PDA

View Full Version : Buy new or old?

bricksnmortar
09-07-11, 23:12
Such a difficult dilemma. Cos i eventually want a new place to stay in....

I like that if you buy old houses, the price psf of land is cheaper. And i tend to value land more than the building, thinking long term.

I like buying old houses because you can also design and build your own house if you want a new house to live in - so buy old for cheaper but have to spend money to design and build. Nett - probably no cost savings in the end if i want to live in a new house.

Montaigne
10-07-11, 08:43
My personal choice: Buy only new for own stay, if for investment, dun mind buy old...

bricksnmortar
10-07-11, 21:17
But if you buy new, then no chance to build it to your own specs...

DC33_2008
10-07-11, 21:30
It is a sense of great satisfaction to participate in the design of your own house. Experience it. You will never forget it.
But if you buy new, then no chance to build it to your own specs...

sh
10-07-11, 21:32
i tend to value land more than the building, thinking long term.

you just answered your own question.....:doh:

make do with the existing, save up and when you can afford it, rebuilt to your liking.....:D

bricksnmortar
10-07-11, 21:38
When i buy its for own stay. I'll immediately take up another construction loan and build it to my own specs. Then move in.

But what do the rest think? Must be some pros in buying new cos there are many being built for sale by developers, right? Am i being overly suspicious of the new builds?

sh
10-07-11, 21:43
sometimes there is a piece of land that you love that stretches your budget. You go for it and forgo rebuilding for now.....:)

chho
11-07-11, 01:24
I say we should buy old and aim to rebuild, if not now then in the future. It is one of those rare opportunities when the cost of rebuilding is relatively affordable in comparison to the cost of land. Try building you own condo.:scared-1:

Besides, developers will always cut corners to maximize profit and cut-backs may not be obvious when everything is brand new and also why pay for somebody else's generic design when you can customize your own house in accordance to your own specs?:)

When i buy its for own stay. I'll immediately take up another construction loan and build it to my own specs. Then move in.

But what do the rest think? Must be some pros in buying new cos there are many being built for sale by developers, right? Am i being overly suspicious of the new builds?