PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay for good design? Or more built up area?

bricksnmortar
09-07-11, 23:46
Hey guys,

If price is the same, would you pay for a house with better design but smaller built up? Or would you go for the bigger house? Presuming location of house and quality of build all same....

chho
11-07-11, 02:32
The size of the house should be proportionate to the size of land for it to look good. It must be balanced. Those monstrous houses on tiny land are frankly, bad taste. It reminds me of a friend who told me his aim is to get a large Bentley with a 1 litre KIA engine. What about the lousy drive???:doh:

Hey guys,

If price is the same, would you pay for a house with better design but smaller built up? Or would you go for the bigger house? Presuming location of house and quality of build all same....

bricksnmortar
11-07-11, 09:26
Haha my sentiments exactly!

Anyways, good design stands the test of time. Its the Singapore mentality to want to get the most bang for the buck, and in measurable terms. But there is also plenty of value in art and great design, subjective though it may be.

doraemon1
24-07-11, 14:00
For me, I would prefer the house with better design and smaller-built up. Imagine if I live in it and everyday I see the design and if I don't like it, I won't feel comfortable and peace of mind. Well, that's me...it's very personal. :cheers6:

kingkong1984
24-07-11, 19:52
Give u extra big balcony and useless pes, then make ur rooms small like store rooms... U want? Get real and be functional.

proper-t
24-07-11, 23:34
Give me a well designed house anyday. Excessive built-up and superhigh ceilings also means much higher utility bills.

Duku
25-07-11, 10:15
Give u extra big balcony and useless pes, then make ur rooms small like store rooms... U want? Get real and be functional.

Agreed
how many actually use the roof terrace of their houses in Sunny Singapore or even at night? It is usually the biggest space in the house yet 90% of the time it is not used at all.

devilplate
25-07-11, 10:19
Agreed
how many actually use the roof terrace of their houses in Sunny Singapore or even at night? It is usually the biggest space in the house yet 90% of the time it is not used at all.
Upp level Roof terrace quite useless...but patio n back yard quite useful:D

Eldenfirefly
25-07-11, 10:56
Actually, get so big a built up for what? Nowadays Singapore family quite small, cos birth rate so low. So unless your parents or inlaws are staying with you, otherwise, you also won't use so much built in space.

I think a good landed needs to have a good proportion of outside space and inside built up space. Part of the charm of having a landed property is that you have your own backyard and garden (not that I am much of a garden person).

But if you have a landed property and you then built up this monstrous 4 storey apartment on it, then why not just buy an apartment or condo to begin with? lol. If want more space, buy two condo units side by side, then open up one door between. You will have all the condo facilities plus all the built in space you want.

Buy landed must appreciate what you want to do on it mah. If you don't plan to use your "land", then might as well buy a condo... :)

hopeful
25-07-11, 12:02
But if you have a landed property and you then built up this monstrous 4 storey apartment on it, then why not just buy an apartment or condo to begin with? lol. If want more space, buy two condo units side by side, then open up one door between. You will have all the condo facilities plus all the built in space you want. ........

landed property, the land is 100% yours.
I dont think Singaporeans knows the value of land. Landed property should be much more expensive than it is now.
Without land, cannot do much of anything.

teddybear
25-07-11, 12:57
But landed property too expensive for most citizens to buy, and those who can afford many now prefer condos (more hassle free & cooler & have facilities for own stay, while for investment rental yield much higher). Foreigners who can afford not allowed to buy. So for sure upside limited, more meant for own-stay only as few would ever think of buying landed for investment (unless they don't know how to count). :beats-me-man:

landed property, the land is 100% yours.
I dont think Singaporeans knows the value of land. Landed property should be much more expensive than it is now.
Without land, cannot do much of anything.

kingkong1984
25-07-11, 13:15
Landed, lower rental yield but higher cap appreciation.

Condo, higher rental yield but lower cap appreciation.

The world is fair right?

