PDA

View Full Version : George Yeo running for President?

land118
01-06-11, 21:03
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1132540/1/.html
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/shim.gif George Yeo running for President?
By Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid | Posted: 01 June 2011 1611 hrs

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/imagegallery/store/phpeEBeLw.jpg

SINGAPORE: Former minister for foreign affairs George Yeo said he is thinking hard about running for the Presidential Election.

Writing on Wednesday on his Facebook page, Mr Yeo said he is "praying for wisdom".

He also indicated many Singaporeans had asked him to reconsider his decision.

Mr Yeo had previously said he did not have the temperament to become President.

When contacted, Mr Yeo declined comment, only saying that he will "leave it as it is for the time being".

The Elections Department on Wednesday distributed seven certificates of eligibility for the Presidential Elections.

First to pick up the forms was seventy-year-old Ooi Boon Ewe.

Mr Ooi failed in his bid to contest the recent General Election as an independent candidate.

He said he has resigned as chairman of his political party -- the People's Liberal Democratic Party -- in order to run for President.

Meanwhile, former People's Action Party (PAP) Member of Parliament (MP) Tan Cheng Bock also collected his certificate of eligibility.

Dr Tan said he would go back to his roots to rally support, and intends to carry out walkabouts at his former ward of Ayer Rajah, which he describes as his "base camp".

He said he came personally to collect the forms along with supporters to show he is serious about contesting the Presidential Election.

Dr Tan said he believes Singaporeans should vote for a presidential candidate based on individual merit.

"I would prefer that people take a deep analysis of the individual candidate, irrespective of his (past) party," Dr Tan said.

"I will lose some votes maybe because of my past association with PAP. But that's all in the game, it's ok.

"If they don't like me because I belong to the PAP, they are free not to elect me. But I want to believe that Singaporeans generally would assess me on a slightly different view."

Another person who collected two sets of forms on Wednesday was Mr Martin Lee, who said he was collecting them on behalf of his friend, an entrepreneur in his 50's whose surname is also "Lee".

Mr Martin Lee gave little away, adding that the person is from the private sector, who fulfils all the eligibility criteria for President.

The Elections Department also saw many who came to restore their names on the Registers of Electors after failing to vote in the recent General Election.

One of them was famous water-colour artist Ong Kim Seng, who said he wishes "his good friend" -- current President SR Nathan -- would run for President again.

-CNA/wk

land118
01-06-11, 21:06
Tan Cheng Bock and George Yeo, both ex PAP...., wonder if anyone else would stand for this..?

rattydrama
01-06-11, 21:30
maybe PAP asked George Yeo to counter Tan Cheng Bock? Tan Cheng Bock is very popular to people who know him. He is a very passionate person, I know he even let his not so rich patient O-Dang $ in his Lim Chu Kang clinic or maybe now he is still practicing in his Jurong West Clinic?

ysyap
01-06-11, 21:50
If GY reverses his earlier decision not to run for presidency of the republic, then many Singaporeans will surely flock to restore the pride he totally lost during the recent GE... :D

sh
01-06-11, 22:17
the question is who will stand out more against PAP as president?:beats-me-man:

The president is supposed to the a check and balance against the garment.:tongue3:

devilplate
01-06-11, 22:20
Looks like tan gona b our president liao:cheers6:

Wild Falcon
01-06-11, 22:23
May not. If he loses twice, that must be the greatest humiliation in one's lifetime. If he can't even win the likes of Chen Show Mao and Low Thia Khiang as a mere MP for Aljunied, he shouldn't be too confident of winning the Presidential election - a higher post. Remember, President is supposed to a "check and balance" and GY has always been viewed as a Yes man in parliament who hardly voiced out against anything.

In short, there might be some sympathy votes since he lost his job and million dollar pay but most Singaporeans will vote rationally.

If GY reverses his earlier decision not to run for presidency of the republic, then many Singaporeans will surely flock to restore the pride he totally lost during the recent GE... :D

ysyap
01-06-11, 22:28
May not. If he loses twice, that must be the greatest humiliation in one's lifetime. If he can't even win the likes of Chen Show Mao and Low Thia Khiang as a mere MP for Aljunied, he shouldn't be too confident of winning the Presidential election - a higher post. Remember, President is supposed to a "check and balance" and GY has always been viewed as a Yes man in parliament who hardly voiced out against anything.

In short, there might be some sympathy votes since he lost his job and million dollar pay but most Singaporeans will vote rationally.What is higher post??? Its a totally different post... none of the candidates stand out distinctly... GY has Aljunied GRC to prove his passion and its there for all to see... President needs to be compassionate... no need to be so much into policy making but need to relate more with the people... :) Also must look at his opponents... Well, if GY loses in presidential election, then its double lost for him... indeed rather embarrassing!!! :scared-4:

Wild Falcon
01-06-11, 22:31
A President is a higher post than an MP lah - however u wanna spin it. An MP only gets $15k per month. President is $4 million leh. GY has Aljunied GRC to "prove" what? That he cannot relate to the people of Aljunied? He lost leh which means it's not good enough. So someone who is not good enough to serve the people of Aljunied is good enough to be President of Singapore? I'm not saying he will lose - but he shouldn't be over-confident.

What is higher post??? Its a totally different post... none of the candidates stand out distinctly... GY has Aljunied GRC to prove his passion and its there for all to see... President needs to be compassionate... no need to be so much into policy making but need to relate more with the people... :) Also must look at his opponents... Well, if GY loses in presidential election, then its double lost for him... indeed rather embarrassing!!! :scared-4:

Antione
01-06-11, 22:41
GY should study the profile of his "supporters" before he decide to run for president. It may be biased to certain group of people. Sometimes people get carried away thinking the support is unanimous. President represents all of Singapore - across all race, religion and political beliefs.

land118
01-06-11, 22:43
Hope there will at least be a truely independent candidate so that we get a 3 corner fight tis time....

GY may get some sympathy votes and if he become President, effectively he get pay increase...., but Tan CB indeed has got good record and I also heard that he has been kind to patients that he treats in his clinic

land118
01-06-11, 22:47
Recall this call by WP Pritam Singh in recent GE rally:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/wp-pritam-not-interested-killing-tigers-204216775.html

WP’s Pritam Singh: George Yeo as President

Workers' Party (WP) Aljunied GRC 'A team' member Pritam Singh says the party is "not looking to kill any tigers" during this election.
During his rally speech at Yishun stadium on Sunday evening, Pritam responded to Foreign Minister George Yeo's wife, Jennifer, who said on Facebook that "who dares to kill her tiger would have to deal with her".
He also hit back at Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong's comments, that the quality of the government will go down if Mr Yeo were to lose the election.
"It is as if George Yeo, like all the tigers around the world, is being treated as an endangered species," said the post-graduate law student.
"I promise you that the Workers' Party is not interested in killing any tigers... I would not be so worried about George Yeo. In the next few months, Singapore will host another election -- the presidential election," he told the estimated 10,000-strong crowd
"I strongly recommend that George Yeo contest in the presidential election. In that way, George Yeo can still be part of the government and SM Goh can relax," he said to loud applause.
Since Pritam's suggestion, several "George Yeo for President" pages have sprouted up on Facebook. One already has over 1,100 likes.

ysyap
01-06-11, 22:50
A President is a higher post than an MP lah - however u wanna spin it. An MP only gets $15k per month. President is $4 million leh. GY has Aljunied GRC to "prove" what? That he cannot relate to the people of Aljunied? He lost leh which means it's not good enough. So someone who is not good enough to serve the people of Aljunied is good enough to be President of Singapore? I'm not saying he will lose - but he shouldn't be over-confident.Many people agreed that he did a good job as a minister so can 'prove' his credential lah.. you should know that he's just in the way of that A team from WP. This A team will literally slaughter any other PAP ministers in their way if they contest in nearly any other GRC lah.. it's just that its Aljunied... anyway people had no problem with GY... its the other members in his team that got the negative lime light! Yes he shouldn't be over confident...

Cannot look at the post as higher post although it commands more in terms of many respect than an MP or even a minister. It is non-political in nature. President represents Singapore but when it comes to political issues, its the ministers... :D

BillyCutie
01-06-11, 23:02
Many people agreed that he did a good job as a minister so can 'prove' his credential lah.. you should know that he's just in the way of that A team from WP. This A team will literally slaughter any other PAP ministers in their way if they contest in nearly any other GRC lah.. it's just that its Aljunied... anyway people had no problem with GY... its the other members in his team that got the negative lime light! Yes he shouldn't be over confident...

Cannot look at the post as higher post although it commands more in terms of many respect than an MP or even a minister. It is non-political in nature. President represents Singapore but when it comes to political issues, its the ministers... :D

When I learned Tan Cheng Bock running for presidency, I thought what a half-PAP man who is very close to GCT. Something is brewing.... Now comes George, a full PAP man... more brewing behind

Surely, Singaporeans are smarter to see through these.

ysyap
01-06-11, 23:07
When I learned Tan Cheng Bock running for presidency, I thought what a half-PAP man who is very close to GCT. Something is brewing.... Now comes George, a full PAP man... more brewing behind

Surely, Singaporeans are smarter to see through these.hahaha.... but president by tradition, never even participate in country's policy making... :spliff:

land118
01-06-11, 23:10

Surely, Singaporeans are smarter to see through these.
Hmm, some important constitution that need new President to amend and change?

BillyCutie
01-06-11, 23:16
hahaha.... but president by tradition, never even participate in country's policy making... :spliff:

The type of presidents Singaporeans had - were dictated by PAP choice. So they were the "tradition". I hope time has changed for a more independent figure head. Even if he doesn't participate in policy making, he can be more impactful in uniting Singaporeans.

I think PAP is damn worried now... no time to fan off opposition parties in the next 5 years and now one more hot seat sitting on top of them.

land118
01-06-11, 23:21
The type of presidents Singaporeans had - were dictated by PAP choice. So they were the "tradition". I hope time has changed for a more independent figure head. Even if he doesn't participate in policy making, he can be more impactful in uniting Singaporeans.

I think PAP is damn worried now... no time to fan off opposition parties in the next 5 years and now one more hot seat sitting on top of them.
Which scenario is better for PAP:

1. 2 ex PAP candidate vs 1 independent candidate OR

2. 1 ex PAP candidate vs 1 independent candidate

Maybe best scenario is

2 ex PAP candidates against each other ...:D

BillyCutie
01-06-11, 23:28
Which scenario is better for PAP:

1. 2 ex PAP candidate vs 1 independent candidate OR

2. 1 ex PAP candidate vs 1 independent candidate

Maybe best scenario is

2 ex PAP candidates against each other ...:D

Hello, friend. 2 ex PAP against each other means all singaporeans lose and PAP wins - becos both are planted. Got it ?

2 ex PAP vs 1 independent means PAP diffusing votes. Independent will get much lesser in 3 parties fight than 2. Got it ? Got it?

Andrew76
01-06-11, 23:37
PAP linked candidate, Singaporean lose? Non PAP linked candidate Singaporean win? What kind of weird logic is that?

BillyCutie
02-06-11, 00:02
PAP linked candidate, Singaporean lose? Non PAP linked candidate Singaporean win? What kind of weird logic is that?

The president holds the 2nd key and suppose to check and balance. So it calls for independency. For the good of Singapore, ideally he should not be PAP-linked to be effective check.

How can he check if he is endorsed by the government, put in by the government? Simple logic, no rocket science.

Andrew76
02-06-11, 08:46
Agree with the logic that the president is to check on the govt. But how does one determine if a candidate is "independent"? :beats-me-man: cos going by that logic, would a opp-linked candidate more suitable? does the fact that a candidate used to be from any party means he cannot be "independent"?

land118
02-06-11, 09:32
1 signal from the ruling party on who they are support, or even any hint from a Minister on some good words on a particular candidate will at least garner some min. 75% of all civil servants and GLC, NTUC staff related votes already..., 1/2 the battle is won..., so what do you think. So if you are an ex ruling party member, surely you want your former Boss to endorse you, because u have 1 leg in the hot seat already if he say say..., so win how? Must say thank you to your Supporter/s right.., then next day "takan" them? unlikely..... certainly not with GY. My thought, you may beg to differ.

Unfortunately, normally, voters are left with 1 choice or maybe 2 choice, so many of us effectively will just go with 1 of them..., don't think many of us treat this as important as the GE in the past because we all know it ain't going to make much difference.

Andrew76
02-06-11, 10:03
Frank comment. Though the same could be said of a candidate cavorted by the opp or any party. This is politics and any candidate that says he is truly independent I would take his words with a pinch of salt. What really matters is not his political affiliation but what he would do for Singaporeans as a whole. Will he dare to check on the govt if he finds something fishy? Can he represent singapore competently on the world stage? Or will he be one who only knows how to sing govt.'s praises without thinking or the reverse, criticize the govt for the sake of criticizing? Anyway this is my view only and u can have yr own views.

Wild Falcon
02-06-11, 10:10
WP said that because GY made the election about him losing his million dollar FM job and looking sad half the time. So they gave him a "consolation" like oh even if u lose, can still continue to earn millions by being President. It was said in jest lah

Recall this call by WP Pritam Singh in recent GE rally:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/wp-pritam-not-interested-killing-tigers-204216775.html

WP’s Pritam Singh: George Yeo as President

Workers' Party (WP) Aljunied GRC 'A team' member Pritam Singh says the party is "not looking to kill any tigers" during this election.
During his rally speech at Yishun stadium on Sunday evening, Pritam responded to Foreign Minister George Yeo's wife, Jennifer, who said on Facebook that "who dares to kill her tiger would have to deal with her".
He also hit back at Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong's comments, that the quality of the government will go down if Mr Yeo were to lose the election.
"It is as if George Yeo, like all the tigers around the world, is being treated as an endangered species," said the post-graduate law student.
"I promise you that the Workers' Party is not interested in killing any tigers... I would not be so worried about George Yeo. In the next few months, Singapore will host another election -- the presidential election," he told the estimated 10,000-strong crowd
"I strongly recommend that George Yeo contest in the presidential election. In that way, George Yeo can still be part of the government and SM Goh can relax," he said to loud applause.
Since Pritam's suggestion, several "George Yeo for President" pages have sprouted up on Facebook. One already has over 1,100 likes.

land118
02-06-11, 10:14
WP said that because GY made the election about him losing his million dollar FM job and looking sad half the time. So they gave him a "consolation" like oh even if u lose, can still continue to earn millions by being President. It was said in jest lah Ya, the "jest" may become true....kinda of soul searching by GY. Maybe this is Not the case of "no fish, prawn also better", but "no prawn, fish lagi best!". :D

Wild Falcon
02-06-11, 10:15
"Many people say" he did a good job? Maybe you can give some examples of his great accomplishments? I'm not aware of his accomplishments or him speaking up much during parliament. Bear in mind when his was Health Minister, he was the one who radically reduce the intake of medical students such that we have to import as many foreign doctors today who cannot communicate with our elderly. Also, the mass import of foreigners during his reign as trade and foreign minister. And also some of his speeches smack of elitism. He manage to stay under the radar - but his accomplishments is nothing sterling.

GY lost in his precinct with below-average score. Stop blaming his team members. In fact, the Malay MP and the new Chinese MP brought up the average score at Aljunied. Without the other 2, he would have lost even more.

But would be very interesting if he runs for Presidency. So we have one PAP endorsed candidate (GY), one ex-PAP and unendorsed candidate (TCB) and who else?

Many people agreed that he did a good job as a minister so can 'prove' his credential lah.. you should know that he's just in the way of that A team from WP. This A team will literally slaughter any other PAP ministers in their way if they contest in nearly any other GRC lah.. it's just that its Aljunied... anyway people had no problem with GY... its the other members in his team that got the negative lime light! Yes he shouldn't be over confident...

land118
02-06-11, 10:27
Latest news, GY still member of CEC. Interestingly, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua also...Think GY wants to run for President, he should step down from this appointment, maybe in the 1st place he should have decline this...if indeed he wants to run for President..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1132529/1/.html

"The other members of the CEC are Mr Goh Chok Tong, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, Mr Wong Kan Seng, Mr George Yeo, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Ms Indarenee Rajah and Mr Teo Ser Luck"

stl67
02-06-11, 10:33
Latest news, GY still member of CEC. Interestingly, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua also...Think GY wants to run for President, he should step down from this appointment, maybe in the 1st place he should have decline this...if indeed he wants to run for President..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1132529/1/.html

"The other members of the CEC are Mr Goh Chok Tong, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, Mr Wong Kan Seng, Mr George Yeo, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Ms Indarenee Rajah and Mr Teo Ser Luck"

What does CEC do? Not very well verse on this.

land118
02-06-11, 10:39
What does CEC do? Not very well verse on this.

People's Action Party's new central executive committee (CEC)

http://www.facebook.com/notes/peoples-action-party/new-central-executive-committee-cec-line-up-for-pap/227862597225148?ref=mf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Action_Party

DAVID
02-06-11, 15:12
Not comfortable having GY as president. He doesn't come across as a tough guy who dare to question the PAP (his former party). Tan Cheng Bock looks like a better bet.

wenqing
07-06-11, 02:37
http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?91551-George-Yeo-Warning-To-Nicole-Seah-and-Peasant-Voters-RESPECT-ME-OR-ELSE

George Yeo's Past Kena Digged Up !!!

The tone last time and the now like very different.

Last time damn YAYA sia.

Now like more desperate to keep job and pay his multiple house loans.

DEBATE YES, BUT DO NOT TAKE ON THOSE IN AUTHORITY AS "EQUALS'.
147th Singapore Prostitute Press
20 February 1995

REMEMBER your place in society before you engage in political debate, said Information and the Arts Minister George Yeo yesterday.

Debate cannot degenerate into a free-for-all where no distinction is made between the senior and junior party, or what the Hokkiens describe as "boh tua, boh suay".

"You must make distinctions - what is high, what is low, what is above, what is below - and then within this, we can have a debate, we can have a discussion," he added.

Speaking to reporters at the end of his Moulmein tour on the parameters of debate, an issue sparked off by the Catherine Lim controversy, he made it clear that people should not take on those in authority as "equals".

The Prime Minister responded to writer Catherine Lim for her article on his governing style because her tone showed disrespect for authority.

Brig-Gen (NS) Yeo recalled that in 1991, the National Trades Union Congress raised a rumpus when Straits Times columnist Sumiko Tan criticised then union-MP Goh Chee Wee for his speech in Parliament.

Mr Goh felt that Miss Tan was "wagging her finger at him", he said.

Likewise, during last year's Budget debate, Parliament took issue with ST columnist Cherian George for his comments on the Speaker's handling of the guillotine.

"He had no right to speak to the Speaker as an equal."

Pointing to a more recent example, he noted that the judiciary responded when American academic Christopher Lingle took "pot shots" at it in an article he wrote in the International Herald Tribune.

He added: "This is not to say that MPs, ministers, Speakers or judges cannot be criticised ... They ought to be criticised if they are wrong but it should always be done in a way which doesn't tear the social fabric."

He said that these individuals did not arrogate to themselves the right to receive respect: MPs were elected while judges were appointed in a solemn ceremony.

Turning to examples abroad, he said the British monarchy had fallen into disrepute because newspapers criticise the royals to increase circulation. But the Thais threw those who criticised the monarchy into prison.

"Every society creates immune systems to defend its own key organs and we must have the immune system in Singapore. Otherwise, by slow increments, we allow these organs to be infected and degraded. And that is not good for us, it is not good for the health of whole society."

-------------------------------------------------

'If you are not of a certain economic class, you should not even think of going there. You should confine yourself to 4D, Toto or horse racing.' George Yeo's order to Singaporeans to gamble on "low class" horse racing and Toto which are more suited to their peasant class-status in society and not on high-class casinos meant for the Singapore's higher classes...."If your chips are down, you're out", 147th Prostitute Press, 17 March 2004

Last edited by PTADER; Today at 07:28 PM.

kingkong1984
07-06-11, 02:50
It's normal, everyone needs pride. If successful, it's actuaaly a blessing.

wenqing
08-06-11, 00:05
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=55631073
Browse

(http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=55631073Browse) > Home / Media Articles / Sacrifice votes or economy? No contest
Sacrifice votes or economy? No contest
October 20, 2008 by admin

ST link

Keeping the economy humming is more important than fretting over whether votes will be lost.

Foreign Minister George Yeo gave this response yesterday when asked if the unpopular decision to house foreign workers in Serangoon Gardens would affect political support for his Aljunied GRC team.

Speaking to The Sunday Times on the sidelines of a Hari Raya grassroots dinner, Mr Yeo said: ‘The important thing is to do what is right. You cannot always be worried about votes.’

He explained that the economy needs foreign workers and Singaporeans should understand these constraints.

‘When the economy goes down and people’s lives are affected… surely that must be politically more costly to the Government,’ he said.

Plans to convert the former Serangoon Gardens Technical School at Burghley Drive into a dormitory for foreign workers made headlines last month, with residents meeting their MPs and signing a petition.

The Government has since decided to go ahead with the dormitory but said it would accommodate some of the residents’ concerns, including the construction of a new access road from the Central Expressway to Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1.

However, other residents living near the new access road became unhappy.
In response, the Ministry of National Development announced last week that it would work with the dormitory operator to arrange for buses to pick up and drop off workers within the dormitory’s premises.

Trees and shrubs near the access road will also be planted to shield the dormitory from surrounding houses.

Acknowledging that there are a handful of residents who are still upset, Mr Yeo pointed out that the ministry had already gone out of its way to accommodate residents.

He said: ‘There’s got to be a certain tolerance so long as their concerns are addressed…We all have our preferences about what should be in our neighbourhood and we can’t have all our wishes.

‘A decision has been taken, requests have been made, whatever could be accommodated is accommodated. I think on the whole, it’s a good compromise.’ (compromise.’[email protected])

[email protected]

land118
08-06-11, 00:45
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=55631073
Browse

(http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=55631073Browse) > Home / Media Articles / Sacrifice votes or economy? No contest
Sacrifice votes or economy? No contest
October 20, 2008 by admin

ST link

Keeping the economy humming is more important than fretting over whether votes will be lost.

Foreign Minister George Yeo gave this response yesterday when asked if the unpopular decision to house foreign workers in Serangoon Gardens would affect political support for his Aljunied GRC team.

Speaking to The Sunday Times on the sidelines of a Hari Raya grassroots dinner, Mr Yeo said: ‘The important thing is to do what is right. You cannot always be worried about votes.’

He explained that the economy needs foreign workers and Singaporeans should understand these constraints.

‘When the economy goes down and people’s lives are affected… surely that must be politically more costly to the Government,’ he said.

Plans to convert the former Serangoon Gardens Technical School at Burghley Drive into a dormitory for foreign workers made headlines last month, with residents meeting their MPs and signing a petition.

The Government has since decided to go ahead with the dormitory but said it would accommodate some of the residents’ concerns, including the construction of a new access road from the Central Expressway to Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1.

However, other residents living near the new access road became unhappy.
In response, the Ministry of National Development announced last week that it would work with the dormitory operator to arrange for buses to pick up and drop off workers within the dormitory’s premises.

Trees and shrubs near the access road will also be planted to shield the dormitory from surrounding houses.

Acknowledging that there are a handful of residents who are still upset, Mr Yeo pointed out that the ministry had already gone out of its way to accommodate residents.

He said: ‘There’s got to be a certain tolerance so long as their concerns are addressed…We all have our preferences about what should be in our neighbourhood and we can’t have all our wishes.

‘A decision has been taken, requests have been made, whatever could be accommodated is accommodated. I think on the whole, it’s a good compromise.’ (compromise.’[email protected])

[email protected] paid a heavy price for this for not engaging the residents. Mrs LHH got the lowest among the 5 in the GRC in a predominantly private estate of Serangoon division which suppose to be normally pro PAP. Very strange, but it 's true...., residents not being consulted before decision is made and they showed it in GE

hyenergix
08-06-11, 05:46
Tuas, Pasir Ris, Woodlands all have plenty of land to build workers dormitories. Not sure why the government wanted to build one in the middle of Singapore amidst landed properties.

ysyap
11-06-11, 07:52
Just read somewhere that someone picked up the presidential eligibility form for Mr Chiam See Tong.... :scared-4:

linchong84
11-06-11, 10:07
Just read somewhere that someone picked up the presidential eligibility form for Mr Chiam See Tong.... :scared-4:

President needs to attend a lot a lot a lot of events/functions and talk to a lot of people.. Old chiam can't even stand straight, can't even talk properly liao, how to be president???

ysyap
11-06-11, 12:21
Maybe that's why he just responded today that its highly unlikely he'll run for presidency!!! :D

ysyap
12-06-11, 17:10
Chiam See Tong clarifies decision on Presidential Election

By Alicia Wong (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/author/alicia-wong/) | SingaporeScene (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/) – Thu, Jun 9, 2011

tweet (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/_social/share/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fsupporter-collects-eligibility-forms-chiam-see-tong-143806170.html&text=Chiam%20See%20Tong%20clarifies%20decision%20on%20Presidential%20Election%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News&via=yahoosg&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fsupporter-collects-eligibility-forms-chiam-see-tong-143806170.html&lang=en&action=retweet)10 (http://twitter.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fsupporter-collects-eligibility-forms-chiam-see-tong-143806170.html)
Email (http://mtf.news.yahoo.com/mailto/?prop=news&locale=sg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fsupporter-collects-eligibility-forms-chiam-see-tong-143806170.html&title=Chiam%20See%20Tong%20clarifies%20decision%20on%20Presidential%20Election%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News)
Print (javascript:window.print();)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ctJHNagEsyWV07yn7battA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTQwMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-SG/blogs/singaporescene/400yahoo_chiamseetong.jpg A supporter collects the eligibility forms for Chiam See Tong, in hopes that he will contest in the upcoming Presidential …

UPDATED
Former Opposition Member of Parliament Chiam See Tong (http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?p=Chiam+See+Tong&fr=fp-today&cs=bz) has clarified that he has not announced if he will run for President. Responding to email queries from Yahoo! Singapore, he said, "I have not publicly informed any media about my decision yet."
"I will let you know in due course as I am still studying the application forms."
On Saturday, Channel NewsAsia reported that Chiam will not be contesting the Presidential Election.
He was quoted as saying, he will focus on serving Singaporeans in his current capacity as he feels it is unlikely he will qualify for the Presidential Election, due by 31 August.
The supporter who collected the Certificate of Eligibility forms for Chiam, felt Chiam would have a broader reach serving Singaporeans as President, compared to his current position.
The 27-year-old, who wanted to be known only as De Costa, said he will consult with a lawyer next week to discuss Chiam's eligibility to run for President.
"People must know exactly what they want and expect from the President and government they voted in," he added.
De Costa saidthat he did not discuss the matter with Chiam or his wife, Lina Chiam, before collecting the forms.
The ex-Potong Pasir resident collected the forms at the Elections Department at about noon on Thursday and passed the forms to the couple on Thursday evening at their Meet the People session.
"They were very surprised and said they would look into it," said De Costa. They also thanked him for honouring them, he said.
De Costa, who is not a member of the Singapore People's Party (http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?p=Singapore+People%27s+Party&fr=fp-today&cs=bz), where Chiam is chief, said he is doing his part as an "active citizenry". He is also "uncomfortable" that several former People's Action Party members were interested in running for President.
Stressing that Chiam has the "moral authority" to lead as President and can take on the duties of providing oversight in areas such as racial and religious harmony and the Internal Security Department, De Costa said Chiam has a proven track record of being "independent" and "wise".
Chiam was Singapore's longest-serving Opposition MP. He had been MP for Potong Pasir single-seat ward since 1984 but lost his seat in Parliament after unsuccessfully contesting the Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC in this year's General Election (GE).

Lord Anus
12-06-11, 20:35
fark george yeo lah! what a farking hypocrite. what boh tua boh suay. no wonder he has been pandering to the americans , the chinese, the europeans, the japs, etc. because they big and we small. farking hypocritical person. christian some more. likes to categorise people into different income and social groups and dictate what they can and cannot do huh. fark this dog eyed motherfarker pu bor kia!

ysyap
16-06-11, 07:39
I’ve decided not to run for President: George Yeo

By Fann Sim (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/author/fann-sim-/) | SingaporeScene (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/) – Thu, Jun 16, 2011

tweet (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/_social/share/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fve-decided-not-run-president-george-yeo-165242618.html&text=I%E2%80%99ve%20decided%20not%20to%20run%20for%20President%3A%20George%20Yeo%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News&via=yahoosg&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fve-decided-not-run-president-george-yeo-165242618.html&lang=en&action=retweet)7 (http://twitter.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fve-decided-not-run-president-george-yeo-165242618.html)
Email (http://mtf.news.yahoo.com/mailto/?prop=news&locale=sg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsg.news.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fsingaporescene%2Fve-decided-not-run-president-george-yeo-165242618.html&title=I%E2%80%99ve%20decided%20not%20to%20run%20for%20President%3A%20George%20Yeo%20%7C%20SingaporeScene%20-%20Yahoo!%20News)
Print (javascript:window.print();)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ecby0wd9ErxTiKj4eRAhJw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-SG/blogs/singaporescene/600yahoo_georgefacebook.jpg (http://media.zenfs.com/en-SG/blogs/singaporescene/600yahoo_georgefacebook.jpg) Presidential hopeful George Yeo made the announcement through his Facebook page. (Yahoo!)

Former Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo (http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?p=George+Yeo&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-today&vm=r&cs=bz) has decided not to run for the Elected Presidency.

Mr Yeo made the announcement on Wednesday night with a message on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/notes/george-yeo/to-my-dear-friends-and-supporters/10150206077603616).

He said: "After considering all factors, I have come to the conclusion that, in this phase of my life, I can better contribute to the Singapore we all love in other ways. I have therefore decided not to run for the Presidency this August. It is not a decision I take lightly. I know many of you will be disappointed but I ask for your understanding."

"I will continue to work with you to make Singapore a home rich in memories and full of hope for the future," he added.

He also expressed his deep appreciation to all who believed in him and offered him their kind support.

Since he posted the message, it has received over 2,000 'likes' and over 500 comments. Most Netizens thanked him for his contribution to Singapore and said they will respect his decision.

"I agree with your decision too. I hope that you can help the PAP to connect with the people, and transform it to become better. The Presidency is too passive a role, you can play a more active role now," commented Max Yeo on Mr Yeo's Facebook note.

"Your decision is a lost to Singapore and a disappointment to the many young Singaporeans. We just have to respect you for that! Hope you can continue to lead the young Singaporeans into another era in Singapore's
history," added Geralda Ng.

With Mr Yeo's decision to not run for the Presidency, the other Presidential hopefuls include former PAP MP Dr Tan Cheng Bock (http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?p=Tan+Cheng+Bock&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-today&vm=r&cs=bz) and former NTUC Income chief Tan Kin Lian (http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?p=Tan+Kin+Lian&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-today&vm=r&cs=bz).

Former Deputy Prime Minister Tony Tan (http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?p=Tony+Tan&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-today&vm=r&cs=bz) has also not ruled out the possibility of running for the Elected Presidency while President SR Nathan (http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?p=SR+Nathan&fr=fp-today&cs=bz) has not made any decision on whether he will seek re-election.

Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=11e9cvro9/EXP=1309357601/**http%3A//twitter.com/yahooSG) and become a fan on Facebook (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=122tepkrg/EXP=1309357601/**http%3A//www.facebook.com/yahoosingaporenewsroom).

ay123
16-06-11, 10:55
probably he is afraid of losing to tony tan. double blow man!! but with him out, unless tony tan want to run or others cannot make it. tan kin lian like conman, tan cheng bok....donno? tat fat ah neh, he better don re-run, knn 89yr old without much contribution for 2 terms still eyeing tat $4m pay :simmering:

wenqing
16-06-11, 10:57
http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/aljunied-mother-son-story.html

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/pap-aljunied-mps-most-famous-moment/

http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/paps-cynthia-phua-and-her-most-famous.html

http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/pap-team-in-aljunied.html

DAVID
16-06-11, 11:00
GY made a wise decision not to run for president. He may lose respect from Singaporeans if he does. His reasons for running will be questionable, especially when he said he is not suitable for the post.

proud owner
16-06-11, 11:01
probably he is afraid of losing to tony tan. double blow man!! but with him out, unless tony tan want to run or others cannot make it. tan kin lian like conman, tan cheng bok....donno? tat fat ah neh, he better don re-run, knn 89yr old without much contribution for 2 terms still eyeing tat $4m pay :simmering:

TOny tan NO FIGHT lah ...

George yeo has ntg to fear ...

anyway ... happy for him ...

if i were him ..
i would take my wife and we go for a world tour ... to places other than the respective countries' governmental buildings

Regulators
16-06-11, 11:19
George is enjoying life now, why would he want to bother with presidency. With his wife's huge pay cheque a month at Yeo-Leong n Peh and his millions, he does not need to run for anything lah.