PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best property type for retirement?

bigapplefan
18-01-12, 16:41
I am just wondering what type of homes do pple typically retire in and which is the best financial choice and the reasons for doing so.

LH/FH Condo - Expensive maintanence fees, may not be viable if one is old and not employed anymore
FH landed - But when one is old already don't need that much space

By the way I mean retire in Singapore, not JB ok

ikan bilis
18-01-12, 16:48
"LH/FH Condo - Expensive maintanence fees, may not be viable if one is old and not employed anymore
FH landed - But when one is old already don't need that much space"

=> Answer: HDB lor... :D

azeoprop
18-01-12, 17:00
I think a FH apartment with minimum facilities and maintance fee would be best. :D

sh
18-01-12, 17:01
I am just wondering what type of homes do pple typically retire in and which is the best financial choice and the reasons for doing so.

LH/FH Condo - Expensive maintanence fees, may not be viable if one is old and not employed anymore

Condo: don't have to maintain gardens, pay lor... no stairs too...
landed: cannot climb stairs how?
FH: if got decendents.
LH: if got no decendents

:D

Allthepies
18-01-12, 17:04

old folks home? :D children send them there hee hee

bigapplefan
18-01-12, 17:11
"LH/FH Condo - Expensive maintanence fees, may not be viable if one is old and not employed anymore
FH landed - But when one is old already don't need that much space"

=> Answer: HDB lor... :D

i know hdb is the best, but what if one owns pte property, then how to buy hdb without having to rush to sell off the pte property within 6 months.

bigapplefan
18-01-12, 17:12
old folks home? :D children send them there hee hee

i tot old folks home also very expensive..haha

buttercarp
18-01-12, 17:18
My dream is to retire in a boat house. I mean a real boat.
I don't know how much it is going to cost and maintain, but it should be less owning a property on land.

bigapplefan
18-01-12, 17:27
My dream is to retire in a boat house. I mean a real boat.
I don't know how much it is going to cost and maintain, but it should be less owning a property on land.

what if got storm or worst.. tsunami.. old already cannot take it liao

ikan bilis
18-01-12, 17:33
heehee..... i think she loves rocking bed.... :ashamed1: :D

Rosy
18-01-12, 18:23
i know hdb is the best, but what if one owns pte property, then how to buy hdb without having to rush to sell off the pte property within 6 months.

you can always sell pte property first before you buy HDB. HDB completion takes about 2months whereas u can stretch your condo sales completion to 3-4mths

HDB is good for retirement as it is near to amenities and cheap food

mantrix
18-01-12, 19:31
if retire around 60 years old

- get FH condo in good location
- get LH > 80 years so can pass on in good location

Mr.Keh
18-01-12, 19:51
Hdb is best for low costs and frequent s&c rebates. If need facilities get small studio with low maint.

Mr.Keh
18-01-12, 19:52
if retire around 60 years old

- get FH condo in good location
- get LH > 80 years so can pass on in good location

True. Best get novena or chinatown there... Near hospitals too.

mantrix
18-01-12, 20:17

Sky@11 best cos next to Lee Ah Mooi home and Novena hospital :D

Komo
18-01-12, 20:21
Sky@11 best cos next to Lee Ah Mooi home and Novena hospital :D

Lee Ah Mooi home better :D :D

richwang
18-01-12, 21:28
plenty of space, high class hospital. Never mind no job opportunities (retired).

Thanks,
Richard

kane
18-01-12, 21:38
1) big development - so that you have neighbours to hang out with in the abundance of facility and the share of maintenance cost will be lowered

2) near mall or amenities - so that getting food and buying groceries will be convenient

3) 3 or 4 bedder if you're expecting grandchildren to come hang out weekly.

fclim
18-01-12, 21:47
1) big development - so that you have neighbours to hang out with in the abundance of facility and the share of maintenance cost will be lowered

2) near mall or amenities - so that getting food and buying groceries will be convenient

3) 3 or 4 bedder if you're expecting grandchildren to come hang out weekly.

Welcome to The Minton, One Home Three Worlds.:D

Wah, got heated pool somemore. Good for old bones and rheumatism.:sleep:

kane
18-01-12, 21:48
Welcome to The Minton, One Home Three Worlds.:D

Wah, got heated pool somemore. Good for old bones and rheumatism.:sleep:

you agent for minton? heh heh.

Rezo
18-01-12, 22:00
Not in Singapore!

You can find beautiful bungalow in a green natural enviroment for retirement and I believe the price is much cheaper than private condo in Singapore!!!!

fclim
18-01-12, 22:02
you agent for minton? heh heh.

Noooooo.....minton seems to fit your criteria, except maybe s/n 2. But got some coffee shops and supermart nearby.

kane
18-01-12, 22:06
all 3 are useful points for retirees. i don't know which development has all those qualities either. haha.

TKT
18-01-12, 22:19
Old liao, cannot take stairs and cannot take care of big spaces, so landed not so suitable.

HDB, dunno lei, think not very safe... nowadays hard to say liao, project next 20-30 years from now, who knows?

So, my choice : Buy older EC, located near amenities

Definitely got to pay maintenance but you also pay for nicer environment and some security.

99yrs, so what?
You not going to live forever and cannot take it with you.
Can pass to next generation, still got high value in Spore la.

:47:

teddybear
18-01-12, 22:29
And easily got robbed, mugged, or even raped every week? :scared-1:

plenty of space, high class hospital. Never mind no job opportunities (retired).

Thanks,
Richard

teddybear
18-01-12, 22:33
HDB:
Cannot sleep well, no sound proofing at all! Old already can get waken up easily.
Can't enjoy life when every day find the lift so smelly with urinate and common area so dirty, especially dead cockroaches every where!
No gym, no swimming pool to exercise to keep.
Easy target of muggers, burglars, robbers etc.
Can get dengue easily, old people get dengue means >80% sure die! :scared-1:

Got money just spend lah, save so much for what? Can bring into coffin? Anyway bring inside people will also dig you up with those money! :mad:

Old liao, cannot take stairs and cannot take care of big spaces, so landed not so suitable.

HDB, dunno lei, think not very safe... nowadays hard to say liao, project next 20-30 years from now, who knows?

So, my choice : Buy older EC, located near amenities

Definitely got to pay maintenance but you also pay for nicer environment and some security.

99yrs, so what?
You not going to live forever and cannot take it with you.
Can pass to next generation, still got high value in Spore la.

:47:

bigapplefan
18-01-12, 23:36
Wah why so many Adverts here. Haha

bigapplefan
18-01-12, 23:38
HDB:
Cannot sleep well, no sound proofing at all! Old already can get waken up easily.
Can't enjoy life when every day find the lift so smelly with urinate and common area so dirty, especially dead cockroaches every where!

Got money just spend lah, save so much for what? Can bring into coffin? Anyway bring inside people will also dig you up with those money! :mad:
When one is old, usually dont have much money wor. All spent on medical.
Hdb got so bad meh

yaozong7
19-01-12, 00:03
If no money, retire in JB or Penang lor. If got money, go Australia (Perth, Melbourne, Sydney) or Vancouver.

If scared of robbery in Malaysia, buy gated n guarded lah.... Sometimes poor Sinkies need to step out and see the world lah........If rich like Teddybear and also loves Singapore so v much, then retire in Bukit Timah landed with a maid lor.......

To get the best bang for your buck if you are not rich, please dun retire in Singapore....Things will just get worse and worse....

chiaberry
19-01-12, 05:35
Buy 2 or 3 bedder FH resale condo PH (so that neighbours on top will not have leakages into your unit). Rewire and change all the plumbing. Renovate to your taste. Should be near to shops and MRT. With a pool and gym for exercising (this is important to maintain health as you age).

ysyap
19-01-12, 05:44
Not so much the facilities available in the condo but where your friends and old pals are. Upon retirement, usually weekdays will be spent having coffee with good friends to chit chat. Must have nearby amenities for grocery shopping, etc. A decent sized unit like 2 bedder will be more than sufficient unless children who chose to stay with you for various reasons. :)

kane
19-01-12, 07:46
Not so much the facilities available in the condo but where your friends and old pals are. Upon retirement, usually weekdays will be spent having coffee with good friends to chit chat. Must have nearby amenities for grocery shopping, etc. A decent sized unit like 2 bedder will be more than sufficient unless children who chose to stay with you for various reasons. :)

Over time, friends would have moved all over the island so have to make new friends in the neighbourhood and having a big community helps facilitate that.

ysyap
19-01-12, 07:49
Over time, friends would have moved all over the island so have to make new friends in the neighbourhood and having a big community helps facilitate that.Well, like what someone mentioned, Minton is one such neighbourhood... :cheers5:

TKT
19-01-12, 12:53
HDB:

