PDA

View Full Version : Terrace house smaller than house next door

SGP
30-05-11, 13:28
Hi,

Would like to seek your opinions here. Would you buy a house that is next to a bigger (rebuilt) house that is about 1.5 times bigger? I have heard that according to fengshui, it is not desirable to stay in a house that is next to a bigger house on the right side. How much bigger is considered a no-no?

Thanks for the advice of the gurus here.

proper-t
30-05-11, 14:16
Are you talking about built-up or land size?

If its just built up which is 1.5x bigger, the land size is the same and more importantly, the house is very cheap, why not?

IF you can get it cheap, just rebuild to be bigger than your neighbour with a lot of "sa chi" angled towards your neighbour lor.....;)

mantrix
30-05-11, 14:46
Another thing is you can make use of your neighbour's wall to build up...no need to spend money to build a retaining wall of your own...

best to buy an Inter-terrace between 2 higher, newer ones...:D

free walls :D

SGP
30-05-11, 15:45
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Land size is the same but neighbour's built-up is bigger (and taller), so seems to be towering over the house.

No money to rebuild lah and it's too troublesome to do.

Thanks!

sh
30-05-11, 16:00
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Land size is the same but neighbour's built-up is bigger (and taller), so seems to be towering over the house.

Thanks!

Big neighbours house good what.... provide shade for you....

Stay first, rebuilt when you have money:D

fclim
30-05-11, 16:27
Hi,

Thanks!

Important also to note if their behaviour also towers over yours..

devilplate
30-05-11, 16:29
Important also to note if their behaviour also towers over yours..
Den compare whose car more ex....den whose dog more fierce?

proper-t
30-05-11, 17:28
Den compare whose car more ex....den whose dog more fierce?

whose wife more chio ?

proper-t
30-05-11, 17:32
Hi,

Thanks!

In all honesty, I like these kind of houses. Gives me more bargaining power because I can say that the neighbour's house which is renovated and bigger was done for $x. Your house should go for a discount.

What sh says is good advice, just buy first. Can always rebuild later when you have $$$. if you are really concerned about fengshui, then hire a fengshui master lor or consult BJ21T's third eye....

ysyap
30-05-11, 18:36
If Feng Shui is a big issue for you then there are many many things which you have to consider, not just size of the neighboring house. Consult a master...

proud owner
03-06-11, 03:47
In all honesty, I like these kind of houses. Gives me more bargaining power because I can say that the neighbour's house which is renovated and bigger was done for $x. Your house should go for a discount.

What sh says is good advice, just buy first. Can always rebuild later when you have $$$. if you are really concerned about fengshui, then hire a fengshui master lor or consult BJ21T's third eye....

i saw quite a few such single storey house, with 3 storey neighbours ...

honestly they look like hobits ... quite ugly ...

of course the adv is that you can tear it down and rebuild your dream home, dream design, dream interior ...

however, sometimes, a new 3 storey neighbour can restrict how you rebuild yours ... so look carefully ...

i have seen, 3 + roof garden/terrace type ..
if you can only afford to build 2+ roof garden/terrace ...then no point .. cos they still 'look down' on you ...and you still lose your privacy ...they can still look onto your private roof terrace ...

DC33_2008
03-06-11, 09:34
It may be better to buy old ones and rebuild as URA rules on private property are more generous now as compared to 10 years ago.
i saw quite a few such single storey house, with 3 storey neighbours ...

honestly they look like hobits ... quite ugly ...

of course the adv is that you can tear it down and rebuild your dream home, dream design, dream interior ...

however, sometimes, a new 3 storey neighbour can restrict how you rebuild yours ... so look carefully ...

i have seen, 3 + roof garden/terrace type ..
if you can only afford to build 2+ roof garden/terrace ...then no point .. cos they still 'look down' on you ...and you still lose your privacy ...they can still look onto your private roof terrace ...

ysyap
03-06-11, 15:23
It may be better to buy old ones and rebuild as URA rules on private property are more generous now as compared to 10 years ago.Its always an intricate balance between cost and optimal land utility. For a simple extension to the backyard and adding a 2nd floor toilet, I was quoted a crazy $80k (w/o piling works). This is crazy. Its more than $400 psf. :doh: Cost have gone up across every building sectors... :D