PDA

View Full Version : Official Kiasu Parenting Thread

Jadey
19-07-11, 11:34
Appreciate we can move all discussions on parenting here.

KarenK
20-07-11, 12:47
Appreciate we can move all discussions on parenting here.

why here? this is a property forum? shouldn't interested parties go to the KiasuParents forum instead? :doh:

bargain hunter
20-07-11, 12:53
coz there was a lot of discussion in the "property market sentiments" thread. so at least this new thread is better than digressing there.

why here? this is a property forum? shouldn't interested parties go to the KiasuParents forum instead? :doh:

ysyap
20-07-11, 13:09
why here? this is a property forum? shouldn't interested parties go to the KiasuParents forum instead? :doh:As much as kiasuparent forum discusses potential of buying properties near schools, we also need to discuss schools around our properties... :D they may well go hand in hand for one affects the other! :p

bargain hunter
20-07-11, 14:06
yeah. i think more relevant than the politics thread. LOL. :ashamed1:

As much as kiasuparent forum discusses potential of buying properties near schools, we also need to discuss schools around our properties... :D they may well go hand in hand for one affects the other! :p

bargain hunter
20-07-11, 19:48
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/pe-teacher-attacks-8-old-boy-075249994.html

amk
20-07-11, 20:14
I heard the school is Ai Tong...

bargain hunter
20-07-11, 20:57
but ai tong still no. 1 in take up rate/balloting. LOL.

I heard the school is Ai Tong...

ysyap
20-07-11, 22:19
PE teacher attacks 8-year-old boy

By kaifong | SingaporeScene (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/) – 6 hours ago

tweet (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/_xhr/social/share/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fpe-teacher-attacks-8-old-boy-075249994.html&text=PE%20teacher%20attacks%208-year-old%20boy%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News&via=yahoosg&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fpe-teacher-attacks-8-old-boy-075249994.html&lang=en&action=retweet)77 (http://twitter.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fpe-teacher-attacks-8-old-boy-075249994.html)
Email (http://mtf.news.yahoo.com/mailto/?prop=news&locale=sg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fpe-teacher-attacks-8-old-boy-075249994.html&title=PE%20teacher%20attacks%208-year-old%20boy%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News)
Print (javascript:window.print();)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/lnoG6QoTBJGtLmYHJwYrSg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-SG/blogs/singaporescene/blog_volleyball.jpg (http://media.zenfs.com/en-SG/blogs/singaporescene/blog_volleyball.jpg) A PE teacher has been sacked after she physically abused an eight-year-old pupil during her lesson. (Getty Images/File …

A Physical Education (PE) teacher from a top primary school in the north has been sacked after she tackled a pupil during her lesson last Thursday.
The female coach, a Chinese national, chased after a Primary 2 boy after he walked out of her volleyball class, reported The New Paper.

She was said to have wrestled him to the ground in the school's hall after grabbing him by his hair — all in full view of the rest of the class of eight-year-olds.

While the school declined to give details of the incident, it has acknowledged the matter and has conducted an investigation.

The school principal would say only that the coach "admitted to pulling the pupil's hair".

According to local media sources, the coach also nudged the pupil's head with her hand and tapped him on the foot.

A parent, who did not wish to be named, said her daughter's class had been going through a PE lesson on volleyball when the incident happened.
The victim of abuse allegedly walked out of the class as he found it "boring and repetitive", she said. The parent added that the enraged coach then allegedly slapped and kicked the pupil.

But the boy managed to free himself from the coach's grip and ran off to hide in a nearby toilet.

Another parent, a businessman in his 40s who also declined to be named, said his son, who witnessed the incident was badly affected by the violence.

"My son said he told the teacher to stop, but she didn't. He was so affected that he cried," said the father.

A third mother said her daughter was now "afraid" to attend PE lessons.
According to counselors, such reactions from children who witnessed the fracas are understandable.

Addressing the issue, the principal sent an online note entitled "Care and Well-Being are Fundamental" to parents on Monday.

In the note, the principal reassured parents that "the school leaders have met up with the coach and the teachers concerned to establish the facts of the case" and that "the school will take the necessary actions against any staff member and coach who resorts to corporal punishment during school lessons".

The principal added that the school has counseled the child concerned and will continue to work closely with his form teacher and parent to ensure his well-being.

"We want to assure all parents that your child's well-being is my key concern… and that we take a serious view of any corporal punishment in school" he wrote.

However, another parent, a businessman in his 40s who wanted to be known only as Tan, felt there must have been more to the incident.
While he disapproved of what the teacher did, he said that it must have taken "two hands to clap".

"I don't think the teacher would have lost her temper and laid hands on the boy if he has not made her angry in the first place," he said.

Adding that his son has been in the same class as the boy since Primary 1, Tan also claimed that there have been parents who have complained to the school about the boy's behaviour.

