PDA

View Full Version : What makes this property boom different from the past booms?

hayata1972
03-05-07, 22:57
What makes this property boom different from the past booms? Please give me your views.

Madeira
03-05-07, 23:37
A very interesting thread for discussion. Let me start.

The last boom which ended in 1996 involved not just core central region properties but also HDB flats. At their highs, some executive HDB flats in Queenstown, Bishan and perhaps a few other locations, were transacted at about $800,000. Across the board, all types of properties rallied.

This time round, the HDB market is still quite muted, but there are now signs that things are stirring for HDB in desired locations like Queentown, Toa Payoh. Suburbs private condos are also beginning to move.

It makes me conclude that the bull run in the property market would spread to outskirt area soon. So we are still in the beginning of the run-up.

Beng
04-05-07, 10:10
Last time. Developing country. Economy boom. Many jobs. People become richer. Everybody upgrades. Upgrade means bottoms up.

Now. Developed country, first world and Asia Hub. Low-end jobs lost to developing countries. Middle-level jobs faced salary ceiling challenge from other developing/developed countries and foreigners/immigrants. High-end jobs in high demand. Lots of investment/funds/cash coming in. Quite a number of rich immigrants.

Funds buy private condos. High-end condos preffered for investment purpose. Rich immigants also buy high-end condos (and some also buy landed properties). None of them are keen on low-end condos (suburb condos). So much funds/cash/investments, so little high-end condos. Somemore got many idoits go enblocs. So prices go up, up and up.

Some high-end earners slowly can't buy high-end condos, so buy middle-level condos. So middle-level condo prices also go up. Got more middle-level condos, so prices go up slower than high-end condos.

One day, some high-end earners can't afford middle-level condos, so they buy low-end condos. So, low-end condos will also go up.

Another day, (upper) middle-level earner can't afford low-end condos, so they buy the big HDB flats.

............. all top-down due to inflow of investments/funds/rich immigrants.

1996: People get richer. Upgrade. Bottoms up.
2005: Investment/funds/cash/rich immigrants come in. Invest. Top down.

Unregistered
04-05-07, 10:19
Last boom had a great bearing on the handing over of Hongkong. You can see that by the third quarter of 1996, most honkongers who wanted to move to S'pore bought their flats, and then the boom also became flat....

So, it may be safer this time, but be alert on the economic cycle, which is beyond the control of S'pore.

Mat

1996!
04-05-07, 11:31
A very interesting thread for discussion. Let me start.

The last boom which ended in 1996 involved not just core central region properties but also HDB flats. At their highs, some executive HDB flats in Queenstown, Bishan and perhaps a few other locations, were transacted at about $800,000. Across the board, all types of properties rallied.

This time round, the HDB market is still quite muted, but there are now signs that things are stirring for HDB in desired locations like Queentown, Toa Payoh. Suburbs private condos are also beginning to move.

It makes me conclude that the bull run in the property market would spread to outskirt area soon. So we are still in the beginning of the run-up.
Very sad that i missed 1996. I was still in the army.....SOB... If not maybe a millionaire already... Now only hope this time can make money....HDB up to $800,000?!!!! Shit, now hdb only inched up by less than 3% points.

Bypasser
04-05-07, 11:57
Very sad that i missed 1996. I was still in the army.....SOB... If not maybe a millionaire already... Now only hope this time can make money....HDB up to $800,000?!!!! Shit, now hdb only inched up by less than 3% points.

Like what Ah Beng said, the current boom is top-down.
For HDB to edge up 10%, the low-end condo pricings have to be out of reach to potential buyers. For the low-end condo pricings to go up, the middle-level condo pricings have to be out of reach to potential buyers. For the middle-level condo pricings to go up, the high-end condo pricings have to be out of reach to potential buyers.

Is the high-end pricings out of reach to potential buyers now? Yes but only some buyers. These "some" buyers are now buying the middle-level condo. The middle-level condo is still affordable to many. So low-end condo and HDB will have to wait for their turns.

kanalan
04-05-07, 12:44
Like what Ah Beng said, the current boom is top-down.
For HDB to edge up 10%, the low-end condo pricings have to be out of reach to potential buyers. For the low-end condo pricings to go up, the middle-level condo pricings have to be out of reach to potential buyers. For the middle-level condo pricings to go up, the high-end condo pricings have to be out of reach to potential buyers.

Is the high-end pricings out of reach to potential buyers now? Yes but only some buyers. These "some" buyers are now buying the middle-level condo. The middle-level condo is still affordable to many. So low-end condo and HDB will have to wait for their turns.
Shit, i hope by the time low-end start to climb, the bubble have not burst yet. In other words low end will have a lowest gain at the shortest time possible. sigh.........

Bypasser
04-05-07, 15:06
Shit, i hope by the time low-end start to climb, the bubble have not burst yet. In other words low end will have a lowest gain at the shortest time possible. sigh.........

<< Top-down Effect >>
High-end: very low few units so prices go up, up and up.
Low-end: a lot of units so prices go up in smaller percentage and slower.
HDB: too many units, difficult to have high percentage increase.

Pls help me.
04-05-07, 16:10
Hello all condo owners. I need some advise and opinions. I just inherited some money and i was looking at east coast area to purchase a condo for staying and investing. I had been to a few places.

1). Melvern springs (penthouse 2+1)@$980,000 built in 1100+sft and 900+PES
2). Spring@katong (penthouse 3+1)@$870,000 built in 1300+sft and 400+PES
3). Cote d'azur (mid floor 2+1)@$830,000 and others. 1000+sft and 80+PES
4). Costel del sol (mid floor 3+1)@$955,000 and others. 1300+sft and 80+PES
5). Waterplace (low floor 2+1)@$978,000. 1000+sft, no PES
6). Santuary green (mid floor 3+1)@$910,000. 1100+sft, 50+PES

Melvern springs, i like the cosy compounds but it is within the joo chiat area(not conducive for family to walk around). Also looks abit old and PES is too big, sad part is on top of penthouse is no view because it is too low. Spring@katong, i like the penthouse because there is split live in space for 2 floors and PES on both floors,lovely swimming pool, nice people there. Saw angmohs and indians, but it is next to an indian temple which is very noisy. Same area as melvern, but away one road from joo chiat.
Cote d'azur is a good place to live in, nice enviornment, nice pools, nice community, next to parkway parade, bus stop next door, super convinient. But i am worry about the new freehold condos coming up surrounding it. When they TOP, i am worried about the fate of Cote d'azur. Will the other projects gun down Cote?
Costal del sol, nice big compound, massive community, a bit HK style look, very nice view though, but a bit of the end of the ECP, i think , it is on the far side, cannot see town. Only changi airport direction. Nice sea view with not blockage if you can get high floors.
Waterplace, i love their swimming pool and compound, very impressed with the project, developer is asking 1200psf!! shit, my agent got me some choices in secondary market about 1000psf. Also a bit ulu at Tanjong rhu. But one thing though, looking out the unit, i see the Singapore flyer very near also see golf course. Feel very good, maybe because i kena brainwashed by media too much. IR, flyer, IR, flyer. Noisy in this unit because of ECP.
Santuary green, just next to waterplace, entrance not very immpresive after seeing waterplace. buildings like costel del sol, very HK structures. But i like the second pool facing ECP, very resort like. Saw the unit, wow, again i see the Singapore flyer and golf course, in fact better view than waterplace. Nearer even.
Overall, all has good and bad. Pls give me some ideas which would you choose?

Unregistered
04-05-07, 16:35
Hi,

Personally I would get either Cote d'Azur or Sanctuary Green.

Why?

Cote dazur: next to Parkway Parade. Because of this amenity so close by, demand will always be high. Amberville next door yet to launch. When it does, you can be sure some of its prestige and hig prices wil rub off on Cote.

Sanctuary Green: 1) Tanjong Rhu is growth location. Prices can only go up from here. Preferred residence for most expats living in the East, the other is Meyer Rd but that is irrelevant cos freehold and twice the prices of Tanjong Rhu.

2) Likely well-educated and genteel residents. Take a drive around the parking lots. Many continental cars especially the 'yuppie' type such as BMW and Audi, non-modified. That should be a giveaway to the resident profile. Good condo management.

Not familiar with Melvern Springs and Springs@Katong so can't comment.

Water Place: Far East project. Draw your own conclusions. They found it impossible to finish selling before the property boom. Why? Expensive, big units. Really not many people wanted. Sanctuary Green was also in the same situation but at least it is much lower in price.

Costa Del Sol: generic HK style condo. Meaning it has very little frills, even less gloss. Take a walk around the estate. Facilities are of a low quality and standard. Before the boom, this project was standing in darkness for years - more than half of units were vacant. They had to BEG people to buy.

Hope my comments were helpful to you. :)

MIA
04-05-07, 16:55
<< Top-down Effect >>
High-end: very low few units so prices go up, up and up.
Low-end: a lot of units so prices go up in smaller percentage and slower.
HDB: too many units, difficult to have high percentage increase.

How to speed up the Top-down Effect?

Pls help me.
04-05-07, 17:44
Hi,

Personally I would get either Cote d'Azur or Sanctuary Green.

Why?

Cote dazur: next to Parkway Parade. Because of this amenity so close by, demand will always be high. Amberville next door yet to launch. When it does, you can be sure some of its prestige and hig prices wil rub off on Cote.

Sanctuary Green: 1) Tanjong Rhu is growth location. Prices can only go up from here. Preferred residence for most expats living in the East, the other is Meyer Rd but that is irrelevant cos freehold and twice the prices of Tanjong Rhu.

2) Likely well-educated and genteel residents. Take a drive around the parking lots. Many continental cars especially the 'yuppie' type such as BMW and Audi, non-modified. That should be a giveaway to the resident profile. Good condo management.

Not familiar with Melvern Springs and Springs@Katong so can't comment.

Water Place: Far East project. Draw your own conclusions. They found it impossible to finish selling before the property boom. Why? Expensive, big units. Really not many people wanted. Sanctuary Green was also in the same situation but at least it is much lower in price.

Costa Del Sol: generic HK style condo. Meaning it has very little frills, even less gloss. Take a walk around the estate. Facilities are of a low quality and standard. Before the boom, this project was standing in darkness for years - more than half of units were vacant. They had to BEG people to buy.

Hope my comments were helpful to you. :)

Thanks for your advise. In fact i have already narrowed down to santuary green. Problem right now is the seller is giving me a headache. The price they quoted was $910,000 for the 4 flr 1152 sqft unit. Now they are asking for more!!!! Shit! the bloody agent acting for them is asking me to give them a price, this is very unprofessional......

Unregistered
04-05-07, 18:01
Thanks for your advise. In fact i have already narrowed down to santuary green. Problem right now is the seller is giving me a headache. The price they quoted was $910,000 for the 4 flr 1152 sqft unit. Now they are asking for more!!!! Shit! the bloody agent acting for them is asking me to give them a price, this is very unprofessional......
Don't be too surprised about this kind of situation. This owner is basically what we call as "fishing". Looks like there is not real intention to sell. If not they will give you a firm offer for you. Either that or they want you to give them a offer they can't refuse. This kind of market is better to sell than to buy. Don't fret about it, this is just the beginning.

Seller
04-05-07, 18:09

Please give me some good reasons why I should sell to you.

Bypasser
04-05-07, 18:13
How to speed up the Top-down Effect?

Lure more High-Net-Worth Individuals into the country lah.

Teacher
04-05-07, 18:22
Last time. Developing country. Economy boom. Many jobs. People become richer. Everybody upgrades. Upgrade means bottoms up.

Now. Developed country, first world and Asia Hub. Low-end jobs lost to developing countries. Middle-level jobs faced salary ceiling challenge from other developing/developed countries and foreigners/immigrants. High-end jobs in high demand. Lots of investment/funds/cash coming in. Quite a number of rich immigrants.

Funds buy private condos. High-end condos preffered for investment purpose. Rich immigants also buy high-end condos (and some also buy landed properties). None of them are keen on low-end condos (suburb condos). So much funds/cash/investments, so little high-end condos. Somemore got many idoits go enblocs. So prices go up, up and up.

Some high-end earners slowly can't buy high-end condos, so buy middle-level condos. So middle-level condo prices also go up. Got more middle-level condos, so prices go up slower than high-end condos.

One day, some high-end earners can't afford middle-level condos, so they buy low-end condos. So, low-end condos will also go up.

Another day, (upper) middle-level earner can't afford low-end condos, so they buy the big HDB flats.

............. all top-down due to inflow of investments/funds/rich immigrants.

1996: People get richer. Upgrade. Bottoms up.
2005: Investment/funds/cash/rich immigrants come in. Invest. Top down.

As this boom is top down, all of you should go buy high-end properties first, then followed by middle-level ones, then followed by low-end ones.

buyer
04-05-07, 18:29
As this boom is top down, all of you should go buy high-end properties first, then followed by middle-level ones, then followed by low-end ones.
This is damn true loh. I agree with you 100%!

Think with your brains
05-05-07, 09:04
QUOTE=Economist]Friends!

1. The government is not worried about the red-hot property market.

2. Rising property prices are a logical consequence of good economy policies.

3. We are still a lower-cost city among the global financial centres. We are about a 1/3 of London, 40% of HongKong and about 60% of Tokyo.

4. We are not anywhere near the point of excessive price inflation in property market.

5. The government is comfortable as the mass market is not involved in the frenzy.

So, what are you waiting for?[/QUOTE]
Because
1. The government is making too much money in this red-hot market. URA selling pockets of land at record smashing prices, GLCs eg:- capitaland, keppel land and ..... cashing in tremendous amounts.
2. Rising property prices in singapore are a logical consequence of Good hype, buzz and marketing(artificially proped up).
3. Our pay is 1/3 london, 2/5 hongkong and 3/5 tokyo. So?
Ministers pay 300% london, 150% hongkong, 200% tokyo.
Country size 1/100 london, 1/2 hongkong, 1/40 tokyo.
4. Yes, we are not. Just that only the rich can get richer.
5. Government is definately comfortable as the 95% of singaporeans have no part of this money making sector, best part is that they still get pay rise.

Supporter
05-05-07, 10:11
Because
1. The government is making too much money in this red-hot market. URA selling pockets of land at record smashing prices, GLCs eg:- capitaland, keppel land and ..... cashing in tremendous amounts.
2. Rising property prices in singapore are a logical consequence of Good hype, buzz and marketing(artificially proped up).
3. Our pay is 1/3 london, 2/5 hongkong and 3/5 tokyo. So?
Ministers pay 300% london, 150% hongkong, 200% tokyo.
Country size 1/100 london, 1/2 hongkong, 1/40 tokyo.
4. Yes, we are not. Just that only the rich can get richer.
5. Government is definately comfortable as the 95% of singaporeans have no part of this money making sector, best part is that they still get pay rise.

Thanks for confirming that there will be record smashing prices and rising property prices.

Time to create more wealth out of the market man!
Yes!

FO
06-05-07, 12:22
This website full of investors, gamblers and property agents that think that people will get brainwashed and start buying anything. So that their commitments at stake will reap in more money for them.
This website has a bunch of Motherfxxkin axxholes with brains filled with shXt from the toilet in istana.

Manner
06-05-07, 12:31
This website full of investors, gamblers and property agents that think that people will get brainwashed and start buying anything. So that their commitments at stake will reap in more money for them.
This website has a bunch of Motherfxxkin axxholes with brains filled with shXt from the toilet in istana.

FO, stop your vulgarities here. You are disgracing yourself!

hayata1972
06-05-07, 12:55
Ist casualty, FO. Do not blame us for your problems. Find a solution.
:2cents:

Boon
06-05-07, 22:04
I remember in the 1990s, we had queues for first time HDB flats so much so one would ROM now and in two years time, get his/her flat and do the customary wedding - that was quite typical back then. It was also anecdotal evidence that we had a big demand-supply imbalance that was being led by demand from the masses ie bottom up. As HDB prices were pushed up as a result, we had the upgraders-led property boom and that saw price rise across the island and all segments.

Right now, as many had rightly pointed out, this is a top down property boom but I believe its a "central"-led boom and not a "pte property" boom as some believe. I believe most of the price rise will be focused on the central area - I've written in another thread of Singapore being a Megacity and prices correlating with how far one is from the central. At the moment, I think we are seeing a re-rating of property prices to reflect a cultural change in mind-set i.e. more of us want to live near the city or invest in units near the city in expectations that further down the road, prices here will be much higher.

In the long-run, in the next 10-20 years, I think properties in the central will double. When you have so many foreigners coming in, a more affluent society, and limited residential land in the central, that's a given. If anyone wants to build a retirement nest egg, I believe they should pick up a unit in the central during the next recession.

But outside of the central, I am not too sure. There is still vast tracks of land to build apartments on ie supply can be made available. Yes some projects outside the city have sold out recently, but I wonder how much of this has actually got to do with kiasu-nism (those who want to speculate but cannot afford to take the risk associated with central projects) and admittedly pent-up demand over the years. Once prices outside of the central fail to go up as expected (thus dousing the specualtion herre) and the existing pent-up demand is filled, I think the trend I am talking about will be clear.

So in summary, in the current property boom unlike the previous across the island rise, I think we'll see an exponential rise in property prices based on the yard-stick of how far such properties are away from the central.

Just a note - HDBs in the central area are doing very well too, disproving the thoughts of many who say HBDs are lagging in price. Of course, we cannot expect HDBs to go up >50% like some pte properties but I know for a fact that HDB flats in Hong Lim (which is the closest you can get to Raffles Place) are up 30% over the past 5 years.

Unregistered
07-05-07, 04:31
i have this strong feeling that at the next recession, the lows of the so-called prime/central properties will not be anywere near the current prices.

Boon
07-05-07, 09:54
Exactly my sentiment!
With this cultural shift in mindset to live in the city, any drop in price even in a recession will see ready buyers come in. I know of a bunch of friends who are already sitting by the sidelines - renting at the moment - and waiting for a recession before committing into a good unit(s).

Patience and study.
07-05-07, 11:24
Yes, i sold my unit for a $500,000 profit. My father who is in his late 60's told me to rent and wait. But looking at the current market, i did not rent. Instead, i bought a unit which did not go up that much yet, which i did research in. That was early march. Now owners there are asking for 60% more than what i bought for. The market is still moving up, i realised as long as you buy into a project that has good potential and not ridiculous in price, you can actually make more than 40% when you sell. If you pick up on a project that is already on a roll and the price has already picked up alot, you are actually buying on a risk. If there is a correction, the damage can be very substential.

Patience and study.
07-05-07, 11:38
Market playing is the same for all investments. Be it property and shares. Now is not say the time to sell or to hold only. You can still buy, but you have to buy very wisely. Prime areas are already very expensive. But there are still areas to buy. Sub-prime and east coast i would say still has alot of good grabs, even though the prices have already climbed up. Bukit timah, i think still has some underpriced items. I still have some money left to throw 1 more time, anyone can recommend me something?

Unregistered
07-05-07, 13:37
Market playing is the same for all investments. Be it property and shares. Now is not say the time to sell or to hold only. You can still buy, but you have to buy very wisely. Prime areas are already very expensive. But there are still areas to buy. Sub-prime and east coast i would say still has alot of good grabs, even though the prices have already climbed up. Bukit timah, i think still has some underpriced items. I still have some money left to throw 1 more time, anyone can recommend me something?

For mass market project, the golden rule of thumb must be "rental yield"
Yield less than 5% or above, do even waste time in considering it. In fact, since the rental rises much earlier than property price in the recent upswing, the best way to gauage the worth of the property should be looking at above 6.5% yield

Unregistered
07-05-07, 14:14
For mass market project, the golden rule of thumb must be "rental yield"
Yield less than 5% or above, do even waste time in considering it. In fact, since the rental rises much earlier than property price in the recent upswing, the best way to gauage the worth of the property should be looking at above 6.5% yield

How to calculate rental yield? Sorry... me newbie.. :o

Unregistered
07-05-07, 15:23
Yes, i sold my unit for a $500,000 profit. My father who is in his late 60's told me to rent and wait. But looking at the current market, i did not rent. Instead, i bought a unit which did not go up that much yet, which i did research in. That was early march. Now owners there are asking for 60% more than what i bought for. The market is still moving up, i realised as long as you buy into a project that has good potential and not ridiculous in price, you can actually make more than 40% when you sell. If you pick up on a project that is already on a roll and the price has already picked up alot, you are actually buying on a risk. If there is a correction, the damage can be very substential.
wow, which devt is this? 60% price movement since early mar (as in just 2 months ago)?

Unregistered
07-05-07, 15:54
How to calculate rental yield? Sorry... me newbie.. :o

For property worth 1 million,
to get 5% rental yield, you need to generate at least 50000 per year which is 4500 per month. Don't forget, this is only a gross yield, actual yield is less because you need to pay monthly condos fee, property tax, and some repair work on the property.
To make it worthwhile, one should really be looking at 6% gross yield at least

Unregistered
07-05-07, 16:03
wow, which devt is this? 60% price movement since early mar (as in just 2 months ago)?

Many sellers are in a manic state as they thought property prices are going up by the day in the whole of Singapore. Many agents are afraid to offer clients the bottom line picture and accept the assignemnet to sell the property at 20-50% higher than the last official tarnsacted price.

The mass market new launch are also seeing good take up rate as speculative activity is also spreading to mass market, supported by small time speculators and syndicates. This also help to help inflame the sellers psyche to make them asking for more and more. It is a very stressful time for being the agent. I heard of cases even the agents find the buyer for the property, but the owner changed mind and decided not to sell or asking for 10% more. It is really funny, isn't it?

Unregistered
07-05-07, 16:08
Is it just me or has any of you noticed also: These past couple of weeks there seems to be much fewer sell ads especially for D9-10, D11-21 in the Classifieds, even on Saturdays. In February there were tons of ads making the classifieds quite thick.

Seems like people are holding and not selling, these past couple of weeks.

Joker
07-05-07, 16:14
Is it just me or has any of you noticed also: These past couple of weeks there seems to be much fewer sell ads especially for D9-10, D11-21 in the Classifieds, even on Saturdays. In February there were tons of ads making the classifieds quite thick.

All en-bloc-ed. Nothing to sell. Hee hee!

Unregistered
07-05-07, 16:54

It is because agents finally had enough of the nonsenses from owners of the properties (believe it or not, all districts) for keep asking for higher and higher prices every week even there is no offer comes close to the asking price

Luckily, I made enough money last year and the first two months of this year and decide to take a long vacation in Europe. What is the point of wasting energy in the market until some senses come back to the sellers.

Boon
07-05-07, 21:02

Yes - i have been looking at properties in the west and adverts there have also dwindled. In particular, I have been following Madiera, a condo in Bt Gombak...a particualr agent had advertised a bunch of units there for the past few months but because the asking rate is so high, the take up rate has been very poor. The advert had been running for a few months and recently I stopped seeing the advert. I do feel for agents who are being put in a difficult position by fickle minded sellers. But I dont symphatize with those whom I call and they answer back "If you dont buy now, you will regret as prices are going higher".

I suspect we have reached a point where sellers are not budging and still ask for the sky while buyers are not willing to be taken for a ride and keeping to the sidelines also. I think the caveats coming out for April will show very little activity taking place esp after the sharp price hike in that month. Anybody know what prices jumped in April? I suspect the yearly bonus attributed to it but just a guess.

Just to share, someone apparently bought a Northvale unit around $480k even without viewing the unit!!!:doh:

SAD TRUTH
07-05-07, 23:57
Yes - i have been looking at properties in the west and adverts there have also dwindled. In particular, I have been following Madiera, a condo in Bt Gombak...a particualr agent had advertised a bunch of units there for the past few months but because the asking rate is so high, the take up rate has been very poor. The advert had been running for a few months and recently I stopped seeing the advert. I do feel for agents who are being put in a difficult position by fickle minded sellers. But I dont symphatize with those whom I call and they answer back "If you dont buy now, you will regret as prices are going higher".

I suspect we have reached a point where sellers are not budging and still ask for the sky while buyers are not willing to be taken for a ride and keeping to the sidelines also. I think the caveats coming out for April will show very little activity taking place esp after the sharp price hike in that month. Anybody know what prices jumped in April? I suspect the yearly bonus attributed to it but just a guess.

Just to share, someone apparently bought a Northvale unit around $480k even without viewing the unit!!!:doh:
Singaporeans are brained wash by the media, this year can go up by 20%, next year by 30%. All these are ambiguous statements thru our Media by our polictitions and institutions that gain from it. They are just interested in making the broad public go into a buying frenzy and pick up all the overpriced launches. Because when the broad market picks up, guess you gain the most? We are just individuals. They are Gov, developers, institutions, banks and property transaction companies.

Gov gains by releasing land at extremly high prices that were either aquired cheap or even free.
Developers gains by selling new launches at ridiculous prices, plus raise the prices of TOPed projects that still have unsold units.
Instituions gains by buying up prime properties here and justify the purchaces by issuing shares(IPO) or diluting the share value by issuing more. Buy up more and more to push prices up as to wait for the right time for release. The best part is the money they use for these purchases are not even their money, haha, it is the public money again. Property Reits involved.
Banks needless to say. Property market boom = Super business for banks.
Raise interest rate, push out more bank loans....
Property companies will get their cut/commision on every sale. The more the transactions, the more the profit.
These are the people that say the market is booming. sounds like they have alot in stake to be un-bias when reporting news don't you think so?

Londoner
08-05-07, 09:03
Singaporeans are brained wash by the media, this year can go up by 20%, next year by 30%. All these are ambiguous statements thru our Media by our polictitions and institutions that gain from it. They are just interested in making the broad public go into a buying frenzy and pick up all the overpriced launches. Because when the broad market picks up, guess you gain the most? We are just individuals. They are Gov, developers, institutions, banks and property transaction companies.

Gov gains by releasing land at extremly high prices that were either aquired cheap or even free.
Developers gains by selling new launches at ridiculous prices, plus raise the prices of TOPed projects that still have unsold units.
Instituions gains by buying up prime properties here and justify the purchaces by issuing shares(IPO) or diluting the share value by issuing more. Buy up more and more to push prices up as to wait for the right time for release. The best part is the money they use for these purchases are not even their money, haha, it is the public money again. Property Reits involved.
Banks needless to say. Property market boom = Super business for banks.
Raise interest rate, push out more bank loans....
Property companies will get their cut/commision on every sale. The more the transactions, the more the profit.
These are the people that say the market is booming. sounds like they have alot in stake to be un-bias when reporting news don't you think so?

Your statements are totally invalid.
There is no way Blair can jack up the prices of London properties. Property prices go up due to supply and demand.

hayata1972
08-05-07, 12:11
What has happened is that our Gap in SG is getting bigger and bigger everyday, thus red eyes are everywhere. Filty rich are getting even more filty, Rich are getting richer. I can't really blame some people from venting their frustration here. It is just the way of life not only in SG, but the whole world. It is best that everyone is rich, but life does not work this way. Even the communist system which is suppose to be perfect does not work. Life is unfair, so wake up and stop dreaming. Find money, because money does not find you. There will be endless hype and propaganda, just get used to it. :spliff: In fact this hype and buzz was already in the works since 2004. It took 2 yrs plus to bring us up to this stage, we should be happy and rejoice, i am sure the spillover will come to all very soon. As it is, sub-prime is going up. Hdb will have its turn very soon. Patience is golden.:)

LB Kwek
10-05-07, 15:27
"If you look at Forbes' list of the world's richest persons, many of them have their wealth backed by real estate."

- 10 May 2007

Unregistered
11-05-07, 02:55
What has happened is that our Gap in SG is getting bigger and bigger everyday, thus red eyes are everywhere. Filty rich are getting even more filty, Rich are getting richer. I can't really blame some people from venting their frustration here. It is just the way of life not only in SG, but the whole world. It is best that everyone is rich, but life does not work this way. Even the communist system which is suppose to be perfect does not work. Life is unfair, so wake up and stop dreaming. Find money, because money does not find you. There will be endless hype and propaganda, just get used to it. :spliff: In fact this hype and buzz was already in the works since 2004. It took 2 yrs plus to bring us up to this stage, we should be happy and rejoice, i am sure the spillover will come to all very soon. As it is, sub-prime is going up. Hdb will have its turn very soon. Patience is golden.:)

I agree with you, it is happening all over the world. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. Why, cos the rich uses money to make more money, the poor wait for prices to come down, so they wait and wait until they are price out, then they will start complaining. But when prices comes down during a crisis, the poor dare not buy, they will wait again, the rich will buy more cos they have the holding power. When the good times return, the cycle repeat itself. For HBD, it will be very slow except for downtown areas. Why, cos the new ruling effective 1st Jan, requires buyers to get a HBD eligibility letter (stating how much they can loan and the monthly mortgage), anything above loan amount, have to be in cash, therefore limiting what the buyers can afford. Thats is why hdb is building 2 rm flats.

I aslo agree with LB Kwek, forbes list of world richest backed by real estate. Look at spore, who are spore richest, they are all in real estate. Real estate will increase over time but purchasing power of money will become smaller over time, due to inflation. 30 years ago, a 3rm hdb is worth $7k, now is worth $150k and above. 30 years ago, we can buy a bowl of noodle for 10 cents, now it cost $3 or more.

Unregistered
11-05-07, 03:15
What makes this property boom different from the past booms? Please give me your views.

1990s property boom was fuel by hong kong hand over to china, those with money came to spore. Aslo stock market was doing quite well. Then came the crash, maybe due to the capital control and finally the asia finanically crisis add more fuel to it. This time round, the IR is fuelling the boom, IR created a lot of buzz around the world, the rich took notice of spore, compare real estate prices around, spore is cheap, so they start buying. Aslo stock market now is at all time high. see the similarities, crash??? maybe some new ?? control implementation or a stock market crash. China stock market is up 166% from one and a half years ago (1500 to 4000)

Unregistered
11-05-07, 03:37
Dow -126.13

Time for a recession?

BUY BUY BUY!

GAP
11-05-07, 14:42
Sad but true, in fact i see more and more dissatisfied people when they talk about property in singapore. Singaporeans are not trained to be happy when someone they know become richer when they are still stuck in their position. I guess it is the Singapore mentality of singapore NO1. Few people can take it when they are in the bottom or in the middle. We are being taught to strive to be better, to be no1, but when you are having a very hard time even with hardwork and you see certain individuals not working much, yet getting the fruits of their labour, plus getting richer and richer everytime. Deep down in you, you will start to harbour ill feelings and thoughts. The gap is widening like mad and people are getting very pissed.

Teacher
11-05-07, 15:02
But the most important lesson today is to invest in the private property market now and increase your wealth.

There is only so much the government can help you. The government cannot outrightly tell you to invest.

If you don't, your ranking will drop by 2.2 millions in 5-10 years time when Singapore becomes a top-tier first-world country. For example, if your ranking is 1,000,000th out of 4.3 million now, it will become to 3,200,000th out of 6.5 million in 5-10 years time.

We have to move forward to fend off the competitions from the region. We need these additional 2.2 millions "special" citizens to move ourselves into a different league. Please note that these "special" citizens are not your ordinary citizens in the past.

2.2mil
11-05-07, 15:13
But the most important lesson today is to invest in the private property market now and increase your wealth.

There is only so much the government can help you. The government cannot outrightly tell you to invest.

If you don't, your ranking will drop by 2.2 millions in 5-10 years time when Singapore becomes a top-tier first-world country. For example, if your ranking is 1,000,000th out of 4.3 million now, it will become to 3,200,000th out of 6.5 million in 5-10 years time.

We have to move forward to fend off the competitions from the region. We need these additional 2.2 millions "special" citizens to move ourselves into a different league. Please note that these "special" citizens are not your ordinary citizens in the past.
Yup, we need more indian and bangladashi nationals to come to boost up our job economy by taking the low and mid end jobs, also, tons of new chinese nationals, especially sexy women with fake big breast to populate our
country and giving our man relieve from the pressures of city living, 2.2 million worth.

Study
11-05-07, 15:15
Yup, we need more indian and bangladashi nationals to come to boost up our job economy by taking the low and mid end jobs, also, tons of new chinese nationals, especially sexy women with fake big breast to populate our
country and giving our man relieve from the pressures of city living, 2.2 million worth.

Hello!
How you know is fake? Real one lah!

Spore man are sick
11-05-07, 15:28
You man are all very sick and disgusting. I am a 32 yr old married lady with a child and having to live with a disgusting husband that spends more time at some dirty KTV getting god knows what! I feel shame @ the Gov for not doing anything about it. I see more and more china women everywhere.
When you look @ them, they give off a very disgusting vibe. All they are here for is to spoil our families and take our husbands money and in the process ours too. I personally know 5 other women having this problem too. When is this going to stop? when? Now we need more to come into our shores? What is this country becoming? A very large whore house with 2 casinos plus one more in 10 years time? I looked at the sammyboy.com site and i can literally die. I feel very sick, sad and disgusted by all of you. Singapore truly is on the path to self distruction. So long you sick disgusting people.

Unregistered
11-05-07, 15:46
Thanks for confirming that there will be record smashing prices and rising property prices.

Time to create more wealth out of the market man!
Yes!

Do you know how Japan stock market crash 15 years ago even to this day have not fully recovered (at the peak, NIkkei was trading over 30000!)? Do you remember the financial meltdown in asia in 1997? It got a lot to do with the property markets.

I don't think the Govt can afford to let property rises without check because it will eventually price Sinagpore out of the world market when cost of doing business is running much much higher than other places in asia.

hayata1972
11-05-07, 15:58
You man are all very sick and disgusting. I am a 32 yr old married lady with a child and having to live with a disgusting husband that spends more time at some dirty KTV getting god knows what! I feel shame @ the Gov for not doing anything about it. I see more and more china women everywhere.
When you look @ them, they give off a very disgusting vibe. All they are here for is to spoil our families and take our husbands money and in the process ours too. I personally know 5 other women having this problem too. When is this going to stop? when? Now we need more to come into our shores? What is this country becoming? A very large whore house with 2 casinos plus one more in 10 years time? I looked at the sammyboy.com site and i can literally die. I feel very sick, sad and disgusted by all of you. Singapore truly is on the path to self distruction. So long you sick disgusting people.
Mdm, please restrain yourself from acting like this. I know this is a problem, a serious problem. But this is a condo review area. Pls let the authourities know of your complains. That is where you can get some help.

hayata1972
11-05-07, 16:07
Actually, we are all quite puzzled as to what or who are the new citizens coming in. Wonder if our government chooses? And who comes in and who is disallowed to come in? Come to think of it, many people i have spoken to have no idea also. Hopefully, we have less indians workers and china nationals. Not to be racist, but we really need more quality foreigners i rather be a SPG then allow all and sundry to fill up the 2.2 million. Sorry if i offend anyone by this remark.
:beats-me-man:

hayata1972
11-05-07, 16:18
Do you know how Japan stock market crash 15 years ago even to this day have not fully recovered (at the peak, NIkkei was trading over 30000!)? Do you remember the financial meltdown in asia in 1997? It got a lot to do with the property markets.

I don't think the Govt can afford to let property rises without check because it will eventually price Sinagpore out of the world market when cost of doing business is running much much higher than other places in asia.
Actually, i semi agree with you. True that property markets have a lot to do with the recovery of economies but, the ridiculous prices are only in pockets of areas in singapore. Unless HDB becomes overpriced, then i would say, yes the bubble is going to burst. The problem is actually the area in singapore. Cost is only going up in prime areas, there is actually still many areas which have not really gone up that much. You can still find business areas cheap in singapore. Outskirt business areas are still cheap. Condos in westside, changi, north are still relatively affordable. In fact, Orchard still has $3,000 p/mth condos for rent. The bubble is there i agree. But it is still in control. 12 months later i wouldn't know, but now it is definately still ok.

Yiannis Mostrous
11-05-07, 17:01
Yiannis G. Mostrous
Editor
Growth Engines
10 May 2007

Singapore is being transformed to one of Asia’s most-important financial centers as well as a desirable place to live and work. This is a rejuvenation process that should take Singapore once again to the next level of economic development.

On the economic side, a property recovery started last year, which will be extremely beneficial to the local economy. Singapore has declared that investors who put SGD5 million (USD3 million) or more into the country's financial instruments can become permanent residents; up to SGD2 million (USD1.2 million) of that amount can be used to buy property.

The decision illustrates Singapore’s efforts to increase its appeal as a desirable destination for entertainment and high living standards, thus attracting the affluent from across Asia (e.g., Japanese) who want a personal getaway.

The property story--an investment theme I identified in my premium service, The Silk Road Investor (www.silkroadinvestor.com) in September 2006--is getting better by the day. Singapore has been on the receiving end of strong foreign direct investment (FDI) dollars, which at USD12.6 billion in the first half of 2006 is almost twice as much as the FDI that came in the mid-1990s and early 2000. The government has initiated several projects that will result in the investment of more than SGD15 billion (USD9.8 billion) in the tourism sector during the next five years.

A lot of this money is finding its way to real estate--residences, hotels, malls and offices. The high-end residential area is particularly hot among foreign investors, as they currently account for 60% of demand.

This comes as no surprise; in fact, this part of the market should do well in the future, too, as Singapore implements its program for attracting foreign talent to its growing money management industry. This is the main reason prime office rents are rising rapidly in Singapore.

The amount of money under management in Singapore has been growing steadily. It’s expected to grow dramatically in the future as Singapore continues to project itself as a viable, responsible alternative to other banking centers. The interesting statistic, though, is that funds sourced from the Middle East and South Asia grew 30% and 56%, respectively, year over year.

Because the government is repositioning Singapore as a “global city” in which to live, work or just have a good time, a lot of rich people are being persuaded by their money managers to buy luxury property in the country. As a result, new luxury buildings are popping up, and the price per square foot has surpassed, in some cases, USD2,000.

In an effort to enhance the country’s appeal to foreigners, Singapore has also awarded a big casino development project, the Marina Bay Integrated Resort, to Las Vegas Sands Corp. The resort will be ready to open in 2009. The structure will feature three 50-story hotel towers bridged by a two-acre Sky Garden that will offer 360-degree views of the city and the sea. The resort will also include an arts and sciences museum; 1 million square feet of integrated waterside promenade and a shopping arcade; a state-of-the art, 1 million-square-foot convention center; two 2,000-seat theaters; a casino; and a 4,000-car garage.

Local observers expect Singapore’s population to reach 6 million to 7 million by 2015, from 4.4 million now. That would imply a yearly growth rate of 3%, a solid growth number and one that the county’s infrastructure can easily handle. Needless to say, demand for housing and new office space will be huge.

Singapore remains one of the relatively defensive markets in Asia, especially its telecom and bank sectors. The market boasts one of the highest dividend yields in the region at 3.6%.

Observer.
11-05-07, 17:04
Actually, we are all quite puzzled as to what or who are the new citizens coming in. Wonder if our government chooses? And who comes in and who is disallowed to come in? Come to think of it, many people i have spoken to have no idea also. Hopefully, we have less indians workers and china nationals. Not to be racist, but we really need more quality foreigners i rather be a SPG then allow all and sundry to fill up the 2.2 million. Sorry if i offend anyone by this remark.
:beats-me-man:

Yiannis G. Mostrous
Editor
Growth Engines
10 May 2007

Singapore is being transformed to one of Asia’s most-important financial centers as well as a desirable place to live and work. This is a rejuvenation process that should take Singapore once again to the next level of economic development.

.......... Singapore has declared that investors who put SGD5 million (USD3 million) or more into the country's financial instruments can become permanent residents; up to SGD2 million (USD1.2 million) of that amount can be used to buy property.

Singapore remains one of the relatively defensive markets in Asia, especially its telecom and bank sectors. The market boasts one of the highest dividend yields in the region at 3.6%.

Who are these people?
These are the people who put S$5M or more here lah.

Unregistered
11-05-07, 17:29
Who are these people?
These are the people who put S$5M or more here lah.
Hopefully you are right, seems to many people that things are not going that way.

Registered
11-05-07, 22:32
Hopefully you are right, seems to many people that things are not going that way.

Should be right lah!
Now getting ready to zoom past the finishing line.
Up up up!

hayata1972
12-05-07, 11:55
The difference is that this time, we have many projects to back up the property boom. 2 IRs, singapore flyer, sports hub, floating platform, revamping of the whole marina area to a new financial area, marina gardens and the lastest F1 race. The last few booms are definately different from this 2007 boom. This time, the government will not restrict the boom, all the tell-signs are very obvious. Singapore aims to be as expensive as Hongkong, japan and even london. Too bad i have limited cash, if not i will definately invest in 2 more units.:p

Unregistered
12-05-07, 13:54
The difference is that this time, we have many projects to back up the property boom. 2 IRs, singapore flyer, sports hub, floating platform, revamping of the whole marina area to a new financial area, marina gardens and the lastest F1 race. The last few booms are definately different from this 2007 boom. This time, the government will not restrict the boom, all the tell-signs are very obvious. Singapore aims to be as expensive as Hongkong, japan and even london. Too bad i have limited cash, if not i will definately invest in 2 more units.:p

You mean Govt is willing to gamble away your future when the cost is doing business is so high that only casino can survive here? By then, sure need to open more casinos to cut down the unemployment rate.

The recent issue on ministers' pay rise has given the govt some heats and I am not surprised they decided to lie low for a while. Afterall there is reason why they are being pay so much. I am sure they will do what is best and the most important issue for this tiny country certainly is about perserving jobs

Unregistered
12-05-07, 14:19

The mass condo project in Hong kong can easily enjoying 6-7% rental yield. Even with the recent strong rebound in rental, it doesn't help much because property prices in mass market also going up and the rental yield remains less than 4% for most condo projects. If Govt want to see property price in par wtih HK, then the rental yield will drop to 1-2%. How?

screwed
12-05-07, 14:40
The mass condo project in Hong kong can easily enjoying 6-7% rental yield. Even with the recent strong rebound in rental, it doesn't help much because property prices in mass market also going up and the rental yield remains less than 4% for most condo projects. If Govt want to see property price in par wtih HK, then the rental yield will drop to 1-2%. How?
Hahaha, rental yield will be 0.5% if this price hike continues. Normal working singaporeans will be so priced out that they can only rent. Singapore and hongkong will be on par for proerty prices. Landlords are the kings, working class are the slaves. Singapore will be North korea cum Macau cum Hongkong .

Unregistered
12-05-07, 16:02
Hahaha, rental yield will be 0.5% if this price hike continues. Normal working singaporeans will be so priced out that they can only rent. Singapore and hongkong will be on par for proerty prices. Landlords are the kings, working class are the slaves. Singapore will be North korea cum Macau cum Hongkong .

Don't worry, this will never happen as ministers have to make sure every singaporeas are happy because they have next election to worry about.
May be after they sell a lot lands to developers at record prices, they will announce some drastic measures to cool the property market, especially the mass markets and HDB to make sure every singaporeans can afford to buy property.

750hp, 2.4 V8 n.a.
12-05-07, 18:24

That's why .... "buy buy buy"!
Charge!

Just listen carefully.
Press the left paddle twice, drop it to 3rd gear.
Step on the accelerator and make the right turn.
Now press the right paddle once, and then once, and then once.

Correct! That's right!
Charge!
Up up up!

Unregistered
12-05-07, 20:05
Charge!

Just listen carefully.

Correct! That's right!
Charge!
Up up up!

It took me a while to figure out what were you saying
I guess the problem is we property owner don't ride motor bike
why don't you go get a HDB and live happily ever after, it is a gift from us, tax payers

750hp, 2.4 V8 n.a.
12-05-07, 22:46
It took me a while to figure out what were you saying
I guess the problem is we property owner don't ride motor bike
why don't you go get a HDB and live happily ever after, it is a gift from us, tax payers

My god!

Motorcycle got left (for -) and right (for +) paddles meh?
Motorcycle only got 1 right-leg paddle what! Down (for -) and up (for +).

Motorcycle got V8 meh?
Motorcycle can produce 750hp meh?
Even a car with 2.4 V8 n.a. can't produce 750hp!

HDB has the highest rental yield now so I would love to get a HDB for rental.
But they have salary restriction you idiot!

You are a taxpayer. Big deal?
My tax is your annual salary. Idiot!

Unregistered
12-05-07, 23:40

I dun think any car maker in the world will produce a 2.4 litre V8. Defeats the purpose.

Observer.
12-05-07, 23:48
I dun think any car maker in the world will produce a 2.4 litre V8. Defeats the purpose.

Don't say no.
I think in UK, there is a 2.4, 2.5 or 3.0 (I can't remember) V8. But I think that engine is turbo-charged.

Anyway, a 2.4 V6 (in Audi A6 2.4 or Nissan Cefiro 230) or a 2.4 V8 (if there is one), will never beat the F1 engine.

With just 2.4 litre (i.e. 300cc in each of the 8 pistons) and no forced-induction, it can produce 750-850hp!!!!!

Car Fan
13-05-07, 00:01

You are wrong!
The more pistons, the better the engine.

Compare a 170hp Mitsubishi 2.4 I4 with a 173hp Nissan 2.35 V6.
Both engine have the same power. So both are as fast.
The V6 is smooth but you can feel vibration in the I4. Of course, I6 is even better.

Compare a circle resting on 2 points (4 pistons) with 3 points (6 pistons). The minimum points for a balanced circle is obviously 3.
All 2/3/4-piston engines need balancer shafts.
The minimum balanced engine is V6 or I6.

V8 is even better. Smoother.
V10 is even more better. More smoother.
V12 is even more more better. More more smoother.
V16 .....

Try sitting in an Audi A6 2.0T I4 vs A6 2.4 V6.
You can tell the difference. The vibration in the 2.0T!!!!

Unregistered
13-05-07, 00:49
My god!

Motorcycle got left (for -) and right (for +) paddles meh?
Motorcycle only got 1 right-leg paddle what! Down (for -) and up (for +).

Motorcycle got V8 meh?
Motorcycle can produce 750hp meh?

HDB has the highest rental yield now so I would love to get a HDB for rental.
But they have salary restriction you idiot!

You are a taxpayer. Big deal?
My tax is your annual salary. Idiot!

I don't work,
because I retire long ago
I don't even have a driver license (hope you are smart enough to figure I have a driver to drive my car)
Only idiot can say such thing "my tax is your annual salary" without even knowing the other person even lives on a salary.

Sympathy To The Can't
13-05-07, 09:58
I don't work,
I don't even have a driver license (hope you are smart enough to figure I have a driver to drive my car)
Only idiot can say such thing "my tax is your annual salary" without even knowing the other person even lives on a salary.

Yes, we all know you can't work, can't drive and is dying soon.
You should also not log in to the Internet. Internet is not for you.
Take care! Bye bye!

Onq Benq Senq
13-05-07, 10:00
I don't work,

Can't work and drive and have no salary?
Let me give you some of my income tax.

Team Toyota
13-05-07, 10:03
Charge!

Just listen carefully.

Correct! That's right!
Charge!
Up up up!

Hello! On liao lah!
Already buying more lah.
Cheong ah!

Unregistered
13-05-07, 12:20
Yes, we all know you can't work, can't drive and is dying soon.
You should also not log in to the Internet. Internet is not for you.
Take care! Bye bye!

I don't work because I don't need to work.
How can I live without internet?
Internet is one of my main tools to help me keep tap with the world financial information and help me make my investments decision.

hayata1972
13-05-07, 12:35
Boys! Boys! Boys!! Down! Down! Down! Chill out! Come on, this is a discussion on the property boom, it is not about your ego or your salary.
Can we go back to the main point here? By the way, all you guys are rich, if not you wouldn't be here to talk about private properties right?
:doh:

Fedup!
13-05-07, 12:57
I don't work because I don't need to work.
How can I live without internet?
Internet is one of my main tools to help me keep tap with the world financial information and help me make my investments decision.

We talk about property but this idiot said he is very old and sick and dying soon.

hayata1972
15-05-07, 11:38
One thing for sure is that, in this property boom. We are able to share our ideas and views here. We are truly in the internet age now!:2cents:

Unregistered
15-05-07, 11:43
We talk about property but this idiot said he is very old and sick and dying soon.

No name calling pls
Why don't you learn to ignore comments that you don't like
I don't see you comment add anything to this forum also

LB Kwek
15-05-07, 12:00
"The issue in today's hot property market is that 'the selling price of your current project becomes the break-even cost for your next project' because of the ever-increasing cost of buying replacement land. You might as well not sell your residential development."

- 10 May 2007

CB Crack
15-05-07, 12:11
"The issue in today's hot property market is that 'the selling price of your current project becomes the break-even cost for your next project' because of the ever-increasing cost of buying replacement land. You might as well not sell your residential development."

- 10 May 2007
[QUOTE=CB Crack]"The tissue in today's toilet is that 'the selling price of your current backside becomes the break-wind cost for your next visit' because of the ever-increasing cost of buying replacement toilet paper.
You might as well just wash your asshole."

Seng
15-05-07, 13:02
[QUOTE=CB Crack]"The tissue in today's toilet is that 'the selling price of your current backside becomes the break-wind cost for your next visit' because of the ever-increasing cost of buying replacement toilet paper.
You might as well just wash your asshole."

Buy buy buy!
Rich buy! Poor buy!
Everybody buy!
Toilet cleaner also buy!
Huat huat huat!

hayata1972
17-05-07, 15:16
Some comic relief by some creative poet really gives me a good laugh. :spliff:

knn s'poreans
17-05-07, 18:49
When property market up, peoples worry about buble, they swear that they will hold on to their money and buy when collapse. When collpase does happen, they are more than happy to hold on to their money and wish that the price will drop further. When price does drop further, they give up hope on property market. and curse the governement for not doing a good job. When property do recover sligthly, they are very suspicious, hoping this is just a blips. when property price increase accelerate, they hope that the bubble will burst, citing all kinds of far fetch reasons : China stock market, US sub prime market, Iran war, Kelantan oil pipeline, hot money etc. etc. just hope that the market can correct and they can enter the market to pick up cheap deal (they have been advocating Money is king during down cycle)............., when correction do come, they retract, hope that price will drop further................. and the cycle repeat itself.

Unregistered
17-05-07, 21:50
When property market up, peoples worry about buble, they swear that they will hold on to their money and buy when collapse. When collpase does happen, they are more than happy to hold on to their money and wish that the price will drop further. When price does drop further, they give up hope on property market. and curse the governement for not doing a good job. When property do recover sligthly, they are very suspicious, hoping this is just a blips. when property price increase accelerate, they hope that the bubble will burst, citing all kinds of far fetch reasons : China stock market, US sub prime market, Iran war, Kelantan oil pipeline, hot money etc. etc. just hope that the market can correct and they can enter the market to pick up cheap deal (they have been advocating Money is king during down cycle)............., when correction do come, they retract, hope that price will drop further................. and the cycle repeat itself.

Yes, you are talking some, but there are also this crowd who jump in at the third wave when prices had already gone up 50%, they hope it will go up another 50%
The rare one are the one who bought heavily during SARS and is now starting to unload. There is no doubt to me you won't belongs to this group

Jumper
17-05-07, 21:56
Yes, you are talking some, but there are also this crowd who jump in at the third wave when prices had already gone up 50%, they hope it will go up another 50%
The rare one are the one who bought heavily during SARS and is now starting to unload. There is no doubt to me you won't belongs to this group

Got 7 waves in 7 years, just jump in during the 1st 5 waves lah.

Jump!
Jump!
Jump higher! Higher psf!

Reuters
17-05-07, 22:02
It says this will fuel demand for its mass- to mid-market condominiums.
Reuters
Singapore
17 May 2007

Singapore's drive to attract more immigrants will lift the earnings of residential property developer MCL Land for years to come, the firm's finance chief said on Thursday.

The firm, 77% owned by Hongkong Land , expects demand for its mass- to mid-market condominiums will be fueled by the government's plan to woo more skilled foreign workers and boost the country's population to 6.5 million from 4.5 million.

"The long-term prospect for Singapore's property market is good. You need to house that additional two million," Steve Chu, MCL Land's Chief Financial Officer, told Reuters in an interview.

Singapore generated over 90% of MCL Land's earnings last year with the remainder coming from neighbouring Malaysia.

Though private home prices in Singapore are at their highest levels in seven years, many of MCL Land's rival developers such as CapitaLand and Keppel Land are diversifying out of the country by building apartments, malls and offices in markets such as China and India.

But Chu said the risk-returns of venturing beyond MCL Land's main markets of Singapore and Malaysia would not be attractive for a small firm that had a staff of about 30.

"The current boom in Singapore has two to three more years to go before it eases off," Chu said, adding that Singapore private home prices could rise a further 15-20% this year.

MCL Land has a market capitalisation of $654 million and is the 22nd-largest property firm among the 40 in Singapore's property index .

Landbank

Chu said MCL Land plans to spend up to S$600 million ($394 million) this year to grow its current landbank of about 1.6 million square feet of gross floor area.

"We are actively looking for sites, particularly along the fringes of the core central area," he said.

MCL Land's landbank acquisitions will be funded by cash from its home sales as well as bank financing.

"We are comfortable with keeping our current debt gearing of 60% to equity," Chu added.

MCL Land, which has tied up with rival developer Ho Bee Investment to develop two residential projects, has been approached by European and U.S. funds keen to invest in Singapore property.

"We are not actively considering their offers as we haven't come across any large sites available for development yet," Chu said.

Chu said MCL Land's 2007 net profit would easily exceed the US$30.5 million net profit it earned last year.

"It will definitely be a much better performance than 2006," he said.

Bucking the trend among Singapore property firms which reported strong first-quarter earnings growth, MCL Land posted a 75% fall in net profit for the three months ended March to US$1 million.

Kim Eng Research analyst Wilson Liew said MCL Land's net profit figure was "deceptively abysmal" because the developer's unique accounting treatment of recognising its home sale profits only upon the completion of its projects.

"MCL Land will reap the benefits of capital appreciation in the mass market," said Liew, who raised his target share price for the developer to S$3.23.

MCL Land shares, which rose 0.75% to close at S$2.69 on Thursday, have gained 24% in the last three months, outperforming the 17% average gain of Singapore real estate stocks but underperforming the 33% increase chalked up by Ho Bee Investment over the same period.

Unregistered
17-05-07, 23:10
Got 7 waves in 7 years, just jump in during the 1st 5 waves lah.

Jump!
Jump!
Jump higher! Higher psf!

What wave! This one is TSUNAMI lah!!!!

Buyer
18-05-07, 20:05
What wave! This one is TSUNAMI lah!!!!

Tsunami?
Wah! This one is big one! Will go real high!
Better buy more now!
Thanks.