PDA

View Full Version : How to choose an architect?

bricksnmortar
09-07-11, 23:44
How do you guys choose your architect?

Do you ask friends or read the Home and Decor magazines? I know that different architects charge different. Varies from 10-15% of total cost of building the house or something like that yes? I'm presuming that the more expensive architects also use the more expensive builders. Is that correct?

stl67
10-07-11, 07:33
You might be able to get more info from the renovation forum. Go to the private property sub forum.

bricksnmortar
10-07-11, 08:34
Thanks. Where do i find this renovation forum? Have you got a web address?

DC33_2008
10-07-11, 12:46
If you are doing Reconstruction or Addition /Alternation of more than $500k, you can appoint an Architect to design and he/she can structural engineer and quantity surveyor to design structure and prepare tender document to call for tender for contractor. Alternatively, if you want to participate in the design w/o the architect, you can just get an experienced structural engineer. You will save in Architecture fee.

Do you ask friends or read the Home and Decor magazines? I know that different architects charge different. Varies from 10-15% of total cost of building the house or something like that yes? I'm presuming that the more expensive architects also use the more expensive builders. Is that correct?

stl67
10-07-11, 15:32
Thanks. Where do i find this renovation forum? Have you got a web address?

here is the link :http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showforum=5

bricksnmortar
10-07-11, 15:35
Thanks bro.

chho
11-07-11, 02:22
Well it depends on what kind of house you are building. 7% for reasonably good architects is doable but a designer architect will charge at least 10% of building cost. You can flip magazines and find what you like or you can also google Singapore Institute of Architects to get a list. Meet up with a few to see their past designs to know what you like. Have fun!

stl67
11-07-11, 15:41
What I recommend is to walk around the neighbour and get the contacts of the builder, architect and call them. Since there is a some live eg, it is a lot easier to describe what you and also cost estimation.