View Full Version : JB supper trip turns into nightmare for 2 women

acidic.straw
14-06-11, 12:30
Can you believe this?:mad:

Jun 14, 2011,ST

JB supper trip turns into nightmare for 2 women

They say they were remanded and forced to undress and do squats

By Tham Yuen-C
http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20110613/ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS14-YDE.jpg -- An Illustration'They asked us to strip, take off all our clothes and underwear, and then asked us to stand up and down while pulling our ears.'
Ms Lim, one of the two women

TWO Singaporean women who drove to Johor Baru for supper found themselves questioned by Malaysian immigration officers, handcuffed, thrown behind bars and made to do squats while naked.
They said their nightmare started when they drove into Johor Baru without getting their passports stamped, through an unmanned immigration lane. It ended 48 hours later when they were allowed to return to Singapore with a warning.
'We thought it was a small issue, we didn't think something like that would happen,' said one of the women, a manager in an insurance company who wanted to be known only as Ms Chang.
A spokesman for the Custom and Immigration Quarantine Complex in Bangunan Sultan Iskandar confirmed that two Singaporean women had been detained for an immigration offence.
Ms Chang, in her late 30s, had been driven to Johor Baru by her friend, a property agent in her late 20s who wanted to be known only as Ms Lim, at about 1.30am last Thursday.
Ms Lim was driving her new Nissan Latio. It was the first time she had driven to Malaysia, although she had been driven there before by friends.
'We just wanted to go for supper, polish my car and explore a bit,' she said. 'I just bought my car a month ago, so we thought we'd make it an adventure.'
At the Malaysian immigration side of the Causeway, they drove into a lane that was not manned. 'There wasn't anyone at the station and the green light was on,' said Ms Lim. 'I pressed the intercom and couldn't hear anything because of the static, so I just continued driving when the barrier opened.'
Ms Chang said they drove on because they thought that Malaysia's newly introduced biometric system - which has been in the news - would be ahead.
Ms Lim said they drove for another five minutes before they realised there would not be another counter.
The women realised that they had proceeded through Malaysian Customs without getting their passports stamped, and immediately did a U-turn.
By 2am, they were back at the checkpoint and explaining their mistake to the officers there. But they said the officers did not buy their story, although they pointed out that their Singapore passports would show that they had just entered Malaysia.
An officer also appeared offended when Ms Lim suggested that they check with Singapore immigration. They were asked to leave their car and were taken to a meeting room and told to wait there.
Ms Chang called her elder brother, and Ms Lim called a friend, to let them know what had happened.
The two women were left on their own in the room for about two hours before they were taken to another meeting room at about 4am.
Ms Chang said that at about noon last Thursday, an officer told them they would have to pay a fine of RM3,000 (S$1,200) each before they could be let off. Another officer had earlier said they could be fined up to RM10,000 and jailed for five years for illegally entering Malaysia. 'We agreed to pay because we wanted to get it done once and for all,' said Ms Chang.
The women said they signed a statement that was written in Malay, and asked to be taken to an ATM. They waited for three hours but no one came for them. By then, their phones had been taken away.
At about 5pm, they were told that they would be transferred to the Pontian Remand Centre and held for up to 14 days.
They then asked for their phones so that they could keep their families informed.
At the remand centre, the women were handcuffed. They also had to remove their belongings before being patted down by a female officer.
Worse was to come. 'They asked us to strip, take off all our clothes and underwear, and then asked us to stand up and down while pulling our ears,' said Ms Lim. She said they felt like prisoners 'although we hadn't been convicted yet'.
After doing 10 squats, the women were told to put on their jeans and were given T-shirts. They were then locked in a cell three-quarters the size of a basketball court with 50 other women, mostly from Indonesia, China and the Philippines.
'The conditions were terrible,' said Ms Chang. 'No fan, no ventilation, no bed, the flooring is wood, and they have termites, cockroaches, spiders, mosquitoes.'
There was an open toilet in the middle of the cell.The other women said they were being held for immigration-related reasons. They also said that immigration offenders were usually locked up for about six days, said Ms Chang.
The women spent the night in the cell. At about 5pm the next day, they were told they would be released. They were driven in a six-seater van back to the immigration checkpoint at the Causeway where they received a warning letter.
By then, it was already about 11.30pm on Friday. When they were later taken to their car, Ms Lim noticed scratches on it that had not been there before. She asked the officer about them, but was told he had nothing to do with it.
Now back in Singapore, both women say they will never go back to Malaysia. 'I don't think I will ever want to step into Malaysia any more. I am worried this thing will happen again,' said Ms Lim.
Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) yesterday said it was investigating the incident and would help the women in whatever way it could.
The Malaysian High Commission here said it had not received any formal complaint about the incident.
Yesterday, Ms Lim and Ms Chang said they would be meeting the MFA today, before deciding whether to make a complaint.
When pressed about the case, the Custom and Immigration Quarantine Complex spokesman said it was the responsibility of travellers to get their passports stamped before they entered Malaysia. He declined to elaborate.
[email protected] ([email protected])

Allthepies
14-06-11, 12:58
outrageous! :mad:

sleek
14-06-11, 13:23
Morale of the story is always check your passport after clearing JB immigration to make sure its stamped! :tsk-tsk:

bargain hunter
14-06-11, 13:28
while the treatment upon arrest was wrong and i m angry too, the 2 women were in the wrong too. it is a fact that they entered malaysia illegally by driving through an unmanned checkpoint.

Morale of the story is always check your passport after clearing JB immigration to make sure its stamped! :tsk-tsk:

hopeful
14-06-11, 13:54
while the treatment upon arrest was wrong and i m angry too, the 2 women were in the wrong too. it is a fact that they entered malaysia illegally by driving through an unmanned checkpoint. won't there be a barrier if checkpoint unmanned?

bargain hunter
14-06-11, 14:08
"At the Malaysian immigration side of the Causeway, they drove into a lane that was not manned. 'There wasn't anyone at the station and the green light was on,' said Ms Lim. 'I pressed the intercom and couldn't hear anything because of the static, so I just continued driving when the barrier opened.'"

won't there be a barrier if checkpoint unmanned?

hopeful
14-06-11, 14:16
it is a setup, hmm remember last time the news got mentioned about Malaysia policemen secretly film nude women being held.
Now wondering whether the 2 Singaporean women kena filmed also?

condoinvestor
14-06-11, 14:23
At the Malaysian immigration side of the Causeway, they drove into a lane that was not manned. 'There wasn't anyone at the station and the green light was on,' said Ms Lim. 'I pressed the intercom and couldn't hear anything because of the static, so I just continued driving when the barrier opened.'

Malaysia Boleh

DaytonaSS
14-06-11, 14:30
moral of the story, singapore dont sell supper?

azeoprop
14-06-11, 14:32
Haa haa, they wanted an adventure mah :rolleyes:

bargain hunter
14-06-11, 14:36
they sure got what they want. :doh:

DaytonaSS
14-06-11, 14:41

i dont think JB is safe place especially at night. Too many horror stories liao. Stop going JB although after alot of news on robbers targeting Singaporeans.

Want supper and adventure can go geylang ma.

acidic.straw
14-06-11, 14:49
i dont think JB is safe place especially at night. Too many horror stories liao. Stop going JB although after alot of news on robbers targeting Singaporeans.

Want supper and adventure can go geylang ma.

It's not safe because of the cops not because of robbers :beats-me-man:
Now big cover up by their immigration dept...

Malaysia BoLeow!

hopeful
14-06-11, 15:14
Do you think your Singapore government will protest and make loud noises?:rolleyes:.

I know my government will, if only for natives origin.
For those of chinese origin, they are on our own.

devilplate
14-06-11, 15:25
Avoid msia at all cost!

Pls dun go into a country tat obviously dun welcome us.

The 2gers considered lucky nvr kena rob n raped for entering msia at 2am:doh:

thomastansb
14-06-11, 15:28
They drove past the custom at 1.35am and return at 2am??? They are asking for it. So dumb. I can reach Kota Tinggi in 25 mins already. Even after paying toll, just stop the car and get your passport stamped la. Didn't they see everyone else stamping their passport also? Are they dumb or what?

They are first time driving in, NOT FIRST TIME GOING IN.

:confused::scared-4::doh::beats-me-man::banghead:

bargain hunter
14-06-11, 15:29
i don't think so. the 2 girls don't have a case. they broke the law, set up or no set up.

Do you think your Singapore government will protest and make loud noises?:rolleyes:.

I know my government will, if only for natives origin.
For those of chinese origin, they are on our own.

proud owner
14-06-11, 15:33
They drove past the custom at 1.35am and return at 2am??? They are asking for it. So dumb. I can reach Kota Tinggi in 25 mins already. Even after paying toll, just stop the car and get your passport stamped la. Didn't they see everyone else stamping their passport also? Are they dumb or what?

They are first time driving in, NOT FIRST TIME GOING IN.

:confused::scared-4::doh::beats-me-man::banghead:

they drove in at 1.35 am ... for supper

did they plan to stay overnight ?

cos they said wanted to also polish her car ... car polish service in the wee hrs ?

strange also leh .....

maybe go in to call ' duck' lah ...

hopeful
14-06-11, 15:51
if we use BJT21 3rd eye, can see 24 hour car wash in JB.

ysyap
14-06-11, 16:45
Got ambiguity in their account.

How can it take 25 mins before they realise there's no other counter to stamp their passport?

How can they be so dense to see that there might be one or two other cars at other counters which guai guai stop at those counters to have their passport stamped while they just drove further forward?

How can they go to wax car at 1.30am?

How can their family members not report to the local police within the first 24hrs and by then so much more things could have taken place in day 2 instead of what they've described! Swift actions by our local police could have prevented further complications.

How can they describe driving a new nissan latio into JB for midnight supper be an adventure? Surely more than just supper? Must be hidding something else!

proud owner
14-06-11, 16:52
Got ambiguity in their account.

How can it take 25 mins before they realise there's no other counter to stamp their passport?

How can they be so dense to see that there might be one or two other cars at other counters which guai guai stop at those counters to have their passport stamped while they just drove further forward?

How can they go to wax car at 1.30am?

How can their family members not report to the local police within the first 24hrs and by then so much more things could have taken place in day 2 instead of what they've described! Swift actions by our local police could have prevented further complications.

How can they describe driving a new nissan latio into JB for midnight supper be an adventure? Surely more than just supper? Must be hidding something else!

women aer encouraged to come forward ...if they become rape victims ..

in this case ...only made to strip and do squats + pull the ears mah ..nothing shameful right ?

also names withheld ... jialat

sure hiding something

hopeful
14-06-11, 16:57
people many times do stupid things for good reasons.
go midnight to beat the jam at causeway and no need to queue at carwash?

acidic.straw
14-06-11, 16:58
women aer encouraged to come forward ...if they become rape victims ..

in this case ...only made to strip and do squats + pull the ears mah ..nothing shameful right ?

also names withheld ... jialat

sure hiding something
the pull ears part first time i come across...maybe new bodysearch technique invented by malaysian customs...malaysia boleh lah! :jackass:

hopeful
14-06-11, 17:07
the pull ears part first time i come across...maybe new bodysearch technique invented by malaysian customs...malaysia boleh lah! :jackass:

according to reason given by Malaysian police, the naked squats is to remove any objects hidden away in bottom orifices.
pull ears is to remove any objects hidden away inside in the ear

proud owner
14-06-11, 17:13

no lah happened before

reported in spore papers ... that time was some china birds kana made to do the same thing ...

you want to come in for

fresh and cheap ?
so let us see if you have big tits too

ysyap
14-06-11, 17:19
These women never go army before so not use to being naked in front of fellow women. Wait till they hear that we bathed together during BMT and during some overseas ex. :scared-4: Oh I'm embarrassed!!! :ashamed1:

ysyap
14-06-11, 17:23
according to reason given by Malaysian police, the naked squats is to remove any objects hidden away in bottom orifices.
pull ears is to remove any objects hidden away inside in the earWhile I can still understand the squats, I can't imagine the pulling ear move. If I kept something inside my ear, I'll simply pull it in such a way that it will still remain in tact. The better approach is to shine a torch light into the ear carnal to have a clearer view lah! :doh: Then why they don't check mouth and nose also? Fancy them to think of such moves! :o

solsys
14-06-11, 17:31
Lol, they got more than they wanted. But seriously, unmanned lane is really uncalled for. If go thru lane and officer never stamp still can forgive but this one is really tough.

ysyap
14-06-11, 17:45
Well I guess its a common sight to see the northern custom side to have very dubious practise habits. Nobody to man the counter and still have green light! In Singapore sure kana slammed like crazy. Even go toilet also must notify.

I just drove in last weekend and saw officers sleeping in view of all passing vehicles till someone who approached him to ask for direction to the toilet also have to shake him a bit! :scared-4:

Anyway, this is probably a very valuable, costly but valuable lesson for that 2 ladies! Also a free lesson for all of us who read their account! Never leave the lanes w/o having our passports stamped! :D

acidic.straw
14-06-11, 17:49
Lol, they got more than they wanted. But seriously, unmanned lane is really uncalled for. If go thru lane and officer never stamp still can forgive but this one is really tough.

Either the officer eat snake or it's a trap...I tink most prob eat snake then not happy to be caught by the women

ysyap
14-06-11, 17:52
So what can Singapore authority do about such cases? Advise the women to let it go? Hmmm.... very sensitive leh! :scared-4:

hopeful
14-06-11, 18:14
Vivian tested by recent flood.
Now new foreign minister(who?) tested by this incident. Will he set up expert committee on how to handle foreign affairs?

hyenergix
14-06-11, 19:32
If if in Singapore, inviting urself into a property if its door is open w/o e owner's consent is call a serious trespassing offense. Hmm what r they thinking.

ysyap
14-06-11, 21:30
If if in Singapore, inviting urself into a property if its door is open w/o e owner's consent is call a serious trespassing offense. Hmm what r they thinking.If drag into court, then the court will surely accertain that these 2 ladies did not have the intention to sneak into the country otherwise they'd driven off instead of guai guai coming back to have their passports stamped! But I seriously doubt it'll escalate till court! :D

kingkong1984
14-06-11, 21:56
More than meets the eye.

They are doing anti drug smuggling checks on them.

Supper plenty in Singapore, 2 women... Got interest to go for adventure? Might as well walk up the cemetry grounds.

NorthernStar
14-06-11, 22:06
These counters are for Malaysian passport holders. They don't need to scan and stamp on their passport (sometimes). :)

ysyap
14-06-11, 22:15
DAP says nude squat case ‘humiliating’, demands Home Ministry response

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/dNyx_QqJOHWcQp8Uy3I8XA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9Mjc-/http://media.zenfs.com/248/2011/05/20/tmi-left_133136.png (http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/)The Malaysian Insider – Tue, Jun 14, 2011

tweet (http://my.news.yahoo.com/_social/share/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.news.yahoo.com%2Fdap-says-nude-squat-case-humiliating-demands-home-015317737.html&text=DAP%20says%20nude%20squat%20case%20%E2%80%98humiliating%E2%80%99%2C%20demands%20Home%20Ministry%20response%20-%20Yahoo!%20News&via=Yahoo_MY&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.news.yahoo.com%2Fdap-says-nude-squat-case-humiliating-demands-home-015317737.html&lang=en&action=retweet)11 (http://twitter.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.news.yahoo.com%2Fdap-says-nude-squat-case-humiliating-demands-home-015317737.html)
Email (http://mtf.news.yahoo.com/mailto/?prop=news&locale=my&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.news.yahoo.com%2Fdap-says-nude-squat-case-humiliating-demands-home-015317737.html&title=DAP%20says%20nude%20squat%20case%20%E2%80%98humiliating%E2%80%99%2C%20demands%20Home%20Ministry%20response%20-%20Yahoo!%20News)
Print (http://javascript<b></b>:window.print();)

Related Content

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/10dNCAUcbBPhLq8xytjR8Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MjY2O2NyPTE7Y3c9NDAwO2R4PTA7ZHk9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0xMjc7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/MY/News/themalaysianinsider/kulasegaran400px2.jpgEnlarge Photo (http://my.news.yahoo.com/photos/pakatan-nampaknya-tun-daim-tidak-realistik-dunia-politik-photo-20110327-140254-207.html) DAP tuntut KDN respons, ketuk ketampi bogel aibkan

By Shazwan Mustafa Kamal

KUALA LUMPUR, June 14 — The DAP has demanded that the Home Ministry respond to reports that two Singaporean women were handcuffed and made to do squats naked by Malaysian immigration officials.

Ipoh Barat MP M Kulasegaran said that the act was “humiliating” and “ridiculous,” while Bakri MP Er Teck Hwa said the incident would give other countries the perception that Malaysia was a “lawless” country.

“You cannot do this, why subject these women to this form of interrogation, it is humiliating,” Kulasegaran told The Malaysian Insider.

Batu Gajah MP Fong Po Kuan had brought the matter up earlier to deputy home minister Datuk Abu Seman Yusop, but Abu Seman had declined to offer a response as Fong’s question was not included in the list during question time.

“I tried to bring it up, but the deputy minister did not answer [my question],” Fong told The Malaysian Insider.

“People won’t want to come to our country anymore if this kind of practice occurs ... this will affect the country’s image as a tourist destination.

“The Home Ministry must give a response, they must investigate what happened,” Er added.

Two Singaporean women who drove to Johor Baru for supper were questioned by Malaysian immigration officials, handcuffed, thrown behind bars and made to do squats while naked, the Singapore Straits Times reported today.

The two women said they had driven into Johor Baru without getting their passports stamped, through an unmanned immigration lane.

Following their punishment, they were allowed to return to Singapore after 48 hours with a warning.

Now back in Singapore, both women say they will never go back to Malaysia.

hyenergix
14-06-11, 22:20
Malaysia election is coming? This issue is being politicised there. So many typo using my current hp :p Going to change it soon...

ysyap
14-06-11, 22:28
Malaysia election is coming? This issue is being politicised there. So many typo using my current hp :p Going to change it soon...Always interesting to watch such progressions in the news! :spliff:

Regulators
14-06-11, 22:37
I don't know whether they film those naked squats coz last time a muslim woman was made to do squats and it was filmed. I think the squats is humiliating and this is no way to treat singaporeans. If the girls wanted to smuggle, they have already succeeded and need not turn back to explain this and that. I think these malaysian immigration officers don't have much of a brain :doh:

ysyap
14-06-11, 22:51
Very strange... these custom officers accuse the 2 ladies of attempts to smuggle stuff so caught them but did they even attempt to arrest their systemic loop hole of allowing foreigners into their country unchecked, as pointed out by the two ladies?

If they are serious about smuggling activities and not allowing unauthorized entry into the country, they should also pay attention to the warnings issued by these 2 ladies! :)

proud owner
14-06-11, 22:52
I don't know whether they film those naked squats coz last time a muslim woman was made to do squats and it was filmed. I think the squats is humiliating and this is no way to treat singaporeans. If the girls wanted to smuggle, they have already succeeded and need not turn back to explain this and that. I think these malaysian immigration officers don't have much of a brain :doh:

i am sure in the singapore changi prison

the male convicts aer stripped as well ... anal check too ...

so how ?

not humiliating ?

i think sporean women really must go NS lah ...

so they go spa wearing clothes?
also naked right ?
squat down to rub the feet ... then ears itchy ... pulling them a bit

same same mah ...

or should they use dogs to sniff their ...err you know where ? if they cannot be stripped ?

just becos we are sporeans and the 2 women kana this thing ... it becomes a big deal

we havent even really know why they go JB supper at 1.35 am , planned to polish car some more at those hrs ...

i really dont believe them

at the end of the day ... if you go to ANY country ... get thru the custom with a chop ... walk back and say they got thru by mistake ...what do you think that makes of the custom ?
you want them to admit they are sleeping ?

getting a chop is basic knowledge at any custom

if I drove in and no one at the booth , i would have reverse out and use another lane ...

why didnt they ?

proud owner
14-06-11, 22:59
Very strange... these custom officers accuse the 2 ladies of attempts to smuggle stuff so caught them but did they even attempt to arrest their systemic loop hole of allowing foreigners into their country unchecked, as pointed out by the two ladies?

If they are serious about smuggling activities and not allowing unauthorized entry into the country, they should also pay attention to the warnings issued by these 2 ladies! :)

then again

if anyone walks thru spore customs without a chop ... will he be simply asked to go back to the line and get it chopped ?

sure kana arrested right ?

the first thing ANY police will think is : illegal entry ... hand cuff you first ...

what the malaysian police did in the first place is not wrong ..

what happens in the room is another issue ...

just becos no one from spore prison ever come out and complain , doesnt mean ours are doing all the right thing ..am i right ?

all prisons are dirty ..

if spore demands malaysia for an explanation
then we should also demand that ..men accuse of rape/molest ..should never have their pictures and name published until convicted

cos if they are innocent ...then they are also humiiated right ?

worst...many innocent men lost the jobs / friends etc ..

acidic.straw
14-06-11, 23:03
Singaporeans shld boycott Malaysia if they don't have pressing needs to go there and send a clear message to these jokers to stop messing with us.
I don't understand why people are so desperate to go there just to save a few bucks. Where's your pride & dignity people? :banghead:

proud owner
14-06-11, 23:09
Singaporeans shld boycott Malaysia if they don't have pressing needs to go there and send a clear message to these jokers to stop messing with us.
I don't understand why people are so desperate to go there just to save a few bucks. Where's your pride & dignity people? :banghead:

to me ... JB is nothing special ... except for the food... some of the small restuarants food , or even the hawker food...damn good...

but i wont go there to repair , polish car etc ...

ever consider ourselves lucky ?

i have been to so many airports... US, EUROPE, Scandinavia, Asia, Asia pacific ... i pity the darker skin colored people ... all kana check like crazy

even in our own changi airport .. always kana ask to open luggage ...

i pity them ...

hopeful
14-06-11, 23:30
i have been to so many airports... US, EUROPE, Scandinavia, Asia, Asia pacific ... i pity the darker skin colored people ... all kana check like crazy

even in our own changi airport .. always kana ask to open luggage ...

i pity them ...
you are very right. When choosing lanes at immigration, I join the queue with the most angmo and the least dark skin. Sure faster to clear immigration. sad but it's a fact of life.

kingkong1984
15-06-11, 05:26
We can only name and shame to put a stop to selective bullying. That's all there is to understand.

acidic.straw
15-06-11, 08:10
The saga continues. What ridiculous things can we expect from the Johor Immigration report? Malaysian opposition parties have also jumped into the fray. Naked women, men in uniforms and politicians make a potent and explosive mix indeed! :scared-1:

Jun 15, 2011, ST

S'pore asks Malaysia about two women's ordeal in JB

Making suspects do squats is not standard procedure: Johor official

By Tham Yuen-C
SINGAPORE'S Foreign Affairs Ministry has asked the Malaysian immigration authorities for more information on the treatment of two Singaporean women detained for nearly 48 hours in Johor Baru.
The women - who wanted to be known only as Ms Chang and Ms Lim - told The Straits Times that they were handcuffed, thrown behind bars and forced to undress and perform squats.
Their nightmare happened after they accidentally entered Johor Baru without getting their passports stamped, by driving through what they said was an unmanned immigration lane.
'Our consulate in JB has been in touch with the Malaysian immigration authorities to enquire on the investigation and detention procedures that the two Singaporeans underwent,' said a Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman.
Ms Chang, an insurance industry manager in her late 30s, and Ms Lim, an estate agent in her late 20s, met up with consular officers here yesterday to recount their ordeal.
They had driven across the Causeway for a snack in the early hours of last Thursday. After realising they had accidentally gone straight through immigration, they immediately did a U-turn.
They said they were questioned by immigration officers, and then taken to the Pekan Nenas detention centre in Pontian where they were ordered to strip and do 10 squats each.
Yesterday, Johor Immigration director Nasri Ishak told The Straits Times that it had finished investigating the incident. 'We in Johor have already prepared a report and that report was sent to the headquarters,' he said.
He declined to elaborate on the women's treatment, but was quoted in Malaysia's The Star newspaper as saying that making suspects perform squats was not standard procedure.
'Removing clothes, however, is sometimes needed as it is essential for our officers to ensure that the detainees are not hiding any weapons,' he was quoted as saying.
Malaysian Home Ministry director-general Mahmood Adam said when contacted that the immigration department would issue a statement soon.
Yesterday, Ms Chang said she and Ms Lim would be lodging a formal complaint with the Malaysian High Commission in Singapore. 'What we went through was not right,' she said.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it would bring the complaint to the attention of the High Commission as soon as it received it.
Meanwhile, the incident has caused a furore among Members of Parliament from the Democratic Action Party in Malaysia.
Ipoh Barat MP M. Kulasegaran called the women's treatment 'humiliating' and 'ridiculous', reported The Malaysian Insider website. 'You cannot do this. Why subject these women to this form of interrogation? It is humiliating,' he was quoted as saying.
Seputeh MP Teresa Kok called for the officers involved to be punished, saying: 'It makes Malaysia look barbaric.'

ysyap
15-06-11, 08:22
you are very right. When choosing lanes at immigration, I join the queue with the most angmo and the least dark skin. Sure faster to clear immigration. sad but it's a fact of life.If all driving, you can never tell which queue has more angmo. :eek: I'll join the queue with least number of heads popping out in the silhouette. Less time to chop less passports... oh i forgot, its biometric system now! :p

hopeful
15-06-11, 09:05
how malaysian politicians, even if opposition, makes noise?

Singapore politicians, both sides, seems to keep quiet. GE over already, so no points to score?

ysyap
15-06-11, 13:08
M’sia Immigration: Women's explanation 'suspicious'

By Jeanette Tan (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/author/jeanette-tan/) | SingaporeScene (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/) – Tue, Jun 14, 2011

tweet (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/_social/share/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fporean-women-file-complaint-against-m-sian-immigration-133629510.html&text=M%E2%80%99sia%20Immigration%3A%20Women's%20explanation%20'suspicious'%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News&via=yahoosg&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fporean-women-file-complaint-against-m-sian-immigration-133629510.html&lang=en&action=retweet)24 (http://twitter.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fporean-women-file-complaint-against-m-sian-immigration-133629510.html)
Email (http://mtf.news.yahoo.com/mailto/?prop=news&locale=sg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fporean-women-file-complaint-against-m-sian-immigration-133629510.html&title=M%E2%80%99sia%20Immigration%3A%20Women's%20explanation%20'suspicious'%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News)
Print (javascript:window.print();)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/qoIGCmE86eJ2XGC3fy6Lxw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTQ1MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-SG/blogs/singaporescene/causeway.jpg Alleged case of mistreatment at M'sia Customs: Which side to believe? (File photo)

By Jeanette Tan and Faris Mokhtar
UPDATE

Malaysia's Immigration Department has questioned the version of events given by the two Singaporean women who alleged they were mistreated by immigration officials (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/two-porean-women-detained-strip-searched-m-sia-153412363.html) in Johor Bahru, labelling their explanation "suspicious".

In a statement obtained by Yahoo! Singapore, Immigration Department Director-General Alias bin Ahmad confirmed the two women were arrested last week under the Immigration Act for not having valid passes for entry into Malaysia.

The duo could have been fined RM10,000 or jailed up to five years and caned six times.

Datuk Alias said the women's earlier explanation that they were unsure of immigration procedures at the Customs checkpoint was suspicious because "both passports showed that both had been to Malaysia a number of times."

His statement added their most recent visits were on 31 July 2010 and April 6 this year. As such, the statement said their allegation that there was no immigration officer at the check-in counter was "not reasonable".
In addition, the statement said "all 38 counters were fully open to the public" on the day.

In earlier reports, the two Singaporean women -- Lim Lili and Zhan Tingting (not their real names) -- claim the lane they had entered was unmanned.

In particular, Miss Lim said she had been to JB many times with her friends but it was her first time driving across the Causeway. Also because it was her first time experiencing the new biometric scanner (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/system-causes-long-delays-jb-checkpoints-050832546.html) at the counter, the estate agent in her 20s said she tried using the intercom to ask an officer for help.

After waiting for five minutes, they decided to move on without getting their passports stamped but after realising their mistake, they returned to the customs checkpoint but were subsequently arrested and sent to a nearby detention centre. There, they were ordered to strip and do squats in the nude.

The statement said the women's treatment at the detention centre was according to "standard operating procedures" as required for admission of new prisoners. This includes a "thorough examination of the body of the new detainees to ensure that no prohibited goods were hidden in body parts".

The examination, it said, was conducted by an on-duty female officer in a room in accordance with the standard procedures. The case was referred to the Deputy Public Prosecutor, who finally decided to let the women off with a stern warning the next day.

Meanwhile, both women are set to file an official complaint against the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

A spokesperson from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) (http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?p=ministry+of+foreign+affairs&fr=fp-today&cs=bz) told Yahoo! Singapore on Tuesday night that the two women had met its consular officers and that they wanted to lodge a formal complaint to the Malaysian High Commission. It's understood the MFA will help forward the complaint.

The spokesperson added its consulate in Johor Bahru has also contacted Malaysian immigration authorities to inquire on the immigration and detention procedures the women were subjected to.

However, other representatives from within the Immigration Department headquarters in Kuala Lumpur that Yahoo! Singapore spoke to said the two women could have "blown the story out of proportion".

A public relations officer, who wanted to be known only as Haidir, said the two ladies should have waited at the immigration counter for an officer to assist them, even if the booth was unmanned.

Otherwise, they should have approached any of the other officers in adjacent lanes, he added.

"It is common sense for one to get his or her passport stamped upon crossing the Causeway," said another immigration officer at the
Immigration of Johor State headquarters.

"Just like Singapore, you need to get your passport stamped before you enter the country; if not, you will be arrested... so it is the same procedure in Malaysia," said the officer, who declined to be named.

Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Yahoosg) and become a fan on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/yahoosingaporenewsroom).

kskong2000
15-06-11, 13:15
I strongly agree with acidic.straw...
Lets cut off from Malaysia by the following ways:
1) Stop drinking water as most of the water from Malaysia
2) Stop eating vege and meat as most of the food imported from Malaysia
3) Fire all factory worker, low skill worker and even white collar managment personel as many of them are Malaysian
4) Lets go to indonesia, india or phillipine instead of Malaysia..or dig a hole in Bukit timah hill and hide inside..

I think you can keep your pride and dignity by doing so....:tongue3:

kingkong1984
15-06-11, 13:17
mutual gain lah. Prosper thy neighbour, prosper thyselves. Peace~

ysyap
15-06-11, 13:32
Here is just one of the many disputes between the two countries over the last many many years lah! No big deal... it will be over in no time! :p

kskong2000
15-06-11, 13:54
it is true that it is not a big deal. it can happen any place and any country. what is this to do with the pride and dignity. W/o singaporean/singapore, JB is a dead town. W/o Malaysia/Malaysian, Singapore wont be so successful...This is just one off incident

With globalisation, nobody can say they dont deal with/go to specific country or ppl..

Even suzhou industry park was eaten by PRC government, can singapore government stop import chinese worker or going to china to do business...

Go out to have a walk, dont just stay at home...

acidic.straw
15-06-11, 14:06
I strongly agree with acidic.straw...
Lets cut off from Malaysia by the following ways:
1) Stop drinking water as most of the water from Malaysia
2) Stop eating vege and meat as most of the food imported from Malaysia
3) Fire all factory worker, low skill worker and even white collar managment personel as many of them are Malaysian
4) Lets go to indonesia, india or phillipine instead of Malaysia..or dig a hole in Bukit timah hill and hide inside..

I think you can keep your pride and dignity by doing so....:tongue3:

Steady la fren...no need to be sarcastic.....just need to rant becos at the end of the day, our neighbour will continue to do as they please :banghead:

hopeful
15-06-11, 15:06
The girl's side of story:

Why don't the authorities replicate the incident?
green light, press intercom, does the barrier opened?

1) yes. then it is computer system fault and immigration officer fault for leaving station unattended.

2) no. if barrier didn't opened, how can car pass through the barrier?

2.1) if barrier not opened but can be opened from other stations or some other overrides, then it is "human error" on Malaysian side to override controls.

2.2) if barrier cannot be opened by other stations or overriden, then it must have been opened by somebody hiding inside that station or a "glitch".

Check video feeds, before and after that car.

irisng
15-06-11, 21:22
I think I had ever heard of a group of Singaporeans went to Malaysia together but the custom didn't stamp the passports for them and they also never checked, so on their way back to Malaysia, when they handed their passports to the customs for retun chop, they were accused of being entered the Malaysia illegally. They were detained for 1 night. Could this be a trap, how could the customs never stamp the passports when they were given to them over the counters. :confused:

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law also like to go to Malaysia for supper in the middle of the night, they said no jam.:tsk-tsk:

Once we went to KL, passed by Kluang to have our lunch. We had 4 cars, 3 cars parked at the parking lots but without coupons and 1 car parked illegally (ie without parking lot). After finished our lunch, we realised that the 3 cars with parking lots got fined while the other car without parking lot didn't get fine. Funny right? My brother-in-law gave some money to the man and all was settled. No hassle of going to the police station. :sleep:

I think the 2 ladies are inexperienced, they never expect it to be so serious. I also never expect it to be so serious, the very most is detained for 1 night or fined but never know that they were treated like a criminal, so ridiculous. :simmering:

hopeful
15-06-11, 22:17
I think I had ever heard of a group of Singaporeans went to Malaysia together but the custom didn't stamp the passports for them and they also never checked, so on their way back to Malaysia, when they handed their passports to the customs for retun chop, they were accused of being entered the Malaysia illegally. They were detained for 1 night. Could this be a trap, how could the customs never stamp the passports when they were given to them over the counters. :confused:

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law also like to go to Malaysia for supper in the middle of the night, they said no jam.:tsk-tsk:

Once we went to KL, passed by Kluang to have our lunch. We had 4 cars, 3 cars parked at the parking lots but without coupons and 1 car parked illegally (ie without parking lot). After finished our lunch, we realised that the 3 cars with parking lots got fined while the other car without parking lot didn't get fine. Funny right? My brother-in-law gave some money to the man and all was settled. No hassle of going to the police station. :sleep:

I think the 2 ladies are inexperienced, they never expect it to be so serious. I also never expect it to be so serious, the very most is detained for 1 night or fined but never know that they were treated like a criminal, so ridiculous. :simmering:

if only they had paid the RM10000. then everything ok. They better learn some street smarts. Govt officials only want money. Perhaps they act so arrogant, try to argue their way through instead of negotiating....

irisng
15-06-11, 22:38
if only they had paid the RM10000. then everything ok. They better learn some street smarts. Govt officials only want money. Perhaps they act so arrogant, try to argue their way through instead of negotiating....

Quoted : "Ms Chang said that at about noon last Thursday, an officer told them they would have to pay a fine of RM3,000 (S$1,200) each before they could be let off. Another officer had earlier said they could be fined up to RM10,000 and jailed for five years for illegally entering Malaysia. 'We agreed to pay because we wanted to get it done once and for all,' said Ms Chang.
The women said they signed a statement that was written in Malay, and asked to be taken to an ATM. They waited for three hours but no one came for them. By then, their phones had been taken away."

They said they are willing to pay the fine but no one came to take them to the ATM machine.:scared-2:

ysyap
15-06-11, 22:59
Quoted : "Ms Chang said that at about noon last Thursday, an officer told them they would have to pay a fine of RM3,000 (S$1,200) each before they could be let off. Another officer had earlier said they could be fined up to RM10,000 and jailed for five years for illegally entering Malaysia. 'We agreed to pay because we wanted to get it done once and for all,' said Ms Chang.
The women said they signed a statement that was written in Malay, and asked to be taken to an ATM. They waited for three hours but no one came for them. By then, their phones had been taken away."

They said they are willing to pay the fine but no one came to take them to the ATM machine.:scared-2:Nothing was mentioned about what the 2 ladies have signed which was in malay! Hmmm... maybe an agreement that they will be in prison custody? Hmmm... :spliff2:

wenqing
16-06-11, 09:55
Ask former Foreign Minister George Yeo to seek justice for the 2 ladies.

Since GY's supporters always boast and claim how GY contributed to Singapore at diplomatic circles and world stage.

GY is very influential at world level.

:D :D :D :D

proud owner
16-06-11, 10:20
Ask former Foreign Minister George Yeo to seek justice for the 2 ladies.

Since GY's supporters always boast and claim how GY contributed to Singapore at diplomatic circles and world stage.

GY is very influential at world level.

:D :D :D :D

i am just thinking to myself ...

if this incident had happened in say ...in say ... ang moh countries ...

will they still complain ?
will they be made to do more than squatting .?

will the reaction from singaporeans be the same ?

i always feel many singaporeans , including the govt ..still have that colonism (right spelling?) in them ... maybe if it had been an ang moh country, it would have been a very different reaction altogether

wenqing
16-06-11, 11:31

i always feel many singaporeans , including the govt ..still have that colonism (right spelling?) in them ... maybe if it had been an ang moh country, it would have been a very different reaction altogether

Hard to say.

I have seen Internet articles from blogs, forums, FB comments etc about Singaporeans complaining about trips to Europe, USA, Japan, Africa, Australia, SEA etc and vice versa.

PAP also constantly critcise governments with 2-party gridlocked governments from other countries at elections but after elections visit and praise these same gridlocked parliament nations aka George Yeo visiting Taiwan and praising Taiwan systems, infrastructure and people.

But the difference is none made it to Yahoo or MSM thats all.

ysyap
17-06-11, 22:20
JB officials suspended as M'sian probe continues

By Jeanette Tan (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/author/jeanette-tan/;_ylt=Ah6vBjMjPFsdQneSo6QsQ2H.Vsd_;_ylu=X3oDMTBuNTJsanQ2BHBvcwMxBHNlYwNNZWRpYUJsb2dIZWFk;_ylg=X3oDMTJuNjIwNWpkBGludGwDc2cEbGFuZwNlbi1zZwRwc3RhaWQDYzNmY2JmZDgtNmVjZC0zNzYzLTg1NGUtN2VhOGMzNDIzOWEwBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=3) | SingaporeScene (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/;_ylt=An1e8gLitkQXq.Ilmuf8KGz.Vsd_;_ylu=X3oDMTBuaG9yNDJpBHBvcwMyBHNlYwNNZWRpYUJsb2dIZWFk;_ylg=X3oDMTJuNjIwNWpkBGludGwDc2cEbGFuZwNlbi1zZwRwc3RhaWQDYzNmY2JmZDgtNmVjZC0zNzYzLTg1NGUtN2VhOGMzNDIzOWEwBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=3) – Tue, Jun 14, 2011

tweet (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/_social/share/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fporean-women-file-complaint-against-m-sian-immigration-133629510.html&text=JB%20officials%20suspended%20as%20M'sian%20probe%20continues%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News&via=yahoosg&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fporean-women-file-complaint-against-m-sian-immigration-133629510.html&lang=en&action=retweet)38 (http://twitter.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fporean-women-file-complaint-against-m-sian-immigration-133629510.html)
Email (http://mtf.news.yahoo.com/mailto/?prop=news&locale=sg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fporean-women-file-complaint-against-m-sian-immigration-133629510.html&title=JB%20officials%20suspended%20as%20M'sian%20probe%20continues%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News)
Print (javascript:window.print();)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/g.gpIPJpmYnhXcuYOzI8Mg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTU1MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-SG/blogs/singaporescene/causeway.jpg Two JB officials have been suspended as investigations continue into the case of two Singaporean women who were …

By Jeanette Tan and Faris Mokhtar
UPDATE

Two officials at the Johor Bahru Immigration Office have been suspended, pending the completion of Home Ministry investigations into the alleged mistreatment of two Singaporean women last Thursday.

Malaysian immigration director-general Alias Ahmad told reporters that the seven-man multi-agency panel headed to Johor to commence their investigation.

He said that the committee has been instructed to complete their probe within five days, and submit their findings and recommendations in a report to the Immigration Department.

Alias stressed, however, that the pair's detention was legal, as the women had violated Malaysia's immigration laws by not passing through the biometric fingerprint system checks.

The duo, who remain known only as Ms Lim and Ms Chang, have since said that they will be submitting written statements of their experience to Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AjDQwhpGLUcgmzE8qQQXWHr.Vsd_;_ylu=X3oDMTBuYzdsYmhoBHBvcwMxBHNlYwNNZWRpYUJsb2dCb2R5;_ylg=X3oDMTJuNjIwNWpkBGludGwDc2cEbGFuZwNlbi1zZwRwc3RhaWQDYzNmY2JmZDgtNmVjZC0zNzYzLTg1NGUtN2VhOGMzNDIzOWEwBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=0/SIG=13h8hmr4m/EXP=1309529652/**http%3A//sg.search.yahoo.com/search%3Fp=ministry%2Bof%2Bforeign%2Baffairs%26fr=fp-today%26cs=bz) today, reported The Straits
Times.

Correspondingly, the MFA said in a statement that it would closely monitor the outcome of the investigation, as well as assist with handing the women's written statements to the Malaysian High Commission in Singapore.

The spokesperson said on Tuesday that its consulate in Johor Bahru has also contacted the Malaysian immigration authorities to inquire on the immigration and detention procedures that the Singaporean women were subjected to.

"Hopefully this will help the Malaysian investigators to come to a quick conclusion," the statement said.

Ms Chang, an insurance company manager, said that she planned to take legal action, albeit not having consulted a lawyer yet. Her companion, a real estate agent, planned to drop the matter after lodging a formal complaint.

"If I want to sue, I will have to enter Malaysia to go for the hearing, and I do not want to step in there anymore," she said.

On Wednesday, Malaysia's Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein ordered an investigation into the matter, telling reporters that an inquiry
committee had been formed, consisting of representatives from the police, prisons, immigration and detention centre departments.

"We have to get to the bottom of this," he said after a parliamentary session.

Alias said that the committee will determine whether or not the detention centre officers followed proper procedures, and may recommend changes to the standard operating procedure if necessary.

"We want to resolve this quickly, to show that we're serious about this case," he said."Be fair to us. The inquiry team has been formed. Let them do their job."

He maintained, however, that the officer involved in the incident had followed the standard operating procedure of conducting a full-body check at the detention centre.

"How the check is conducted is up to the discretion of the officer," he added.

Malaysian tourism minister Datuk Seri Ng Yen Yen said that the case is "not a small issue", and that anything that affects public perception of the country with regard to its hospitality is a serious one, according to AsiaOne News.

"The officials must be taken to task if they are found to have broken the rules," she said, when the issue was raised at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.

"One shouldn't be asked to do nude squats at all unless you have an absolute reason for suspicion. And it must be done with proper supervision," she added.

"We are an international player so we must make sure things are done the right way."

Last week, Ms Lim and Ms Chang drove across the Causeway for early morning supper without getting their passports stamped.

They had driven into a lane that was not manned and as it was their first time experiencing the new biometric scanner (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AgNtAZhToAr8vtQ1imCdxBv.Vsd_;_ylu=X3oDMTBuNW9sanFvBHBvcwMyBHNlYwNNZWRpYUJsb2dCb2R5;_ylg=X3oDMTJuNjIwNWpkBGludGwDc2cEbGFuZwNlbi1zZwRwc3RhaWQDYzNmY2JmZDgtNmVjZC0zNzYzLTg1NGUtN2VhOGMzNDIzOWEwBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=0/SIG=13p9i8f7o/EXP=1309529652/**http%3A//sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/system-causes-long-delays-jb-checkpoints-050832546.html) at the counter, Lim used the intercom and tried to ask another officer for help.

Both waited at the counter for five minutes before they decided to move on as Lim thought that there would be another counter for them to scan their fingers, but after they passed through, they realised there would not be one.

Shortly after they realised their mistake, they returned to the customs checkpoint but were subsequently sent to a nearby detention centre, and ordered to strip and do squats in the nude.

Both women were detained in a locked, crowded room until 5pm the next day and were initally asked to pay a fine of RM6,000 (S$2,440). They were eventually let off with a stern warning.

Since the issue was reported by the media, it has sparked outrage among Singaporeans and Malaysians alike, with some questioning the standard procedures that detainees are subjected to by the immigration authorities in Malaysia.

ysyap
17-06-11, 22:21

i always feel many singaporeans , including the govt ..still have that colonism (right spelling?) in them ... maybe if it had been an ang moh country, it would have been a very different reaction altogetherSingapore govt may not give face to ang mohs too! Remember Michael Fay. Only give a bit of face to Bill Clinton then! Maybe still give face after all!!! Hahaha! :spliff:

marktkt22
27-06-11, 12:48
Pardon my language, it plain silly 2 young ladies went to jb at wee hour
They could jolly well be raped and killed.
If u can afford a new latio, u can pay for carwash.
They deserved it, period.