Read my post again... that's why i said choose EC, that are near amenities! :doh:

EC is definitely safer, have some facilities incase you want to use gym or pool and generally the living environment and pace is more relaxed.

evergreen
19-01-12, 13:20
HDB:
Agree. Very hard to find HDB flat that's not noisy. Then there's the weddings and whatever noisy functions at the void deck, volume on amplifiers turned up max.
Lifts and common areas are dirtied as soon as they are cleaned by the cleaners. After fumugation, cockroaches are everywhere. In some very old flats, I dare not open the bin in the house. Disgusting. :scared-4:
And people ask me why I don't want to wait till I'm 35 and buy HDB. (Price now is about 350K incl. COV for resale HDB in outskirts, plus confirmed need to spend money on renovation.)

sh
19-01-12, 18:47
Agree. Very hard to find HDB flat that's not noisy. Then there's the weddings and whatever noisy functions at the void deck, volume on amplifiers turned up max.
Lifts and common areas are dirtied as soon as they are cleaned by the cleaners. After fumugation, cockroaches are everywhere. In some very old flats, I dare not open the bin in the house. Disgusting. :scared-4:
And people ask me why I don't want to wait till I'm 35 and buy HDB. (Price now is about 350K incl. COV for resale HDB in outskirts, plus confirmed need to spend money on renovation.)

noisy nevermind lah... can't hear anymore anyway.....:(

teddybear
19-01-12, 19:03
Urine in lift never mind because can't smell?
No food to eat never mind because the floor full of food (cockroaches) to eat? :scared-1:

noisy nevermind lah... can't hear anymore anyway.....:(

evergreen
19-01-12, 19:27
Urine in lift never mind because can't smell?
No food to eat never mind because the floor full of food (cockroaches) to eat? :scared-1:

When old, cockroaches and keropok look and taste the same :D

Laguna
19-01-12, 22:25
I went to Penang three times in the last month, had a good property tour, a family holiday and a revisit of a property I wanted to buy.

Visited many bungalows and super-condo there. Super-condo refers to those more than 4000 or 5000 sq ft, newly completed...so cheap...and almost placed the deposit for a super condo with a superb seaview..

But after all the visits, and decided...still here the best...it is very difficult to uproot to another place even though it is not far.

So, stay put with my current retirement home, a condo, FH
I ruled out landed completely....

samuelk
21-01-12, 17:50

Speaking of Hospital, just saw one of the most beautiful hospital in SG. Khoo Teck Phuat Hospital.

And I think across the road is a development that is coming up.

azeoprop
21-01-12, 18:29
Speaking of Hospital, just saw one of the most beautiful hospital in SG. Khoo Teck Phuat Hospital.

And I think across the road is a development that is coming up.

That development should be adora green dbss.

http://www.adoragreen.sg/

azeoprop
21-01-12, 18:31
Well, like what someone mentioned, Minton is one such neighbourhood... :cheers5:

3 worlds of Minton awaits you.... :D

...Heaven Earth and Hell. :rolleyes:

kane
21-01-12, 19:28
I went to Penang three times in the last month, had a good property tour, a family holiday and a revisit of a property I wanted to buy.

Visited many bungalows and super-condo there. Super-condo refers to those more than 4000 or 5000 sq ft, newly completed...so cheap...and almost placed the deposit for a super condo with a superb seaview..

But after all the visits, and decided...still here the best...it is very difficult to uproot to another place even though it is not far.

So, stay put with my current retirement home, a condo, FH
I ruled out landed completely....

Half super condo good enough la. Anytime you feel like it, just pack up and stay there for a few months.

roly8
21-01-12, 21:11
Condo: don't have to maintain gardens, pay lor... no stairs too...
landed: cannot climb stairs how?
FH: if got decendents.
LH: if got no decendents

i like this..

i also consider about stairs case issue if choose landed.. :D

but i know very rich one have lift in their bungalow :D

teddybear
21-01-12, 21:18
But lift will break down, and they won't have the technician on-call 24 hours a day. What happen if break down at night and are trapped in it? No phone in the lift also right? :mad:

i like this..

i also consider about stairs case issue if choose landed.. :D

but i know very rich one have lift in their bungalow :D

roly8
21-01-12, 21:22
But lift will break down, and they won't have the technician on-call 24 hours a day. What happen if break down at night and are trapped in it? No phone in the lift also right? :mad:

i think they can do those wheel chair friendly slope like what you see around the island nowadays.. :D

quite cool :D:D