PDA

View Full Version : No More new flats crammed into small blocks

Duku
25-11-11, 10:20
No more new flats crammed into small blocks: URA

New rules stipulate minimum plot size for apartment blocks, provide for landscaping or facilities

Published on Nov 25, 2011

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20111124/ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS25-G1C.jpg (http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20111124/ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS25-G1Ce.jpg) ON A LITTLE STREET IN SINGAPORE...
LORONG N, TELOK KURAU: Two houses wedged between two condominiums, an example of the rapid proliferation of small apartments in the traditionally landed area. -- ST PHOTOS: KEVIN LIM

By Esther Teo, Property Reporter & Melissa Tan
Relief is on the way for residents fed up with the ever-increasing numbers of new flats being crammed into small blocks and adding to congestion and strained amenities.
New rules will set minimum plot sizes for apartment blocks and restrict the number of flats that can be built on certain sites, ensuring that some ground will be free for landscaping or facilities.
The move is in response to a growing clamour from residents about overcrowding, which has worsened in recent years with the popularity of shoebox apartments.
Background story

Extracts from the URA circular

'Developments are being built on increasingly smaller plots, with some being built on plots previously occupied by one landed house.'

'There is increased usage of mechanised parking systems... which allows developers to build many more units and yet provide the minimum number of car parking spaces. Such developments include many small shoebox units. These new developments inject a much larger number of housing units in an area than what was planned for.'

'The proliferation of such developments will result in... a strain on the existing road system, resulting in traffic friction and congestion.'

'Due to their small plot sizes, flat developments tend to provide minimal landscaping or communal open areas.'

'Such residential estates are becoming increasingly cramped and dense with many fragmented plots containing small flat developments with minimal greenery and landscaping. This compromises the living environment, both within the developments and the overall estate.'

Blocks of flats have even been built on the site of a single landed home.
var subrenderfile="/Subscription/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_737906.html"; Estates such as Telok Kurau, Kovan and Joo Chiat have become increasingly cramped, prompting gripes about traffic congestion and a drop in the overall quality of life.
A circular sent to industry players on Wednesday and obtained by The Straits Times shows that the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) is acting to address these issues.
The new regime kicked in on Thursday and applies to all developments without provisional planning permission, which is conditional approval from the Government.
The URA has set a minimum plot size of 1,000 sq m for all non-landed residential projects. There were no restrictions previously.
The new plot size will allow for more open space and ensure that areas are set aside for landscaping and communal facilities, the URA said.
It has also limited the maximum number of flats on land parcels with a gross plot ratio of 1.4. The gross plot ratio determines how intensely the land can be used. A ratio of 1.4 allows developers to build up to five storeys.
These areas are usually intended for low-density housing - mostly landed homes with a mix of low-rise flats.
The maximum number of homes for such sites will now be determined by a formula where a site's maximum gross floor area (GFA) will be divided by 70 sq m. The aim, said the URA, is to 'safeguard livability'.
The rule will be even more stringent in the Telok Kurau estate where the URA has noted a rapid proliferation of small apartments. The GFA on sites there will be divided by 100 sq m, which will result in even fewer units.
'For Telok Kurau, we note that existing landed houses have been redeveloped into five-storey flat developments at a rapid pace with a proliferation of small units,' said the URA.
'This rapid injection of a large number of units has resulted in significantly higher traffic volumes along the existing narrow local access roads.'
Areas like Joo Chiat/Jalan Eunos and Kovan, which like Telok Kurau have many sites with gross plot ratios of 1.4, have also been identified as possible congestion hot spots.
Redevelopment in these areas could put a more severe strain on infrastructure than in other parts of the island, said the URA, which is conducting a study with the Land Transport Authority to determine if more stringent guidelines are also needed.
The agency noted that developers will still be able to build units of various sizes as long as the total number meets the new formula.
It added that there has been a trend of projects built on increasingly smaller plots in recent years, with some on sites previously occupied by just one landed home.
Many of these new projects consist of shoebox units. If left unchecked, the sheer numbers of new residents could overwhelm infrastructure such as roads.
Experts noted that while some will welcome the measures, other home owners looking to sell older estates in collective sales might find their asking price whittled down.
Mr Lee Liat Yeang, a partner in Rodyk & Davidson's Real Estate Practice Group, said the en bloc potential for sites of gross plot ratio 1.4 will 'certainly be affected' by these new planning rules.
He added that developers will find it harder to achieve higher selling prices for their new units which have to be larger than 'shoebox size' so as to satisfy the maximum number of new units to be built. 'Developers will take into account these new planning rules in their decision-making process, which will definitely affect their tender prices for such sites,' Mr Lee added.
Some collective sale sites on the market with gross plot ratios of 1.4 include Green Lodge on Toh Tuck Road and Henry Park Apartments, off Holland Road.
Mr Jason Chee, 36, a bank executive who has lived in Telok Kurau for seven years, hailed the new rules as they will reduce the number of cars, and consequently congestion.
But he noted the 'possibility' of the new rules affecting home owners who want to sell their land to developers.
http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20111124/ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS25-ZXUm.jpg (http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20111124/ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS25-ZXU.jpg) http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20111124/ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS25-MF7m.jpg (http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20111124/ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS25-MF7.jpg)

Duku
25-11-11, 10:24
Good news or bad news for landed owners in the vicinity?

Pros :
1) No more uncertainty that your neighbours ( esp if land size is small) would be developed into condo
2) More uniform look in the estate. more exclusive and traffic free

Cons
1) Limited en bloc potential

mcmlxxvi
25-11-11, 10:28
Collateral damage...

gn108
25-11-11, 10:53
Too little too late in all honesty - damage already done.

bargain hunter
25-11-11, 17:06
long ago we already KPKB about this problem in this forum. now then want to chnage the rules. :simmering: :banghead:

kane
25-11-11, 17:12
I cannot imagine having some neighbours stare down into my house everyday. Lucky they intervene now. Otherwise kovan will soon be gone case.

wannabe
25-11-11, 19:39
It's about time...

Wild Falcon
26-11-11, 11:21
Just not too long ago we were discussing about how horrible is the living conditions in Telok Kurau and how these small developers enbloc 1-2 landed houses on 5000 sq ft and build 20 condos in the same tiny plot. I saw some of the developments and the window open up to a wall on your neighbour's hse and living conditions worse than HDB flats. Heat gets trapped in the area filled up with concrete walls with no breathing space. I think Telok Kurau and some East Coast small roads with all the low budget MMs are gone case. I think Kovan at least is spared the trauma.

devilplate
26-11-11, 11:31
Just not too long ago we were discussing about how horrible is the living conditions in Telok Kurau and how these small developers enbloc 1-2 landed houses on 5000 sq ft and build 20 condos in the same tiny plot. I saw some of the developments and the window open up to a wall on your neighbour's hse and living conditions worse than HDB flats. Heat gets trapped in the area filled up with concrete walls with no breathing space. I think Telok Kurau and some East Coast small roads with all the low budget MMs are gone case. I think Kovan at least is spared the trauma.
haha

5xxk very soon drop to 1xxk? GSS !!!

wannabe
26-11-11, 13:05
haha

5xxk very soon drop to 1xxk? GSS !!!

haha... you mean the MMs or the landed?

wannabe
26-11-11, 13:07

The situation at Kovan is already quite bad.
Just drive around Kovan estate to take a look.
There is construction on at least 2-3 smallish apartment developments currently underway on Kovan Road itself.

devilplate
26-11-11, 13:44
haha... you mean the MMs or the landed?
Got 5xxk landed in tk ? I want!

wannabe
26-11-11, 14:30
Got 5xxk landed in tk ? I want!

haha...is it too late to retract that dumb question of mine?

mcmlxxvi
26-11-11, 14:41
The situation at Kovan is already quite bad.
Just drive around Kovan estate to take a look.
There is construction on at least 2-3 smallish apartment developments currently underway on Kovan Road itself.
Space ship @ Kovan? Vibrator @ Kovan? 57 @ Kovan?

wannabe
26-11-11, 14:47
Space ship @ Kovan? Vibrator @ Kovan? 57 @ Kovan?

I think its 57@kovan , bliss@kovan.

irisng
26-11-11, 15:01
If a landed ppty with <1,000 sq m is located in between the 2 condos, then jialat liao, does it mean that it will be sandwich there forever.

irisng
26-11-11, 15:08

Fantastic, how they do that. 20 condos in 5,000 sq ft.:doh:

wannabe
26-11-11, 15:12
If a landed ppty with <1,000 sq m is located in between the 2 condos, then jialat liao, does it mean that it will be sandwich there forever.

Means cannot unbloc until ruling is reversed.

Fisherman
26-11-11, 15:47
Means cannot unbloc until ruling is reversed.

Jiatlat, who would want to buy such landed??????? Not me for sure!

irisng
26-11-11, 16:07

So if there are 3 landed, 2 of them decided to sell, the one left over with <1,000 sq m will have no choice lor, also need to sell, otherwise he will be stuck in between till the govt change the rules again,:doh: but don't know when leh.

wannabe
26-11-11, 16:37
Not true. Many landed estates do not come with plot ratio.
In the east for example, frankel, keris, opera estate do not come with plot ratios. These estates have 0 potential in terms of enbloc to develop into apartments. Have their prices been limited all these years?

august
26-11-11, 17:18

just a minor point. the term Condo is being loosely thrown about these days.

there are strict parameters for a housing project to earn the right to being call a condo, otherwise they are just private apartments.

the exact parameters can be found in URA's guide. for a start,

1. site area no less than 4,000 sqm
2. site coverage (footprint of buildings on site area) of no more than 40%
etc etc etc

wind30
27-11-11, 21:10
Good news or bad news for landed owners in the vicinity?

Pros :
1) No more uncertainty that your neighbours ( esp if land size is small) would be developed into condo
2) More uniform look in the estate. more exclusive and traffic free

Cons
1) Limited en bloc potential

the estate is still uniform meh? I thought already in a mess.

wind30
27-11-11, 21:22
last time I remember got bro recommending buying landed with a plot ratio because can enbloc.

Now really jialat. Lousy estate (crowded, messy, etc), and no enbloc potential.

land118
27-11-11, 23:25
last time I remember got bro recommending buying landed with a plot ratio because can enbloc.

True landed lover will buy into landed estate w/o plot ratio, and won't worry that neighbour enbloc and end up having low-rise neighbors staring down your garden...., at least now Gahmen realize this and curb MM from flooding landed estate...

hyenergix
28-11-11, 06:14
True landed lover will buy into landed estate w/o plot ratio, and won't worry that neighbour enbloc and end up having low-rise neighbors staring down your garden...., at least now Gahmen realize this and curb MM from flooding landed estate...

Where else can MM go? Not many places but in the midst of mass market condos. I expect in the next 1-2 years only 99LH MM entering the market. FH and 999LH MM will be very slow and often in districts that are out of reach of budget investors.

proud owner
28-11-11, 07:54

i think the term is Designated landed ...

among the landed estates ... many are non-designated landed .. hence they can be converted to condo/apt ..maintaining their plot ratio ..

designated landed estates will remain as landed ..and the houses there cannot be turned into condo/apt

serangoon gdns, T.K.. almost the entire D15/16 .. parts of coronations/Sixth Ave.. are also non designated landed estates ..

in fact it may be easier to count the number designated landed the non-designated ..

bargain hunter
28-11-11, 10:12
are u the same bargain_hunter as this?

http://forums.condosingapore.com/member.php?u=17494

Not true. Many landed estates do not come with plot ratio.
In the east for example, frankel, keris, opera estate do not come with plot ratios. These estates have 0 potential in terms of enbloc to develop into apartments. Have their prices been limited all these years?

wannabe
28-11-11, 11:04
are u the same bargain_hunter as this?

http://forums.condosingapore.com/member.php?u=17494

Yup i am the one you are looking for.

wannabe
28-11-11, 11:06

Its ok to buy land that has enbloc potential.
But not when the developers build MMs on those land.
How to have enough carparks in the development to cater to the inflated no. of units they are building.
Previously TK apartments range from 800sqf and above.

bargain hunter
28-11-11, 11:19
haha. welcome back. yeah. i agree that MMs really spoil landed areas. this is a good new rule (finally).

Yup i am the one you are looking for.

proud owner
28-11-11, 11:50
haha. welcome back. yeah. i agree that MMs really spoil landed areas. this is a good new rule (finally).

so can we conclude that MM in landed estate now ..have now potential ?

they will remain MM for a long time until some genius come enbloc them to be sold as Semi Ds ?

wannabe
28-11-11, 11:55

Yes. They are everywhere now. Causing further damage to the landed areas in TK, Kovan, Jalan Eunos and JC.
This puts off many potential land property buyers as there seem to be no limits to how many MMs developers can build to rip off aspiring private property home owners.
The main problem in these areas is the traffic & parking.
Those developers build MMs but do not cater enough carparks to the buyers of the MMs, hence when visitors of these MM owners come to the estate, they can only resort to parking outside the apartment compound to further worsen to traffic and parking situation in these estates.

hyenergix
28-11-11, 11:56
MM maximises use of land, n r therefore more economical for land scarce Singapore. HDB will b also building more MMs in future bcoz our population is aging n fertility rate will continue to drop.

wannabe
28-11-11, 11:57

they will remain MM for a long time until some genius come enbloc them to be sold as Semi Ds ?

Do anyone here know of friends/colleagues living in a MM apartment?
How is it like really?

bargain hunter
28-11-11, 11:57
unless that MM has a nice open view of the landed? otherwise its the same as MM everywhere right? then again, MM tenants don't care about view? :ashamed1:

hyenergix
28-11-11, 12:00
How is it like really?

I have lived in a studio for 6mths b4. Easy to maintain, everything is within few steps of walking distance. V good for singles or young couples w/o kids (or at most 1 kid).

wannabe
28-11-11, 12:02
MM maximises use of land, n r therefore more economical for land scarce Singapore. HDB will b also building more MMs in future bcoz our population is aging n fertility rate will continue to drop.

We are becoming like HK where families cramp into 300-400sqf apartments.
But do these 300-400sqf HK apartments also come with those huge balconies, planter boxes and bay windows?

proud owner
28-11-11, 12:18

actually i meant to say those MM in landed estate ..have NO potential going forwards ..not NOW ...typo error

proud owner
28-11-11, 12:28
i never once find TK worth buying ..

so many lorongs, so narrow ...
cars parked on both sides .. drivers have to ' snake ' thru ..

with more houses turned in MM ... a plot previously say occupied by 4 families with 8 cars in total .. now house many 30 families with 15-20 cars ..

we can find at least 1 MM project on almost every lorong ..

its overcrowding thats turning me off even more than ever

wannabe
28-11-11, 12:28
I have lived in a studio for 6mths b4. Easy to maintain, everything is within few steps of walking distance. V good for singles or young couples w/o kids (or at most 1 kid).

How big is the studio?
haha...maybe i'm a bit old school, last time studios are around 600sqf.

bargain hunter
28-11-11, 12:41
agents will tell u "RARE, MUST BUY!" hahaha

i guess having limited supply going forward may actually help rentals? not that they are very near mrts though.

actually i meant to say those MM in landed estate ..have NO potential going forwards ..not NOW ...typo error

wannabe
28-11-11, 12:54
agents will tell u "RARE, MUST BUY!" hahaha

i guess having limited supply going forward may actually help rentals? not that they are very near mrts though.

haha...dont we just love them...

hyenergix
28-11-11, 12:57
How big is the studio?
haha...maybe i'm a bit old school, last time studios are around 600sqf.

Abt 500 sqft. No balcony or bay windows. I have seen families w 1 kid staying in e same apartment.

wannabe
28-11-11, 13:01
Abt 500 sqft. No balcony or bay windows. I have seen families w 1 kid staying in e same apartment.

Ya, i think 500sqf w/o balcony, planters and bay windows is acceptable for living space for 2-3 people.
But have you seen 290sqf to 380sqf MM showflats complete with balcony, planters and bay windows?

mcmlxxvi
28-11-11, 13:07
Ya, i think 500sqf w/o balcony, planters and bay windows is acceptable for living space for 2-3 people.
But have you seen 290sqf to 380sqf MM showflats complete with balcony, planters and bay windows?
Is fine if day time kid is with inlaws, parents both working. Weekends they go out or use the facilities to enjoy. How much time do they really spend indoors where all 3 pax are active and not sleeping...

hyenergix
28-11-11, 13:15

I nearly bought one <340sqft this year, but after looking at e show flat, it seemed too cramped bcoz there was a bomb shelter! Too extreme for me...

wannabe
28-11-11, 13:43
I nearly bought one <340sqft this year, but after looking at e show flat, it seemed too cramped bcoz there was a bomb shelter! Too extreme for me...

Oh ya, i forgot about the bomb shelter...hahaha
The showflat i viewed at D16, the living room sofa
was placed right at the edge of the bedroom bed.
Talk about extreme!

wannabe
28-11-11, 13:56
Is fine if day time kid is with inlaws, parents both working. Weekends they go out or use the facilities to enjoy. How much time do they really spend indoors where all 3 pax are active and not sleeping...

Well what is ok to you may be deem too small for others.

mcmlxxvi
28-11-11, 15:23
But of course... Needless to say. Just providing a perspective.

wannabe
28-11-11, 16:17
But of course... Needless to say. Just providing a perspective.

Yup. Just a difference in opinion.
Think also no choice, with our population increasing at such a pace smaller units are a necessity. But can the developers have more heart and do away with those balconies, bay windows & planter boxes?

mcmlxxvi
28-11-11, 16:44
Think also no choice, with our population increasing at such a pace smaller units are a necessity. But can the developers have more heart and do away with those balconies, bay windows & planter boxes?
I think not... Unfortunately they are running a business and have to maximise profits especially in these trying times.

devilplate
28-11-11, 17:31

Open up ur mind

The world is beautiful ;)

devilplate
28-11-11, 17:33
How is it like really?
Actually if u look at The new indicator call per sqft per pax hor, mm can be considered as luxurious u noe....dun play play

Whahahahha

devilplate
28-11-11, 17:35
We are becoming like HK where families cramp into 300-400sqf apartments.
But do these 300-400sqf HK apartments also come with those huge balconies, planter boxes and bay windows?
They haf efficiency ratio....typically about 20% of the strata space goes to common lobby area

devilplate
28-11-11, 17:36

with more houses turned in MM ... a plot previously say occupied by 4 families with 8 cars in total .. now house many 30 families with 15-20 cars ..

Whole sg is getting overcrowded.....even pasir ris is getting there....sianzzzzz

Nid to move further up to changi village liao.....

devilplate
28-11-11, 17:38
U got it

Wat u deem too small maybe ok for others?

Open up ur mind and horizon

The world is very beautiful ;)

wannabe
28-11-11, 18:59

bobian. no $ to buy at frankel/goodman/meyer.
siglap just as congested.
only joo chiat and TK still affordable. if not must change district liao.
if $ is not an issue, i stay nassim liao! lolx

wannabe
28-11-11, 19:04
U got it

Wat u deem too small maybe ok for others?

Open up ur mind and horizon

The world is very beautiful ;)

wahlau HDB dwellers have been already complaining
of shrinking HDB sizes which have led to a dimimishing quality of
life which actually affects sg's fertility rate.
And btw 3rm HDBs are around 600sqf leh!

devilplate
28-11-11, 19:14
wahlau HDB dwellers have been already complaining
of shrinking HDB sizes which have led to a dimimishing quality of
life which actually affects sg's fertility rate.
And btw 3rm HDBs are around 600sqf leh!
We discuss before liao

Fertility oredi started to drop alot for abt 10yrs ago whereby hdb flats still relatively affordable

Its a matter of choice and rising expectations

Expectation management....hehehe

irisng
28-11-11, 19:57

I personally feel that balcony is still okay, at least we can dry or air our clothing there after washing, better still if there are sunshine. Bay windows and planter boxes are a waste of space.

mcmlxxvi
28-11-11, 20:34
Actually if u look at The new indicator call per sqft per pax hor, mm can be considered as luxurious u noe....dun play play

Whahahahha
;-);-);-);-);-)

irisng
28-11-11, 20:36
It would be better if govt can help to build a multi-storey carpark somewhere near the mm units, then it might solve the parking problems for the visitors or those with more than 1 car, cheers!:cheers4:

kane
28-11-11, 20:39
It would be better if govt can help to build a multi-storey carpark somewhere near the mm units, then it might solve the parking problems for the visitors or those with more than 1 car, cheers!:cheers4:

land too costly to build multi storey carpark.

phantom_opera
29-11-11, 13:48
MM is good for fengshui sometimes ...small bedroom is good

古代风水理论指出“屋大人少,是凶屋”,认为“大房子会吸人气”。因此,即使是皇帝的寝宫,面积也不会超过20平方米。  其实风水中所说的“人气”就是我们后来发现的“人体能量场”。人体是一个能量体,无时无刻不在向外散发能量,就像工作中的空调,房屋面积越大所耗损的能量就越多。因此,卧室面积过大肯恶导致人体因耗能过多而免疫力下降、无精打采、判断力下降、做出错误决定、甚至“倒霉”生病。
专家建议:卧室面积控制在10-20平方米为佳。

卧室如果带有阳台或落地窗,同样增加睡眠过程中的能量消耗,人容易疲劳、失眠、淫威玻璃结构无法保存人体热能。这和露天睡觉易生病是一个道理。

Bedroom with balcony / full length window equally bad.

Laguna
29-11-11, 19:44
reply from URA on the MM units

CBD and Geylang (Q : why no control in Geylang and CBD)
Regarding your concern about residential areas with GPRs higher than 1.4 in the Master Plan, the infrastructural provisions in these estates are planned to support higher density developments. Hence, there is no immediate need for further controls on top of the minimum plot size control. This is unlike the GPR 1.4 areas, which were planned to be low-density residential estates and typically only have small local access roads that are not designed to cope with the large influx of small residential units seen in recent times.

Residential developments within the CBD area are generally intended to be of a higher-density envisaged for urban city living. While the units may be small in size, the road network and provision are planned for much higher densities. We have not observed similar problems resulting from a high number of residential units in the CBD area. As the main issue is the overloading of the infrastructure network and not the size of units, we feel that there is no need for additional controls on top of the minimum plot size control at this point.

In the case of Geylang, the area comprises of a mix of various uses with a very different character as compared to that of a typical low-density residential estate. In addition, the developments in Geylang are generally party-wall developments or shophouses, and are already guided by the Geylang Urban Design Guidelines (GUDG). However, we understand your concerns and will continue to monitor the situation for these areas as well. If the situation warrants it, we will fine-tune the guidelines for specific localised areas.

Dual-key Units (Q : one unit 100 sq m with dual key and one unit of 40sqm, still within the stipulated limit, and the dual key units rented out separately)
Dual-key units are treated as a single unit as they are usually larger apartment units with an attached studio unit, but are accessed through a single main entrance. As you have mentioned, the studio units are not strata sub-divided or sold separately, but are generally designed for multi-generational living or for renting out. These units would be no different from typical residential units that have multiple rooms, where one of the rooms can also be tenanted out. Such dual-key units are also unlikely to add any additional traffic as compared to a normal residential unit. However, we will continue to carefully assess the layout and design of such dual-key proposals to ensure that they are indeed as such, and are not trying to circumvent the guidelines.

mcmlxxvi
29-11-11, 19:48
Clap clap well done on your email to URA

hyenergix
29-11-11, 20:08
reply from URA on the MM units

CBD and Geylang (Q : why no control in Geylang and CBD)
Regarding your concern about residential areas with GPRs higher than 1.4 in the Master Plan, the infrastructural provisions in these estates are planned to support higher density developments. Hence, there is no immediate need for further controls on top of the minimum plot size control. This is unlike the GPR 1.4 areas, which were planned to be low-density residential estates and typically only have small local access roads that are not designed to cope with the large influx of small residential units seen in recent times.

Residential developments within the CBD area are generally intended to be of a higher-density envisaged for urban city living. While the units may be small in size, the road network and provision are planned for much higher densities. We have not observed similar problems resulting from a high number of residential units in the CBD area. As the main issue is the overloading of the infrastructure network and not the size of units, we feel that there is no need for additional controls on top of the minimum plot size control at this point.

In the case of Geylang, the area comprises of a mix of various uses with a very different character as compared to that of a typical low-density residential estate. In addition, the developments in Geylang are generally party-wall developments or shophouses, and are already guided by the Geylang Urban Design Guidelines (GUDG). However, we understand your concerns and will continue to monitor the situation for these areas as well. If the situation warrants it, we will fine-tune the guidelines for specific localised areas.

Dual-key Units (Q : one unit 100 sq m with dual key and one unit of 40sqm, still within the stipulated limit, and the dual key units rented out separately)
Dual-key units are treated as a single unit as they are usually larger apartment units with an attached studio unit, but are accessed through a single main entrance. As you have mentioned, the studio units are not strata sub-divided or sold separately, but are generally designed for multi-generational living or for renting out. These units would be no different from typical residential units that have multiple rooms, where one of the rooms can also be tenanted out. Such dual-key units are also unlikely to add any additional traffic as compared to a normal residential unit. However, we will continue to carefully assess the layout and design of such dual-key proposals to ensure that they are indeed as such, and are not trying to circumvent the guidelines.

Becoz no MIWs stay there.

Eastboy
29-11-11, 21:49
I like ura's reply

kane
29-11-11, 21:51
i didn't know there was a specific Geylang Urban Design Guidelines. heh.

azeoprop
29-11-11, 21:59
I think developers will design more dual, triple or multiple key units to sell.... :D

Geylang OKT
29-11-11, 21:59
I am surprised that URA did not mention that certain parts of geylang, especially the lower numbered lorongs also do have height restrictions as well

devilplate
29-11-11, 22:09
I am surprised that URA did not mention that certain parts of geylang, especially the lower numbered lorongs also do have height restrictions as well
I am vy puzzled by the explanation given by URA for the case of geylang.....

I tot geylang lorongs also narrow and cramp? Traffic in geylang has always been one of the most congested .....

Ura tok about mix of various uses in geylang...looks like biz there shall continue in the long run....hehehe

Geylang OKT
29-11-11, 22:10

I tot geylang lorongs also narrow and cramp? Traffic in geylang has always been one of the most congested .....

Ura tok about mix of various uses in geylang...looks like biz there shall continue in the long run....hehehe

Our licenses are renewed yearly :scared-4: :( :scared-5: :banghead: :D

mcmlxxvi
29-11-11, 22:21
Ya surprised. Thought only age restrictions for lower lorongs... (Below 25yo)

irisng
30-11-11, 07:09
MM is good for fengshui sometimes ...small bedroom is good

Bedroom with balcony / full length window equally bad.

Balcony attached to the living hall is okay. Can use it to dry clothing because from what I understand, in a pte condo, there is no way that you can hang out your washed clothing unlike HDB and EC.

Unless there is a very good view, then I think bedroom with balcony will be fine. Every evening after dinner, sit at the balcony, have a cup of drink with your the other half, hmm how romantic, hehe.:ashamed1:

irisng
30-11-11, 07:18

Ya, those lower lorongs (I think from 10 to 24) with lots of eateries are more congested and complicated but unfortunately, I heard that most of the good food are in lower lorongs.

proud owner
30-11-11, 07:24
Ya, those lower lorongs (I think from 10 to 24) with lots of eateries are more congested and complicated but unfortunately, I heard that most of the good food are in lower lorongs.

i guess the difference is that Geylang lorongs are more 'commercial' .. its perfectly ok to be noisy and crowded

T K is residential estate .. the narrow roads + high density pose some kind of danger and is not ideal for living ....

it is good that they now put a stop to it

teddybear
30-11-11, 09:35
Oh No! :doh:
For sure you are not welcomed in my estate. :tsk-tsk: :p

Balcony attached to the living hall is okay. Can use it to dry clothing because from what I understand, in a pte condo, there is no way that you can hang out your washed clothing unlike HDB and EC.

Unless there is a very good view, then I think bedroom with balcony will be fine. Every evening after dinner, sit at the balcony, have a cup of drink with your the other half, hmm how romantic, hehe.:ashamed1:

Laguna
30-11-11, 15:27
i didn't know there was a specific Geylang Urban Design Guidelines. heh.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dchbr/pt2geylangurbandesignguidelines-dchbr.pdf

irisng
30-11-11, 20:51
Oh No! :doh:
For sure you are not welcomed in my estate. :tsk-tsk: :p

Oh dear , please:not-worthy:

kane
30-11-11, 21:18
http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dchbr/pt2geylangurbandesignguidelines-dchbr.pdf

that is a lot of detailed guideline.