Just like cars, why buy Ferrari when a Nissan can do the same except in looks. Appearances can kill u.

land118
25-07-11, 13:30
Upp level Roof terrace quite useless...but patio n back yard quite useful:D Good observation. Nowadays, newly developed landed, builders all max up build-in and go for max. allowable height, some even have basement. Roof terrace are quite common, while some don't even have garden, just some planters at the side, max the space for parking 2-3 cars. Roof terrace are good for entertaining friends but one of least used space.

I know of a friend who moved from condo to landed with roof terrace because he has a hobby of stars gazing using his large telescope...

25-07-11, 13:30
But if you have a landed property and you then built up this monstrous 4 storey apartment on it, then why not just buy an apartment or condo to begin with? lol. If want more space, buy two condo units side by side, then open up one door between. You will have all the condo facilities plus all the built in space you want.

I tink not so much of a space issue but more of a prestige issue. stay in landed more prestigeous and exclusive, regardless of no of pple pooling money together.

Duku
25-07-11, 13:57
But landed property too expensive for most citizens to buy, and those who can afford many now prefer condos (more hassle free & cooler & have facilities for own stay, while for investment rental yield much higher). Foreigners who can afford not allowed to buy. So for sure upside limited, more meant for own-stay only as few would ever think of buying landed for investment (unless they don't know how to count). :beats-me-man:

There are more high net worth foreigners converted to citizens than compared to the past. For a country where the best selling car model is a BMW 5 series, having people to afford landed properties should not be a 'problem'. Otherwise how can you account for landed prices appreciation these last 3 years? ( From ave 500 psf for old landed freehold to the 1000 psf 'norm' of today)
As for counting, the last I know Landed property price increase 35% plus vs condo 15% plus increase since 4th Q 2009 (from the link below)
http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/reference/mdsjun11.pdf

Lastly, as far as I know , Singapore has limited land with a view of increasing the popluation from the current 5M to 7M. taking into account one quarter being new citizens and limited supply of landed properties, upside potential is indeed there.

proper-t
25-07-11, 15:10
There are more high net worth foreigners converted to citizens than compared to the past. For a country where the best selling car model is a BMW 5 series, having people to afford landed properties should not be a 'problem'. Otherwise how can you account for landed prices appreciation these last 3 years? ( From ave 500 psf for old landed freehold to the 1000 psf 'norm' of today)
As for counting, the last I know Landed property price increase 35% plus vs condo 15% plus increase since 4th Q 2009 (from the link below)
http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/reference/mdsjun11.pdf

Lastly, as far as I know , Singapore has limited land with a view of increasing the popluation from the current 5M to 7M. taking into account one quarter being new citizens and limited supply of landed properties, upside potential is indeed there.

Fully agree. As usual, there will always be people in the forum with their own agenda. I happen to own both landed and condos but my own feel is that landed will have great upside. Some people say that the prices have shot up termendously but to me, landed is just playing catch-up to the condo/apts as people are now starting to realise the potential of landed.

My friend/colleague who just converted to a SG citizen attended the ceremony in a east coast community centre. When chatting around with the 'new' citizens, he was quite amazed that a lot of them etiher own or stay in landed or are thinking of buying one in Singapore. They themselves have many wealthy friends who are PRs who are have the intention of applying for permission to buy landed. So, do not underestimate the demand. As new supply of freehold landed is virtually non-existent (except for sub-divisions), the upside potential can be great.

hopeful
25-07-11, 15:37
whether airspace or belowground space, it needs something to be based on, the actual land itself.
The day buildings can float in the sky is the day land will drop in value :).
Too bad I am a foreigner non-PR, restricted to playing condos only.

land118
25-07-11, 15:53
Fully agree. As usual, there will always be people in the forum with their own agenda. I happen to own both landed and condos but my own feel is that landed will have great upside. Some people say that the prices have shot up termendously but to me, landed is just playing catch-up to the condo/apts as people are now starting to realise the potential of landed.

My friend/colleague who just converted to a SG citizen attended the ceremony in a east coast community centre. When chatting around with the 'new' citizens, he was quite amazed that a lot of them etiher own or stay in landed or are thinking of buying one in Singapore. They themselves have many wealthy friends who are PRs who are have the intention of applying for permission to buy landed. So, do not underestimate the demand. As new supply of freehold landed is virtually non-existent (except for sub-divisions), the upside potential can be great. Am also like you ( own landed & condo)..., for the longest time in the past, condo prices keep going up and landed just slowly moved like a snail until recently...., personally, I also feel landed is just playing catch-up and more people (if they can afford) , now feel there is greater value and potential in landed...:2cents:

devilplate
25-07-11, 16:55
Am also like you ( own landed & condo)..., for the longest time in the past, condo prices keep going up and landed just slowly moved like a snail until recently...., personally, I also feel landed is just playing catch-up and more people (if they can afford) , now feel there is greater value and potential in landed...:2cents:
Sian....me how?:( :o

hopeful
25-07-11, 17:03
Sian....me how?:( :o

you also can, only need to sell your clift, waterbank, southbank, confirm can get FH landed.

land118
25-07-11, 17:08
Sian....me how?:( :oBro, your Cliff & SouthBank already "pon pee pee" liao..., maybe no need to sell, just get equity loan, cash out some $ can buy FH landed ...

devilplate
25-07-11, 17:25
you also can, only need to sell your clift, waterbank, southbank, confirm can get FH landed.
..........:mad: :banghead:

devilplate
25-07-11, 17:28
Bro, your Cliff & SouthBank already "pon pee pee" liao..., maybe no need to sell, just get equity loan, cash out some $ can buy FH landed ...
My problem is not willing to buy at today's px........:o

land118
25-07-11, 17:33
My problem is not willing to buy at today's px........:oBro, you are prudent. Hard to imagine and swallow sometimes if we look back at 2009, no one would imagine how prices has gone up so much so far..Well, at least u are well vested in other properties, so enjoy the ride ahead...:D

devilplate
25-07-11, 17:41
Bro, you are prudent. Hard to imagine and swallow sometimes if we look back at 2009, no one would imagine how prices has gone up so much so far..Well, at least u are well vested in other properties, so enjoy the ride ahead...:D
now i can just hope tat landed prices dun shoot up too much from now lor....i wish i noe this forum earlier.....after reading jlrx postings, i realise i make the biggest mistake for not looking at landed....:(

lifeline
25-07-11, 18:12
now i can just hope tat landed prices dun shoot up too much from now lor....i wish i noe this forum earlier.....after reading jlrx postings, i realise i make the biggest mistake for not looking at landed....:(

clarity and regret come with hindsight.

i also wish bought another landed to offset the other. important is how to apply to the future. has the landed reached its peak price yet, when to reach, can still enter now, or wait until correction, sell which one to sponsor the next, etc. this is the million dollar question, right? anyway still make already, as invested, just difference in percentage only. if entered into landed then, will not be able to buy the other equally good ones, unless overleverage with its own inherent risk.

buttercarp
25-07-11, 19:14
clarity and regret come with hindsight.

i also wish bought another landed to offset the other. important is how to apply to the future. has the landed reached its peak price yet, when to reach, can still enter now, or wait until correction, sell which one to sponsor the next, etc. this is the million dollar question, right? anyway still make already, as invested, just difference in percentage only. if entered into landed then, will not be able to buy the other equally good ones, unless overleverage with its own inherent risk.

I believe that FH landed price will increase steadily.
There is hardly anymore FH land for residential development.
So if Singaporeans, and now PR's are constantly looking to upgrade to FH landed, naturally the price will increase.
So if you enter now, there is still hope.
Although if in a crisis, the price may drop slightly, but this may be temporary.
I think FH landed is a good buy if you are not a speculator.

lifeline
25-07-11, 20:50
I believe that FH landed price will increase steadily.
There is hardly anymore FH land for residential development.
So if Singaporeans, and now PR's are constantly looking to upgrade to FH landed, naturally the price will increase.
So if you enter now, there is still hope.
Although if in a crisis, the price may drop slightly, but this may be temporary.
I think FH landed is a good buy if you are not a speculator.

agree with you totally. for longer term horizon, only way is up. of course will be good to time purchase during correction where possible. however cos landed appreciated very much this round, it may also correct significantly during next correction. when that happens, if it happens, is anyone's guess. however with the govt's ssd engineered to avoid any significant correction, i dun see that happening, at least to a significant extent. in any case, for home owners like most of us, it should not make too make of a difference anyway.

wind30
26-07-11, 10:40

Buy landed must appreciate what you want to do on it mah. If you don't plan to use your "land", then might as well buy a condo... :)

err.... Condo is much more expensive for the same amount of built-up.

Duku
26-07-11, 11:46
Just notice that there were 7 pages of posting for landed from 2006 to 2009 (4 years-1.75 pg per year) and there is already 7 pages of posts from 2010 to current(1.5 years-4.6pg per year)

Base on the posting , it is an increase of 262% in posting.
In 2006, landed prices are averaging about 300 psf. Current at 1000 psf ( an increase of 233%)

Seems like there is a correlation to price and post in condosingapore.com.
Sure looks like a good indicator of where landed property price will go or have been going!

Duku
27-07-11, 11:19
http://ycpics.com/2011/07/ninety7-siglap-house-in-singapore/
A siglap house with good design

xebay11
27-07-11, 11:30

Facing Hot Sun.....

buttercarp
27-07-11, 12:57
Facing Hot Sun.....

You like west facing house?

My dream house would be a bungalow on a hill.
Then I can watch the rising and setting sun from the horizon.

howgozit
28-07-11, 02:19

Looks a bit too avant garde, such designs may not stand the test of time. But then again, what do I know?

proud owner
28-07-11, 08:24
Looks a bit too avant garde, such designs may not stand the test of time. But then again, what do I know?

the design is very modern ...
and yes you right ...

5 yrs down the road .. it will be super tacky ...

those single storey spanish villa style always stands the test of time ..

Fisherman
28-07-11, 11:29
and yes you right ...

What do you guys think of those contemporary design resort style full of glass ones? Will these designs last???

xebay11
28-07-11, 13:16
What do you guys think of those contemporary design resort style full of glass ones? Will these designs last???

IMHO yes, they are more lasting.

devilplate
28-07-11, 14:10

DaytonaSS
28-07-11, 14:14

y waste the last post...................?

ysyap
28-07-11, 15:25
y waste the last post...................?One more post to enter 5 digits figure! :D

ysyap
28-07-11, 15:26
You like west facing house?

My dream house would be a bungalow on a hill.
Then I can watch the rising and setting sun from the horizon.Bukit Timah Hill? :D

bargain hunter
28-07-11, 15:55
ooi bro, post something lah, anything...so that we can congratualte u on being the one and only person to ever hit 10,000 posts in 1 year and 3 months...i bet it will never happen again. hahaha. even for anyone of us to reach 10,000 posts already feels impossible.

howgozit
28-07-11, 16:52
and yes you right ...

In our region's context, perhaps a Balinese(ish) design with modern touches and fittings surrounded by lush foliage may be more evergreen.

But what the hey! If you have the cash, you can have all the flash! If its your money,who cares what are your tastes. I remember in the 80's, Roman pillars and fancy cornices were the rage.

Astute
28-08-11, 17:50
In our region's context, perhaps a Balinese(ish) design with modern touches and fittings surrounded by lush foliage may be more evergreen.

But what the hey! If you have the cash, you can have all the flash! If its your money,who cares what are your tastes. I remember in the 80's, Roman pillars and fancy cornices were the rage.

I agree. In a tropical climate like ours; Balinese design with modern touches is the most practical and energy saving. They are more likely to remain a popular theme for a 'resort home'. Cross ventilation, high ceiling are critical considerations if you do not want to pay hefty PUB bills. European designs are in general unsuitable for our local weather.

From my personal observation, many 'European style' houses built in the 90s have been torn down by new owners as they look rather odd and unattractive now!

chiaberry
29-08-11, 16:14
IMHO yes, they are more lasting.

Those houses with a lot of glass are HOT inside (they act like a greenhouse to trap heat from the sun) and the glass requires a lot of cleaning. There's also lack of privacy unless you are so fortunate to have a lot of space between you and the neighbours.