming classes.

The Building and Construction Authority said only five categories of people are bound by by-laws passed by condos.

These are 'the management corporation, the subsidiary proprietors, any mortgagee-in-possession, lessee or occupier'.

Estate management companies told The Straits Times that swimming coaches do not fall into any of the five categories.

'We do not have such by-laws passed to levy fees on coaches,' said Ms Eleana Teo, assistant managing director of Knight Frank Estate Management, which looks after more than 100 properties.

The Straits Times understands that the 'coach commission' by-law has also been introduced at Rio Vista in Hougang and other condominiums in the Choa Chu Kang and Hillview areas. Others, such as Kovan Melody, levy a one-time charge every month.

Coaches affected by the change said that ultimately, swimmers taking lessons there are the ones who will suffer.

'Eventually, the cost will simply be passed on to the resident who asks the coach to come,' said coach Leonard Wong.

The 35-year-old added that he switched to teaching at public pools after the condo he was coaching at introduced a 10 per cent levy.

Mr Wong said that he was able to leave easily because he was teaching only two students, but coaches with big classes of 10 or more usually have no choice but to fork out the money.

Coaching rates range from $45 up to $80 depending on whether the lesson is conducted in a group or one on one.

Out of 30 condo residents who spoke to The Straits Times, 25 said that they would object to such by-laws.

'I already pay high maintenance fees every month - it's obvious most coaches will pass on the levy in their charges - so why am I paying even more just to use my own pool?' said Ms Stacy Rodriguez, 25, who takes swimming lessons twice a week at her condo in the East.

The five who supported the levy said it would deter coaches from taking on too many students and crowding the pool.

'Sometimes when I want to swim laps in the evening, I can hardly swim three strokes before bumping into a student or a coach,' said retired teacher Madam Ong Moey Lan, 49, who lives at Azalea Park.

'Some classes are so big that the kids are swimming everywhere unsupervised, so I think it's necessary.'

A spokesman for Savills CKH Pte Ltd, which manages Azalea Park, declined to comment yesterday, saying that the condominium's residential manager was overseas.

[email protected]