PDA

View Full Version : [News] Mandai Depot announced, TSL Woodlands MRT site confirmed

solsys
17-06-11, 09:42
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_680471.html

Jun 16, 2011
LTA announces Mandai site for Thomson Line depot
By Royston Sim

The Land Transport Authority has announced the site for the Thomson Line (TSL) depot which has room for 90 trains compared to the Kim Chuan Depot (above), where it has the capacity to stable 77 trains. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

THE Land Transport Authority has announced the site for the Thomson Line (TSL) depot.

The 32ha depot will be located in Mandai beside a portion of the Seletar Expressway, and will provide stabling and maintenance facilities for TSL trains.

It will be the fifth MRT depot here as well as the largest - it has room for 90 trains compared to the Bishan depot's 37 and the upcoming Tuas West depot's 60. Construction is scheduled to begin at the end of 2012.

Fully underground, the proposed TSL will run from Woodlands through the CBD to Marina Bay, and ease congestion on the existing North-South Line (NSL).

The TSL will interchange with the NSL at the existing Woodlands MRT station.

The northernmost TSL station will be located near Republic Polytechnic, and the proposed Rapid Transit System Link between Singapore and Johor Bahru will be integrated with it there. The LTA will announce further details of the TSL at a later date.

land118
17-06-11, 11:15
Looking forward to the day MRT can run to JB, will be good for both countries. Most European cities are already connected by train, travel is so convenient....

kane
17-06-11, 11:34
So is this Thomson line meant to connected to the new financial center in marina bay?

kingkong1984
17-06-11, 11:38
replace malaysian rail mah.. from jb to jb's land. (jointly owned also counts right?)

scsc
17-06-11, 13:28
hopefully Custom clearing is automated & no naked swatting :scared-1:

desirenlure
17-06-11, 16:18
There are positive and negative sides to improve the ease of transportation between 2 countries. IMHO, JB will be the big winner because business there will enjoy increase trade volumes and perhaps a positive upside to their property value. Singapore may get a shorter end of the stick. Business at the Northern region such as Woodlands, Sembawang, Admiralty and Choa Chu Kang may see a decline in volume because it makes sense to travel across the straits for shopping. Some esp those whom their homeland is Malaysia, may even choose to live in JB instead of the properties in the Northern region because they offer a better bang for the buck. Notwithstanding the financial implication, there may be more social issues arising from the greater movement of people across the border.

I think the gov has seriously considered the implications before taking this step which is why it is realized only in 2018. Many people reading this forum may be grandfather by then but prior to it, start thinking about how it affects you.

hopeful
17-06-11, 17:02
....... Some esp those whom their homeland is Malaysia, may even choose to live in JB instead of the properties in the Northern region because they offer a better bang for the buck. Notwithstanding the financial implication, there may be more social issues arising from the greater movement of people across the border......
whats your take of Iskandar private residential? Will it go up ?

Will malaysian side implement park and ride?
afraid park at malaysian side for 1 day, come back, no more car.

ysyap
17-06-11, 17:52
whats your take of Iskandar private residential? Will it go up ?

Will malaysian side implement park and ride?
afraid park at malaysian side for 1 day, come back, no more car.With all the insecurity of Malaysia I've constantly read in the papers and online, I'd not park my car across the causeway... simply too much risk involved... rather pay for the higher parking charges locally! :D

desirenlure
18-06-11, 12:00
IMHO, Malaysia has a lot of land especially at the outskirts, though there may be upside but slow, so that really depends on your investment horizon; properties in KL may make better investment sense. But I do think that those near the new Nusajaya administrative zone may gain more eyeballs as more businesses move there. I really like some of residential project and they do not cost an arm and a leg; the cost of living is also lower. I'll seriously consider moving there in 10 years time if transportation improves. I know security is still an issue, so we just have to be more vigilant.