His claims, however, could not be verified. Attempts to contact the boy's parents were unsuccessful while the school did not comment on the child's behaviour.

ysyap
20-07-11, 22:21
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/pe-teacher-attacks-8-old-boy-075249994.htmlCheck out this other chinese national teacher I've just posted! :doh: Same school???

bargain hunter
20-07-11, 22:58
eerm, its the same article lah. LOL. :)

Check out this other chinese national teacher I've just posted! :doh: Same school???

ysyap
20-07-11, 23:03
eerm, its the same article lah. LOL. :)LOL... ok... so may not send kids to ai tong after all??? :p

howgozit
20-07-11, 23:35
LOL... ok... so may not send kids to ai tong after all??? :p

Maybe the teacher thought the school's name is 爱痛 Ai Tong (love pain)....:scared-2:

Regulators
21-07-11, 00:19
many kids I have come across in today's generation are really a lost cause. Everything has to be done for them by their maids and how often I see kids yelling at their maids to do things, absolutely poor upbringing. This is often the case when parents are too busy making money outside and leaving the of nurturing kids to maids and childcare/student care centres. These same children will grow up to be wimps and will not be able to take the hard knocks in life. It is even sadder to see parents slogging day and night to save up and buy a house for their wimpy kids and fighting hard to get them into elite schools in the early years in the hope that they will get a good headstart in life. You nurture your kid and discipline them well at an early age at home and it doesn't matter what primary school they go to, they will excel. I have come across too many wimps going to elite primary schools but in the end still can't make it coz their parents don't know how to educate and discipline their kids at home. :doh:

ysyap
21-07-11, 06:24
many kids I have come across in today's generation are really a lost cause. Everything has to be done for them by their maids and how often I see kids yelling at their maids to do things, absolutely poor upbringing. This is often the case when parents are too busy making money outside and leaving the of nurturing kids to maids and childcare/student care centres. These same children will grow up to be wimps and will not be able to take the hard knocks in life. It is even sadder to see parents slogging day and night to save up and buy a house for their wimpy kids and fighting hard to get them into elite schools in the early years in the hope that they will get a good headstart in life. You nurture your kid and discipline them well at an early age at home and it doesn't matter what primary school they go to, they will excel. I have come across too many wimps going to elite primary schools but in the end still can't make it coz their parents don't know how to educate and discipline their kids at home. :doh:I share the same sentiments as you. I hear and see kids not only scolding the maids but they secretly believe the world revolves around them. They expect people to pick up their left overs or to clear their mess. If from young they have been taught to clean up after them, they will not develop such behaviors or expectations during their teenage years. They will also inconvenience people around them in order to make things easier for themselves. :scared-4: Its sometimes frightening to even listen to the demands they make.

The worse thing is when their children turn out 'not so good' during secondary school, parents scold the school teachers, saying, 'I send my kids to your school so you can teach him/her but why did he/she start to steal, etc?' :doh:

This is not a case of kiasu parent but more of a bo chap parent. :tongue3:

Then again I've also seen some really well mannered kids and we are usually quick to conclude that these are the kids whose parents really care and take pains to teach and educate them at home. Like it or not, the type of children reflects the type of parents they have. :D

Having said that, we must also be careful not to over generalize. There are always exceptions when parents spend so much time teaching their kids but they just did not turn out the desired way. :beats-me-man:

HP65
21-07-11, 07:20
Got this from Kiasuparents Forum:-

Actually phase 1 & 2 should only for Singapore citizens (excluding those who turn Singaporean after 2005 who falls under Phase 3).
Phase 3 for PR , with phase 3a (siblings) 3b( pv) & 3c.
Phase 4 for foreigners.

If a PR child already in the sch n coming next yr got sibling wanna enroll then he will only be qualify in 3a unless they convert to Singaporean.

Those comments in red are added by me. The reason for the criteria is because the huge influx of PRs only came about after 2005 and there just wasn't enough schools to cater to this influx. Therefore, Singaporean's basic rights of education should be preserved.

kane
21-07-11, 08:36
but ai tong still no. 1 in take up rate/balloting. LOL.

And lots of parent volunteer signing up still.

ysyap
21-07-11, 08:48
And lots of parent volunteer signing up still.If the above article is really from Ai Tong, then it will not be number one for long!:tongue3:

hopeful
21-07-11, 09:25
Being a foreigner, so non-PR, not staying within 1km, non-parent volunteer, what are the chances of me sending my kids to top schools?
If really very low chance, then have to use traditional methods, which leads me to this question:
Does donations to top primary and secondary schools still matters?

lindatlc
21-07-11, 09:38
Being a foreigner, so non-PR, not staying within 1km, non-parent volunteer, what are the chances of me sending my kids to top schools?
If really very low chance, then have to use traditional methods, which leads me to this question:
Hi, anyone send your kids to Hong wen school or Kuo chuan presbyterian primary?
I am considering putting my girl in either one in 2013.

bargain hunter
21-07-11, 10:20
from MOE's FAQ page:

56. Can I donate to the school in order to get a place for my child?

The buying of school places is strictly not allowed. All school principals are aware that under no circumstances are they to solicit or accept donations in exchange for school places.

hopeful
21-07-11, 10:27
from MOE's FAQ page:

56. Can I donate to the school in order to get a place for my child?

The buying of school places is strictly not allowed. All school principals are aware that under no circumstances are they to solicit or accept donations in exchange for school places.

Thanks very much for the info.

However, this leads me to another question.
usually the biggest rush is during the primary1 and secondary1 registration periods and there will be no places for kids from people like me.
However, between primary1 to 6 and secondary1 to 4, there will be dropouts in top schools.
Is there any obstacles to enter kids to top schools during primary 3 or secondary 2? Any waiting list of the sort?

ysyap
21-07-11, 11:06
Thanks very much for the info.

However, this leads me to another question.
usually the biggest rush is during the primary1 and secondary1 registration periods and there will be no places for kids from people like me.
However, between primary1 to 6 and secondary1 to 4, there will be dropouts in top schools.
Is there any obstacles to enter kids to top schools during primary 3 or secondary 2? Any waiting list of the sort?I guess it varies school to school. It is in your interest to just call up the school of your choice and make more detailed enquiries. Yes there is usually a waiting list for good or elite schools subjected to MOE's approval for govt schools and interviews for independent schools. School administrators will be able to better advise you on this matter. :p

Regulators
21-07-11, 14:23
These parents who think their kids can do no wrong will put the blame on teachers and tutors. I have heard parents saying all kinds of nasty things about tutors and teachers and commented they don't know how to teach their kids, but the parents never realise that there are also many students who excel under the guidance of the same teacher in school so what are they talking about.

The case of the PE teacher who attacked the 8 year old kid I think is blown out of proportion. Back in those days we get smacked by teachers and discipline masters all the time for doing the wrong things so I do not think this case warrants a sacking (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/pe-teacher-attacks-8-old-boy-075249994.html). As a kid, I will never dare run away from a lesson no matter how boring it is, it just shows the kind of poor upbringing this kid has. Some kids really deserve a smacking for their terrible conduct, if the parents don't smack them, then someone has to do it. I am all for corporal punishment and I think they should bring it back to schools.

I share the same sentiments as you. I hear and see kids not only scolding the maids but they secretly believe the world revolves around them. They expect people to pick up their left overs or to clear their mess. If from young they have been taught to clean up after them, they will not develop such behaviors or expectations during their teenage years. They will also inconvenience people around them in order to make things easier for themselves. :scared-4: Its sometimes frightening to even listen to the demands they make.

The worse thing is when their children turn out 'not so good' during secondary school, parents scold the school teachers, saying, 'I send my kids to your school so you can teach him/her but why did he/she start to steal, etc?' :doh:

This is not a case of kiasu parent but more of a bo chap parent. :tongue3:

Then again I've also seen some really well mannered kids and we are usually quick to conclude that these are the kids whose parents really care and take pains to teach and educate them at home. Like it or not, the type of children reflects the type of parents they have. :D

Having said that, we must also be careful not to over generalize. There are always exceptions when parents spend so much time teaching their kids but they just did not turn out the desired way. :beats-me-man:

ysyap
21-07-11, 14:46
These parents who think their kids can do no wrong will put the blame on teachers and tutors. I have heard parents saying all kinds of nasty things about tutors and teachers and commented they don't know how to teach their kids, but the parents never realise that there are also many students who excel under the guidance of the same teacher in school so what are they talking about.

The case of the PE teacher who attacked the 8 year old kid I think is blown out of proportion. Back in those days we get smacked by teachers and discipline masters all the time for doing the wrong things so I do not think this case warrants a sacking (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/pe-teacher-attacks-8-old-boy-075249994.html). As a kid, I will never dare run away from a lesson no matter how boring it is, it just shows the kind of poor upbringing this kid has. Some kids really deserve a smacking for their terrible conduct, if the parents don't smack them, then someone has to do it. I am all for corporal punishment and I think they should bring it back to schools.Yes yes... teachers get complained by parents for not teaching their kids well. Teachers also get complained for disciplining the kids... :doh: So what they want? LOL!

Regulators
21-07-11, 14:56
I think these parents should just quit their jobs and teach their own kids at home. If their kids still don't do well in school or have behavioural problems, they can look into the mirror and vent their frustration at the person in it.

Yes yes... teachers get complained by parents for not teaching their kids well. Teachers also get complained for disciplining the kids... :doh: So what they want? LOL!

iwantgizmos
21-07-11, 14:58

The case of the PE teacher who attacked the 8 year old kid I think is blown out of proportion. Back in those days we get smacked by teachers and discipline masters all the time for doing the wrong things so I do not think this case warrants a sacking (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/pe-teacher-attacks-8-old-boy-075249994.html). As a kid, I will never dare run away from a lesson no matter how boring it is, it just shows the kind of poor upbringing this kid has. Some kids really deserve a smacking for their terrible conduct, if the parents don't smack them, then someone has to do it. I am all for corporal punishment and I think they should bring it back to schools.
After reading this post, I kinda agree.

During my when you get punished in school, it was really a "PUNISHMENT" Meaning, kena jialat jialat. But one good thing is, we all learnt from it. We brush these aside, and move on to be better adults.

Also last time if kena punishment in school, when you go home and tell your parents about it, parents will give you more punishment. :doh:
Double whammy I would say.

Now, it's the opposite. Students are not scared of teachers; but instead teachers are more scared of their students.:D

Regulators
21-07-11, 15:07
Some minister who thought he was damn smart came up with the idea of treating students as clients and also took away corporal punishment. That was where all the problem we have today started. If teachers treat students as clients, then it gives parents and students the idea that clients are always right and leaves very little room for teachers to educate the kid. Education is not just about standing in front of the class to teach, some students who have gone wayward as a result of poor discipline and upbringing at home requires teachers in schools to take extra measures or even punish them to get them back on the right track. If that privilege is taken away from the teachers, then the kids will just have to be left alone to rot in the system. Many teachers i know these days have resigned to it and choose to let the students be coz they do not have that extra energy left after all the admin work to pay individual attention to wayward kids anymore. Corporal punishment is the only way to bring these kids back, something that parents wrongfully opt out of the system. I can only say these parents are incredibly shortsighted. Because parents of today limit themselves to having one or two kids at most and leave most of the caring to kids, they tend to dote on their kids more giving them anything they want and spoiling them as a result. PArents do that to make it up to the kids and to satisfy their guilty conscience but they are doing the kids more harm than good. I have seen too many such cases and when these parents ask me what i can do to help their kids, i am often too polite to tell them it is due to their fault.

During my when you get punished in school, it was really a "PUNISHMENT" Meaning, kena jialat jialat. But one good thing is, we all learnt from it. We brush these aside, and move on to be better adults.

Also last time if kena punishment in school, when you go home and tell your parents about it, parents will give you more punishment. :doh:

Now, it's the opposite. Students are not scared of teachers; but instead teachers are more scared of their students.:D

extremme
21-07-11, 23:34
I am all for corporal punishment too! Kids nowadays are too unruly and rebellious and parents are too protective. Parents expect teachers to discipline the child but how to discipline when teachers dun have the authority anymore? I'm a firm believer of spare the rod and spoil the child. Even my 1.5 yr child now will also stop what she's doing when I threaten the cane cause she has been beaten by me so she knows I'm serious

Regulators
22-07-11, 00:36
you won't go wrong with the cane. When they learn how to respect and obey authority, that is when they begin their true education. All those parents that shelter their kids too much will regret later on coz when kids reach a certain age and entrenched in their ways, very hard to teach them later.

I am all for corporal punishment too! Kids nowadays are too unruly and rebellious and parents are too protective. Parents expect teachers to discipline the child but how to discipline when teachers dun have the authority anymore? I'm a firm believer of spare the rod and spoil the child. Even my 1.5 yr child now will also stop what she's doing when I threaten the cane cause she has been beaten by me so she knows I'm serious

PN
22-07-11, 09:54

In the past, there are many types of punishment in the school
1. Stand on chair
2. Stand on Table
3. Stand outside classroom
4. Smack palm with Ruler
5. Clamp pencil across fingers (I've not seen this but heard of it)
6. Standard cane on buttock
7. Crawl on the floor out of the classroom & back
8. .........

Personally I don't support some of the punishment like crawling or pencil punishment.

Interestingly when I tell my parents about these punishment in school, you get a simple answer. "See. That's why you need to behave in school and stay out of trouble". It works.

One teacher uses an indirect way without having to really use the cane. He keep his Karate uniform and black belt in the class cabinet and likes to tidy up his cabinet in front of the class during break time. So everyone knew about it and behave during his class. As a child, it's human nature to have the respect & fear of a black belt karate teacher.

ysyap
22-07-11, 12:53
One teacher mentioned the most effective way is to hit where it hurts. Some horrible kids take pride in being punished by teachers in order to still look good in front of their friends so it doesn't hurt them. Make the whole class stay back during recess usually works. They really treasure their recess! :D But not the whole recess, maybe just 5 mins is already unbearable for them! :spliff:

Regulators
22-07-11, 13:02
Some hopeless kids are even proud of public caning and the' track record' they have going to the principal's office. They treat punishment in school as an adventure, so the only way to deal with these kids is from home. Parents have to learn to take feedback from the school seriously and smack their kids for misbehaviour in school when it is due. When kids know that the system can be trifled with, they continue to manipulate the system in their own way.
One teacher mentioned the most effective way is to hit where it hurts. Some horrible kids take pride in being punished by teachers in order to still look good in front of their friends so it doesn't hurt them. Make the whole class stay back during recess usually works. They really treasure their recess! :D But not the whole recess, maybe just 5 mins is already unbearable for them! :spliff:

ysyap
22-07-11, 13:10
That is why our new generation of Singaporeans will always tweak the system to suit their requirements and preferences. They will ask for BTO flats without MOP. They will want to rent it out immediately! It all started when they were still in school. If our country wants to have thinking citizens, it must start with a more harsh and so conducive learning environment in school. :D

proud owner
22-07-11, 13:17

i am for it too

AND GIRLS TO BE CANED AS WELL

for the past few years the number of serious bullying crimes are committed by girls ... but they get away ...

names withheld, no caning

talk about equality and being fair to the female gender ...
only to breed such mozzies ...

PN
22-07-11, 13:45
i am for it too

AND GIRLS TO BE CANED AS WELL

for the past few years the number of serious bullying crimes are committed by girls ... but they get away ...

names withheld, no caning

talk about equality and being fair to the female gender ...
only to breed such mozzies ...

This one a bit tough. There is still a different between boys and girls.
It's the parents that matters most. Whether to cane the girls should be decided by parents and done at home.

Besides, if a girl wear multiple panties and with the skirt on top of it, these have already reduce the impact and pain. And teachers cannot check panties.

During my days, some smart boys wear a few underwear because of this. But the teacher is not stupid. He checked and asked them to remove before he cane. Nobody dare to complain to parents about these things because parents also support caning or worst face another round of caning at home as mentioned by some here.

Just to share with you on what I heard about some parents chartered bus to pickup other childrens (parents not invited) to their child parties. This is how parents are teaching their child today.

extremme
22-07-11, 23:38
you won't go wrong with the cane. When they learn how to respect and obey authority, that is when they begin their true education. All those parents that shelter their kids too much will regret later on coz when kids reach a certain age and entrenched in their ways, very hard to teach them later.
Sometimes even with the threatening of the cane they still continue what they are doing just to test the boundary to see how far they can go. Though they are so young they are already so smart to think they can get away with it. My son's a crybaby and sometimes it makes me so exasperated to see him crying over little things like his sister pull his hair I tell him if he doesn't shut up I"ll lock him alone in the room and he can cry alone. They know crying dun work with me but the dad always go cajole them whenever they cry so it's sending wrong signals to them. I don't know if I'm being too strict or teaching them e wrong way :( it's really not easy to bring up a child the right way.

Regulators
22-07-11, 23:59
You got to stand firm. once you let them have their way, they will see you as a paper tiger. If you study child psychology, you will learn that kids from a very young age know how to manipulate parents, even babies manipulate using their incessant crying and through deficating, but never never give in. if you let a kid manipulate the situation and you, they will grow up learning to make use of or step on others just for their own selfish gain. I know some kids may take longer to teach than others but if you persevere on, nothing its impossible.
Sometimes even with the threatening of the cane they still continue what they are doing just to test the boundary to see how far they can go. Though they are so young they are already so smart to think they can get away with it. My son's a crybaby and sometimes it makes me so exasperated to see him crying over little things like his sister pull his hair I tell him if he doesn't shut up I"ll lock him alone in the room and he can cry alone. They know crying dun work with me but the dad always go cajole them whenever they cry so it's sending wrong signals to them. I don't know if I'm being too strict or teaching them e wrong way :( it's really not easy to bring up a child the right way.

extremme
23-07-11, 00:11
You got to stand firm. once you let them have their way, they will see you as a paper tiger. If you study child psychology, you will learn that kids from a very young age know how to manipulate parents, even babies manipulate using their incessant crying and through deficating, but never never give in. if you let a kid manipulate the situation and you, they will grow up learning to make use of or step on others just for their own selfish gain. I know some kids may take longer to teach than others but if you persevere on, nothing its impossible.
Thanks for the affirmation. Duno why some kids are so well behaved but I've got 2 terrors at home. I'm gg to stand firm and discipline them the way kids should be disciplined. Must tell the daddy to be stricter also. Of course we must all still show them love but kids should not climb all over the parents head

For the recent case of an Nsman being caught getting the maid to take it, my friend commented that next time perhaps he will put all his son's barang in
Civilian bag then get the maid to take so Wun be caught. I Duno whether dis was said in jest or serious but just shows how parents are Polly cuddling their children now! If I ever caught my son do that I will give him a big scolding!

hopeful
23-07-11, 10:09
Do you think the Super Nanny or Nanny 911 shows are credible?
Within 1 week can change children's behaviour?

devilplate
23-07-11, 10:27
Totally agree

Once ur child can tok oredi, jus let them cry all they want when they r naughty

Baby cannot la....hehehe

Regulators
23-07-11, 10:36
They are just like those adam khoo workshops, the kids appear to change for that moment, a while later and they go back to themselves :doh:
Do you think the Super Nanny or Nanny 911 shows are credible?
Within 1 week can change children's behaviour?

23-07-11, 12:07
In the past, there are many types of punishment in the school
1. Stand on chair
2. Stand on Table
3. Stand outside classroom
4. Smack palm with Ruler
5. Clamp pencil across fingers (I've not seen this but heard of it)
6. Standard cane on buttock
7. Crawl on the floor out of the classroom & back
8. .........

Personally I don't support some of the punishment like crawling or pencil punishment.

Interestingly when I tell my parents about these punishment in school, you get a simple answer. "See. That's why you need to behave in school and stay out of trouble". It works.

One teacher uses an indirect way without having to really use the cane. He keep his Karate uniform and black belt in the class cabinet and likes to tidy up his cabinet in front of the class during break time. So everyone knew about it and behave during his class. As a child, it's human nature to have the respect & fear of a black belt karate teacher.

I remember abt this chalkstick that will land on you if you are talking when the teacher is teaching too!! And the 1 metre wooden ruler!!

kingkong1984
23-07-11, 12:24
haha.. I kanna it a few times in class when I was young. Talked too much behind teachers back. Teacher can turn around and be a sharp thrower. Like having eyes behind like that.

ysyap
23-07-11, 22:55
The more classic one is you will see your textbooks, etc flying out of the window and falling 3 storeys down! Punishment is no book during class and then going down to retreive it later and totally humiliated! Nowadays, students actually take pride in being punished by teachers! :doh:

23-07-11, 23:16
To add to the list:

Flying duster for talkative gals.

Stand on chair table or chair while pulling ears.

DC33_2008
24-07-11, 12:42
We even have some classmates that were almost thrown out of the window as our Chinese Teacher is really tall and strong.
To add to the list:

ysyap
24-07-11, 12:45
Now even 'suan' the student also kana complain by over protective parents! :doh: The ways kids are raised today will become the type of people we are increasingly seeing as the new generation of citizens as opposed to the way we were raised then! Hmmm... :spliff:

DC33_2008
24-07-11, 12:51
Just heard about the incident where the parents who are lawyers sued the bus operator for the return of bus fare of $700 as the bus did not drop the child in front of the flats but 2 blocks away. The incident happened in 2008 and only settled recently with the parents winning the case. School teachers are stressed these days otherwise get sued by parents for not able to perform well and helping their child to get 4 A*. Teaching professionals will need to take up insurance to protect themselves from such liability.
Now even 'suan' the student also kana complain by over protective parents! :doh: The ways kids are raised today will become the type of people we are increasingly seeing as the new generation of citizens as opposed to the way we were raised then! Hmmm... :spliff:

bargain hunter
24-07-11, 16:12
flying chalk was a regular phenomenon in my pri sch class, boys or girls. occasionally there was a duster but only if its something really serious. and it works, our class produced many successful pple. alas, gone are those days.

To add to the list:

ysyap
25-07-11, 07:50
Just heard about the incident where the parents who are lawyers sued the bus operator for the return of bus fare of $700 as the bus did not drop the child in front of the flats but 2 blocks away. The incident happened in 2008 and only settled recently with the parents winning the case. School teachers are stressed these days otherwise get sued by parents for not able to perform well and helping their child to get 4 A*. Teaching professionals will need to take up insurance to protect themselves from such liability.No insurance want to provide this service because its a sure lose policy for the insurance company... :scared-4: Annual payout can be in the millions!!! LOL!

DC33_2008
25-07-11, 08:45
That is why teacher/school principal will pressurise parents if kids do not do well in the class even he is in the best class in the school. Need tuition and from good centre too. At the end of the day all got stress up.
No insurance want to provide this service because its a sure lose policy for the insurance company... :scared-4: Annual payout can be in the millions!!! LOL!

stalingrad
26-07-11, 10:47
http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/news/news/703136/Demand_for_places_just_too_high.html

read this story about how the parent volunteer system has failed and invited ridicule from singaporeans.

I told you the P1 registration system is so full of problems, it must be overhauled. I hope the new minister of education is listening.

ysyap
26-07-11, 10:51
http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/news/news/703136/Demand_for_places_just_too_high.html

read this story about how the parent volunteer system has failed and invited ridicule from singaporeans.

I told you the P1 registration system is so full of problems, it must be overhauled. I hope the new minister of education is listening.He's so busy visiting schools and listening to teachers to be bothered about parents' concerns currently.

amk
26-07-11, 11:40

there is far worse case than this in other schools. a "mere" 40hr and complain already ? :cool: Ppl did 100hrs also couldn't get in.

it's very easy to complain "yea P1 registration is full of crap". some ppl even blame PAP for this. :cool: The fact is, as long as there is a differentiation of "TOP school" and "normal school", the situation like this is unavoidable. Ppl with the means will outdo the ones without. Removing all these "preferential" schemes, pri school registration will become either purely by distance , or by lucky draw, none of which is politically correct. PV system started as a way to help those without the means to get a place in tops schools. Without it ppl dun even have a chance at all. In the mean time, every public media, minister, MP, educator, whatever, kept on telling ppl " all schools are the same, no need to go to elite schools etc". and continue publishing stories of how "normal school" kids made it. it doesn't matter. parents will still try their best to put their kids into "named" schools. This is life.

ysyap
26-07-11, 12:44
They should go in based on merit and not how much hours parents volunteer or how near you stay from the school. Should have an entry test. Use mcq so computer can mark and not teachers who are already so busy. Those who make the mark will then enter the next phase of balloting. Can keep other phases like alumni or sibling affiliation though! :D

stalingrad
26-07-11, 12:47
They should go in based on merit and not how much hours parents volunteer or how near you stay from the school. Should have an entry test. Use mcq so computer can mark and not teachers who are already so busy. Those who make the mark will then enter the next phase of balloting. Can keep other phases like alumni or sibling affiliation though! :D

wow, you are so cruel. only 6 years old, and they have to do a test to get into a primary school.

not feasible. kids so young and their talent has not been fully developed. The good performers in early life normally are losers when they grow up, as they say in the west.

extremme
26-07-11, 13:14
wow, you are so cruel. only 6 years old, and they have to do a test to get into a primary school.

not feasible. kids so young and their talent has not been fully developed. The good performers in early life normally are losers when they grow up, as they say in the west.

6 years old and need to do test? the poor kids nowadays are already so stressed at such a tender age. Will be worse if need them to have an admission test. Then this is totally not fair to poorer parents who cannot afford to send their children to enrichment classes beyond kindergarten as likely their child will not perform so well as kids who attend enrichment

stalingrad
26-07-11, 13:18
6 years old and need to do test? the poor kids nowadays are already so stressed at such a tender age. Will be worse if need them to have an admission test. Then this is totally not fair to poorer parents who cannot afford to send their children to enrichment classes beyond kindergarten as likely their child will not perform so well as kids who attend enrichment
distance should be the only criterion. You don't want little johnny or Melissa to trek a long way or spend hours on the bus to get to school.

all the other criteria such as volunteering and memberships in this and that should be chucked out of the window. these are just invitations to game the system to get an unfair advantage.

DC33_2008
26-07-11, 13:28
I remembered my son's school has a simple test during the registration day in Nov/Dec. It is used as a yardstick to ask parents to help their children to improve if they relatively weak in certain areas. Not sure if they also use this to assign them to different classes in Primary 1.

chiaberry
26-07-11, 13:35
If there's entry tests for P1 then the poor kids will really have no childhood. From nursery or even earlier will be spent cramming the kid for the test.

stalingrad
26-07-11, 13:35
I remembered my son's school has a simple test during the registration day in Nov/Dec. It is used as a yardstick to ask parents to help their children to improve if they relatively weak in certain areas. Not sure if they also use this to assign them to different classes in Primary 1.

I hope it is not. it would be so horrible if they did. elitism should not be promoted at such a young age. kids should be exposed to kids of different abilities, so that they will develop compassion and sense of togetherness. while streaming is good in identifying talented kids early on, it runs the risk of creating little monsters with high IQs but zero compassion for others.

amk
26-07-11, 13:37
distance should be the only criterion.

so we should promote propertism instead ha ha ha :D

howgozit
26-07-11, 22:37
I hope it is not. it would be so horrible if they did. elitism should not be promoted at such a young age. kids should be exposed to kids of different abilities, so that they will develop compassion and sense of togetherness. while streaming is good in identifying talented kids early on, it runs the risk of creating little monsters with high IQs but zero compassion for others.

If you think negatively you will see it as a test to identify the elite. But if you view it positively, it may be good for identifying children with lesser abilities and allow them to learn at their own pace and capability.

What makes you think having low ability classmates will cultivate compassion in high IQ children? Also, have you thought about how demoralising it can be for a low ability child to be in a class of high ability classmates?

ysyap
26-07-11, 22:51
Every method of pri 1 registration has the potential to be misused and abused. Staying nearby favours the rich who can go house shopping. Parent volunteer too is ugly in its revelation of the spirit of 'kiasuism'. Entry tests too favours those who learns faster and may potentially casued parents to force that poor child to start preparing for it 3 years ahead of time. :scared-4: Can it then just stop at phase 2A or something and the rest will be purely based on balloting? :spliff2:

extremme
26-07-11, 23:00
so we should promote propertism instead ha ha ha :D
Dat s prob a factor y housing near nanyang primary r so exp

novel
01-08-11, 10:35

to be fair... if the teacher complained about my boy walked out of the class, he will kena big time from me :simmering: and the teacher can give him detention or scolding I am ok too. BUT if the teacher pulled my boy hair and kicked him, I think it's too much right? During my school days I dun see that...

Regulators
01-08-11, 16:39
Have you heard of kids that punch and bite the teacher? In my business, I have come across a number of such kids, not 7 year old but 10/11 year olds. Do you expect the teacher to treat such kids in a sayang sayang manner? From experience, it is useless telling those useless parents who do not know how to educate their own children that is why some teachers have to take drastic measures. Please think for a moment, would a teacher prefer smacking kids in school or to just teach peacefully and go home? Most teachers I know just want to do their job and stay away from all those problem kids. If you ever hear of your kid being hit in school by a teacher, you should really examine your kid first coz a teacher does not usually resort to such draconian measures if the kid is well behaved
to be fair... if the teacher complained about my boy walked out of the class, he will kena big time from me :simmering: and the teacher can give him detention or scolding I am ok too. BUT if the teacher pulled my boy hair and kicked him, I think it's too much right? During my school days I dun see that...

ysyap
01-08-11, 16:55
Have you heard of kids that punch and bite the teacher? In my business, I have come across a number of such kids, not 7 year old but 10/11 year olds. Do you expect the teacher to treat such kids in a sayang sayang manner? From experience, it is useless telling those useless parents who do not know how to educate their own children that is why some teachers have to take drastic measures. Please think for a moment, would a teacher prefer smacking kids in school or to just teach peacefully and go home? Most teachers I know just want to do their job and stay away from all those problem kids. If you ever hear of your kid being hit in school by a teacher, you should really examine your kid first coz a teacher does not usually resort to such draconian measures if the kid is well behavedI would have to agree with you on this. Furthermore there are so much news that shed negative light of teachers that teachers are generally more aware and therefore more prudent and careful in dealing with students so they will not unnccessarily subject themselves to such scrutiny.

I've also heard of a student who threw a chair at a teacher in class because that teacher mentioned he's got a nice haircut but this child just fought with his father at home concerning his refusal to cut his hair. Well should we tolerate such behaviors?

Then again there are a minority of teachers who should be taken to task too for stepping out of the boundary in school but there are always that group of people in every profession! :o

iwantgizmos
01-08-11, 17:25
Have you heard of kids that punch and bite the teacher? In my business, I have come across a number of such kids, not 7 year old but 10/11 year olds. Do you expect the teacher to treat such kids in a sayang sayang manner? From experience, it is useless telling those useless parents who do not know how to educate their own children that is why some teachers have to take drastic measures. Please think for a moment, would a teacher prefer smacking kids in school or to just teach peacefully and go home? Most teachers I know just want to do their job and stay away from all those problem kids. If you ever hear of your kid being hit in school by a teacher, you should really examine your kid first coz a teacher does not usually resort to such draconian measures if the kid is well behaved
I agree with this too !
Nowadays teachers will stay away from all "high profile" kids.
Teachers just want to live without all the drama and earn a living month-to-month.
When I was in school, teachers were more passionate. Getting punished is a norm, and that what's make us learn to be better adults.

Looking back, it's amazing to see how teachers from my generation are sharpshooters. Any projectile that they throw, confirm the student kena hit one. LOL. Those were the times... Really miss it...

Regulators
01-08-11, 17:53
precisely, it takes so much more energy to punish a kid than to just do the job of teaching, I really take my hats off to teachers of the past who bother to dispense with extra energy to discipline the kid, something that parents are not even bothered to do. That is why I say a lot of parents today are short-sighted and only see things at the superficial level and having their kids treated like customers and not be touched or disciplined. I think the kids of these parents who like to complain should just be left to rot in the system :doh:
I agree with this too !
Nowadays teachers will stay away from all "high profile" kids.
Teachers just want to live without all the drama and earn a living month-to-month.
When I was in school, teachers were more passionate. Getting punished is a norm, and that what's make us learn to be better adults.

Looking back, it's amazing to see how teachers from my generation are sharpshooters. Any projectile that they throw, confirm the student kena hit one. LOL. Those were the times... Really miss it...

ysyap
01-08-11, 20:14
precisely, it takes so much more energy to punish a kid than to just do the job of teaching, I really take my hats off to teachers of the past who bother to dispense with extra energy to discipline the kid, something that parents are not even bothered to do. That is why I say a lot of parents today are short-sighted and only see things at the superficial level and having their kids treated like customers and not be touched or disciplined. I think the kids of these parents who like to complain should just be left to rot in the system :doh:Glad to know that we share the same sentiments about parents' responsibility in raising their own kids and not push that responsibility to teachers. Anyway, I am also aware that these teachers sometimes are reprimanded for not disciplining the kids when these kids misbehave. So reprimand also cannot, don't reprimand also cannot. So how? :eek:

However I do notice a slight change in singapore's parents. In the past, parents used to be very ok when teachers execute discipline on their kids. Then it came to a point when parents become overprotective and scream at the slightest discipline met out on their kids. However, recently, I do sense that parents are becoming more aware of the need not to be so overprotective and more accommodating on the teacher's discipling their children. Or am I just hanging out with parents who share the same sentiments as myself? Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Regulators
01-08-11, 21:10
Over-protectionalism is a result of guilt and self-induced one or two child policy in singapore. As mentioned in my earlier postings, parents who feel a sense of guilt for not spending too much time with their kids tend to overshower their kids with attention and display signs of over-protectionalism. I overheard parents telling their kid that if they got top five in class, they can choose anything they wanted from the apple shop, I also come across parents inculcating in their kids that doing well in school is already a reward in itself as it will be a good start for them in life. It is all about mindset and how our next generation become depends very much on the parents and government of today. Sad to say with the current govt and education system, there isn't much empathy in kids of today.
Glad to know that we share the same sentiments about parents' responsibility in raising their own kids and not push that responsibility to teachers. Anyway, I am also aware that these teachers sometimes are reprimanded for not disciplining the kids when these kids misbehave. So reprimand also cannot, don't reprimand also cannot. So how? :eek:

However I do notice a slight change in singapore's parents. In the past, parents used to be very ok when teachers execute discipline on their kids. Then it came to a point when parents become overprotective and scream at the slightest discipline met out on their kids. However, recently, I do sense that parents are becoming more aware of the need not to be so overprotective and more accommodating on the teacher's discipling their children. Or am I just hanging out with parents who share the same sentiments as myself? Hmmm... :rolleyes: