PDA

View Full Version : Complaint from neighbour about noise

SGP
21-11-11, 09:30
Hi,

I'm currently renovating my inter-terrace and received some complaints from a neighbour who is one house away (not immediate neighbour). It was a Saturday morning. While we feel bad that we are disturbing them, we really can't do anything about the noise. The contractor has to finish his work so that we can move in without delay.

Can anyone advise what we should do? I have checked the NEA website for the noise pollution guidelines. I don't think we flouted any rules. The contractor was doing some drilling to install the door frames and a bit of hacking of wall to put up the wet kitchen.

I really feel bad that there is already tension with the neighbour even before we move in.

Thanks for your advice.

august
21-11-11, 09:40
what is the complaint like? they come in person? their tone of voice? faces smiling or grumpy?

marc2050
21-11-11, 09:44
Work should be conducted weekdays office hour.
No work should be carried out on weekends.
I think that is the rules.

SGP
21-11-11, 09:49
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the husband came in person and according to my contractor, was very unfriendly.

I've told the contractor not to do noisy work on weekends, but he was also grumbling that they did not flout any rules.

clemdale
21-11-11, 09:53
Your neighbour should put up with the noise. It is beyond your control. Maybe to maintain a decent relationship with them you should pay them a visit sometime just to apologize in person. Give them an idea of what to expect, so at least they can be prepared for the noise. Show them that you have their wellbeing in mind.

Work should be conducted weekdays office hour.
No work should be carried out on weekends.
I think that is the rules.

august
21-11-11, 09:55
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the husband came in person and according to my contractor, was very unfriendly.

I've told the contractor not to do noisy work on weekends, but he was also grumbling that they did not flout any rules.

so is via a 3rd party.

i think just pay the owner a visit to say hello and acknowledge their complaint. Good to get to know your immediate neighbors too.

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 09:59
Bring some fruits as a peace offering while offering profuse and sincere apologies.

If they donch like the fruits, I can also provide discounts for mei mei services :D

DC33_2008
21-11-11, 10:04
Your neighbour is not wrong to complain as BCA has disallowed construction work to be carried out on weekend. It is better to talk to them.

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 10:05
yep... best to make peace early as your contractor is at fault.

SGP
21-11-11, 10:08
Thanks. Will talk to them this evening.

proud owner
21-11-11, 10:25
Your neighbour is not wrong to complain as BCA has disallowed construction work to be carried out on weekend. It is better to talk to them.

is that right ?

i believe saturday is still allowed till 12 noon

SGP
21-11-11, 10:45
I just called BCA to check and they said it is not under their purview. Asked me to check with NEA under noise pollution guidelines, and according to NEA there is no limit on working hours. Only guidelines on allowable volume of noise.

dmonddd
21-11-11, 10:47
Thanks. Will talk to them this evening.

they will fall off their chair if you bring fruits
put them in a situation that they have gone through it and may go through it again.

btw good luck...share with us your experience this evening.
i just want to check our moral standards

dmonddd
21-11-11, 10:49
I just called BCA to check and they said it is not under their purview. Asked me to check with NEA under noise pollution guidelines, and according to NEA there is no limit on working hours. Only guidelines on allowable volume of noise.

doubt it...look at surrounding projects..they worked on saturdays till late evening
they are the big boys and experts

proud owner
21-11-11, 10:51
put them in a situation that they have gone through it and may go through it again.

btw good luck...share with us your experience this evening.
i just want to check our moral standards

no use lah ..

prior to my reconstruction ... i drop letters into their letter box .. apologising in advance the noise and dust for the next 6 mths .. and even gave chocolate ...

one came back replying .. ' We can understand, everyone wants a new and nice house . good luck "

3 non reply

and 1 of them .. the ugly shxt from Channel news asia ..
always complain
he even threatened my contractor ..and called police ..

but he L L cos my guys only worked during official hours ..

there will be those who will understand and those who wont ..

those who complain .. let them be so long as you dont do anything wromg , no fear ..

remember ...you dont have to be friends with everyone

SGP
21-11-11, 10:53

Actually, I was thinking of buying some pastries from Crystal Jade.

august
21-11-11, 10:55
no use lah ..

prior to my reconstruction ... i drop letters into their letter box .. apologising in advance the noise and dust for the next 6 mths .. and even gave chocolate ...

one came back replying .. ' We can understand, everyone wants a new and nice house . good luck "

3 non reply

always complain

those who complain .. let them be so long as you dont do anything wromg , no fear ..

who is that ugly shxt from CNA? so yaya? :D

dmonddd
21-11-11, 11:12
no use lah ..

3 non reply

always complain

thats why i asked for response as I also foresee your experiences happening to SGP

Some have the tendency of bullying when you be nice.
But they forgot that a lion who doesn't roar now doesn't mean that it cannot kill. but you need to start somewhere.

still do it but be prepared. at times, such ppl without morals need to be taught a lesson. agree follow the rules. know your rights

but let them go easily off the stage. everyone wants face

mcmlxxvi
21-11-11, 11:12
Wa lan... Suay to have neighbours who are either working in media, lawyer or real estate agent... Anyhow either complain to forum, sue or pester you to sell or rent your house...

devilplate
21-11-11, 11:14
Wa lan... Suay to have neighbours who are either working in media, lawyer or real estate agent... Anyhow either complain to forum, sue or pester you to sell or rent your house...

got FB leh.....can paste tat on ur WALL mah.....hehehehehe

dmonddd
21-11-11, 11:16
Actually, I was thinking of buying some pastries from Crystal Jade.
depends on their profile..anyway, know your rights and if your contractor in the wrong pls do it

but no harm to pay a visit since he complained....misunderstanding and a hello session

if everyone LL like proud owner' neighbor, this will not improve morals of singaporeans
nowadays you hardly find rich but humble ppl or humble celebrities...

dmonddd
21-11-11, 11:18
btw dont go alone...good if you have your little DD DS with you
it helps to calm situation with kids around
nego tactic

mcmlxxvi
21-11-11, 11:28
nego tactic
Or bring your rottweiler if you have one...

mcmlxxvi
21-11-11, 11:29
I dont have that many fb fans for it to be effective lor... Post on celeb friends' walls lol

proud owner
21-11-11, 11:32
nego tactic

turn on your iphone recording also ...

can be useful

proud owner
21-11-11, 11:34

u will see him in the morning
with another korean host ...

he very selfish
park both his cars outside ... and leave his carporch for his daughter's slide

he somemore got the guts to ask my contractor to help him instal a ceiling fan ..
and didnt even pay them

my contractor told me after that .. i questioned why did he do it and why didnt charge ..he only said 'never mind lah ..

not only shxtty .. stingy too

dmonddd
21-11-11, 11:35

can be useful
agree but dont turn it on....have it ready
it will be obvious that you will want to get into arguments /fights and push the other party emotionally
dont go with agenda.. you will not be sincere

teddybear
21-11-11, 11:42
Why so troublesome huh?
Firstly SGP doesn't know him.
Secondly that guy didn't complain to SGP.
Just act as though nothing happen and do nothing lor, the way to treat that basic thing! :p
Do so much and give ownself stress for what? :beats-me-man:

agree but dont turn it on....have it ready
it will be obvious that you will want to get into arguments /fights and push the other party emotionally
dont go with agenda.. you will not be sincere

can be useful

proud owner
21-11-11, 11:45
Why so troublesome huh?
Firstly SGP doesn't know him.
Secondly that guy didn't complain to SGP.
Just act as though nothing happen and do nothing lor, the way to treat that basic thing! :p
Do so much and give ownself stress for what? :beats-me-man:

for my case ... he even called police and when police came..the workers stopped work ..
and that means time wasted .. = money wasted

to show face is to let him know .. yoou and your workers are not doing anything wrong .. and that you are not another wimp like him who only confront those foreign construction workers

teddybear
21-11-11, 11:53
Frankly speaking, I won't be bothered. Let the Police come lor. The contractors will need to handle anyway. They will have to instruct the workers to ignore all these other people other than Police. If workers didn't do anything wrong, Police will not come again after a few times (as they know they are dealing with some "mad dogs" complaints). This is the way to resolve the problem forever. Don't need to take things into own hands. :p

for my case ... he even called police and when police came..the workers stopped work ..
and that means time wasted .. = money wasted

to show face is to let him know .. yoou and your workers are not doing anything wrong .. and that you are not another wimp like him who only confront those foreign construction workers

hyenergix
21-11-11, 11:54
Install noise meter for 24 hrs monitoring.

august
21-11-11, 11:58

he very selfish

he somemore got the guts to ask my contractor to help him instal a ceiling fan ..
and didnt even pay them

my contractor told me after that .. i questioned why did he do it and why didnt charge ..he only said 'never mind lah ..

susanne jung and ste*** c***?
this guy cannot make it one, spoke to him before... usually empty vessel act the most arrogant and howlian. LOL

dmonddd
21-11-11, 12:04
Frankly speaking, I won't be bothered. Let the Police come lor. The contractors will need to handle anyway. They will have to instruct the workers to ignore all these other people other than Police. If workers didn't do anything wrong, Police will not come again after a few times (as they know they are dealing with some "mad dogs" complaints). This is the way to resolve the problem forever. Don't need to take things into own hands. :p
agree wit proud owner.
dont avoid and hide behind the contractor.

if you have complained about your neighbor who has his contractors knocking walls on weekend...do you expect contractor to talk to you only?

let's not do what others have been doing wrong

pick up the courage

my one cent comment

teddybear
21-11-11, 12:15
Frankly speaking, the contractors have to be responsible. When I renovate my properties, I won't know what time they have been working, what they do. Therefore, whatever complaints the neighbours have, the contractors have to handle themselves. Why be involved in something you have no control over? :beats-me-man:

agree wit proud owner.
dont avoid and hide behind the contractor.

if you have complained about your neighbor who has his contractors knocking walls on weekend...do you expect contractor to talk to you only?

let's not do what others have been doing wrong

pick up the courage

my one cent comment

SGP
21-11-11, 12:21
Frankly speaking, the contractors have to be responsible. When I renovate my properties, I won't know what time they have been working, what they do. Therefore, whatever complaints the neighbours have, the contractors have to handle themselves. Why be involved in something you have no control over? :beats-me-man:

That's true. I don't know what work the contractor will be doing and how loud it is going to be.....

But I will still go and talk to the neighbour later. At least do my part.

Rosy
21-11-11, 12:37
That's true. I don't know what work the contractor will be doing and how loud it is going to be.....

U are caught in between. Both sides will have their fair share of stories. Good luck

hyenergix
21-11-11, 12:39

Eh? I tot u shd also talk to ur immediate neighbours? Only pacify those who make noise arh? Those who never make noise have to suffer in silence...

buttercarp
21-11-11, 13:00

Whoever this person is?
The next time, if he ever comes again, record his actions on video and post it for us to see, ok?

Neighbours should tolerate renovations.
On the otherhand, new owners should be on cordial terms with them, but no need to be too timid.
I agree about giving fruit and bao.....it is a friendly gesture.

dmonddd
21-11-11, 13:43
Eh? I tot u shd also talk to ur immediate neighbours? Only pacify those who make noise arh? Those who never make noise have to suffer in silence...
yes...thats another valid point
proud gave card and chocs. if i am the neighbor, nice gesture from new neighbor and am ok if break the rule once/twice. Let it go.

remember minister's message to all - live in harmony

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 13:45
Whoever this person is?
The next time, if he ever comes again, record his actions on video and post it for us to see, ok?

On the otherhand, new owners should be on cordial terms with them, but no need to be too timid.

Well said :D

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 13:46
proud gave card and chocs. if i am the neighbor, nice gesture from new neighbor and am ok if break the rule once/twice. Let it go.

The squeaky cog gets the grease :D

dmonddd
21-11-11, 13:47
Why be involved in something you have no control over? :beats-me-man:

i disagree. We have control because we pay them.
Contractor normally breaks rule if they are behind schedule or the owner is pushing too hard on delivery. And at times, we refuse to listen to contractor and don't emphatize with contractor. but still there are some contractors bringing you to Holland if you dont monitor them.

Plenty of contractors' experiences - good and bad

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 13:48
i disagree. We have control because we pay them.
Contractor normally breaks rule if they are behind schedule or the owner is pushing too hard on delivery. And at times, we refuse to listen to contractor and don't emphatize with contractor. but still there are some contractors bringing you to Holland if you dont monitor them.

Plenty of contractors' experiences - good and bad

very true :D

mcmlxxvi
21-11-11, 13:48

can be useful
If you have 4S talk to Siri and scold it vulgarities if he ask you why you scold him just say dont kaypo I talking to my iphone not to you...

mcmlxxvi
21-11-11, 13:51
Whoever this person is?

Why bao? A bit salah like pray to deceased offerings... Or you mean bao as in hug... Bao bao lol

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 13:52
Why bao? A bit salah like pray to deceased offerings... Or you mean bao as in hug... Bao bao lol

I though one presses the bao :D

hyenergix
21-11-11, 14:32

If possible a nice gesture like helping ur neighbours to renovate their houses while u renovate urs can also pacify them. I'm sure.

dmonddd
21-11-11, 14:42
If possible a nice gesture like helping ur neighbours to renovate their houses while u renovate urs can also pacify them. I'm sure.
LMAO. Also volunteer to wash their cars or walk their dogs
OMG this is funny and getting out of line....LOL LOL

thanks for the entertainment. i really need one for a blue Mon afternoon

buttercarp
21-11-11, 14:45

Oh dear, I never thought of that!
SGP mentioned Crystal Jade.... so I thought of xiao long bao......

Bao bao.... no lah.... ang moh mabbee.....:D

Actually if the guy has kids, giving macaroons may be a good idea!
Just by looking at the colourful macaroons may make them smile.

SGP
21-11-11, 14:48
Actually, I bot Old Chang Kee curry puff liao. Comes nicely packed in a big box.

They have two teenagers, I think.

Thanks for the advice and the laughs, just when I'm feeling stressed.

buttercarp
21-11-11, 14:51
Actually, I bot Old Chang Kee curry puff liao. Comes nicely packed in a big box.

Oh.... teenager kids, perhaps their father having mid life crisis, that's why so grumpy. Hope everything will be fine.

mcmlxxvi
21-11-11, 16:24

Always look on the bright side of life... *whistle*

Eastboy
21-11-11, 19:16

ya just make sure you don't look too handsome later husband jealous that you trying to flirt with his wife....hahaha...ok joking, all the best!

wind30
21-11-11, 20:20
actually I think I also remember some rules about no noisy work on weekends.

I think it is only polite not to do noisy work on weekends. People might want to laze around on a saturday morning or wake up late, etc.

I think my contractor avoids noisy work on sat.

proud owner
22-11-11, 07:21

I think it is only polite not to do noisy work on weekends. People might want to laze around on a saturday morning or wake up late, etc.

yes i did think of that ...

when i bought my landed ..it was a old estates .. all the houses are old ..

just before my reconstruction ..a family renovation theirs 2 units away ..then mine..

before we knew it .. another started ...

within the last 4 yrs .. new owners , existing owners of old units felt the pressure and felt the need to 'beautify' the estate ..

and now .. almost all are nicely done .. and our estate becomes very popular ..

people have to understand ,..that with these renovation ..etc ..maybe noisy .. but it raises the value of the estate ..

buttercarp
22-11-11, 07:30

just before my reconstruction ..a family renovation theirs 2 units away ..then mine..

within the last 4 yrs .. new owners , existing owners of old units felt the pressure and felt the need to 'beautify' the estate ..

people have to understand ,..that with these renovation ..etc ..maybe noisy .. but it raises the value of the estate ..

That's the problem with old estates- renovations left, right and centre.
You never know when you will need to renovate your place, so it is very important to be tolerant of renovating neighbours. Usually if the noise is really unbearable, you can get signatures of other neighbours and petition against the neighbour involved. But you must have proof and evidence that the contractor is flouting the rules before you proceed to do so.

SGP, don't worry. I think your neighbour is not the scheming type but straight forward type, that's why he went to your place and told your contractor off. He is probably the type who just speaks his mind without thinking of the consequences. This type of people, you just need to smile and give them gift as a kind gesture and everything should be fine after that. Who knows, he might be on friendly terms with you after that!:)

dmonddd
22-11-11, 07:33
A very valid point
If I ever can afford to own a landed I will encourage my neighbors to renovate

Geylang OKT
22-11-11, 08:36
Oh.... teenager kids, perhaps their father having mid life crisis, that's why so grumpy. Hope everything will be fine.

must be the wife not giving him enough :D

dmonddd
22-11-11, 08:38
would love to hear from SGP on his/her yesterday's meetup with neighbor
a dipstick check on moral

Geylang OKT
22-11-11, 08:55
would love to hear from SGP on his/her yesterday's meetup with neighbor
a dipstick check on moral

he may not be able to reply - he may be checking into the hospital at the moment :D

dmonddd
22-11-11, 09:32
he may not be able to reply - he may be checking into the hospital at the moment :D
he/she may also be checking into a hotel room...small world..long lost old flame.

oops cmon we are throwing in some humor at expense of others.
joke aside. i want to know our moral standard nowadays.

I hope that it turns into a great meet up between neighbors

SGP
22-11-11, 10:12
Sorry to disappoint you guys, it didn't happen at all.:doh:

When I reached there at 6 plus, the whole family was out (probably for dinner). Abt 7, they came back, but I was busy talking to another neighbour.

Then I finally walked over at 7 plus. Their door bell didn't work, and the whole house was closed up. Every window and door was closed. I could see the family inside, but they couldn't see me standing at the gate. I rattled the metal gate to get their attention (all this while feeling like a fool) but still nobody saw/heard me. At first, I was determined to do what I set out to achieve, but after 10 minutes, I gave up. Some passers-by were starting to give me strange looks.....

I had to give away the curry puffs since can't keep. Next time buy chocolates or maybe fruits better. If there is a next time........

mcmlxxvi
22-11-11, 10:16

When I reached there at 6 plus, the whole family was out (probably for dinner). Abt 7, they came back, but I was busy talking to another neighbour.

Then I finally walked over at 7 plus. Their door bell didn't work, and the whole house was closed up. Every window and door was closed. I could see the family inside, but they couldn't see me standing at the gate. I rattled the metal gate to their attention (all this while feeling like a fool) but still nobody saw/heard me. At first, I was determined to do what I set out to achieve, but after 10 minutes, I gave up. Some passers-by were starting to give me strange looks.....

I had to give away the curry puffs since can't keep. Next time buy chocolates or maybe fruits better. If there is a next time........
Bao definitely cant keep! Bao yu can... (Abalone) ;-) Dont give up. Try another time. If they still ignore forget it. They just those typical chee*** who like to complain but scared to face the subject of complain...

august
22-11-11, 10:17

Then I finally walked over at 7 plus. Their door bell didn't work, and the whole house was closed up. Every window and door was closed. I could see the family inside, but they couldn't see me standing at the gate. I rattled the metal gate to get their attention (all this while feeling like a fool) but still nobody saw/heard me. At first, I was determined to do what I set out to achieve, but after 10 minutes, I gave up. Some passers-by were starting to give me strange looks.....

why not just walk in? usually the gate would not be locked if they dont have a bell. More likely they think u are some salesman or agent so ignore u haha ~

august
22-11-11, 10:18
Bao definitely cant keep! Bao yu can... (Abalone) ;-) Dont give up. Try another time. If they still ignore forget it. They just those typical chee*** who like to complain but scared to face the subject of complain...

wah lao how can u call then names when u are not even there. their complaints could be valid u know? haha

SGP
22-11-11, 10:20
No, I don't think they ignored me. They just didn't hear or see me coz it was already quite dark outside.

dmonddd
22-11-11, 10:50

Good try and same as others, don't give up
Not their fault for not seeing you. Don't have that thought/assumption (ASS U ME) that they are ignoring you on purpose

buttercarp
22-11-11, 10:58
No, I don't think they ignored me. They just didn't hear or see me coz it was already quite dark outside.

Weird family.....:tongue3:
Why no door bell, then how to get their attention.
A suggestion..... if you still bother about them.
Drop a card in their box to say you called on them last night but they did not respond to your call, and gently remind them that their door bell is non functional......maybe you like to put a little gift together with the mail eg a small box of chocolate or a pen.

Otherwise just forget the incident and if they bother you again, especially if your contractor has been following the rules, just tell them to STFU!:D

hyenergix
22-11-11, 11:36

U r such a bother! First getting ur contractors to make noise during e day n weekend, then kept ringing pp's door bell in e evening! No wonder u were ignored :mad: What a neighbour!

Eh, drop a note first to book pp's time lah...

Geylang OKT
22-11-11, 22:39
Should have thrown some rocks at their windows in a friendly way to get their attention :D

Komo
23-11-11, 05:47
Put an apology letter into neighbours letter box loh...also tell them when is open house with free maken:D or you can post your invitation here....maybe they read this forum too:D :D

Geylang OKT
23-11-11, 12:04
can you post their address here? I can send my friendly mei mei there :D

buttercarp
23-11-11, 12:14
can you post their address here? I can send my friendly mei mei there :D

Wah, you got how many mei mei, can even lend to people.
Be careful, or your di di will get sick.:D

howgozit
23-11-11, 17:45
This guy is a complete a--hole.

I feel sorry for you, having him as your neighbour may devalue your estate.

he very selfish

and didnt even pay them

howgozit
23-11-11, 17:46
Fruits are good.....

May I suggest 1 bannana and 2 kiwi fruits.

dmonddd
23-11-11, 17:59
Hope that all don't NATO when you are in same situation
Easy to tell others to move left or right

And those receiving don't be lan LAN to neighbor contractor making noise

buttercarp
23-11-11, 19:22
Fruits are good.....

Good idea.
Put the 3 fruits in a basket with a parang, and you have a nice fruit basket.

mcmlxxvi
23-11-11, 20:08
Fruits are good.....

Rambutan more local and hairy

SGP
24-11-11, 09:16
Good idea.
Put the 3 fruits in a basket with a parang, and you have a nice fruit basket.

Rambutan more local and hairy

This is hilarious! :D. But then..... how did my innocent thread end up R(A)?

proud owner
24-11-11, 09:42

from R(A) to Violence ..

how about a basket with a Pig's head ?

irisng
24-11-11, 19:41

And worst is during their children examination period.:doh:

irisng
24-11-11, 20:10
[quote=buttercarp]Whoever this person is?

Cannot lah, what happens if it turns out to be like Joo Chiat case, then jialat liao.:scared-2:

If for me, I will not bother to go over and offer or give any things to them, I'm very stingy, hol. If they come to you and complain, just be nice to them and say sorry, or try to talk or ask them about other topics other than the noise, hope that it will help to build up the rapport with them. If you happen to see them outside the house, say hello or smile at them.

Some people are very funny, the more you please them, the more they feel arrogant. They think they are rich, all these "gifts" doesn't "please" their eyes :eek: while some might be more polite as they always "give face" to people.

Geylang OKT
24-11-11, 22:14

Yah lor.... you guys are so R(A)! I am so blushing with embarrassment! :ashamed1: :cheers6: :eek: :D