PDA

View Full Version : DBSS Buyer must remarry or pay $132,000 Penalty

xebay11
27-07-11, 13:43
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/property-management-news/2011/7/30863/dbss-buyer-must-re-marry-or-pay-s-132-000-penalty

Another Design Build and Sell Scheme (DBSS) flat buyer has been issued a 20 percent penalty after his wedding was cancelled.

After PropertyGuru published a story about a couple who was required to pay a penalty after they called off their wedding, another reader, John (not his real name), reported a similar incident.

He purchased a DBSS home for S$660,000 in 2008 from a developer, under the Fiancé / Fiancée Scheme and was required to turn over a copy of his marriage certificate by 20 April 2011. However, since the wedding is off, he is now disqualified from the scheme. He is also required to pay 20 percent of the purchase price as a penalty, which comes to S$132,000.

Despite his numerous appeals and even after consulting with his MP twice, he was advised to get married again. Otherwise, the developer is entitled to forfeit his deposit.

“I will be destroying my life the next three years as I need to save up again for my marriage. This is too heavy a penalty for me,” said the 29-year-old, whose monthly salary is S$2,500.

“I was with my ex-girlfriend and the location is nice. That’s why we chose this DBSS flat,” he explained, when asked why he did not opt for a more affordable Built-to-Order (BTO) flat.

When contacted, a spokesperson for the developer said, “The developer reserves the rights to terminate the sales and purchase agreement by serving a 21-day notice and forfeit 20 percent of the deposit as stipulated in clause 20 of the agreement should the buyer be no longer eligible to buy the DBSS unit.”

To keep the flat, John was told to form a family nucleus, as approved by the HDB. He is, however, unable to do so, as his parents already own a private property.

“Under such circumstances, the developer can allow another buyer, provided there is an eligible one, to take over such a unit,” added the spokesperson.

John's potential partner will have to be a non-Chinese, as the quota for a Chinese applicant has already been met.

Until such an applicant steps forward, John has to face the penalty.

Kena sabo by girl friend?

Lovelle
27-07-11, 13:45
salary $2900 and commit to 600k home. Very siong wor...

westman
27-07-11, 13:47

Not so lar as we have been regularly assured by MBT public housing DBSS is affordable.

buttercarp
27-07-11, 13:52

Ya lor.
$2500 x 12 = $30000 per annum.

So should not buy house more than 5 x your annual income.
So he should spend only $150000 on his home, unless he got other income.

Wah, why he kenna only, what about his ex?
Did not contribute meh?
So those on Fiance fiancee scheme, better contribute equally or sign some prenuptial agreement.

xebay11
27-07-11, 13:55
Guys beware...

xebay11
27-07-11, 14:00
Scrap fiance / fiancee scheme, next time.

No marriage cert, no buy. Simple.

Lovelle
Guys beware...

china gf or sg gf ?
take a guess

thomastansb
This one clear cut dumb case lor. They know need to get married and if they don't, of course lose the 20%. Nowadays, Singaporeans receive at least 12 years of education till Sec4/5. Cannot say uneducated as excuse liao. Dumbness is not one of the valid one either.

buttercarp
So got to marry someone to save him from the forfeit?
Poor guy.......

xebay11
27-07-11, 14:01
china gf or sg gf ?
take a guess

Ha ha could be either. PC reply k

xebay11
27-07-11, 14:02
So got to marry someone to save him from the forfeit?
Poor guy.......

Must marry non-chinese too.

buttercarp
27-07-11, 14:03
Scrap fiance / fiancee scheme, next time.

No marriage cert, no buy. Simple.
Got a friend who registered marriage, got HDB flat, then annulled the marriage after 1 year.
Dunno what happened to their HDB flat.

buttercarp
27-07-11, 14:04
Why must marry non chinese?
I tot if sell then must sell to non chinese since quota for chinese already met?

iwantgizmos
27-07-11, 14:06
Developer is truly not at fault here... Rules are rules...
If you want to buy DBSS, have to play by their rules...

Don't hate the player; hate the game.

xebay11
27-07-11, 14:07
Got a friend who registered marriage, got HDB flat, then annulled the marriage after 1 year.
Dunno what happened to their HDB flat.

Treat as divorce case. Sell or buy back as single.

xebay11
27-07-11, 14:08
Why must marry non chinese?
I tot if sell then must sell to non chinese since quota for chinese already met?

See the article...Chinese quota filled.

iwantgizmos
27-07-11, 14:11
Treat as divorce case. Sell or buy back as single.
Cannot, this will be worst... There will be a flaw here...
Everybody will act as fiance during application, then end up buying as single...

bargain hunter
27-07-11, 14:11
now must remarry non chinese somemore. so ridiculous.

stalingrad
27-07-11, 14:13
now must remarry non chinese somemore. so ridiculous.
no!!!! So Funny!!! This kind of thing can only happen in Singapore. haha, I laughed so hard I think I broke my back.

xebay11
27-07-11, 14:17
Cannot, this will be worst... There will be a flaw here...
Everybody will act as fiance during application, then end up buying as single...

Yep. So what can you do about it?

proud owner
27-07-11, 14:18
no!!!! So Funny!!! This kind of thing can only happen in Singapore. haha, I laughed so hard I think I broke my back.

it is ridiculous that only John is penalised with the 20 pct fine ..

what about the ex fiance ?
she should bear 50 pct of it as well

divorce she gets 50 pct of his

so its only fair she also take 50 pct of this liability

john should challenge the law ..

write to LHL ..MBT ..LKY etc etc ...
kick a big fuss out of it ..

iwantgizmos
27-07-11, 14:23
Must marry non-chinese too.
The article did not say "John" is a Chinese. You guys are all assuming it is.

bargain hunter
27-07-11, 14:25
the way its worded, it implied that john is chinese. LOL. if not, they should not say that chinese quota is up as it would not be that big an issue.

The article did not say "John" is a Chinese. You guys are all assuming it is.

Regulators
27-07-11, 14:30
This is the kind of gen y we have, utterly brainless. :doh:

amk
27-07-11, 14:55
This is the kind of gen y we have, utterly brainless. :doh:

btw u r in edu business rite ? so how is gen Z ? ;)

(for gen y, I tell u I have quite a few gen y friends who agree with that famous gladys)

masterkey
27-07-11, 14:56
John is non-chinese. The rule doesn't force him to marry a non-chinese. :doh: But allows for another set of eligible buyers to take over his purchase, e.g. another couple. However, since the Chinese quota is filled, the replacement couple must be non-chinese.

Don't always blame Singapore government lah. :doh:

buttercarp
27-07-11, 15:21
If John is non chinese, then even if he marries chinese wife, he is non chinese, so why cannot even if chinese quota is met?

howgozit
27-07-11, 19:22
it is ridiculous that only John is penalised with the 20 pct fine ..

what about the ex fiance ?
she should bear 50 pct of it as well

divorce she gets 50 pct of his

so its only fair she also take 50 pct of this liability

john should challenge the law ..

write to LHL ..MBT ..LKY etc etc ...
kick a big fuss out of it ..

It is the forfeiture of the 20% deposit of $132,000, not a fine that he has to pay as the article seems to suggest.

The article does not say how much of this $132,000 was contributed by John though it implied that he paid the entire sum. It could very well be a 50-50 split between him and his ex-girlfriend.

If he did however cough up the entire $132,000, this is beyond the coverage of the law. Kick up a big fuss and he is going to look sillier.

He entered into this agreement in 2008 when he was just 25years old, I am very doubtful that he could come up with $132,000 all on his own . His pay is $2500 now, how much could it be then at 2008? 4 years ago.

While I sympathise with his predicament, I can't help but feel that he must also own up to the responsiblity of his actions. Unfortunately, this is Singapore and property is a big ticket item, can't be frivolous about it.

linchong84
27-07-11, 20:32
haha it's so easy to guess..

most probably he is a chinese but his ex-gf is a non-chinese, and they had managed to buy it using the non-chinese quote due to the ex-gf.. Now that they broken up, he needs to find a non-chinese gf again take up the unit if he doesn't want to incur the penalty..

DaytonaSS
27-07-11, 21:05
$2500 monthly pay dont wanna apply BTO for HDB. IF he dont be a smart Alec go commit so much he will kanna meh? so now everyone need to solve his problem??

26 years old is not 5 years old, i believe nobody force his hand to sign on the line. What was the reason the "wife"-to-be left him? What if is he go F**k around kanna caught?

His family could sell their private and form a family nucleus as approved by HDB. But that would be too much to ask for his family???

Worst to worst file bankruptcy lor, 5 years later yi tiao hao han.

linchong84
27-07-11, 21:09
Worst to worst file bankruptcy lor, 5 years later yi tiao hao han.

why need to file bankruptcy? Not as if he needs to pay the developer $$

Developer merely forfeit the 20% he paid during snp..

Regulators
27-07-11, 21:20
gen z these days are too overly sheltered by their gen y or gen x parents, many have little backbone, always depending on people to do things for them. Many kids these days are only interested in short cuts and quick fixes, some do not even have the basic foundations and yet wanting things the easy way out.
btw u r in edu business rite ? so how is gen Z ? ;)

(for gen y, I tell u I have quite a few gen y friends who agree with that famous gladys)

DaytonaSS
27-07-11, 21:41
why need to file bankruptcy? Not as if he needs to pay the developer $$

Developer merely forfeit the 20% he paid during snp..

“I will be destroying my life the next three years as I need to save up again for my marriage. This is too heavy a penalty for me,” said the 29-year-old, whose monthly salary is S$2,500.

u r right, i misunderstood his meaning. he is destroying his life for next 3 years cos he need to save up again to get married. Frankly, i dont think he save the 130k in the first place. 4 years breath air also dont have $130k lor based on what his declared income.

devilplate
27-07-11, 21:44
Backside itchy.... Serve him right!

Got bto dunwan....only forfeit 5%.....
Haolian go for dbss.... Hahaha

land118
27-07-11, 21:50

Ya, man. Not worth...to set precedence and save his ASX...not sure how much his girlfriend earn but would assume more or less the same..., they should have apply for BTO 3 or 4 room. Since his parents owned private property, surely they can afford to help him out if they want to.:doh:

kane
27-07-11, 21:50

See the showroom gian ma. Backside sure itchy!

linchong84
27-07-11, 22:21
haha if his income exceeded 8k and bought dbss, then cannot blame him.. but it doesn't seem so as his income is 2.9k only.. so this kind is orbi.. maybe can consider marry his parents' maid since must be non-chinese?

bargain hunter
28-07-11, 02:27
and agent do calculation, 660k for combined 5k income, monthly only pay 1.75k...within the 35% of income recommended by financial planners = affordable! :doh:

See the showroom gian ma. Backside sure itchy!

ysyap
28-07-11, 05:47
For all you know, his ex may be earning $5k so add up to $8k, just nice for DBSS, since this was in 2008. :D

proud owner
28-07-11, 08:33
For all you know, his ex may be earning $5k so add up to $8k, just nice for DBSS, since this was in 2008. :D

the ex g/f should be penalised as well ...

still dont understand nor agree that he should bear the whole penalty

also ..it could have been the girl's insistence to buy DBSS and not BTO ...

nowadays young girls also damn materialistic

xebay11
28-07-11, 08:43

Could not agree with you more. It takes 2 hands to clap.

evergreen
28-07-11, 08:55
It's anybody's guess. It could have been their parents' idea.

As for women being materialistic, men are realistic too:
Half of men would dump fat girlfriend (http://www.myvidster.com/video/2259556/Half_of_men_would_dump_fat_girlfriend)
Maybe he dumped her cos she became fat.

So like you said, it takes 2 hands to clap.

ysyap
28-07-11, 09:15

nowadays young girls also damn materialisticHow you know the ex is young... LOL... Whatever it is, it appeared from the article that neither HDB nor developer is willing to shoulder this issue. This is an exceptional case and should be handled differently. HDB, being the big boss, should step in and render more assistance like helping to find another couple for that unit and not just say developer can do this or the man should do that... :doh:

ysyap
28-07-11, 09:18
It's anybody's guess. It could have been their parents' idea.

As for women being materialistic, men are realistic too:
Half of men would dump fat girlfriend (http://www.myvidster.com/video/2259556/Half_of_men_would_dump_fat_girlfriend)
Maybe he dumped her cos she became fat.

So like you said, it takes 2 hands to clap.Agreed that it may be parents' idea but if its so, the parents who own a landed property should step forward and help the guy...

Anyway I think this article's report is incomplete. So much missing link like what will happen to the ex who is not even mentioned here. Everything mentioned here revolves around the constraints of the housing rules laid down for public housing, etc. :scared-2:

linchong84
28-07-11, 09:50
Agreed that it may be parents' idea but if its so, the parents who own a landed property should step forward and help the guy...

- The parents own private property, not necessarily landed right? For all we know, it could be a geylang old 1 bedder, which is cheaper than the DBSS haha.. If i'm not wrong, if people want to buy public housing direct from developer/HDB, they have to sell their pte properties and be homeless for 30 mths before they qualify..

- What's there for the parents to help? That guy doesn't need to pay anything now at all.. He's just upset he has to start saving for another marriage.. Maybe can console him..

land118
28-07-11, 10:00
- The parents own private property, not necessarily landed right? For all we know, it could be a geylang old 1 bedder, which is cheaper than the DBSS haha.. If i'm not wrong, if people want to buy public housing direct from developer/HDB, they have to sell their pte properties and be homeless for 30 mths before they qualify..

- What's there for the parents to help? That guy doesn't need to pay anything now at all.. He's just upset he has to start saving for another marriage.. Maybe can console him.. He should ask Big Daddy KBW to help him ma....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Khaw-Boon-Wan/159098450816050

non of us here can do anything....

ysyap
28-07-11, 10:09
He should ask Big Daddy KBW to help him ma....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Khaw-Boon-Wan/159098450816050

non of us here can do anything....Yup only big daddy can help him... then like that everyone who has a unique situation, and there can really be many, will flock to big daddy, he will be a really busy big daddy! :D

howgozit
28-07-11, 10:13

I think you may have missed my point earlier.

It is a forfeiture of the deposit. Nobody knows who came up with what amount for the deposit. For all you know maybe the girl paid 70% he paid only 30%.

If he did shoulder the full deposit by himself (as the article seems to imply) then he will have to face the loss himself or sort it out with the girl nothing to do with the law. I think the article is intentionally excluding some facts to sensationalise the news a bit.

It seems to me this guy was riding on the girl's racial quota to get a foot in. Now he is crying wolf.

Cheers!

ysyap
28-07-11, 10:17
It seems to me this guy was riding on the girl's racial quota to get a foot in. Now he is crying wolf.

Cheers!Unlikely if he's the first batch of balloters. DBSS will open for balloting without any restrictions for racial quota yet. Its after balloting then the figures will be out to say what is left are for what race. :o

fclim
28-07-11, 10:34
Appears to be Natura Loft? Actually, the bigger worry is the 80% bank loan. As the project is completed since it was bought in 2008, the full loan would have been disbursed. How is he going to repay the loan unless he sells the unit?

ysyap
28-07-11, 10:47
Appears to be Natura Loft? Actually, the bigger worry is the 80% bank loan. As the project is completed since it was bought in 2008, the full loan would have been disbursed. How is he going to repay the loan unless he sells the unit?Only KBW can save him now... just allow him to sell and HDB pocket the excess profit while he take back the amount he's paid thus far... exceptional case! ;)

fclim
28-07-11, 10:58
Only KBW can save him now... just allow him to sell and HDB pocket the excess profit while he take back the amount he's paid thus far... exceptional case! ;)

HDB cannot set precedence or people will take advantage. The property was bought before all the CM, so is it possible that the parents can rent out their private property and come live with him? Easier to be flexible with that rule since it won't be a precedence as the new rule has already kicked in from Aug 2010.

linchong84
28-07-11, 10:59
Unlikely if he's the first batch of balloters. DBSS will open for balloting without any restrictions for racial quota yet. Its after balloting then the figures will be out to say what is left are for what race. :o

no lah.. during or after balloting, quota holds..

linchong84
28-07-11, 11:01
HDB cannot set precedence or people will take advantage. The property was bought before all the CM, so is it possible that the parents can rent out their private property and come live with him? Easier to be flexible with that rule since it won't be a precedence as the new rule has already kicked in from Aug 2010.

the problem is he cant buy it as a single..

his parents cant buy it too as they hold pte property.. so even if they rent it out, they cant buy too..

so nobody can buy, he can only forfeit it unless he find a non-chinese wife fast..

thats why i suggest maybe he can consider marrying the maid..

thomastansb
28-07-11, 11:05
DBSS is just another HDB lor IMO. Nothing different from BTO from HDB. In fact, those BTO now is much nicer than a DBSS in 2008. Just look at Tampines DBSS. Went to my friend place but I didn't tell him his DBSS look exactly like any other BTO. Just that he paid 200k more :scared-4:

thomastansb
28-07-11, 11:07
I don't know why is he complaining so much.. You buy a laptop, furniture etc, if you back out, also got penalty one lor. Who ask him so dumb..

his parents cant buy it too as they hold pte property.. so even if they rent it out, they cant buy too..

so nobody can buy, he can only forfeit it unless he find a non-chinese wife fast..

fclim
28-07-11, 11:09

Hmm.. yeah. What if the maid is already married? hehe. I thought forfeit is easier to decide. Settling the loan will be hard if can't sell.

linchong84
28-07-11, 11:22
I don't know why is he complaining so much.. You buy a laptop, furniture etc, if you back out, also got penalty one lor. Who ask him so dumb..

if it's laptop, etc, whereby u lose deposit of a few hundreds then of course not a big issue.. but now is 133k leh.. can downpay 20% for a 1 bedder haha..

actually i do sympathise with him a bit also lah.. for pte, if the owner regrets, he could have just sell it at a loss and get most money back.. for hdb, it's just a small penalty.. but for dbss, this guy got money also cant buy which is the ridiculous thing..

hdb needs to tweak some rules lah.. penalties are a must, but 20% appears to be too much just because the planned marriage is called off..

DaytonaSS
28-07-11, 11:53
if it's laptop, etc, whereby u lose deposit of a few hundreds then of course not a big issue.. but now is 133k leh.. can downpay 20% for a 1 bedder haha..

actually i do sympathise with him a bit also lah.. for pte, if the owner regrets, he could have just sell it at a loss and get most money back.. for hdb, it's just a small penalty.. but for dbss, this guy got money also cant buy which is the ridiculous thing..

hdb needs to tweak some rules lah.. penalties are a must, but 20% appears to be too much just because the planned marriage is called off..

This is a business deal in my view. Too bad is DBSS, so developer is involved. If situation is market goes down or so much BTO to choose from(which is ard 200k cheaper) and pple wants to back out of the deal which they sign few years before... they can just claim they are not getting married now and break contract without penality, then how?

in the first place, dont have DBSS is the best. Focus on BTO and if HDB wants to differentiate their products, have a team of inhouse designers to have an option to tailor n design finishes for better quality HDB products.

howgozit
28-07-11, 13:13
I think the main problem is that people are getting married for the wrong reasons. That is, to jump into the property bandwagon for fear of losing out. This is quite typical of many Singaporeans.

I think for the few that backed out of a marriage and lose the deposit, there are many more that are biting the bullet in a loveless marriage just so as to not to lose the deposit. The chain of destruction moves downstream and many more lives destroyed that way in a long run.

ysyap
28-07-11, 13:24
no lah.. during or after balloting, quota holds..Yes what I'm saying is if its the first batch, the race quota will not be a consideration. He will not try to get a non-Chinese so as to buy a unit there. However, if its the subsequent batches, statistics will be released by developer saying 'oh Chinese quota met already' so he goes in search of a non-Chinese. Yes that's what I meant! :spliff:

ysyap
28-07-11, 13:28

thats why i suggest maybe he can consider marrying the maid..Marry maid? :scared-1: If its purely business, I'd rather he look for his friends and see which lady still single and don't mind to lend her name to marry and so buy. Then 5 years later sell and split profit then divorce... Wow! I can't believe I'm even saying this! :ashamed1:

xebay11
28-07-11, 13:35
Marry maid? :scared-1: If its purely business, I'd rather he look for his friends and see which lady still single and don't mind to lend her name to marry and so buy. Then 5 years later sell and split profit then divorce... Wow! I can't believe I'm even saying this! :ashamed1:

Sounds like a plan.....shhhhhhhh...maybe even get some sugar along the way LOL

iwantgizmos
28-07-11, 13:45
I think the main problem is that people are getting married for the wrong reasons. That is, to jump into the property bandwagon for fear of losing out. This is quite typical of many Singaporeans.

I think for the few that backed out of a marriage and lose the deposit, there are many more that are biting the bullet in a loveless marriage just so as to not to lose the deposit. The chain of destruction moves downstream and many more lives destroyed that way in a long run.
this is so true. i heard lots of stories loveless couples divorce and most of the legal issues come up because of PORPERTY...
the guy will definitely lose in the end... court ordered sale of matrimonial home to be divided equally eventhough the guy pays the bulk of it....
some say women are safeguarded by the Women's Charter (Chapter 353). Not too sure. I am just a property investor not laywer. :ashamed1:

But nonetheless , the outcome is still messy... Court proceedings, etc, etc... Totally not worth the property investment...

howgozit
28-07-11, 13:49
Marry maid? :scared-1: If its purely business, I'd rather he look for his friends and see which lady still single and don't mind to lend her name to marry and so buy. Then 5 years later sell and split profit then divorce... Wow! I can't believe I'm even saying this! :ashamed1:

only one problem, after 5 years the girl doesn't just want only the profit but half of his assets and the woman's charter will back her up like that than how? lose more leh

kingkong1984
28-07-11, 13:59
only one problem, after 5 years the girl doesn't just want only the profit but half of his assets and the woman's charter will back her up like that than how? lose more leh

marry abroad...

can choose race also...

Just pay.

thomastansb
28-07-11, 14:16
A few hundred is like 20% of purchase price? Same for DBSS mah.. No difference. Just that the quantum is bigger but % wise, it is similar. Developer are there to make $. Not open for charity. If not, how to answer to shareholders?

xebay11
28-07-11, 14:20

Is this really true that the woman can just claim 50% like that? I think the court would only award that if the woman can prove gross misconduct or adultery.

thomastansb
28-07-11, 14:22
Doesn't work this way. My sister is a divorcee. The court will ask for evidence of payment for the house and it will be split equally according to how much you have paid. My sister pay more and got more % in terms of profit also. But court rule there will be $0 maintenance because she is working. And she doesn't get any assets from the ex-husband because all doesn't belong to her unless she can prove they work together for it. Eg: Business under husband name but wife working for the family business etc... The lawyer say unless got children then complicated. But if no child, then easy case. She get her share, he get his. No maintenance if woman is working. Even if not working, must also prove she can't find a job or have to accept lower pay compare to if she has been working all the years. This is what the lawyer says. Contrary to many who say women sure win or gain.

thomastansb
28-07-11, 14:26
My sister is a victim of adultery from her husband. She get nothing but she did try to claim for psychological damages. You claim what is yours only + damages (if any but very hard to fight).

Is this really true that the woman can just claim 50% like that? I think the court would only award that if the woman can prove gross misconduct or adultery.

howgozit
28-07-11, 14:32
Doesn't work this way. My sister is a divorcee. The court will ask for evidence of payment for the house and it will be split equally according to how much you have paid. My sister pay more and got more % in terms of profit also. But court rule there will be $0 maintenance because she is working. And she doesn't get any assets from the ex-husband because all doesn't belong to her unless she can prove they work together for it. Eg: Business under husband name but wife working for the family business etc... The lawyer say unless got children then complicated. But if no child, then easy case. She get her share, he get his. No maintenance if woman is working. Even if not working, must also prove she can't find a job or have to accept lower pay compare to if she has been working all the years. This is what the lawyer says. Contrary to many who say women sure win or gain.

Yes of course, there are many considerations. I was just generalising.

But wrt matrimonial home, it favours the woman. A housewife who contributes no monetary maintenance to a property can still lay claim. Becareful when you enter into a marriage of convenience.

iwantgizmos
28-07-11, 14:42

But wrt matrimonial home, it favours the woman. A housewife who contributes no monetary maintenance to a property can still lay claim. Becareful when you enter into a marriage of convenience.
Yes. howgozit is right...

As long as the home is co-joint owner, both signed application form at the time of purchase, both are legally married, both have recited their vows,
both will have their own rights...

Easy to say, once papers are signed, it a legally binding contract, through the good or the bad....

Court of law is there for a reason, to be fair. Both man/woman have their own rights. See who get the bigger bite off the cake only... It all boils down how you defend or fight in the courtroom... Might be tough but the whole point is, is it really worth the effort...

buttercarp
28-07-11, 14:44

Sign prenuptial agreement, although I don't think there is such a thing in Singapore.

thomastansb
28-07-11, 14:46
Yup. That will be a special case where the woman is "working" as a housewife. Then the guy will be in trouble. Can claim maintenance + asset also because she is deemed to be "working" to support the house. So lesson here is to make your wife work. Part time also good.

:)

xebay11
28-07-11, 15:02
My sister is a victim of adultery from her husband. She get nothing but she did try to claim for psychological damages. You claim what is yours only + damages (if any but very hard to fight).

I kind of agree with this too, I think if the lady really wants to claim under adultery, then it has to be contested divorce and unless millions is at stake, the full proceedings and gathering of evidence in most cases is very costly and time consuming and usually not worth the effort.

novel
28-07-11, 15:59
It is the forfeiture of the 20% deposit of $132,000, not a fine that he has to pay as the article seems to suggest.

The article does not say how much of this $132,000 was contributed by John though it implied that he paid the entire sum. It could very well be a 50-50 split between him and his ex-girlfriend.

If he did however cough up the entire $132,000, this is beyond the coverage of the law. Kick up a big fuss and he is going to look sillier.

He entered into this agreement in 2008 when he was just 25years old, I am very doubtful that he could come up with $132,000 all on his own . His pay is $2500 now, how much could it be then at 2008? 4 years ago.

While I sympathise with his predicament, I can't help but feel that he must also own up to the responsiblity of his actions. Unfortunately, this is Singapore and property is a big ticket item, can't be frivolous about it.

Pls lah be responsible for your own action and commitment!! :doh: You were with your ex and the location seems right?!! With $2500 monthly salary you go buy a $660K hse!!! :tongue3: Come on, I every day walk pass Orchard Residence and the location seems nice, but after I use a calculator to calculate the sum I can't afford so back to square one look else where lah!!

linchong84
28-07-11, 16:04
You marry a normal charbo she will want to share profit with you and in the end when divorced, have some chances of paying matrimony.. so bohua one..

thats why i suggested for him to marry the maid instead.. like that can save on maid levy and her allowance too.. win-win! :D :D :D

xebay11
28-07-11, 16:39
You marry a normal charbo she will want to share profit with you and in the end when divorced, have some chances of paying matrimony.. so bohua one..

thats why i suggested for him to marry the maid instead.. like that can save on maid levy and her allowance too.. win-win! :D :D :D

No wonder govt dun allow PRC maid :) There will be high indcidence of "marriage".

ysyap
28-07-11, 23:30
No wonder govt dun allow PRC maid :) There will be high indcidence of "marriage".Got many part time PRC maids! :o

ysyap
28-07-11, 23:33

thats why i suggested for him to marry the maid instead.. like that can save on maid levy and her allowance too.. win-win! :D :D :DAnd must pay her mother back in hometown big ang pao plus to ferry her whole family over to Singapore for wedding (at least that's what they expect even if no dinner celebration is staged). You'll bleed to death too! Not just one wife but her entire chain gang all expecting you to pay this and that! LOL! :doh:

land118
28-07-11, 23:40
And must pay her mother back in hometown big ang pao plus to ferry her whole family over to Singapore for wedding (at least that's what they expect even if no dinner celebration is staged). You'll bleed to death too! Not just one wife but her entire chain gang all expecting you to pay this and that! LOL! :doh:
One wedding dinner in s'pore plus 1 wedding feast in china village...., u will be the carrot kena chopped until nothing left...:scared-3: