PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the locations (for landed houses, and condos)

clemdale
11-07-11, 06:03
Hi everyone,

I would like to know how different locations compare in terms of prices (and why), and also, your opinions on the pros and cons of each of them. In particular I would like to compare locations in D9/10/11, D15, D19 (maybe D12/13/14?) and anywhere else you deem fit. Note that I used the word "location" because "districts" cover a big area thus it is not wise to make any generalisations regarding the whole district.

Landed properties and condos can be discussed separately if necessary.

I've been looking to buy a landed property for some time now (in D15's Mountbatten Rd area especially) so it would be great if you could let me know your opinions on it!

Cheers

bricksnmortar
11-07-11, 09:47
Hi Clemdale,

I've enjoyed reading your posts!

I personally favour Bukit Timah. Not sure what your budget is like, but do take a look especially at these areas if you can:

University Road/ Kheam Hock/ Trevose Rd - Good choice of everything from terrace houses to bungalows. Its one of those few locations where the terrace houses are located deeper in and you have to drive through the more expensive parts with bigger plots along University Road to get to them. Very Quiet and serene after you walk 100m in from the main road. Lifestylewise, there is Botannic Gardens nearby, Coronation Plaza (for good ol NTUC), the future Botannic Gardens MRT station (which will be an interchange station - Circle and DTL). 1-2km from Nanyang Primary (and RGPS/SCGS i think). Close to Orchard Road. Good exclusive feel. Cannot see tall buildings nearby generally. Near entrance of PIE. Near SICC.

I generally prefer those on Dunearn Rd side compared to the Bukit Timah side of the road. I feel that those along BukitTimah side like Duchess Rd have a more "crowded" feel to it, with more Condos and commercial buildings on that side of the road. Those near Nanyang are super-expensive. Don't quite appreciate the value there.

As for those further up Bukit Timah like Vanda, Namly, or even Sian Tuan and Hua Guan. Already considered "far" from Orchard by some. But lots of Value here i think. Especially with the upcoming Downtown Line coming up, these landed properties will be close to an MRT station, but with no noise pollution cos everything is underground. Trust me, this stretch is gonna boom in the future. Very few landed estates can claim to be exclusive, yet be close to good schools and MRT all in the same breath. This is the only stretch i can see in the next 15 years. Already the condos there like Maplewoods and The Sterling are benefiting. This area is worth considering, esp since i gather from your other posts that you are looking around the price range of Meyer/ Jalan Seaview. Maybe we can be neighbours haha! Am already looking around this area for myself....

Cheers, hope this helps

chho
11-07-11, 11:36
An interesting view point on value landed buys near the maplewoods area. It's true the jams should ease after the completion of the MRT and it has a more exclusive feel, perhaps due to the lush greenery, compared to the jalan seaview area.

The vanda area is too expensive (ie: around $1500psf) but but there is still value west of sixth ave. eg:hua guan area. Current prices of Hua guan should be similar to the jalan seaview area but the latter is in a superior location mostly due to to marina bay. Hua guan is really not that near to orchard and comparatively far from the financial district. So it's a case of exclusivity vs location.

Hi Clemdale,

I personally favour Bukit Timah. Not sure what your budget is like, but do take a look especially at these areas if you can:

University Road/ Kheam Hock/ Trevose Rd - Good choice of everything from terrace houses to bungalows. Its one of those few locations where the terrace houses are located deeper in and you have to drive through the more expensive parts with bigger plots along University Road to get to them. Very Quiet and serene after you walk 100m in from the main road. Lifestylewise, there is Botannic Gardens nearby, Coronation Plaza (for good ol NTUC), the future Botannic Gardens MRT station (which will be an interchange station - Circle and DTL). 1-2km from Nanyang Primary (and RGPS/SCGS i think). Close to Orchard Road. Good exclusive feel. Cannot see tall buildings nearby generally. Near entrance of PIE. Near SICC.

I generally prefer those on Dunearn Rd side compared to the Bukit Timah side of the road. I feel that those along BukitTimah side like Duchess Rd have a more "crowded" feel to it, with more Condos and commercial buildings on that side of the road. Those near Nanyang are super-expensive. Don't quite appreciate the value there.

As for those further up Bukit Timah like Vanda, Namly, or even Sian Tuan and Hua Guan. Already considered "far" from Orchard by some. But lots of Value here i think. Especially with the upcoming Downtown Line coming up, these landed properties will be close to an MRT station, but with no noise pollution cos everything is underground. Trust me, this stretch is gonna boom in the future. Very few landed estates can claim to be exclusive, yet be close to good schools and MRT all in the same breath. This is the only stretch i can see in the next 15 years. Already the condos there like Maplewoods and The Sterling are benefiting. This area is worth considering, esp since i gather from your other posts that you are looking around the price range of Meyer/ Jalan Seaview. Maybe we can be neighbours haha! Am already looking around this area for myself....

Cheers, hope this helps

DaytonaSS
11-07-11, 11:45
An interesting view point on value landed buys near the maplewoods area. It's true the jams should ease after the completion of the MRT and it has a more exclusive feel, perhaps due to the lush greenery, compared to the jalan seaview area.

The vanda area is too expensive (ie: around $1500psf) but but there is still value west of sixth ave. eg:hua guan area. Current prices of Hua guan should be similar to the jalan seaview area but the latter is in a superior location mostly due to to marina bay. Hua guan is really not that near to orchard and comparatively far from the financial district. So it's a case of exclusivity vs location.

If u like D10, i think areas around botantic garden is very nice. Orange did a very good sharing on d9-11. For reference read link below. Personally i like tanglin area , Grange and stretch to farrer for condo. Landed wise, nothing beats clunny hill to queen astrid park region. Landed around d10 near botantic garden is the best. Quiet,serene and damn good air quality.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=10455&page=7

devilplate
11-07-11, 11:51
If u like D10, i think areas around botantic garden is very nice. Orange did a very good sharing on d9-11. For reference read link below. Personally i like tanglin area , Grange and stretch to farrer for condo. Landed wise, nothing beats clunny hill to queen astrid park region. Landed around d10 near botantic garden is the best. Quiet,serene and damn good air quality.

landed near greenary will haf mozzie problems?

clemdale
11-07-11, 11:55
Thanks for the info, chho and bricksnmortar.

I wasn't familiar with the bukit timah area so I google-mapped it :P Are you sure Hua Guan is similar in price to Jalan Seaview? Because to me JS's location is way better than that of HG, which like you said is relatively far from the CBD. In terms of exclusivity - if u want exclusivity, why not look at somewhere like Seletar for it? :P why pay so much for HG? (Also, if someone could confirm jalan seaview's current price that would be awesome. My understanding is that it's somewhere between $1200-1500 psf currently.)

Bricksnmortar: Which area did you say you are currently looking at? Didn't quite get you in your post lol

Last question: Where does "Upper Bukit Timah" refer to? Sorry like i said im quite clueless about the BT area...

chho
11-07-11, 12:12
Haha. I agree with the seletar part. it's always location, location, location. The last transacted price for jln seaview was $1147 psf in Jan 2011, surprisingly quite similar to hua guan ave. Upper bukit timah refers to the cheng soon/toh tuck area for landed.

I wasn't familiar with the bukit timah area so I google-mapped it :P Are you sure Hua Guan is similar in price to Jalan Seaview? Because to me JS's location is way better than that of HG, which like you said is relatively far from the CBD. In terms of exclusivity - if u want exclusivity, why not look at somewhere like Seletar for it? :P why pay so much for HG? (Also, if someone could confirm jalan seaview's current price that would be awesome. My understanding is that it's somewhere between $1200-1500 psf currently.)

Bricksnmortar: Which area did you say you are currently looking at? Didn't quite get you in your post lol

Last question: Where does "Upper Bukit Timah" refer to? Sorry like i said im quite clueless about the BT area...

bricksnmortar
11-07-11, 12:22
Anytime bro.

I am looking around the Hua Guan area and the areas west of 6th Avenue. Price is around $1100-1300 for land alone, semi-D wise. So its comparable to your Jalan Seaview area.

Agreed its not as convenient as Jalan Seaview. You'll probably end up buying one there. But its all subjective. I like the greenery of Bukit Timah and the exclusivity. And its gonna be nearer the schools my children will be going to. I think if you are buying with schoolgoing children in mind, proximity to their schools is a real big plus point.

chho
11-07-11, 12:34
Wow Orange's article is extremely informative. Is he the ceo for orange-T???:D

The tanglin area is the best Singapore has to offer for landed housing. The only problem is that there are only GCBs within the tanglin precinct!

Cluny road in tanglin currently holds the record price transacted for GCBs (ie:> $2000psf). Queen Astrid park is further out in the Bukit Timah precinct. There are only 4 main Gcb zones in Tanglin precinct namely Nassim/whitehouse park/cluny road; Chatsworth/bishopsgate; pierce rd/swettenham rd; cluny hill/gallop park. Best of the best. Better start saving...:D

Feel free to offer your expert opinion orange. really appreciate your input.

devilplate
11-07-11, 13:14

The tanglin area is the best Singapore has to offer for landed housing. The only problem is that there are only GCBs within the tanglin precinct!

Cluny road in tanglin currently holds the record price transacted for GCBs (ie:> $2000psf). Queen Astrid park is further out in the Bukit Timah precinct. There are only 4 main Gcb zones in Tanglin precinct namely Nassim/whitehouse park/cluny road; Chatsworth/bishopsgate; pierce rd/swettenham rd; cluny hill/gallop park. Best of the best. Better start saving...:D

How to save up enuff for gcbs?:p

amk
11-07-11, 20:24
Bricksnmortar, university rd site not near RGPS/NYPS lah. SCGS only.
Duchess side not so expensive what ? Cheaper than university rd I think. Duchess side houses can really walk to Hwa Chong MRT in 5 mins, NTUC in 5 mins, very very convenient. Vry hard to have FH landed exclusive and yet near MRT.
For this stretch I prefer bt timah side, because can avoid the jam on bt timah rd itself, since u can get out from farrer. Also the MRT entrance is at this side I think.

DaytonaSS
11-07-11, 21:19

been doing some driving around these area recently. Its out of the world, doesnt feel like Singapore. Tucked in lush greenery, senerity, great air quality, minimum traffice flow, yet 10 mins from all the hype and glam of " NEW ORCHARD ROAD".

There is no way to save up for these houses.

chho
11-07-11, 21:51
Of course there is no way to save up for tanglin GCBs. I was just day dreaming.:rolleyes:

I just drove around the area last weekend too. Do you know that the Tanglin area and a some parts of mountbatten road are the only places in Singapore where you can find the iconic Conservation Black and White houses? They are mostly built as residences or barracks for the british in the early 1900s in the midst of mature huge trees. The ones off ridley park road are awesome! Don't think they are even for sale though. Government-linked property companies own most of them, I think.

been doing some driving around these area recently. Its out of the world, doesnt feel like Singapore. Tucked in lush greenery, senerity, great air quality, minimum traffice flow, yet 10 mins from all the hype and glam of " NEW ORCHARD ROAD".

There is no way to save up for these houses.

chho
11-07-11, 22:09
The University road area is within 2 km of RGPS/NYPS. Duchess definitely cheaper than university, for a very good reason. It's true you can cut through Farrer road to get to Duchess but the prestige primary school there totally ruins the residential ambience of the area. The number of cars driven by Kiasu parents with screaming kids during certain times of the day are enough to turn off the most enthusiastic bukit timah house hunters.:scared-1:

Duchess side not so expensive what ? Cheaper than university rd I think. Duchess side houses can really walk to Hwa Chong MRT in 5 mins, NTUC in 5 mins, very very convenient. Vry hard to have FH landed exclusive and yet near MRT.
For this stretch I prefer bt timah side, because can avoid the jam on bt timah rd itself, since u can get out from farrer. Also the MRT entrance is at this side I think.

doraemon1
11-07-11, 22:37
I am looking at D13 near the Potong Pasir mrt, 5 mins walk to mrt landed property. It's more affordable as some of them the quantum is not so huge as land size is not too big but freehold and near to mrt, city fringe, preferably corner terrace as the lighting is better compared to inter-terrace. St Andrew's village is just across the road. PAP has taken over this district so hopefully to see some positive changes in the Bidadari Park area soon.

clemdale
11-07-11, 23:19
I'm glad to see much discussion on Bukit Timah.. but any opinions on other districts - 15, 19 etc? How about novena (not sure what district - is it 11?)

I'm not familiar with D13 (Potong Pasir) at all, apart knowing that its quite near the city haha.. hmm

I am looking at D13 near the Potong Pasir mrt, 5 mins walk to mrt landed property. It's more affordable as some of them the quantum is not so huge as land size is not too big but freehold and near to mrt, city fringe, preferably corner terrace as the lighting is better compared to inter-terrace. St Andrew's village is just across the road. PAP has taken over this district so hopefully to see some positive changes in the Bidadari Park area soon.

bricksnmortar
11-07-11, 23:46
Bro,

You are right that Duchess side is closer to MRT and more convenient. But also feels a lot more "crowded" and busy than the University Road side. University Road a lot more lush and exclusive feeling. Not so many commercial buildings/ schools/ condos as Duchess side.

Farrer Road is also very busy i feel. But yes, good to have many entrances and exit points. But when the new D-Leedon condo comes up and towers over everyone at 30+ storeys, i think that area will feel even less private.

DaytonaSS
12-07-11, 00:28
Bro,

You are right that Duchess side is closer to MRT and more convenient. But also feels a lot more "crowded" and busy than the University Road side. University Road a lot more lush and exclusive feeling. Not so many commercial buildings/ schools/ condos as Duchess side.

Farrer Road is also very busy i feel. But yes, good to have many entrances and exit points. But when the new D-Leedon condo comes up and towers over everyone at 30+ storeys, i think that area will feel even less private.

with a few en bloc development happening in the area, n a MRT opening up soon there, the area definatly is seeing alot of action. Got a strong feeling Tulip Garden will go thru after they reduce their asking price. Its a reasonable price at good location.

D leedon n Leedon Heights new launch will tower the area definitely, its is also bring higher selling price to the area i have observed.

DC33_2008
12-07-11, 08:55
This is a good area. Do not get any houses along Wan Tho ave and closer to Cedar. You will be woken up by the traffic in the early morning.

jesico
12-07-11, 10:24
interestingly the prices there have not gone up that much yet, any idea why? thanks!

SGP
12-07-11, 10:56
This is a good area. Do not get any houses along Wan Tho ave and closer to Cedar. You will be woken up by the traffic in the early morning.

How is this area for landed compared to D23 - Cashew or Hazel Park terraces?

Thanks!

DC33_2008
12-07-11, 11:09
This is nearer to city. There is great potential of growth in the nearby park. I will bet on this one.
How is this area for landed compared to D23 - Cashew or Hazel Park terraces?

Thanks!

chho
12-07-11, 11:14
Novena square is in D12 but the IRAS office across the road is in D11. So the closest landed estate there is the gentle road mixed landed estate which consist of mostly semi-ds and terraces. If you go further north you will find the chancery road landed area, where there is a law suit going on between some psychiatrist's relatives and his mistress over a $7m semi-d, which is more lush, less congested the more residential.

Not that familiar with landed in D19 but serangoon gardens is where you can find Chomp Chomp, all the major banks and facilities. It is the focal point of the area so you want to stay near but not too near to the focal point, I guess. It is a nice little enclave with the "village" feel with nice people but getting in and out of the place via CTE is quite a nightmare during busy hours especially. Think the landed properties in the good parts of Serangoon gardens go for slightly more than $1000psf brand new. Quite expensive. Might as well aim for an old house in bukit timah.

I'm glad to see much discussion on Bukit Timah.. but any opinions on other districts - 15, 19 etc? How about novena (not sure what district - is it 11?)

I'm not familiar with D13 (Potong Pasir) at all, apart knowing that its quite near the city haha.. hmm

DC33_2008
12-07-11, 11:26
Unfortunately, it is getting crowded near Chomp Chomp area with the increasing traffic volume. See the article in the Strait Times on traffic pollutant on health by a NUS study.
Novena square is in D12 but the IRAS office across the road is in D11. So the closest landed estate there is the gentle road mixed landed estate which consist of mostly semi-ds and terraces. If you go further north you will find the chancery road landed area, where there is a law suit going on between some psychiatrist's relatives and his mistress over a $7m semi-d, which is more lush, less congested the more residential.

Not that familiar with landed in D19 but serangoon gardens is where you can find Chomp Chomp, all the major banks and facilities. It is the focal point of the area so you want to stay near but not too near to the focal point, I guess. It is a nice little enclave with the "village" feel with nice people but getting in and out of the place via CTE is quite a nightmare during busy hours especially. Think the landed properties in the good parts of Serangoon gardens go for slightly more than $1000psf brand new. Quite expensive. Might as well aim for an old house in bukit timah.

clemdale
12-07-11, 11:33

Ahh yes I just google mapped it. The area is very nice, both Gentle Rd and Chancery Rd. Btw I think the $7m house is a detached, not semi-d, from what I can tell on google map.. haha. How do the prices (in terms of psf) of this Novena area compare to that of D15 Meyer Rd/Jalan Seaview? I'm trying to compare and contrast and weigh up all my options.

As for serangoon gardens (D19) my understanding is that it's slightly cheaper than JS? Its a nice area too, though a little further away from the city compared to novena and jalan seaview.

Duku
12-07-11, 12:24
Ahh yes I just google mapped it. The area is very nice, both Gentle Rd and Chancery Rd. Btw I think the $7m house is a detached, not semi-d, from what I can tell on google map.. haha. How do the prices (in terms of psf) of this Novena area compare to that of D15 Meyer Rd/Jalan Seaview? I'm trying to compare and contrast and weigh up all my options.

As for serangoon gardens (D19) my understanding is that it's slightly cheaper than JS? Its a nice area too, though a little further away from the city compared to novena and jalan seaview.
Ura website is always a good starting point to compare prices and moniter movement
http://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateWeb/realEstate/pageflow/transaction/TransactionController.jpf

Duku
12-07-11, 12:28
Interestingly the price on psf is about 1500 to 1800 in D11
Whereas the ave price for D 15 is now a ' standard' 1000 psf (mainly for older landed proeprty that needs renovation)
Also note the number of transactions. There are at least 4 times more transaction in D 15 than D 11 in June. That tells you where you can find 'supply' in landed properties

chho
12-07-11, 14:31
The chancery area will be more expensive than Jln seaview. One is close to Orchard road, the other Marina Bay. Quite subjective but i think Jln seaview is a good safe entry point for a semi-d in a prime location. It has more infrastructure development near it than the former. With the up and coming MRT and the progressive building up of Marina Bay, there will be sustainable support for the value of the property. Serangoon gardens in the suburbs is comparatively over priced, perhaps due to strong "local area demand".

Btw just did some check. The $7m house is at 5 chancery hill. It's a huge semi-d...

chho
12-07-11, 14:38
$1500 to $1800 is the prices recorded for the best part of D11. In an apple to apple comparison, D15 (goodman/wilkinson/broadrick) area is transacting at about 10% to 15% lower.

Interestingly the price on psf is about 1500 to 1800 in D11
Whereas the ave price for D 15 is now a ' standard' 1000 psf (mainly for older landed proeprty that needs renovation)
Also note the number of transactions. There are at least 4 times more transaction in D 15 than D 11 in June. That tells you where you can find 'supply' in landed properties

doraemon1
12-07-11, 21:55
This is nearer to city. There is great potential of growth in the nearby park. I will bet on this one.

Hi DC33_2008,

Thanks for sharing my sentiment on D13, Senett Estate.Could you share with me why you would bet on this one then? you may pm me if you wish to. Thanks!!

I too think there is future great potential in the plot of land (Bidadari Park meaning fairy/nymph park). I think new roads would be paved to ease traffic, commercial and residential buildings be built. This place is very accessible via PIE connected to KPE and CTE, also near city. The Woodleigh and Potong Pasir stations are so close which means the government has planned for this place to be densely populated in future. The Stamford American School will open in 2012 near Woodleigh mrt. PAP has taken over in recent election so believe they would do something positive in this district. Friends who stay in D19, Kovan and have children studying in Bukit Timah would say how they wish they can stay at least in Potong Pasir as in the morning it greatly cut down their travel time. Though in SG, in the morning, traffic is slow in many roads. Some units in Senett Estate are smaller so quantum is more digestible. Many people overlook this place as it is formerly under Worker's Party. These are my views. D19, Kovan where I stay, not to talk about Serangoon Gardens is getting crowded with Kovan Residences TOP, many boutique condos, cluster housing popping up here and there. Developers buy land and rebuild into many smaller units or buy a semi-D land then use that land to rebuild into 2 semi-Ds to sell here.

DC33_2008
12-07-11, 22:11
You have said it all. Let's see the Concept Plan 2011 that is coming out at the end of the year. The former mount vernon crematorium should be demolished and there will be more land available for residential, commercial and recreational buildings. Imagine with FH landed properties near mainly LH99 properties and new infrastructure. Looking forward to these releases.
Hi DC33_2008,

Thanks for sharing my sentiment on D13, Senett Estate.Could you share with me why you would bet on this one then? you may pm me if you wish to. Thanks!!

I too think there is future great potential in the plot of land (Bidadari Park meaning fairy/nymph park). I think new roads would be paved to ease traffic, commercial and residential buildings be built. This place is very accessible via PIE connected to KPE and CTE, also near city. The Woodleigh and Potong Pasir stations are so close which means the government has planned for this place to be densely populated in future. The Stamford American School will open in 2012 near Woodleigh mrt. PAP has taken over in recent election so believe they would do something positive in this district. Friends who stay in D19, Kovan and have children studying in Bukit Timah would say how they wish they can stay at least in Potong Pasir as in the morning it greatly cut down their travel time. Though in SG, in the morning, traffic is slow in many roads. Some units in Senett Estate are smaller so quantum is more digestible. Many people overlook this place as it is formerly under Worker's Party. These are my views. D19, Kovan where I stay, not to talk about Serangoon Gardens is getting crowded with Kovan Residences TOP, many boutique condos, cluster housing popping up here and there. Developers buy land and rebuild into many smaller units or buy a semi-D land then use that land to rebuild into 2 semi-Ds to sell here.

amk
12-07-11, 22:46
Bro,

Yes I know, that's why duchess area is cheaper. It's all a compromise if you are not rich enough to get a GCB. For the price you pay, duchess area is a good deal. So close to MRT and market, and yet no road noise. cars for the schools are mostly crowded at king's road and coronation road end, and u can totally bypass them via other roads. Dleedon is a concern, but when I went up that observing tower, the duchess area is pretty far. Those huge houses in Victoria / kingsmead are in fact more affected. Seriously for anyone looking at landed along bt timah stretch, I urge u to take a closer look at this part.

Fisherman
12-07-11, 22:55
Yes I know, that's why duchess area is cheaper. It's all a compromise if you are not rich enough to get a GCB. For the price you pay, duchess area is a good deal. So close to MRT and market, and yet no road noise. cars for the schools are mostly crowded at king's road and coronation road end, and u can totally bypass them via other roads. Dleedon is a concern, but when I went up that observing tower, the duchess area is pretty far. Those huge houses in Victoria / kingsmead are in fact more affected. Seriously for anyone looking at landed along bt timah stretch, I urge u to take a closer look at this part.

How about the Binjai Park area? What do you folks thoughts/opinion on the potential here though I realise its a bit further up?

jesico
12-07-11, 23:29
Hi doraemon1 and DC33_2008,
Sorry may I know where exactly is the Bidadari Park actually? I can't see it on google map...

wind30
12-07-11, 23:47

I work near there. The location there is good but the north east line which potong pasir is on is not very useful and you usually require to change line to go anywhere.

Frankly the traffic there now is REALLY bad. hopefully it will be better when road works complete. Still I think it will be bad as it is at the junction of CTE and PIE and those slip roads tend to jam sometimes.

Some of the units look REALLY rundown and looks like foreign workers hostels...

chho
13-07-11, 00:04
The only potential would be the up and coming downtown MRT which should lead to some easing of jams. Nice leafy neighborhood though and Jet Li stays in one of the GCBs near the end of Binjai Park. But it is at the tail end of bukit timah and pricing is about $1300psf for 5-6 year-old semi-ds, not much lower than other bukit timah landed properties nearer to town.

How about the Binjai Park area? What do you folks thoughts/opinion on the potential here though I realise its a bit further up?

DC33_2008
13-07-11, 08:19
Did you see those landed property not immediate to the station? They are rather big semi-Ds. It is in those rundown unit that you can find gems as you have to polish them.
I work near there. The location there is good but the north east line which potong pasir is on is not very useful and you usually require to change line to go anywhere.

Frankly the traffic there now is REALLY bad. hopefully it will be better when road works complete. Still I think it will be bad as it is at the junction of CTE and PIE and those slip roads tend to jam sometimes.

Some of the units look REALLY rundown and looks like foreign workers hostels...

DC33_2008
13-07-11, 08:20
Opp the salvation army along upper serangoon road.
Hi doraemon1 and DC33_2008,
Sorry may I know where exactly is the Bidadari Park actually? I can't see it on google map...

jesico
13-07-11, 09:10
got it thanks! so basically woodleigh mrt side...

proper-t
13-07-11, 09:47

Prone to flooding. Even if the houses itself may not get the flood, you may be marooned in your houses due to flood waters along the main road.

Quote from a report in June 2011

Drivers were advised to avoid these roads.

In a statement at 12.15pm, PUB said the flash floods reported earlier along Bukit Timah Road (the stretch from Blackmore Road to Maplewood Road) and Dunearn Road (from Rifle Range Road to Yarwood Road) as well as at Orchard Road (Cuscaden Road - at the Tanglin/Tomlinson Road junction and Tanglin/Napir Road junction) had subsided.

These roads are now passable to traffic.

In Bukit Timah, the management committee of Tessarina condominium told MediaCorp that residents were alerted by a siren on Sunday morning when the Bukit Timah canal burst its banks.

Many drove their cars out of the basement to higher grounds. The flood barrier at the condominium was also activated as a preventive measure.

The condominium was one of the places badly affected by previous floods.

doraemon1
13-07-11, 15:37
DC33_2008: We really think alike. I am looking forward to the Concept Plan 2011. I agree with you those semi-Ds that you mention but the quantum likely out of my reach due to larger land size. Terrace houses there are already going for $1.7 to $1.8m, about $1200 psf. Also I prefer those less than 500m walking distance to mrt.

Wind30: That's why have to "predict" the future as by the time the new infrastructure is in place, landed property prices there would have shot up till out of my reach again. Also, landed property owners there tend to hold on to their properties for long so not many out for sale in the market. If can grab one without needing for huge renovation and one likes, is really not easy to start with.

land118
13-07-11, 15:46
DC33_2008: We really think alike. I am looking forward to the Concept Plan 2011. I agree with you those semi-Ds that you mention but the quantum likely out of my reach due to larger land size. Terrace houses there are already going for $1.7 to $1.8m, about $1200 psf. Also I prefer those less than 500m walking distance to mrt.

Wind30: That's why have to "predict" the future as by the time the new infrastructure is in place, landed property prices there would have shot up till out of my reach again. Also, landed property owners there tend to hold on to their properties for long so not many out for sale in the market. If can grab one without needing for huge renovation and one likes, is really not easy to start with.

Doraemon1, sometimes just go with gut feeling, esp. if it's for your own stay. If you ask too many people, all have their own idea and preference which may confused you. Just have a price in mind and go for it. Especially, even if market crashed tomorrow, doesn't really matter since it is a roof over your head...

Personally, I do feel that there is potential in the area you are looking at. Just need some time for area to develop and all the road works to be completed..and am sure with PAP in power, drainage, etc will be upgraded soon.

Hidden Gems are found when no1 want them, sit on it long enough, they may become bright, by then every1 want a piece, then no more hidden gem.., herd instinct takeover...

This is my opinion, you may beg to differ.

doraemon1
13-07-11, 20:22
Doraemon1, sometimes just go with gut feeling, esp. if it's for your own stay. If you ask too many people, all have their own idea and preference which may confused you. Just have a price in mind and go for it. Especially, even if market crashed tomorrow, doesn't really matter since it is a roof over your head...

Personally, I do feel that there is potential in the area you are looking at. Just need some time for area to develop and all the road works to be completed..and am sure with PAP in power, drainage, etc will be upgraded soon.

Hidden Gems are found when no1 want them, sit on it long enough, they may become bright, by then every1 want a piece, then no more hidden gem.., herd instinct takeover...

This is my opinion, you may beg to differ.

Hi Land118,

I totally agree with you. I confirm be buying one there :-) I like the feeling Bidadari Park gives me. Thanks for your view :-)

jesico
13-07-11, 20:38
Hi guys,

i agree with u, do u think there will be spillover effect to macpherson garden estate which is down the road?

land118
13-07-11, 21:02
Hi Land118,

I totally agree with you. I confirm be buying one there :-) I like the feeling Bidadari Park gives me. Thanks for your view :-)
U may want to read the thread on 8@woodleigh condo, many forumers have posted about the surrounding area. Forumer like Sleek is actively monitoring the progress of this condo by going to the opposite Bidadari cemetery or the overhead bridge to take pictures.

U may also read what I posted..

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showpost.php?p=135092&postcount=1188

Not vested yet but think this area may have much potential. Good luck to your house hunting!

DC33_2008
13-07-11, 22:35
Price in this area has already gone up quite a bit. Landed terrace there is averaging at about $1200psf.
Hi guys,

i agree with u, do u think there will be spillover effect to macpherson garden estate which is down the road?

wind30
14-07-11, 07:44
Did you see those landed property not immediate to the station? They are rather big semi-Ds. It is in those rundown unit that you can find gems as you have to polish them.

I work there so I know the traffic every well.

Although it is pretty close to the city, it still takes quite a lot of time to get somewhere.

You will know if you drive there everyday.

1) although the KPE entrace is just nearby, you CANNOT get onto it from Macpherson or Serangoon Road. Really stupid.

2) Bendemeer Road towards city takes really long because of all the traffic lights and illegal parking.

3) So you are stuck with CTE. You join CTE at the PIE/CTE junction which could be a problem since it is such a busy junction.

I can tell you after the widen the CTE from bukit timah onwards to YCK, the CTE jam will start from Bukit Timah as that is the new bottleneck.

So basically you get all the cars traffic and pollution but not much convenience. Don't bank too much on the roadworks to improve the traffic. Those roads just have too much cars. In fact once the roadworks completes, the traffic volume may just increase somemore....

If I were to buy, I would buy further up maybe nearer Tai Seng. I used to work at TaiSeng and I can tell you for a FACT that it is faster to get to city at Taiseng than at Kallang. Because the KPE entrance is right there, I pop in KPE, and pop out at nicole highway. The houses there are probably cheaper?

DC33_2008
14-07-11, 09:00
You can take the other way along aljunied road and toward nicoll highway in the morning. It is really fast.
I work there so I know the traffic every well.

Although it is pretty close to the city, it still takes quite a lot of time to get somewhere.

You will know if you drive there everyday.

1) although the KPE entrace is just nearby, you CANNOT get onto it from Macpherson or Serangoon Road. Really stupid.

2) Bendemeer Road towards city takes really long because of all the traffic lights and illegal parking.

3) So you are stuck with CTE. You join CTE at the PIE/CTE junction which could be a problem since it is such a busy junction.

I can tell you after the widen the CTE from bukit timah onwards to YCK, the CTE jam will start from Bukit Timah as that is the new bottleneck.

So basically you get all the cars traffic and pollution but not much convenience. Don't bank too much on the roadworks to improve the traffic. Those roads just have too much cars. In fact once the roadworks completes, the traffic volume may just increase somemore....

If I were to buy, I would buy further up maybe nearer Tai Seng. I used to work at TaiSeng and I can tell you for a FACT that it is faster to get to city at Taiseng than at Kallang. Because the KPE entrance is right there, I pop in KPE, and pop out at nicole highway. The houses there are probably cheaper?

mkl22
14-07-11, 11:30
Price in this area has already gone up quite a bit. Landed terrace there is averaging at about $1200psf.

except for landed in CCR. landed in all other areas tend to be able the same psf now. if you compare upper east coast, sennet and seletar areas, the asking prices in psf are not too different. quite tough to find any bargains in landed now. if its cheap, it will be super old and run down, then you likely have to tear down and rebuild as AA is not really worth it.

I just passed by Lengkok Angsa (paterson rd) yesterday and saw 2 terrace houses still standing when the rest have already been enbloced. i guess if i was in their shoes, i also will not sell.

DC33_2008
14-07-11, 12:41
Wait for downturn and buy the old ones to rebuild as the URA rules on A&A and reconstruction are much more flexible. Smaller developers are doing this and I am skeptical about the quality of the finished products.
except for landed in CCR. landed in all other areas tend to be able the same psf now. if you compare upper east coast, sennet and seletar areas, the asking prices in psf are not too different. quite tough to find any bargains in landed now. if its cheap, it will be super old and run down, then you likely have to tear down and rebuild as AA is not really worth it.

I just passed by Lengkok Angsa (paterson rd) yesterday and saw 2 terrace houses still standing when the rest have already been enbloced. i guess if i was in their shoes, i also will not sell.

proud owner
14-07-11, 12:57

i wouldnt buy

surrounded by condos ..

landed is supposed to have more privacy ... those 2 lack that completely

chho
14-07-11, 16:00
That's the main problem with most of the CCR landed properties (ie: one tree hill, behind Lucky Plaza and Oxley): surrounded by condos with not enough green cover. When you see all the narrow streets jam packed with illegal parking, they almost feel like a "compromise" compared to the shiny, towering super high-end condos all around.

i wouldnt buy

surrounded by condos ..

landed is supposed to have more privacy ... those 2 lack that completely

amk
14-07-11, 16:42
... the main problem with most of the CCR landed properties (ie: one tree hill, behind Lucky Plaza and Oxley)
aiyo "most of the CCR landed properties" are not there lah ! majority of the landed are along bt timah

wind30
14-07-11, 16:44
You can take the other way along aljunied road and toward nicoll highway in the morning. It is really fast.

It is not fast lah. That is the way I take if I want to go suntec. If you start at macpherson, there are a lot of traffic lights before you reach nicole highway.

DC33_2008
14-07-11, 16:59
That is if you stop at everywhere traffic lights. There are only 3 Cross-junctions and 2 T-junctions. Can make it to Shenton way less than 12 minutes.
It is not fast lah. That is the way I take if I want to go suntec. If you start at macpherson, there are a lot of traffic lights before you reach nicole highway.

doraemon1
14-07-11, 17:53
Hi Wind30,

You may consider Tai Seng area too but the land area is bigger there so quantum is not within my budget and not as near to mrt. For example, in Bunga Rampai which is in between Tai seng and Bartley mrt, the walk from Bartley mrt to the house is very noisy as the walk is near the highway. not sure about the walk to Tai Seng mrt though as that day I was walking from Bartley mrt there. So try to look for one where the walk to mrt is pleasant but of course if you dun need to use mrt then this point is not critical. There is one ad for a house in Bunga Rampai Place today! However, there maybe other place there which is nearer to mrt which I am not aware. I prefer near mrt as when my children are in primary schools, they might have to do school projects so if they and their friends can come to the house on their own, it would be easier for me than to chauffer them in and out.

I like Bidadari Park and also from where I stay now in D19 is convenient to drive to Potong Pasir mrt so buying a corner terrace there.

wind30
14-07-11, 20:12
That is if you stop at everywhere traffic lights. There are only 3 Cross-junctions and 2 T-junctions. Can make it to Shenton way less than 12 minutes.

??? I am sure you missed out a few traffic lights. There is already SIX traffic lights on Aljunied road. There is nothing to argue lah.

If I zoom past every lights, no traffic I can reach orchard road from my place in YCK in 12-15 minutes :)

I agree if the lights are in your favour, it is fast to reach city from there. But there is ONE junction which usually you will get stuck in Aljunied road. It is a three lane road and middle and right lanes are BOTH turning lanes. So you end up with single lane....

DC33_2008
14-07-11, 21:08
Get a D1 unit and just walk out.
??? I am sure you missed out a few traffic lights. There is already SIX traffic lights on Aljunied road. There is nothing to argue lah.

If I zoom past every lights, no traffic I can reach orchard road from my place in YCK in 12-15 minutes :)

I agree if the lights are in your favour, it is fast to reach city from there. But there is ONE junction which usually you will get stuck in Aljunied road. It is a three lane road and middle and right lanes are BOTH turning lanes. So you end up with single lane....

doraemon1
14-07-11, 21:47
Aiyo, dun argue pls, we just buy where we like so cannot blame anyone if anything happen :-) we are here to have friendly discussion.

chho
14-07-11, 23:05
Bukit Timah is not in the Core Central Region (CCR). Although yes, there is a large supply of landed property there.:)

aiyo "most of the CCR landed properties" are not there lah ! majority of the landed are along bt timah

amk
15-07-11, 11:00
Bukit Timah is not in the Core Central Region (CCR).

huh ?? we talked so much about university road, kheam hock, duchess, victoria park , kingsmead, etc, they are all in CCR.

chho
15-07-11, 13:59
University/Kheam hock area is in Novena precinct. Duchess/victoria park/kingsmead area is in Bukit timah precinct. They are both inside central region, outside of CCR. There is very little landed stock in Core Central Region and they are mostly surrounded by super high-end condos. That is why I was suggesting that the best landed housing stock is probably just outside CCR. (ie: Tanglin, Novena, bukit timah, Marine parade, etc)

You just have to refer to the master plan on the URA website.

huh ?? we talked so much about university road, kheam hock, duchess, victoria park , kingsmead, etc, they are all in CCR.

amk
15-07-11, 14:10
u r wrong.

The followings are the official definitions from URA: (http://spring.ura.gov.sg/lad/ore/login/glossary.cfm?no=1)

Central Region: Central Region comprises the following 22 Planning Areas : Downtown Core, Orchard, Marina East, Marina South, Museum, Newton, Outram, River Valley, Rochor, Singapore River, Straits View, Bishan, Bukit Merah, Bukit Timah, Geylang, Kallang, Marine Parade, Novena, Queenstown, Southern Islands, Tanglin and Toa Payoh. See map of Central Region (http://www.ura.gov.sg/ppd/mp2003/index.jsp?content=central&region=central).
Core Central Region: It comprises postal districts 9,10, 11, Downtown Core and Sentosa. See map of Core Central Region (http://spring.ura.gov.sg/lad/ore/login/map_ccr.pdf).

(note: sentosa and marina bay were only added recently)

chho
15-07-11, 14:16
U r right AMK! We learn something new everyday.:)

u r wrong.

The followings are the official definitions from URA: (http://spring.ura.gov.sg/lad/ore/login/glossary.cfm?no=1)

Central Region: Central Region comprises the following 22 Planning Areas : Downtown Core, Orchard, Marina East, Marina South, Museum, Newton, Outram, River Valley, Rochor, Singapore River, Straits View, Bishan, Bukit Merah, Bukit Timah, Geylang, Kallang, Marine Parade, Novena, Queenstown, Southern Islands, Tanglin and Toa Payoh. See map of Central Region (http://www.ura.gov.sg/ppd/mp2003/index.jsp?content=central&region=central).
Core Central Region: It comprises postal districts 9,10, 11, Downtown Core and Sentosa. See map of Core Central Region (http://spring.ura.gov.sg/lad/ore/login/map_ccr.pdf).

(note: sentosa and marina bay were only added recently)

Santro
16-07-11, 12:32
A very interesting discussion topic. All, keep up the good work.:)

The landed around Botanical garden looks pretty good. Any idea if there got flooding or mozzie/snake concerns due to proximity to the garden.

Hi Clemdale,

Cheers, hope this helps

ysyap
18-07-11, 08:22

The landed around Botanical garden looks pretty good. Any idea if there got flooding or mozzie/snake concerns due to proximity to the garden.The GCB area at Ridout is quite nice and serene but the road leading in is quite tight and narrow. The mozzie team usually comes to fog that area so should be ok lah!

clemdale
18-07-11, 09:38
Quite nice and serene? haha.. GCBs.. sigh I really wonder what it's like to own and live in one of those. What exactly does it take to buy one? Surely its more than just "having a job".. it takes a business empire to be able to afford one!

The GCB area at Ridout is quite nice and serene but the road leading in is quite tight and narrow. The mozzie team usually comes to fog that area so should be ok lah!

proud owner
18-07-11, 10:10
Quite nice and serene? haha.. GCBs.. sigh I really wonder what it's like to own and live in one of those. What exactly does it take to buy one? Surely its more than just "having a job".. it takes a business empire to be able to afford one!

and the kind of business too

if you are a butcher .. owning 10 stalls in various wet markets ..

i doubt you will be able to find a seller ... regardless how mych money you have ...

Santro
18-07-11, 10:42
I cant even go near a GCB lah:scared-4: ... hahaha..Looking for Semi-D or terrace only.

The GCB area at Ridout is quite nice and serene but the road leading in is quite tight and narrow. The mozzie team usually comes to fog that area so should be ok lah!

chho
18-07-11, 10:48
There is always somebody who is selling. I am just curious who is buying. The one transacted at all time high at $2037psf in cluny road a few months back was bought by a Chinese turned Singaporean/PR. The last transaction in June 2011 is 62 Dalvey road, transacted at $34m or $1688psf for a piece of land with an old house. Probably another immigrant citizen because no Singaporean tycoon will pay that kind of crazy price even if they can afford it. If you do a quick calculation, you need to put $13.6m down (40%) and borrow $20.4m (60%), which means your monthly mortgage payment is more than $80,000 every month, even at today's interest rates, before you even think about rebuilding the house! And the funny thing is, most of them pay cash!!!

and the kind of business too

if you are a butcher .. owning 10 stalls in various wet markets ..

i doubt you will be able to find a seller ... regardless how mych money you have ...

chho
18-07-11, 10:59
There are some nice terraces/semi-ds on Jalan Harom Setangkai right beside the gardens near the up and coming MRT interchange that are going for about $5-6m a piece. Have never heard of flooding but you always get mozzies and even snakes in landed from time to time. Just practice good house keeping and fog it every now and then.

The landed around Botanical garden looks pretty good. Any idea if there got flooding or mozzie/snake concerns due to proximity to the garden.

Santro
18-07-11, 12:17
Thanks Chho. Are these freehold or 99 year. Was searching and noticed that some of the landed near university road are 99 years.

There are some nice terraces/semi-ds on Jalan Harom Setangkai right beside the gardens near the up and coming MRT interchange that are going for about $5-6m a piece. Have never heard of flooding but you always get mozzies and even snakes in landed from time to time. Just practice good house keeping and fog it every now and then.

chho
18-07-11, 12:24
Freehold. Stay away from 99 yr leasehold landed properties. Buy older, smaller or even further to have long-term peace of mind.:)

Thanks Chho. Are these freehold or 99 year. Was searching and noticed that some of the landed near university road are 99 years.

Santro
18-07-11, 21:32
haha.. Got it!! Looks like no property available for sale now. Will keep looking.

Freehold. Stay away from 99 yr leasehold landed properties. Buy older, smaller or even further to have long-term peace of mind.:)