PDA

View Full Version : Will rising rates hit housing demand?

maisonjai
07-10-11, 11:55
Will rising rates hit housing demand?

Factors such as migrants, strong rental yields may shore up market in coming years

Letter from Wong Toon Tuan 04:46 AM Oct 07, 2011

I refer to the report "Private property demand not expected to ease up" (Sept 19), which asked what would happen post 2013, with a potential increase in interest rates and a large amount of supply becoming available.

The property market is driven by a combination of fundamentals, such as demand and supply, population growth, job growth, interest rates and rental yields. Seldom can a single factor like rising interest rates affect the market significantly.

Undoubtedly, it will make property less affordable and thus reduce demand. The reduction in demand will vary and depend largely on how high interest rates rise.

A recent National University of Singapore study on housing affordability indicated that affordability decreases significantly when mortgage rates rise to 5 or 7 per cent.

Will we see these sort of figures come 2014 and 2015, especially under the current global economic uncertainties?

Current rental yields are between 3 and 4 per cent and reported to be strengthening till the end of the year due to the arrival of new foreigners. Presently, housing loan rates are below 1 per cent.

Interest rates rising to 3 or 4 per cent will be unlikely to have significant impact due to a strong rental market and pent-up demand. For instance, when interest rates rose to around 3.5 per cent in 2006 and 2007, housing demand and prices continued to increase.

Looking at the demand and supply situation, the report "Oversupply risks in Outside Central Region" (Sept 23) puts the average annual supply of private homes from now to 2015 at 13,965 units.

On the demand side, developers sold 16,290 units last year. Based on the demand till August, 16,000 transactions is achievable this year. It seems likely there will be no oversupply till 2015.

For 2014 and especially 2015, there appears to be a demand shortfall, as a supply of 21,642 units in 2015 looks huge. However, any excessive supply can be easily absorbed by new migrants.

In order to support sustainable economic growth, we must welcome 30,000 migrants annually. Based on 3.5 persons per household, up to 34,000 additional homes may be required from next year till 2015.

The fear of a slowdown in demand is overblown if such concern is because of interest rates and oversupply.

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111007-0000161/Will-rising-rates-hit-housing-demand (http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111007-0000161/Will-rising-rates-hit-housing-demand)?

gn108
07-10-11, 13:10
Sorry but who is this guy, Wong Toon Tuan ?
No disrespect - just want to know if he's is the industry or just writing a letter like us.

hyenergix
07-10-11, 13:13
I tot rental has peaked in Q1 or Q2? How does e writer derive 34k units per year? 30000 migrants /3.5 abt 8.5k... Demand is much lower than supply.

Worsty
07-10-11, 13:28
I tot rental has peaked in Q1 or Q2? How does e writer derive 34k units per year? 30000 migrants /3.5 abt 8.5k... Demand is much lower than supply.

I think he's basing on 30000/3.5*4 (number of years from 2011 to 2015) = 34k

radha08
07-10-11, 17:01
No disrespect - just want to know if he's is the industry or just writing a letter like us.

looney tunes...:D

hopeful
08-10-11, 15:29

funny that you asked.
many times analysts got in wrong.
so why do we put more stock in analysts' opinions rather than this Wong Toon Tuan?

kane
09-10-11, 00:16
funny that you asked.
so why do we put more stock in analysts' opinions rather than this Wong Toon Tuan?

I only used analyst reports for their data points and as a sounding board.

DC33_2008
09-10-11, 10:51
Do not take the analysts' report so seriously. Sentiment such as "Fear" and "Feel good" override fundamentals these days. Some academic experts have been saying that the local property market bubble is going to burst and correct since 2008 but nothing happens as yet. Would miss many boats if follow the advice. Just have holding power and ride the tides.
funny that you asked.

land118
09-10-11, 11:27
my gut feel, 2/3 of the time analysts get it wrong....no matter what they say ...whether stocks or property..:2cents:

DC33_2008
09-10-11, 11:53
They will not need to be analyst if they always get it write. They can retire young and enjoy life. Just like those financial planner especially the pushy ones. Will ask them what successful deals they have bought for themselves. Why are they still working if they are successful ?
my gut feel, 2/3 of the time analysts get it wrong....no matter what they say ...whether stocks or property..:2cents: