PDA

View Full Version : Landed sellers

Santro
14-12-11, 12:01
Have been looking for landed around East Coast and just wanted to share a interesting observation. Quite a few of the owners have been staying in landed for over 20 years and now want to sell their houses to move to condo. Wondering what could be the possible causes of this move.
I always thought that landed is the ultimate goal of all Singaporeans but see a different trend now :confused: .

vboy
14-12-11, 12:10
trend these days seem to be on simplifying your life and minimalism, to be happier with lesser.

not to mention the expense of maintaining a landed property is getting more expensive in Singapore.

family nucleus is also getting smaller here on average and many do not need that much space anymore.

Have been looking for landed around East Coast and just wanted to share a interesting observation. Quite a few of the owners have been staying in landed for over 20 years and now want to sell their houses to move to condo. Wondering what could be the possible causes of this move.
I always thought that landed is the ultimate goal of all Singaporeans but see a different trend now :confused: .

hyenergix
14-12-11, 12:14

1. Weak knee caps
2. Potential fall from stair-case
3. No need for big house
4. Save costs on other pleasures in life
5. Cash out
6. Condos are more vibrant
7. Most landed accessibility is an issue

wannabe
14-12-11, 12:17
1. Weak knee caps
2. Potential fall from stair-case
3. No need for big house
4. Save costs on other pleasures in life
5. Cash out
6. Condos are more vibrant
7. Most landed accessibility is an issue

Not enough $ to retire.
So cash out on landed to stay in condo.
Old liao, cannot climb stairs, no more energy to clean such a big house.
Family size used to be bigger, but as kids all grown up, most got married and move out.
Many are retirees that have stayed in landed houses for 20-30 years.
Most of these are old houses which require extensive A&A or rebuild.

Lovelle
14-12-11, 12:25
becoz of cm5, they think condo price will go down. so moved to condo and cash out landed whom may go down more

wannabe
14-12-11, 12:42
becoz of cm5, they think condo price will go down. so moved to condo and cash out landed whom may go down more

condos should be going down more than landed. y do you think otherwise?

Santro
14-12-11, 13:28
Looks like both Condo and Landed will go down but which one goes down more is too early to comment. Elderly people will switch from landed to condo for the extra $$ they can keep for their retirement and people like me will try to go from condo to landed due to CM5. Save the 3% when it comes to big ticket item.:D

wannabe
14-12-11, 13:32
Looks like both Condo and Landed will go down but which one goes down more is too early to comment. Elderly people will switch from landed to condo for the extra $$ they can keep for their retirement and people like me will try to go from condo to landed due to CM5. Save the 3% when it comes to big ticket item.:D

All types of property will go down.
But for me condos will go down more than landed due to many too obvious reasons.
I just find it weird why some forumers think otherwise.

DC33_2008
14-12-11, 13:35
It is a pity to give up landed. Landed gives you the option to have a unique design but condos have no choice. :(
Not enough $ to retire.
So cash out on landed to stay in condo.
Old liao, cannot climb stairs, no more energy to clean such a big house.
Family size used to be bigger, but as kids all grown up, most got married and move out.
Many are retirees that have stayed in landed houses for 20-30 years.
Most of these are old houses which require extensive A&A or rebuild.

wannabe
14-12-11, 13:41
It is a pity to give up landed. Landed gives you the option to have a unique design but condos have no choice. :(

Yup. but these folks have no choice cos some of them are cash poor.
End of the day u need cash to retire not a landed property.
I'm also worried for my parents, cos old already very tough for them to climb stairs. But building a lift in the house would cost >100k.

sh
14-12-11, 14:27
Condo easier to go on holidays. Just lock main door.

Landed, lock door, window, who to water plants? Afraid someone break in, Etc etc

wannabe
14-12-11, 14:33
Condo easier to go on holidays. Just lock main door.

Landed, lock door, window, who to water plants? Afraid someone break in, Etc etc

Ya. Agree. Its been a pain.
Need additional grills and heavy duty locks. Pets must bring to relative/friends place. Plants jialat. thats y many people staying in landed have maids and usually more than 1.
I went viewing at Keris estate before. Its just a 3300sqf landed property but the owner has 2 maids.

sh
14-12-11, 14:40
Ya. Agree. Its been a pain.
Need additional grills and heavy duty locks. Pets must bring to relative/friends place. Plants jialat. thats y many people staying in landed have maids and usually more than 1.
I went viewing at Keris estate before. Its just a 3300sqf landed property but the owner has 2 maids.

Yah... Landed will need maid more. Leave maid at home while on holiday to watch house... Also worried... Who's going to watch maid? Sigh.....

Condo if don't want maid, still ok, or get part time help.

devilplate
14-12-11, 14:50
condos should be going down more than landed. y do you think otherwise?
Depends....detached will drop the most

IT smaller quantum drop lesser

Same goes to condo....big big ccr condo drop the most

wannabe
14-12-11, 14:57
Depends....detached will drop the most

IT smaller quantum drop lesser

Same goes to condo....big big ccr condo drop the most

I doubt detached will drop the most. Most likely landed all fall around the same %.
Detached is the rarest form of landed housing.
The supply is so limited.

For condos, i also think CCR will drop the most.
Actually it's quite a no brainer.

devilplate
14-12-11, 15:10
I doubt detached will drop the most. Most likely landed all fall around the same %.
Detached is the rarest form of landed housing.
The supply is so limited.

For condos, i also think CCR will drop the most.
Actually it's quite a no brainer.
Look at past history....tell us all

wannabe
14-12-11, 15:18
Look at past history....tell us all

Well past history applies assuming conditions in the past & present remains unchanged.
Time will tell.
It's hardly a bad thing if detached falls the most.
If luck permits, can finally buy my 1st detached.:cheers4:

devilplate
14-12-11, 15:20
Well past history applies assuming conditions in the past & present remains unchanged.
Time will tell.
It's hardly a bad thing if detached falls the most.
If luck permits, can finally buy my 1st detached.:cheers4:
Tats cool...

I cant afford to hoot detached.....

I will aim those old old semi d....buy and leave it vacant....:D

wannabe
14-12-11, 15:28
Tats cool...

I cant afford to hoot detached.....

I will aim those old old semi d....buy and leave it vacant....:D

haha... i also no $ to hoot detached... only big cannon in forum...
Any old terraces/semi-ds i happy liao... but i wont leave it vacant la...
throw 100k in make it more livable then rent it out for peanuts at least still
can make some kopi $. :tongue3:

devilplate
14-12-11, 15:47
haha... i also no $ to hoot detached... only big cannon in forum...
Any old terraces/semi-ds i happy liao... but i wont leave it vacant la...
throw 100k in make it more livable then rent it out for peanuts at least still
can make some kopi $. :tongue3:
100k too much liao....

Let say u manage to rent out at 3k/mth....rent out almost 3yr to recover back the cost of reno...

Rather leave it vacant and flip it when economy recover.....

If wana hold long term....den buy fairly new ones.....

wannabe
14-12-11, 15:50
100k too much liao....

Let say u manage to rent out at 3k/mth....rent out almost 3yr to recover back the cost of reno...

Rather leave it vacant and flip it when economy recover.....

If wana hold long term....den buy fairly new ones.....

Landed property is like that one mah... hold until neck long long...
last time to do some minor renovations on the IT 40-50k enough liao... can rent out 3k
to tenant.
If buy semi-d sure need to spend around 100k. But maybe can rent 4k+ la
The rental yields on FH Landed is really jialat.:doh:

Santro
14-12-11, 16:04
Is landed easy to rent out? Tenents would mainly be ang mohs/expats.
After seeing the trend, wondering whether I should sell my condo and look for landed or just stay put. If I sell my 99yr leasehold condo, wont make any profits as bought it just a year back and renovated it for own stay. I can breakeven if sell now.

devilplate
14-12-11, 16:07
After seeing the trend, wondering whether I should sell my condo and look for landed or just stay put. If I sell my 99yr leasehold condo, wont make any profits as bought it just a year back and renovated it for own stay. I can breakeven if sell now.
Sell now? U r damn lucky to find buyers if u only give 5-10% discount

Santro
14-12-11, 16:15
Nah. Will sell only if can break-even, else will stay on :D .

Sell now? U r damn lucky to find buyers if u only give 5-10% discount

wannabe
14-12-11, 18:01

landed not hard to rent out. my tenant for my IT is a singaporean.
For my CT is a australian.
But the yield is not good. Say maybe 2.4%
Maintaining a landed property is no joke.
Unless you are a long term invester, or buy for own stay i suggest you
to look at condos instead.

wannabe
14-12-11, 18:04
Nah. Will sell only if can break-even, else will stay on :D .

well i guess its too late.

wind30
14-12-11, 18:29

err.... if the owners have been staying there for more than 20 years, I can tell you the reason is that their kids are all grown up and got married and moved away.

The landed is probably too big for the old couple to clean/maintain. Might as well sell and move to a smaller condo. Easier to clean and use the difference to spend. no point staying in a 2-3 million dollar property.

Santro
14-12-11, 19:16
Thanks bro, for sharing this valuable info.
I am looking for own stay and main reason is looking for 4 bedder as kids are growing older and need more space. The price for 4 bedder condo almost same as 4 bedder landed but rooms are bigger and more spacious.
My investment span is about 6 to 8 years. Not sure if landed is still the way for me to go.

landed not hard to rent out. my tenant for my IT is a singaporean.
For my CT is a australian.
But the yield is not good. Say maybe 2.4%
Maintaining a landed property is no joke.
Unless you are a long term invester, or buy for own stay i suggest you
to look at condos instead.

Santro
14-12-11, 19:21
You are possibly right..landed property may be more fit for family with teenage kids but once they move out, the couple move back to condo/HDB :)

err.... if the owners have been staying there for more than 20 years, I can tell you the reason is that their kids are all grown up and got married and moved away.

The landed is probably too big for the old couple to clean/maintain. Might as well sell and move to a smaller condo. Easier to clean and use the difference to spend. no point staying in a 2-3 million dollar property.

rattydrama
14-12-11, 19:22
Thanks bro, for sharing this valuable info.
I am looking for own stay and main reason is looking for 4 bedder as kids are growing older and need more space. The price for 4 bedder condo almost same as 4 bedder landed but rooms are bigger and more spacious.
My investment span is about 6 to 8 years. Not sure if landed is still the way for me to go.

the long term value for landed is definitely better than condo, buy fh if you are not so sure. lh is for those with high risk appetite. i wud prefer those 2 sty type with losts of green space. old is ok

ysyap
14-12-11, 20:09
Most mentioned that older folks don't like to climb stairs which is true but like what my dad says, he'll just sleep downstairs at the granny room... but another big problem is some older folks cannot clean up the huge house when they are getting on with age... household chores are simply too demanding and somehow many of these older folks (I may be wrong) do not like a maid in their homes. They somehow value privacy alot so moving to a condo is a better choice... :)

DC33_2008
14-12-11, 20:16
That is why I do not understand why people buy landed houses with 4-5 steps at the front door before it reaches the main door of the house. They will know till they grow old or have difficulty walking due to sprain ankle.
Most mentioned that older folks don't like to climb stairs which is true but like what my dad says, he'll just sleep downstairs at the granny room... but another big problem is some older folks cannot clean up the huge house when they are getting on with age... household chores are simply too demanding and somehow many of these older folks (I may be wrong) do not like a maid in their homes. They somehow value privacy alot so moving to a condo is a better choice... :)

ysyap
14-12-11, 20:45
That is why I do not understand why people buy landed houses with 4-5 steps at the front door before it reaches the main door of the house. They will know till they grow old or have difficulty walking due to sprain ankle.Yes.. with that 4 steps at the front porch, the space for the cars to park is greatly reduced too... :rolleyes:

devilplate
14-12-11, 20:49
Yes.. with that 4 steps at the front porch, the space for the cars to park is greatly reduced too... :rolleyes:
Prevent flooding?

DC33_2008
14-12-11, 20:56
These are compact house in a small plot of land that requires to have basement and 3 storeys above ground in newer development.
Prevent flooding?

mantrix
14-12-11, 20:57
if i stay in landed then will be one storey (land size must be above 3000 sq ft min) .... 2 storeys are too much of a hassle :2cents:

DC33_2008
14-12-11, 20:59
You mean bungalow. Not many with one storey only these days. New development are usually 4-5 storeys. :eek:
if i stay in landed then will be one storey (land size must be above 3000 sq ft min) .... 2 storeys are too much of a hassle :2cents:

hyenergix
14-12-11, 21:02
That is why I do not understand why people buy landed houses with 4-5 steps at the front door before it reaches the main door of the house. They will know till they grow old or have difficulty walking due to sprain ankle.

You mean this? http://www.snapixel.com/301066/Stock-Photo-of-Traditional-Malay-kampung-wooden-house-on-bright-sunny-day

Southeast Asia has monsoons and flooding is common. That's why Malay Kampungs are built on stilts. I think the Chinese and European designs in Singapore changed that.

mantrix
14-12-11, 21:03
You mean bungalow. Not many with one storey only these days. New development are usually 4-5 storeys. :eek:

can even be IT or CT mah...if detached then will be a very small detached loh :D

This means I won't go for new developments, those will one storeys I can reno for self-stay...but that's only IF i have to stay in landed...else I'm a condoman :D

devilplate
14-12-11, 21:17
2storey just nice wif 3+granny room ;)

TheIdler
14-12-11, 21:19
Prevent flooding?

Also to prevent pests or stray rats/cats etc?

ysyap
15-12-11, 07:11
These are compact house in a small plot of land that requires to have basement and 3 storeys above ground in newer development.No basement lah.. those with basement are called cluster houses... :spliff2:

ysyap
15-12-11, 07:12
Also to prevent pests or stray rats/cats etc?Rodents and cats can climb the steps lah... ;)

DC33_2008
15-12-11, 07:15
You can design with a partial basement as it is your own land.
No basement lah.. those with basement are called cluster houses... :spliff2:

devilplate
15-12-11, 08:05
You can design with a partial basement as it is your own land.
is there any IT wif basement?

ysyap
15-12-11, 09:02
You can design with a partial basement as it is your own land.Its quite costly to dig a basement (I think).... :scared-4:

wannabe
15-12-11, 09:12

All spot on!
Usually older folks sleep in the granny room on the 1st floor.
But not all landed houses come with a granny room.
So its important to look for one with a sizable granny room.

Can look for part-time maid, those that come once or twice a week to clean up the whole house. But that's if the owner can afford.

wannabe
15-12-11, 09:17
is there any IT wif basement?

I think may have. But very rare.
Cluster IT most probably sure have cos i stay in 1.
:)

devilplate
15-12-11, 09:18
I think may have. But very rare.
Cluster IT most probably sure have cos i stay in 1.
:)
cluster IT mostly dun hf granny room rite?

wannabe
15-12-11, 09:19
Its quite costly to dig a basement (I think).... :scared-4:

Very very expensive.
My uncle's neighbour 2 houses away reconstructed the semi-d with a new basement to park 4 cars.

devilplate
15-12-11, 09:19
All spot on!

Can look for part-time maid, those that come once or twice a week to clean up the whole house. But that's if the owner can afford.
landed nid to pay double for part time maid.....nid 2 cleaners at one time

not worth it....might as well get FT maid

wannabe
15-12-11, 09:43
cluster IT mostly dun hf granny room rite?

That i'm not sure. But my cluster IT don't have.
My IT also dont have.
New CT have.

wannabe
15-12-11, 09:44
landed nid to pay double for part time maid.....nid 2 cleaners at one time

not worth it....might as well get FT maid

Ya of cos better to get FT maid.
But some older folks don't like the presence of a stranger in the house all the time. My parents are an example.

devilplate
15-12-11, 09:46
My IT also dont have.
New CT have.
luxux hill IT got granny rm

sh
15-12-11, 09:48
Prevent flooding?

yup prevent flooding. garmant control.... so you don't complain when you house gets flooded.

level varies from area to area. More than 3-5 steps in goodman area :(

sh
15-12-11, 09:52
All spot on!

very sad right?:( the granny is the one with the money paying for the house and is yet restricted to the ground level. (usually a small room).

If i'm the granny with the money, i'll go for a 1 level penthouse instead of landed OR landed with lift. Why should i be restricted to 20% of a house I paid fuuly for!:D

sh
15-12-11, 09:53
My IT also dont have.
New CT have.

cluttered housing is the landed equivalent of MMs....:D

wannabe
15-12-11, 09:53
luxux hill IT got granny rm

I see.
Been reading the landed forum for quite awhile.
There seem to be a thread about luxus hills.
I have not seen it but based on the price, doesn't it feel overpriced?

wannabe
15-12-11, 09:55
very sad right?:( the granny is the one with the money paying for the house and is yet restricted to the ground level. (usually a small room).

If i'm the granny with the money, i'll go for a 1 level penthouse instead of landed OR landed with lift. Why should i be restricted to 20% of a house I paid fuuly for!:D

lol.... very true... and the granny rooms are usually not very big.

wannabe
15-12-11, 09:59
cluttered housing is the landed equivalent of MMs....:D

lol... this is a good one.
i do feel cramped up staying in 1.

ysyap
15-12-11, 10:00
I see.
Been reading the landed forum for quite awhile.
There seem to be a thread about luxus hills.
I have not seen it but based on the price, doesn't it feel overpriced?It certainly is overpriced... considering the fact that the developer was already making profit when initially launched at $1.8mil, it is now getting an additional $700k per unit sold. Good for developer lor... :)

wannabe
15-12-11, 10:11
It certainly is overpriced... considering the fact that the developer was already making profit when initially launched at $1.8mil, it is now getting an additional $700k per unit sold. Good for developer lor... :)

Usually whats the landsize/built up of the houses in luxus hills?

ysyap
15-12-11, 10:16
Usually whats the landsize/built up of the houses in luxus hills?Not sure of exact figure but the landsize is about 16xx sqft/ built up is 3xxx sqft.

wannabe
15-12-11, 10:19
Not sure of exact figure but the landsize is about 16xx sqft/ built up is 3xxx sqft.

2.5m for a 16xxsqf land????
Ouch!:scared-5:

ysyap
15-12-11, 10:20
2.5m for a 16xxsqf land????
Ouch!:scared-5:Welcome to our inflated world... :cheers2: Looking forward to a possible price correction in 2012.... :D

wannabe
15-12-11, 10:23
Welcome to our inflated world... :cheers2: Looking forward to a possible price correction in 2012.... :D

Yup. But i still think D9/10/11 condos will dive the most.
Landed prices might be a bit more sticky.
Aiming to buy a small D9 condo for rental yield.:p

ysyap
15-12-11, 10:30
Yup. But i still think D9/10/11 condos will dive the most.
Landed prices might be a bit more sticky.
Aiming to buy a small D9 condo for rental yield.:pGood for you... me don't dare to look at D09.. too upmarket for such an uncertain future... mass market will do just nice for me... :sleep:

wannabe
15-12-11, 10:36
Good for you... me don't dare to look at D09.. too upmarket for such an uncertain future... mass market will do just nice for me... :sleep:

I wont touch mass market at all.
IMHO too overpriced.

ysyap
15-12-11, 11:37
I wont touch mass market at all.
IMHO too overpriced.Agree that mass market is too overpriced as of now... so patiently waiting for prices to come down... :D $1350 psf become $800 psf again for project beside MRT... Lol!

gn108
15-12-11, 11:51
Regardless, transactions to come to a halt...
High end D9-11, Sentosa will clamp down - coz strong holders.
En Bloc market - jam liao.
MRT properties - unless weak holders ....will keep till at all cost esp with higher COE.

Left are the weak holders and higher density areas like D15.
Now it's between increase interest rates and retrenchments....if that comes, then sure tilt over very fast.

Else, it's a very long wait....

Agree that mass market is too overpriced as of now... so patiently waiting for prices to come down... :D $1350 psf become $800 psf again for project beside MRT... Lol!

wannabe
15-12-11, 12:29
MRT properties - unless weak holders ....will keep till at all cost esp with higher COE.

Now it's between increase interest rates and retrenchments....if that comes, then sure tilt over very fast.

All i know is by driving the foreigners away, D9/10/11 gone case.
If prices were to fall 20%, some D9 condos which are now at the range of (1600psf->2000psf) will go down to (1280psf->1600psf) so why bother looking at other districts?:beats-me-man:

I stay in D16 for crying out loud, but $1500psf for a condo in Bedok? Still seems like a bad dream. Talk about hyper inflation in mass market.

Santro
15-12-11, 13:56
The location for BR is good if you purely look from Bedok/east perspective but not across Singapore. The psf is just way too unrealistic. Also, the rooms are not liveable. For the 3 bedder showflat, mbr has a queen bed and can try squeezing a king bed. Other two rooms, can just put a single bed.
If D9/10/11 really drops low then thats the way to go.

All i know is by driving the foreigners away, D9/10/11 gone case.
If prices were to fall 20%, some D9 condos which are now at the range of (1600psf->2000psf) will go down to (1280psf->1600psf) so why bother looking at other districts?:beats-me-man:

I stay in D16 for crying out loud, but $1500psf for a condo in Bedok? Still seems like a bad dream. Talk about hyper inflation in mass market.

Santro
15-12-11, 14:06
All the new developments in past few years no chance for enbloc as all built up to the max.
Strong holders may lose their ground if they have few other properties/business and they also go down same time.
Wont be able to see much changes in next 2-3 months due to year end and bonus time.
Things will be more clearer next year March onwards :cheers1:

gn108
15-12-11, 14:26
And let's not forget the 'flip-of-a-card' unlucky non-winners at our local Casinos.

HDB is the big-Mother ship that has yet to show sign of weakness...this holds up the OCR market to a degree...

Strong holders may lose their ground if they have few other properties/business and they also go down same time.

wannabe
15-12-11, 15:28
The location for BR is good if you purely look from Bedok/east perspective but not across Singapore. The psf is just way too unrealistic. Also, the rooms are not liveable. For the 3 bedder showflat, mbr has a queen bed and can try squeezing a king bed. Other two rooms, can just put a single bed.
If D9/10/11 really drops low then thats the way to go.

Too unrealistic but people still buy.
One sentence says it all.

$1500psf LH Bedok :scared-5:

ysyap
15-12-11, 15:44
Too unrealistic but people still buy.
One sentence says it all.

$1500psf LH Bedok :scared-5:Remember all the commotions when Centro Residence AMK was launched 2 years back? It broke the LH $1000 psf barrier. Here is the next breakthrough... :sleep:

wannabe
15-12-11, 15:52
Remember all the commotions when Centro Residence AMK was launched 2 years back? It broke the LH $1000 psf barrier. Here is the next breakthrough... :sleep:

Last time mass market condos they classify under below $1000psf.
Now change to under $1500psf
So which is the most inflated property segment?

ysyap
15-12-11, 16:00
Last time mass market condos they classify under below $1000psf.
Now change to under $1500psf
So which is the most inflated property segment?Wow.... it took just 2 years to rise $500psf. No wonder the latest CM lah... BR really spoil market lah... :hell-hath-no-fury:

proud owner
15-12-11, 23:17
to answer to the thread

i find the landed ( mostly) in D15 very cramped
roads are narrow ... and esp T kurau .. so many low rise condos sprang up..the landed lose their exclusivity ...

perhaps thats why you find more landed selller there

kane
15-12-11, 23:25
to answer to the thread

roads are narrow ... and esp T kurau .. so many low rise condos sprang up..the landed lose their exclusivity ...

Plus the next door neighbor apartment blocks off all the air circulation.

SGP
16-12-11, 08:02
Quite a few of the owners have been staying in landed for over 20 years and now want to sell their houses to move to condo. Wondering what could be the possible causes of this move.

That's what the owner of the IT said when we went to view the house. They said the house was too big for just the two of them. But after they sold to us, they actually bought another IT (new) with a smaller land size just down the road from us! And they paid $500K more than the price they sold to us. Don't understand them, but we are enjoying our new place.

proud owner
16-12-11, 08:41
That's what the owner of the IT said when we went to view the house. They said the house was too big for just the two of them. But after they sold to us, they actually bought another IT (new) with a smaller land size just down the road from us! And they paid $500K more than the price they sold to us. Don't understand them, but we are enjoying our new place.

500 k to swap from an old to new ... worth it leh ..

cos if you do your own A&A ...it may cost more than 500k ...

devilplate
16-12-11, 08:47
500 k to swap from an old to new ... worth it leh ..

cos if you do your own A&A ...it may cost more than 500k ...
AA cost so much ar.....

i was told rebuild IT only cost 500-600k wor....LOL

proud owner
16-12-11, 08:50
AA cost so much ar.....

if you AA a IT from say 2400 sqft to 3600 sqft ... would cost you around 500k - 600k

and if your old IT is 2400sqft .. and if you like the design and layout of the new AAed 3600 sqft .. for 500k more, i think its cheap ..

and 500k does not include architect fee ..etc

stl67
16-12-11, 08:52
AA cost so much ar.....

think boh liao lah.. min >650 if everything soon soon.. a lot depends on your taste and preferences... marble, tiles, toiletries price can varies a lot.

devilplate
16-12-11, 08:56
think boh liao lah.. min >650 if everything soon soon.. a lot depends on your taste and preferences... marble, tiles, toiletries price can varies a lot.
wah lau so ex.....

no wonder ppl willing to pay 15xxpsf land for luxus hill

devilplate
16-12-11, 08:58
if you AA a IT from say 2400 sqft to 3600 sqft ... would cost you around 500k - 600k

and if your old IT is 2400sqft .. and if you like the design and layout of the new AAed 3600 sqft .. for 500k more, i think its cheap ..

ic.....AA cost---can control cost.....my fren's dad spent 2xxk for a small semi d in early 2010

rebuild i tink quite fixed.....i tot 5xxk enuff for IT to rebuild those cookie cutter model (without interior furnishing)

proud owner
16-12-11, 09:02
ic.....AA cost---can control cost.....my fren's dad spent 2xxk for a small semi d in early 2010

rebuild i tink quite fixed.....i tot 5xxk enuff for IT to rebuild those cookie cutter model (without interior furnishing)

2xxk for semi ?

i think he renovate the bedrooms only lah

devilplate
16-12-11, 09:04
2xxk for semi ?

i think he renovate the bedrooms only lah
he reno whole place leh....retile, rewire, repair roof, redo toilets etc....btw only 3+granny

but not much alterations la....only extend backyard

he DIY as in engage direct contractors......nvr get ID

proud owner
16-12-11, 09:08
he reno whole place leh....retile, rewire, repair roof, redo toilets etc....btw only 3+granny

but not much alterations la....only extend backyard

he DIY as in engage direct contractors......nvr get ID

sounds too cheap .. if include extending backyard

ysyap
16-12-11, 10:03
2xxk for semi ?

i think he renovate the bedrooms only lahOh yes... my uncle did a full reno (not A&A) for his semi D and it cost him $800k liao but his was really an elaborate reno lah.. included a resistance swimming pool and changed everything except the structure... Lol! :spliff:

wannabe
16-12-11, 12:08
to answer to the thread

Most landed estates in SG are cramped with narrow roads.
Unless you stay in landed in D9/10/11.
But the prices there are out of reach to most Singaporeans.
So the next alternative for Singaporeans looking at landed property is usually D15/16 as they are classified as the next Prime district.
After D15/16 its D19/20.
Most of the upper middle class Singaporeans looking at landed properties will be around these 4 districts.
So unless you prefer more far flung places, these are the districts to be in.
The Serangoon Gardens Estate comes with a workers dormitories but that hasn't stop the prices from creeping up.
Likewise many areas of D15 including Siglap, Joo Chiat areas are very cramped with narrow roads. Its very common to see BMWs parked outside the houses due to lack of parking space and > 1 car per household.
Even for places like Seletar D28 , the roads there are narrow as well.
Too many estates to name, but you can just drive around and see how narrow the roads are. This is what you have to put up with when you stay in landed property in SG.

wannabe
16-12-11, 12:09

Where did you buy?

wannabe
16-12-11, 12:15
wah lau so ex.....

no wonder ppl willing to pay 15xxpsf land for luxus hill

haha... Not really la.
I'm doing renovations for my CT in TK now.
Will cost about 150-160k inclusive of furnishing.
No much A&A involved.
The place still not so old, most of the stuff in good shape.
Many many things to look out for when looking for landed houses.

wannabe
16-12-11, 12:17

I think that will be more like 300-400k.

Rebuild IT with a built-in area of 3000-3600sqf with those standard design will cost 550-700k.

wind30
16-12-11, 14:00
Most landed estates in SG are cramped with narrow roads.
Unless you stay in landed in D9/10/11.
But the prices there are out of reach to most Singaporeans.
So the next alternative for Singaporeans looking at landed property is usually D15/16 as they are classified as the next Prime district.
After D15/16 its D19/20.
Most of the upper middle class Singaporeans looking at landed properties will be around these 4 districts.
So unless you prefer more far flung places, these are the districts to be in.
The Serangoon Gardens Estate comes with a workers dormitories but that hasn't stop the prices from creeping up.
Likewise many areas of D15 including Siglap, Joo Chiat areas are very cramped with narrow roads. Its very common to see BMWs parked outside the houses due to lack of parking space and > 1 car per household.
Even for places like Seletar D28 , the roads there are narrow as well.
Too many estates to name, but you can just drive around and see how narrow the roads are. This is what you have to put up with when you stay in landed property in SG.

I stay in Lentor which is in AMK. I thought it is a good estate. not crowded and within 1km from the YCK MRT. You can walk around the estates easily without much fear of getting knocked down by passing vehicles.

It probably has one of the highest concentration of parks and greenery among landed estates in Singapore.

Near all the hawker centers in AMK. The food is cheap and good in AMK.

Best of all, the estate was really not that expensive. It is probably cheaper than Luxus hills which is has a poorer location.

wannabe
16-12-11, 15:01
I stay in Lentor which is in AMK. I thought it is a good estate. not crowded and within 1km from the YCK MRT. You can walk around the estates easily without much fear of getting knocked down by passing vehicles.

It probably has one of the highest concentration of parks and greenery among landed estates in Singapore.

Near all the hawker centers in AMK. The food is cheap and good in AMK.

Best of all, the estate was really not that expensive. It is probably cheaper than Luxus hills which is has a poorer location.

i dont like CTE.
And the area there has a very industrialized feel to it due to the many industrial parks there.
But the landed there are quite nice. Been to Lentor before. More quiet and serene.

mantrix
16-12-11, 21:14
i dont like CTE.
And the area there has a very industrialized feel to it due to the many industrial parks there.
But the landed there are quite nice. Been to Lentor before. More quiet and serene.

Lentor is in AMK?? It is a place of its own after YCK MRT...can't disagree with the serene part though

wind30
17-12-11, 05:32
Lentor is in AMK?? It is a place of its own after YCK MRT...can't disagree with the serene part though

errr... I walk to AMK Blk 628 market sometimes.

It is not nested right inside AMK if that is what you mean. But do you want your estate to be nested inside HDB? surrounded by flats?

wind30
17-12-11, 05:43
i dont like CTE.

I like CTE IF it does not jam. It is probably the best expressway to me as it give easy access to Orchard shopping belt. How do people in the east Drive to Orchard?

I don't use CTE for work commute so it is not a problem. During weekends, sundays is usually smooth due to church goers. Saturdays..... you have to go early else you will get jam.

I don't agree on the industrialised feel though. The only industrial park is probably in Targore which is on the other side, nearers to Teachers estate (Which is crowded, sunken, etc). YCK Mrt side is mostly offices. I do wish they will develop YCK more and bring in more offices/shops.

Another good thing is we have a resident Minister staying with us for quite a number of years. He used to be Health minister so our drains are REALLY clean, free of mosquitoes

mantrix
17-12-11, 10:03
errr... I walk to AMK Blk 628 market sometimes.

It is not nested right inside AMK if that is what you mean. But do you want your estate to be nested inside HDB? surrounded by flats?

wow...it's a very long walk then...

better to drive ;)

ysyap
17-12-11, 11:30
CTE just had a road widening from last time 3 lanes become now 5 lanes... it looks much better but still have jams with ERP on during peak hours. The NSE should have been built years back... now then suggest???

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 11:32
Pity the flats and condos next to it. :scared-1:
CTE just had a road widening from last time 3 lanes become now 5 lanes... it looks much better but still have jams with ERP on during peak hours. The NSE should have been built years back... now then suggest???

ysyap
17-12-11, 11:35
Pity the flats and condos next to it. :scared-1:There is also the landed area in Seletar estate next to the expressway... now the roads are much nearer to them... decibels increased... :scared-4:

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 11:36
Noise can be heard but lungs become filters.
There is also the landed area in Seletar estate next to the expressway... now the roads are much nearer to them... decibels increased... :scared-4:

ysyap
17-12-11, 11:39
Noise can be heard but lungs become filters.You are absolutely right... :scared-4:

wannabe
17-12-11, 13:41
There is also the landed area in Seletar estate next to the expressway... now the roads are much nearer to them... decibels increased... :scared-4:

Hahaha... When i look for landed properties , i straight away omit those at the main roads. Near expressway? You must be kidding me.

wannabe
17-12-11, 13:43
I like CTE IF it does not jam. It is probably the best expressway to me as it give easy access to Orchard shopping belt. How do people in the east Drive to Orchard?

I don't use CTE for work commute so it is not a problem. During weekends, sundays is usually smooth due to church goers. Saturdays..... you have to go early else you will get jam.

I don't agree on the industrialised feel though. The only industrial park is probably in Targore which is on the other side, nearers to Teachers estate (Which is crowded, sunken, etc). YCK Mrt side is mostly offices. I do wish they will develop YCK more and bring in more offices/shops.

Another good thing is we have a resident Minister staying with us for quite a number of years. He used to be Health minister so our drains are REALLY clean, free of mosquitoes

Well people in the east have 2 expressways. PIE & ECP.
Both can go to orchard road.

wind30
17-12-11, 14:51

PIE ends up at CTE. And it is such a roundabout route are you sure people in the East actually uses the PIE to reach orchard? If they use PIE to get to orchard it just shows how inaccesible they are to orchard road.

now after the widening of CTE from Yio chu kang to PIE, the jam is shorter on CTE but it gets shifted southwards.

So now the PIE entrance to CTE gets jammed. The entrance of braddel road to CTE is wider than the entrance of PIE....

Now I can enter KPE/ECP easily from CTE but I still find ECP not useful as it ends up at the wrong side of town for me. If you are going to suntec maybe ECP is useful.

But if you are going to orchard, ECP is kind of out of the way.

wind30
17-12-11, 14:53
Pity the flats and condos next to it. :scared-1:

yups and for some of them, there is no entrance to the NSE even though the expressway is right outside. Example NUOVO EC.

kenna, noise, pollution, all for NOTHING. can see, hear, breath expressway but cannot use.... :doh:

wind30
17-12-11, 14:57

Actually now during peak hours on weekdays it does not really jam at all. But the ERP is expensive.

It should get much better when NSE gets done as it adds an extra 3 lanes...

buttercarp
17-12-11, 15:32
i dont like CTE.

Then why is Luxus Hills preferred over Pavilion Park?

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 15:36
Pay and still get jam along ECP from city in the evening.
Actually now during peak hours on weekdays it does not really jam at all. But the ERP is expensive.

It should get much better when NSE gets done as it adds an extra 3 lanes...

devilplate
17-12-11, 15:40
Then why is Luxus Hills preferred over Pavilion Park?
Bcoz near cck?

buttercarp
17-12-11, 15:41
Bcoz near cck?

What's wrong with CCK?

nobrainer32007
17-12-11, 16:01
The east also has a choice of geylang or joo chiat. :doh:

devilplate
17-12-11, 16:23
What's wrong with CCK?
Cheapest bird dun lay eggs area?

buttercarp
17-12-11, 17:07
Cheapest bird dun lay eggs area?

Don't get you ?
You mean even the cheapest bird won't lay eggs in that area?
Why?

ysyap
17-12-11, 20:53
Don't get you ?
You mean even the cheapest bird won't lay eggs in that area?
Why?You funny girl lah buttercarp? He's saying cheapest 'bird won't lay eggs' area. 'Cheapest' is the first adjective to describe the area. 'bird won't lay eggs' is the other adjective... Not like what you've mentioned, cheapest is to describe the bird... Lol! (If i haven't misinterpreted your wordings) :scared-2:

buttercarp
17-12-11, 21:07
You funny girl lah buttercarp? He's saying cheapest 'bird won't lay eggs' area. 'Cheapest' is the first adjective to describe the area. 'bird won't lay eggs' is the other adjective... Not like what you've mentioned, cheapest is to describe the bird... Lol! (If i haven't misinterpreted your wordings) :scared-2:

Yup, you got it - i tot it is really the cheapest bird.
Oh, sorry but why can't use plain simple english?
Sorry, i don't know much slang language.:o
So he is saying that CCK is the cheapest district in Singapore?

devilplate
17-12-11, 21:26
Yup, you got it - i tot it is really the cheapest bird.
Oh, sorry but why can't use plain simple english?
Sorry, i don't know much slang language.:o
So he is saying that CCK is the cheapest district in Singapore?
Apparently it is.....mabe on par wif yishun?

ysyap
17-12-11, 21:28
Apparently it is.....mabe on par wif yishun?Sembawang and Woodland also quite cheap.... :p

devilplate
17-12-11, 21:29
Sembawang and Woodland also quite cheap.... :p
Not anymore.....woodlands got woodhaven and sembawang got nautical....

Hows the preview sales for nautical....tot today preview rite?

mantrix
17-12-11, 22:03
PIE ends up at CTE. And it is such a roundabout route are you sure people in the East actually uses the PIE to reach orchard? If they use PIE to get to orchard it just shows how inaccesible they are to orchard road.

now after the widening of CTE from Yio chu kang to PIE, the jam is shorter on CTE but it gets shifted southwards.

So now the PIE entrance to CTE gets jammed. The entrance of braddel road to CTE is wider than the entrance of PIE....

Now I can enter KPE/ECP easily from CTE but I still find ECP not useful as it ends up at the wrong side of town for me. If you are going to suntec maybe ECP is useful.

But if you are going to orchard, ECP is kind of out of the way.

there is this exit called Stevens Road / Whitley Road exit...

Many ways to get to Orchard, no need CTE

I stay north but i dun use CTE to go Orchard too sometimes

dmonddd
17-12-11, 22:16
interesting thread....

surprisingly to see so many interests and quick replies.
So I may be repeating some forumers' inputs

besides my non-affordability, key consideration for not to buy landed property is family size....family members of 4 or more should comfortably fit into a landed property. otherwise house will be very quiet

my definition of landed property excludes cluster houses - different animal

my 2 viet dong inputs
family lifecycle
1) Single - stay with parents...
2) Married..still bump with parents or
3) Married - get a 2 bedder/1 bedder condo
4) Young family with young kids - get condo near school. Have maid to help out. outlaws/parents nearby

5) Young kids grow into teens - they want privacy...move into larger condo 4 rooms above or landed property

6) Working children....still stay with parents till get married. Home minister (wifey) as usual will love married children stay with them

7) Spouse of children if beh tahan - will then go to (3) above.....

8) All children married and have moved out - large condo/landed property very quiet....Health not as fit as in younger days....knees weak..driving also problem..eyesight getting poorer

9) Logically move into smaller 2-bedder condo (dont forget it is easier to mop floor in a condo...one pail of water...from living to kitchen. Landed property requires lifting the pail a few times..Back also not as strong as before)

10) cycle repeats starting (4)

Cash out with huge capital gains - indirect benefits

every country in Asia more or less share the same story.

Passing the dollar bill round and round among others...the crispy note after a few handovers becomes crumpled/dirty/stained.

overall the prices are on upward trend..but in between from age of 35 to 70, there are bound to be dips.

PS: remember as well that crisis is getting shorter in cycle and rebound may at times be quick..like some forumers said borderless world - information travels fast nowadays with technology...proxy to perfect market

perfect market ...analogy to pressing the switch to the light..light on immediately

imperfect market - press switch...give 5 minutes later before lights comes on

children also may want a split of fortune..like some young singaporeans who may wish that gahmen open $reserves so that they dont have to work so hand.

Common...my take...is it a need or a want at different phases of one's life

wind30
18-12-11, 00:12
there is this exit called Stevens Road / Whitley Road exit...

Many ways to get to Orchard, no need CTE

I stay north but i dun use CTE to go Orchard too sometimes

.... how come you keep suggesting more roundabout routes....

you know Whitley Road is on the west side. Be more realistic lah. I mean where got people living in the east go north to PIE, then cross west to Whitley, then south to Orchard.

If you are coming from the East on PIE, entering CTE to orchard is definately much faster than whitley.

ysyap
18-12-11, 07:15
interesting thread....
children also may want a split of fortune..like some young singaporeans who may wish that gahmen open $reserves so that they dont have to work so hand.

Common...my take...is it a need or a want at different phases of one's lifeIf the child comes to you and demand for a split of fortune before you kick the bucket... wow... either the child is not thinking about having the relationship with the parents anymore or your family is really so so so open... better way of putting it is the child may want to borrow money to start business, buy a house, etc... but still its quite bad in that sense also... :doh:

hyenergix
18-12-11, 07:35
If the child comes to you and demand for a split of fortune before you kick the bucket... wow... either the child is not thinking about having the relationship with the parents anymore or your family is really so so so open... better way of putting it is the child may want to borrow money to start business, buy a house, etc... but still its quite bad in that sense also... :doh:

I have a friend. He asked his teenage son what he wanted for his birthday. The reply was: title deed to e condo...

buttercarp
18-12-11, 08:36
I have a friend. He asked his teenage son what he wanted for his birthday. The reply was: title deed to e condo...

Teenagers are street wise these days.
My teenage son has already asked for the larger house (assuming I still have more than 1 property by then) as he said that he will be the one carrying on the family name!

devilplate
18-12-11, 08:38
Teenagers are street wise these days.
My teenage son has already asked for the larger house (assuming I still have more than 1 property by then) as he said that he will be the one carrying on the family name!
scary

all $$$ face these days.....zzzzzzzzzzzz

cannot retire penniless......all ur kids will push u ard like a BALL

buttercarp
18-12-11, 08:41
scary

all $$$ face these days.....zzzzzzzzzzzz

cannot retire penniless......all ur kids will push u ard like a BALL

Ya, definitely must have money to retire and never transfer the ownership of the house to children no matter how sweet they are.

DC33_2008
18-12-11, 09:48
Will want to them to buy a flat first as I hve missed out myself, before transferring the private properties to them, if rules remain the same then.

ysyap
19-12-11, 21:04
Ya, definitely must have money to retire and never transfer the ownership of the house to children no matter how sweet they are.So I guess your son will not get the larger house from you lah... :D

Well I for one do not advocate transferring ownership of property to children. I'll probably sell away the property and give him/her enough for the first downpayment and that to me is already very very very generous... I always believe in them learning to earn their living and not get something they did not earn for... Lol! Like strike lottery... :cheers6:

PN
19-12-11, 21:43
So I guess your son will not get the larger house from you lah... :D

Well I for one do not advocate transferring ownership of property to children. I'll probably sell away the property and give him/her enough for the first downpayment and that to me is already very very very generous... I always believe in them learning to earn their living and not get something they did not earn for... Lol! Like strike lottery... :cheers6:

This forums has many rational and smart people. Your kids will learn a lot from you.

hyenergix
19-12-11, 21:51
So I guess your son will not get the larger house from you lah... :D

How much is ur first downpayment gift? $700k for a condo or $7mil for a GCB?

ysyap
20-12-11, 13:59
This forums has many rational and smart people. Your kids will learn a lot from you.I seriously hope so.... :o

ysyap
20-12-11, 14:01
How much is ur first downpayment gift? $700k for a condo or $7mil for a GCB?Thank you for seeing me so up... I can't even afford a bungalow, less a GCB... Lol! Wah.. u dish out $700k for a condo first downpayment huh? No lah... maybe a 20% for the HDB flat which is like $100k or so? Or maybe $250k for a PC? Hmmm... :rolleyes: