PDA

View Full Version : Civil Servant's golden era is gone! Hard Time comming...

westman
31-05-11, 13:52
A friend of mine work as a director for a government body and she told me her good life in civil service work is jolly over as she and fellow directors (among various agencies) expect more work/queries/investigations/proposals to come given the current political climate.

Also with more opposition members in the parliament, they have to handle more political queries as sling-shot to their repsective ministers during parliament meeting...

Though she is a good friend of mine, I said "Obeegood, good luck to you...." :D :D :D

mogyi
31-05-11, 15:27
A friend of mine work as a director for a government body and she told me her good life in civil service work is jolly over as she and fellow directors (among various agencies) expect more work/queries/investigations/proposals to come given the current political climate.

Also with more opposition members in the parliament, they have to handle more political queries as sling-shot to their repsective ministers during parliament meeting...

Though she is a good friend of mine, I said "Obeegood, good luck to you...." :D :D :D

yup... my friend, a director from .gov.sg also told me now everyone
expecting more shit and audit coming their way. Complaining his superscale salary now more hard earn... but again he still got 21 days annual leave!

Regulators
31-05-11, 15:39
I got relatives in civil service but I never dare criticise the civil service in front of them. But I think it is high time they start getting more work. I have relatives working in the civil service who can complain not much work to do and surfing the internet everyday. Actually school teachers most jialat lot, they profess to be working damn hard but my teacher friends all take their job very lightly and enjoying so many days of holidays at taxpayers expense. Don't ask me how I know coz I am in the education biz :doh:

land118
31-05-11, 16:00
Personally, the picture of Gahment job is one that is structured, well defined scope of work. Stress come once in a while when Bosses ask theri staff to do something that is not norm or not part of routine. So even if civil servant complained stress, their stress level also not the same as private sector...

When friends of mine complained they have to work OT, seemed like damn stress, but that is normal is private sector....:doh:

sh
31-05-11, 16:06
they need to be reminded of the "servant" part of civil servant....:D

they had it easy for too long... now it's pay back time:hell-hath-no-fury:

Regulators
31-05-11, 16:14
Administrative officers in the civil service are the best when it comes to complaining about how much work they do and the sacrifices they make blar blar blar. Civil servant have little motivation to work hard coz they know that they have an iron rice bowl. 99% of them are just clock watchers it is their daily ritual to count down till the time they finish work the minute they step into the office

land118
31-05-11, 16:46
Administrative officers in the civil service are the best when it comes to complaining about how much work they do and the sacrifices they make blar blar blar. Civil servant have little motivation to work hard coz they know that they have an iron rice bowl. 99% of them are just clock watchers it is their daily ritual to count down till the time they finish work the minute they step into the office Heard that some of them finish work at 5pm. 4pm go pantry, 4.30pm, go pee, 4.45pm go comb hair..., 455pm standby and walk to the near exit, 5pm...take lift and exit...liao:doh:

devilplate
31-05-11, 16:48
Heard that some of them finish work at 5pm. 4pm go pantry, 4.30pm, go pee, 4.45pm go comb hair..., 455pm standby and walk to the near exit, 5pm...take lift and exit...liao:doh:
Dun b sour la.....:p

U can aso join them wat? Unless u dun hf tat prestigious toilet paper lor:p

westman
31-05-11, 17:08
Heard that some of them finish work at 5pm. 4pm go pantry, 4.30pm, go pee, 4.45pm go comb hair..., 455pm standby and walk to the near exit, 5pm...take lift and exit...liao:doh:

To pee for 15 minutes is way to long to hold.....
Drop by drop izzit?

devilplate
31-05-11, 17:11
To pee for 15 minutes is way to long to hold.....
Drop by drop izzit?
Oi....vy toturing one u noe when u got nothing to do...must act busy...hahaha
Some of them kill time by shooting poison emails lor...hahaha

land118
31-05-11, 17:27

U can aso join them wat? Unless u dun hf tat prestigious toilet paper lor:p Got "prestigious paper", but will not join them becos got time also not like that waste away...

Not pee 15mins, but pee already walk out of toilet, go around colleagues desks, talk cock, 4.45pm, go back "rest room", comb hair, wash hands, stare in mirror...by then 4.50+ liao...:doh:

devilplate
31-05-11, 17:31
Got "prestigious paper", but will not join them becos got time also not like that waste away...

Not pee 15mins, but pee already walk out of toilet, go around colleagues desks, talk cock, 4.45pm, go back "rest room", comb hair, wash hands, stare in mirror...by then 4.50+ liao...:doh:
So let them b lor....their choice to NUA rite?

land118
31-05-11, 17:36
So let them b lor....their choice to NUA rite? ya..., only thing all of us here is paying small part of their salary....:(

Regulators
31-05-11, 19:24
Some of these civil servants lousy toilet paper still can get in. just carry out a survey on civil servants' qualifications in general and you get what I mean. How many are actually from ivy league unis.

U can aso join them wat? Unless u dun hf tat prestigious toilet paper lor:p

ysyap
01-06-11, 08:00
Heard that some of them finish work at 5pm. 4pm go pantry, 4.30pm, go pee, 4.45pm go comb hair..., 455pm standby and walk to the near exit, 5pm...take lift and exit...liao:doh:Don't sour lah... they report for work by 7am when most of us are still sleeping... hahaha!!!

westman
01-06-11, 08:01
Don't sour lah... they report for work by 7am when most of us are still sleeping... hahaha!!!

Do early at 7am meh? My friend at 8.00am.

Regulators
01-06-11, 14:59
8am is too early to start work, for government departments timing should be nine to seven. Finish at five too early liao, govt departments should operate til 7pm to cater to people's needs better. Sometimes want to make enquiry at 430pm, start hearing engaged tone liao. At 4pm plus they can put you on hold till 5pm then put you on the answering machine after that and tell you to call back the next working day...really what the F... sometimes. Not forgetting government departments also take two hour lunch breaks in between, which is damn long.
Do early at 7am meh? My friend at 8.00am.

land118
01-06-11, 16:13
8am is too early to start work, for government departments timing should be nine to seven. Finish at five too early liao, govt departments should operate til 7pm to cater to people's needs better. Sometimes want to make enquiry at 430pm, start hearing engaged tone liao. At 4pm plus they can put you on hold till 5pm then put you on the answering machine after that and tell you to call back the next working day...really what the F... sometimes. Not forgetting government departments also take two hour lunch breaks in between, which is damn long. Ideally, should operate operate 8.30am to 6.30pm at least

ysyap
01-06-11, 18:37
Do early at 7am meh? My friend at 8.00am.Hahaha... at least I know teachers have to be in school before 0725hrs... my nearby school sounds national anthem loud loud by then... :scared-4:

Regulators
01-06-11, 20:49
But teachers finish work in the afternoon and have super long holidays on top of their annual and sick leaves, all funded by taxpayers .
Hahaha... at least I know teachers have to be in school before 0725hrs... my nearby school sounds national anthem loud loud by then... :scared-4:

ysyap
01-06-11, 21:04
But teachers finish work in the afternoon and have super long holidays on top of their annual and sick leaves, all funded by taxpayers .You are kidding right??? Although they may finish their classes in the afternoon, they have loads of admin and endless markings... :doh: This is especially true for teachers teaching graduating classes... endless remedial class as well as afternoon classes that end at 5pm or 6pm... :eek: JC teachers certainly don't go home in the afternoon. I remember when I was in JC, my lessons on 3 days a week ends 6pm.. :D
Just check out the turn over rates for new teachers... I hear so many teachers rather quit early and pay back their bonds. :tsk-tsk:

Regulators
01-06-11, 23:37
many flock to the teaching profession coz of the breaks and holidays. Do you think staying back for three days a week till 6pm during exam period is very bad? What about accountants, engineers and lawyers who have to work 12 hours a day? One more thing i can't see eye to eye with MOE is making students attend P5 camps during term time when such activities should be scheduled during the school holidays. The simple reason why they don't have it during the school holidays is because teachers want to travel. PSLE exams are also brought forward earlier and earlier leaving students lesser time to revise. This year's written paper for PSLE starts end of September and the entire PSLE ends on 5th October. Imagine after the exam, these kids will be spending time watching cartoons in the AVA room and bringing games to play in school, which to me is meaningless. They are making students do lots of bo liao things during term time like attending useless motivation workshops, school camps and doing hours and hours of rehearsal for youth day, shortening student's preparation time for exams. the entire curriculum is supposed to be well-thought by scholars, but it does not seem to be the case.

You are kidding right??? Although they may finish their classes in the afternoon, they have loads of admin and endless markings... :doh: This is especially true for teachers teaching graduating classes... endless remedial class as well as afternoon classes that end at 5pm or 6pm... :eek: JC teachers certainly don't go home in the afternoon. I remember when I was in JC, my lessons on 3 days a week ends 6pm.. :D
Just check out the turn over rates for new teachers... I hear so many teachers rather quit early and pay back their bonds. :tsk-tsk:

ysyap
04-06-11, 12:59
many flock to the teaching profession coz of the breaks and holidays. Do you think staying back for three days a week till 6pm during exam period is very bad? What about accountants, engineers and lawyers who have to work 12 hours a day? One more thing i can't see eye to eye with MOE is making students attend P5 camps during term time when such activities should be scheduled during the school holidays. The simple reason why they don't have it during the school holidays is because teachers want to travel. PSLE exams are also brought forward earlier and earlier leaving students lesser time to revise. This year's written paper for PSLE starts end of September and the entire PSLE ends on 5th October. Imagine after the exam, these kids will be spending time watching cartoons in the AVA room and bringing games to play in school, which to me is meaningless. They are making students do lots of bo liao things during term time like attending useless motivation workshops, school camps and doing hours and hours of rehearsal for youth day, shortening student's preparation time for exams. the entire curriculum is supposed to be well-thought by scholars, but it does not seem to be the case.

Can sense that you have kids in primary school. Yes I don't agree also that schools are putting kids in school doing bo liao stuff... Hmmm...

Anyway, while accountants and lawyers work daily for long hours, they earn at least twice if not thrice what a teacher earns. My lawyer friend takes home some $15k a month while my teacher friend takes home $5k. Also, lawyers, accountants, bankers, etc have mandatory 14 to 21 days to clear. Teachers have none, only the controlled holidays so they cannot travel during term time when air fares and expenses are generally cheaper! :doh:

Btw, don't think anything wrong with teachers wanting to travel and they can only do so in the holidays. While I have issues with the MOE system, I have many teacher friends too to convince me that they are ok lah... its not the teachers but the system... :D

Regulators
04-06-11, 15:55
not about being a parent, but i have watched students being victims of the MOE system year after year in my biz and much as i wish to help, i can't. The other problem is getting outside operators to hold non-academic workshops. AKLT motivation talk is a waste of time for many students, coz these students get the high for only a day and they go back to themselves. I remember one particular year the motivation talk was held just a month or two before psle for p6 students teaching them mind mapping blar blar blar, do you think it will help much when the kid has already been entrenched in his ways for the past donkey years and school expects students to change overnight by making them go through an expensive workshop for 1-3 days?

Can sense that you have kids in primary school. Yes I don't agree also that schools are putting kids in school doing bo liao stuff... Hmmm...

Anyway, while accountants and lawyers work daily for long hours, they earn at least twice if not thrice what a teacher earns. My lawyer friend takes home some $15k a month while my teacher friend takes home $5k. Also, lawyers, accountants, bankers, etc have mandatory 14 to 21 days to clear. Teachers have none, only the controlled holidays so they cannot travel during term time when air fares and expenses are generally cheaper! :doh:

Btw, don't think anything wrong with teachers wanting to travel and they can only do so in the holidays. While I have issues with the MOE system, I have many teacher friends too to convince me that they are ok lah... its not the teachers but the system... :D

ysyap
04-06-11, 23:15
not about being a parent, but i have watched students being victims of the MOE system year after year in my biz and much as i wish to help, i can't. The other problem is getting outside operators to hold non-academic workshops. AKLT motivation talk is a waste of time for many students, coz these students get the high for only a day and they go back to themselves. I remember one particular year the motivation talk was held just a month or two before psle for p6 students teaching them mind mapping blar blar blar, do you think it will help much when the kid has already been entrenched in his ways for the past donkey years and school expects students to change overnight by making them go through an expensive workshop for 1-3 days?Again this is systemic flaw... it may benefit maybe that one or two students but certainly wasted the time of some many others... :doh: . I can almost imagine that if I'm a parent of a psle kid, I'll also be kiasu and let my kid go attend in the hope that it might just help... :D

Let's see how Mr Heng will revolutionalize the teaching profession! Sometimes I think it is more costly to retrain and reteach a new teacher. It's cheaper to retain the services of existing teachers so yes the system must change!

I'm sure you can make a difference by writing your concerns to the newspaper forum, especially now that the govt is especially attentive to public views and concerns... :spliff: I'll most certainly voice my concerns when my kid reach those critical milestones! Let make noise and collectively we can most certainly make a difference! :sleep: