PDA

View Full Version : Midges favorite hangout - Bedok Reservoir

mcmlxxvi
05-01-12, 20:54
By Kezia Toh

Midges are once again proving a nuisance at Bedok Reservoir - a year after they first 'bugged' residents there.

Since last week, residents and shopkeepers have once again had to swat away swarms of these tiny green and blue flies.

The insects, known scientifically as Chironomidae, do not bite or carry diseases but that is hardly a consolation for residents.

They told The Straits Times that the midges typically plague the vicinity in January and February, making daily activities inconvenient.

TO READ THE FULL STORY...

Subscribe

27 - 0
LikeNo

Post as …

Sam
22 hours ago
Maybe there is a link between the tampines quarry park and the midges. Fogging bedok reservoir will not help if the midges originate from the sand dunes and/or water reservoir at the quarry.

zicronique
1 day ago
The first sign has already manifested itself with dead bodies turning the bedok reservoir red...
This is the second sign for going against the higher power*
"I will send swarms of flies upon thee"

Repent while you can!

tongue in cheek ah.. hopefully you guys don't need to start putting lamb blood on your doors, maybe it's in the form of loanshark runners splashing red paint on your doors..

Reficulman
1 day ago
I thought they said midgets.....

Xandra
1 day ago
I am a resident of Blk 720 Bedok Reservoir Road. The midges issue has returned to the neighbourhood since Dec 26, 2011. We have emailed and called the Aljunied Town Council (the Bedok Reservoir Road) several times to highlight the severity of this issue but no concrete action has been taken.
The Town Council claimed that PUB and NEA have resumed fogging the reservoir but based on our experience with the midges in Jan 2011, this is not enough. The Town Council also claimed that PUB and NEA “have walked the walk” to monitor the situation. If that is the case, why are midges appearing on my ceiling as well as around void deck lamps in the area?
I am curious to find out why the fogging was stopped and had only resumed recently. I had posed this question to the Town Council in one of my emails but no reply was given. In fact, there were no replies to my last three emails.
hide 2 replies reply

Shawn Tan
1 day ago
I think that fogging is not enough. The Town Council should go and analyse why this is happening. Knowing the root of the problem is very important, don't just fog.
*All these insects coming to Bedok will definitely have a reason on doing so, maybe it is environmental maybe it is because of some destruction to the eco-system etc.
hide 1 reply reply
Show more comments...

mcmlxxvi
05-01-12, 20:56
Definitely will have impact on resale and rental of Bedok Reservoir (especially waterfront) properties....

azeoprop
05-01-12, 21:03
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomidae

"They are often associated with degraded or low biodiversity ecosystems because some species have adapted to virtually anoxic conditions and are dominant in polluted waters."

Hrmm... :47:

yjcai
05-01-12, 21:45
Archipelego residents?

azeoprop
05-01-12, 21:55
Archipelego residents?

Those reservoir/tree facing units can do midges facial spa at their balcony every evening haa haa. Imagine a swamp of them crawing on your face eating the dead skin haa haa.

:p

mcmlxxvi
05-01-12, 22:26
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomidae

"They are often associated with degraded or low biodiversity ecosystems because some species have adapted to virtually anoxic conditions and are dominant in polluted waters."

Hrmm... :47:

Ewwwwwwwww....

teddybear
05-01-12, 22:56
Heard from friends that only in Singapore people want to live beside the sea and reservoir! In overseas, people avoid like contacting disease! Reasons: Many, like tsunami, metals rust easily, mechanical things spoil easily, electronic things spoil easily, midges like what happen at Bedok Reservoir etc!

By Kezia Toh

Midges are once again proving a nuisance at Bedok Reservoir - a year after they first 'bugged' residents there.

Since last week, residents and shopkeepers have once again had to swat away swarms of these tiny green and blue flies.

The insects, known scientifically as Chironomidae, do not bite or carry diseases but that is hardly a consolation for residents.

They told The Straits Times that the midges typically plague the vicinity in January and February, making daily activities inconvenient.

TO READ THE FULL STORY...

Subscribe

27 - 0
LikeNo

Post as …

Sam
22 hours ago
Maybe there is a link between the tampines quarry park and the midges. Fogging bedok reservoir will not help if the midges originate from the sand dunes and/or water reservoir at the quarry.

zicronique
1 day ago
The first sign has already manifested itself with dead bodies turning the bedok reservoir red...
This is the second sign for going against the higher power*
"I will send swarms of flies upon thee"

Repent while you can!

tongue in cheek ah.. hopefully you guys don't need to start putting lamb blood on your doors, maybe it's in the form of loanshark runners splashing red paint on your doors..

Reficulman
1 day ago
I thought they said midgets.....

Xandra
1 day ago
I am a resident of Blk 720 Bedok Reservoir Road. The midges issue has returned to the neighbourhood since Dec 26, 2011. We have emailed and called the Aljunied Town Council (the Bedok Reservoir Road) several times to highlight the severity of this issue but no concrete action has been taken.
The Town Council claimed that PUB and NEA have resumed fogging the reservoir but based on our experience with the midges in Jan 2011, this is not enough. The Town Council also claimed that PUB and NEA “have walked the walk” to monitor the situation. If that is the case, why are midges appearing on my ceiling as well as around void deck lamps in the area?
I am curious to find out why the fogging was stopped and had only resumed recently. I had posed this question to the Town Council in one of my emails but no reply was given. In fact, there were no replies to my last three emails.
hide 2 replies reply

Shawn Tan
1 day ago
I think that fogging is not enough. The Town Council should go and analyse why this is happening. Knowing the root of the problem is very important, don't just fog.
*All these insects coming to Bedok will definitely have a reason on doing so, maybe it is environmental maybe it is because of some destruction to the eco-system etc.
hide 1 reply reply
Show more comments...

mcmlxxvi
06-01-12, 10:21
Heard from friends that only in Singapore people want to live beside the sea and reservoir! In overseas, people avoid like contacting disease! Reasons: Many, like tsunami, metals rust easily, mechanical things spoil easily, electronic things spoil easily, midges like what happen at Bedok Reservoir etc!

Singaporans are indeed a illogical and fengshui mad bunch...

Rosy
06-01-12, 10:26

it is for the view and lifestyle

evergreen
07-01-12, 10:19
People believe superstition and hearsay to be fengshui. They think as long as there have wind, have water = good.
Actually too windy (by the sea) and stagnant water (at reservoir) are not good considered good fengshui.

mcmlxxvi
07-01-12, 11:47
People believe superstition and hearsay to be fengshui. They think as long as there have wind, have water = good.
Actually too windy (by the sea) and stagnant water (at reservoir) are not good considered good fengshui.
Agree. Like how every body is unique, there is no one size fits all for FS...

yjcai
07-01-12, 12:21
Hear say friend cycle at hantu Bedok Reservoir, got midgets right in his face, it is very very bad. To the extent you are there, there is a need to cover the mouth :doh:

teddybear
07-01-12, 16:37
More like Feng shui ignorant than mad?
They don't know if got water but is bad is so much worse than without water?
They don't know East Coast sea side is exposed & means Lou chai (leak money), so unless you so rich until leak also still very rich, otherwise better don't buy & live in East Coast sea facing properties!

buttercarp
07-01-12, 21:55
Hear say friend cycle at hantu Bedok Reservoir, got midgets right in his face, it is very very bad. To the extent you are there, there is a need to cover the mouth :doh:

OMG, sounds like the summer flies in Perth.

buttercarp
07-01-12, 21:56
More like Feng shui ignorant than mad?
They don't know if got water but is bad is so much worse than without water?
They don't know East Coast sea side is exposed & means Lou chai (leak money), so unless you so rich until leak also still very rich, otherwise better don't buy & live in East Coast sea facing properties!

But those who bought the sea facing properties in East Coast became rich.

teddybear
07-01-12, 22:15
More like they are rich and then buy East Coast sea facing properties?
Also they are destined to be rich, only how rich, so those who bought East Coast sea facing properties end up being much less richer than they should be because their wealth has been leaked. Don't believe what I say? Go ask the really skillful & knowledgeable Fengshui masters (not those bullshit ones). :cheers3:

But those who bought the sea facing properties in East Coast became rich.

howgozit
07-01-12, 22:21

Midgets?...

yjcai
08-01-12, 00:43
Midgets?...

typo: midges! haha

howgozit
08-01-12, 15:30
typo: midges! haha

Haha.. I know lah, was just kidding.

But it is funnier if the article was really talking about midgets instead

Imagine tattooed cocky and arrogant midgets with cigarettes dangling in the corner of their mouths gathering in large groups in Bedok Reservoir. Their unruly manner causing nuisance and annoyance to the residents.

azeoprop
08-01-12, 15:38
All of them gather there to drown in bedok reservoir on a full moon night.

:p

mcmlxxvi
08-01-12, 16:40
Haha.. I know lah, was just kidding.

But it is funnier if the article was really talking about midgets instead

Imagine tattooed cocky and arrogant midgets with cigarettes dangling in the corner of their mouths gathering in large groups in Bedok Reservoir. Their unruly manner causing nuisance and annoyance to the residents.
Pls la. They drawn to lights meh and can fly into peoples mouths? Lol

howgozit
08-01-12, 16:59
Pls la. They drawn to lights meh and can fly into peoples mouths? Lol

Hear say friend cycle at hantu Bedok Reservoir, got midgets right in his face, it is very very bad. To the extent you are there, there is a need to cover the mouth

Haha... like I said, just kidding and I was just referring to yjcai's post.

If you read it again, you'll see it's like a funny report on thuggish midgets whose "in your face"

mcmlxxvi
08-01-12, 17:52
Haha... like I said, just kidding and I was just referring to yjcai's post.

If you read it again, you'll see it's like a funny report on thuggish midgets whose "in your face"
I start to picture MiniMe from Austin Powers fame and the workers from Willy Wonka...

howgozit
09-01-12, 11:28
I start to picture MiniMe from Austin Powers fame and the workers from Willy Wonka...

Those workers from Willy Wonka are creepier....

Tripp
21-11-12, 16:45
http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/what_bugs_me/1436822/bedok_reservoir_homes_plagued_by_midge_fly_infestation__again.html

They are back again...

phantom_opera
21-11-12, 16:51
wet weather must be the contributing factor ... may be construction activities also

Tripp
21-11-12, 16:56
NEA & PUB have published a booklet on the midges crisis:
http://www.pub.gov.sg/mpublications/Midges/Documents/midges.pdf

LPPL already.

hyenergix
21-11-12, 17:02
Someone must have destroyed their natural predators.

phantom_opera
21-11-12, 17:02
now I understand, reservoir is artificial, wetlands cannot form immediately ... whereas natural lakes will have natural wetlands to have more biodiversity thus predators can exist

For Bedok Reservoir, the peak appears to be at the end of the year or beginning of the following year.
For Pandan Reservoir, the main peak appears to be during the June-July period, with a minor
peak around October.

hyenergix
21-11-12, 17:05
now I understand, reservoir is artificial, wetlands cannot form immediately ... whereas natural lakes will have natural wetlands to have more biodiversity thus predators can exist

For Bedok Reservoir, the peak appears to be at the end of the year or beginning of the following year.
For Pandan Reservoir, the main peak appears to be during the June-July period, with a minor
peak around October.

This is a feedback from nature that something is not right about this resevoir/area.

phantom_opera
21-11-12, 17:07
This is a feedback from nature that something is not right about this resevoir/area.

I am sure previously we have enough wetlands around the reservoir to breed predators, but overtime we lose it to construction activities (Archipelago for example)

AVP :scared-4:

Midge swarms are more common in urbanised reservoirs as these ecosystems may not be
adequately balanced or established, and there may not be sufficient predators to feed on
and control the midge population. This is unlike more natural catchments such as MacRitchie
Reservoir, where the existence of a stable and established ecosystem enables the midges’
predators to flourish and keep the population of the midges in check.

lifeline
21-11-12, 17:57
now I understand, reservoir is artificial, wetlands cannot form immediately ... whereas natural lakes will have natural wetlands to have more biodiversity thus predators can exist.

thanks for sharing this enlightening concept !

carbuncle
21-11-12, 18:07
imbalance of forces... no wonder so many... .... that one

lifeline
21-11-12, 18:17
went relative's house for cny. the ceiling and altar has a large layer of these - machiam like deco - and they dun fly about. relatives are used to them and continue to keep windows wide open.

carbuncle
21-11-12, 18:23
more animal protein intake if fly into mouth

lifeline
21-11-12, 18:35

lol :D :doh:

azeoprop
21-11-12, 20:46

Free food, we should be grateful and happy. :D

Kanarazu
21-11-12, 21:10
The reservoir area around Miltonia shouldn't be affected by this.

bakasa2002
21-11-12, 21:12
Hmm, I wonder how bad this is? Any idea does it affect AQbp, Clearwater, WF, Archi, Tropica and the HDBs facing reservoir?

jbtay
21-11-12, 21:51
Hmm, I wonder how bad this is? Any idea does it affect AQbp, Clearwater, WF, Archi, Tropica and the HDBs facing reservoir?

In all my 11 yrs at AQbp, have not experienced or heard of midges affecting AQbp :sleep: Not sure which part of Bedok Reservoir Rd this time. Didn't hear of it affecting Tropica too.

lifeline
22-11-12, 06:24

my relatives stay in one of the above. another one stay in another dev high floor overlooking reservoir but no midges, maybe cos balcony is always closed.

buttercarp
22-11-12, 08:15

No.
Not affected.
Once during the first occurrence of midges, I had some in my roof terrace but it was short lived.

At Sheng Siong in Bedok Reservoir, it was quite bad at that time.
They flew into people's noses.

phantom_opera
22-11-12, 09:22
staying at high floor should be ok ... dun think the insects can fly so high to > 10 floors

I wonder how URA can artificially introduce more wetlands

bakasa2002
22-11-12, 09:39
No.
Not affected.
Once during the first occurrence of midges, I had some in my roof terrace but it was short lived.

At Sheng Siong in Bedok Reservoir, it was quite bad at that time.
They flew into people's noses.

Hmm, seems like Archi might be bearing the blunt of it when it TOP ...

bakasa2002
22-11-12, 09:41
staying at high floor should be ok ... dun think the insects can fly so high to > 10 floors

I wonder how URA can artificially introduce more wetlands
I think they can just like what they did at Bishan Park and Lor Halus ...

carbuncle
22-11-12, 09:42
Hmm, seems like Archi might be bearing the blunt of it when it TOP ...

Not blunt. Brunt.... teeheehee

bakasa2002
22-11-12, 09:48
Not blunt. Brunt.... teeheehee

oops ... thanks uncle. ;)

heroes
22-11-12, 10:08
my relatives stay in one of the above. another one stay in another dev high floor overlooking reservoir but no midges, maybe cos balcony is always closed.

in the early Jan 2012, I heard that waterfront waves affected .. many midges found in the balcony..:beats-me-man:

Shanhz
22-11-12, 13:32
The reservoir area around Miltonia shouldn't be affected by this.

why not? because no quarry?

radha08
23-11-12, 11:37
oops ... thanks uncle. ;)

uncle is english teacher:D

minority
23-11-12, 13:42
so the markting for pest control can start working on the arch tenants. or developer bundle in the cost.

I have a pegion problem on my windo ledge where the aircon is. they like to rest there creating a mess.

I have to engage pest controls to come in to put a netting and spikes. to get rid of them!

roly8
23-11-12, 13:46
with so many properties surrounding bedok reservoir, i just feel it will be very crowded soon in that area :o

radha08
23-11-12, 18:09
with so many properties surrounding bedok reservoir, i just feel it will be very crowded soon in that area :o

punggol pasir ris east coast tanah merah where got no crowd...only some less crowded:spliff:

minority
23-11-12, 18:21

Crowd good more friends! more economic of scale!

Crowd also means tye area popular got pple want to go there means the investment is right!

azeoprop
23-11-12, 18:24
so the markting for pest control can start working on the arch tenants. or developer bundle in the cost.

I have a pegion problem on my windo ledge where the aircon is. they like to rest there creating a mess.

I have to engage pest controls to come in to put a netting and spikes. to get rid of them!

Can start selling roasted pigeons... :D

bakasa2002
23-11-12, 21:17

I heard this prob is common in aqbp due to the external facade...

zeamybro
23-11-12, 21:26
I heard this prob is common in aqbp due to the external facade...

Also for Clearwater, jus go to daiso buy the spiky mat, knock on your upstairs neighbour's door, and request to place the net on their ledge (the ones with lobangs)

mcmlxxvi
15-12-12, 18:18
so special, even the midges also one kind

www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/photo-gallery-mystery-midges-identified-researchers-20121215

hyenergix
15-12-12, 18:22
so special, even the midges also one kind

www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/photo-gallery-mystery-midges-identified-researchers-20121215

Juz introduce voracious small fish tt eat them. This type of research really wastes money. Maybe need a VIP to stay at Bedok reservoir.

radha08
15-12-12, 21:33
Juz introduce voracious small fish tt eat them. This type of research really wastes money. Maybe need a VIP to stay at Bedok reservoir.

callig ikan bilis where are u...:D

bakasa2002
17-12-12, 09:37
callig ikan bilis where are u...:D

Hahaha ... That's really a good one ... I will eat ikan bilis w care, didn't know they are voracious ...