PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose which condo?

lambchop
24-05-11, 11:38
Dear Forum members,

Hello. I am hoping you could please help me out. I am not a real estate agent but am doing some research into how and why people choose which projects to invest in. It is a personal project.

So what I would like to know is, aside from the obvious considerations of location and price, what else are you looking for?

A wonderful place for your children to grow up?
A project from a developer who has a great reputation?
A sustainable building that helps preserve the environment?
Design innovations?
A developer who you know puts money back into the local community?
A building that is designed for the future?
A development that you are sure will increase in value?
A property that reflects your personality and success?
Anything else at all - no matter how small would be very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance.

Lambchop.

Regulators
24-05-11, 12:10
Hi lambchop, you can find a thousand and one reasons if you have the time to look through the thousands of postings in this forum from the time this forum started. Enjoy your read. :D

lambchop
24-05-11, 12:37
Thank you and indeed I have been doing this. Just thought some posters might find it interesting to share some of the less obvious reasons. It is also a good opportunity for us all to reflect on what it is that makes a purchase special. Thanks again.

hyenergix
24-05-11, 13:02
Dear Forum members,

Hello. I am hoping you could please help me out. I am not a real estate agent but am doing some research into how and why people choose which projects to invest in. It is a personal project.

So what I would like to know is, aside from the obvious considerations of location and price, what else are you looking for?

Design innovations?

Thanks in advance.

Lambchop.

Just visit the showflats and get the agents to tell you.

ysyap
24-05-11, 13:05
Stay near kids' school and parents' place? Maybe!

azeoprop
24-05-11, 14:08
How about staying in a place where you have feelings and memories? A place where you feel at home. :D

hopeful
24-05-11, 14:23
How about staying in a place where you have feelings and memories? A place where you feel at home. :D

that means apple doesnt fall far from the tree :)

ysyap
24-05-11, 14:26
How about staying in a place where you have feelings and memories? A place where you feel at home. :DMost applicable for older folks. Youths today don't give a 2nd thought over nostalgia and memories... well at least with those I come across! Sigh not because of these youths but because I feel so old to talk like that! :doh:

Akira Fudou
24-05-11, 15:41
1) Proximity to MRT, amenities
2) Pricing, affordability
3) Freehold? I guess this is not so important.
4) tranquility ? usually it goes against point 1)
5) Near to good schools
6) Near to parents
7) Near to workplace
8) Layout
9) Facing
10) Fav developer?

ysyap
24-05-11, 15:43
1) Proximity to MRT, amenities
2) Pricing, affordability
3) Freehold? I guess this is not so important.
4) tranquility ? usually it goes against point 1)
5) Near to good schools
6) Near to parents
7) Near to workplace
8) Layout
9) Facing
10) Fav developer?Neat!!! :spliff:

Latio
24-05-11, 16:20
near parents:)

ymgsterling
24-05-11, 16:33
Typically, house is the biggest investment.
I will go for potential capital appreciation.

mantrix
24-05-11, 16:33
really depends on which stage of life you are in...

hopeful
24-05-11, 16:37
Typically, house is the biggest investment.
I will go for potential capital appreciation.

That's great to know.
How to measure the potential capital appreciation? if cannot get absolute values, how to compare relative potential capital apprecation between projects.
let me kowtow first at the feet of the master.:not-worthy:

Alan Shearer
24-05-11, 18:28
1) Near the pub
2) Near the pub
3) Near the pub

Akira Fudou
24-05-11, 18:36
I prefer bigger project with gardens, swimming pool, tennis court etc than those apartment type.

alamak
24-05-11, 19:36
For a few years before April 9 2006, my wife and I (plus my kids) have been driving island-wide, look see look see, literally visited many hundreds of show flats, show rooms and many finished projects .. yet never buy. Don't know why ???

When my wife told me about this brand new FH Condo with full-facilities along Leicester Rd just 100 metre from Potong Pasir MRT. I drove there immediately to the showroom as usual with my Kids the second week after the soft launch.

Yes and without much hesitation, I signed the dotted line on OTP for a new FH Condo along Leicester Rd after choosing my desired unit and the top floor too.
I was lucky then, as It was the second week after soft launch and there was plenty of units to choose ... 2 weeks later I was attending the election rally speeches by Mr Chaim See Tong in early May 2006.. I was damn happy then. Of course then the much healthy Mr Chaim returned Victorious beating his PAP rival by a much improved 55% margin despite that $80M upgrading carrot.

I moved into my Condo in 2008 and lim kopy with Mr CST one week end in Potong Pasir coffee shop. No doubt, we may have lost the 2011 GE by a mere 114 votes. I am still very happy and much inspired by Mr Chaim See Tong ...

Potong Pasir is simply just My kind of Town :) :) :)

azeoprop
24-05-11, 19:48
Hopefully Potong Pasir will remain that way for years to come. I do agree that it got that close knitted community charm. :)

tericia
24-05-11, 20:36
Hi Lambchop,let me help you out

based on what you listed for me it is:
A wonderful place for your children to grow up

besides those you listed, the top 3 are:
1) high ceiling
2) view
3) district 1 - 10

Dear Forum members,

Design innovations?

Thanks in advance.

Lambchop.

DC33_2008
24-05-11, 20:44
Ranking of criteria will change depending on whether own stay or for investment.

a. potential of capital gain
b. Location
c. mrt stn
d.size (investment: 2bedrm between 900 and 1100sqft)
e. school (rank 3 for own stay)

sh
24-05-11, 21:08
you are trying to quantify the unquantifiable. It's like trying to list all the qualities you're trying to find in your spouse, and end up marrying the direct opposite....:doh:

If there's a property you fall in love with, all your factors will be thrown out of the window. Go with your gut.

That's if you're buying to stay....:)

If you're buying for investment... that's where you need to be rational.... harder said than done though.:beats-me-man:

matadorepy
24-05-11, 22:31
For a few years before April 9 2006, my wife and I (plus my kids) have been driving island-wide, look see look see, literally visited many hundreds of show flats, show rooms and many finished projects .. yet never buy. Don't know why ???

When my wife told me about this brand new FH Condo with full-facilities along Leicester Rd just 100 metre from Potong Pasir MRT. I drove there immediately to the showroom as usual with my Kids the second week after the soft launch.

Yes and without much hesitation, I signed the dotted line on OTP for a new FH Condo along Leicester Rd after choosing my desired unit and the top floor too.
I was lucky then, as It was the second week after soft launch and there was plenty of units to choose ... 2 weeks later I was attending the election rally speeches by Mr Chaim See Tong in early May 2006.. I was damn happy then. Of course then the much healthy Mr Chaim returned Victorious beating his PAP rival by a much improved 55% margin despite that $80M upgrading carrot.

I moved into my Condo in 2008 and lim kopy with Mr CST one week end in Potong Pasir coffee shop. No doubt, we may have lost the 2011 GE by a mere 114 votes. I am still very happy and much inspired by Mr Chaim See Tong ...

Potong Pasir is simply just My kind of Town :) :) :)

Alamak,

Thanks to your lucky Chaim (charm), Potong Pasir is indeed a GREAT PLACE and Strategic location ...at fringe of CBD ..4 MRT stops on NE LIne to Dhobby Ghaut ...PIE/CTE/KPE n 2 stops to CCL .. Indeed just great ... your PSF from $6xx to $1,1XX oredi ..

:) I own a unit there too ! This election really teaches me a lot about Potong Pasirian .. For 27 long years outsiders thot these people are nut , Potong Pasir a slump but it is not at all .. Why these folks simply refuse to bulge ? Why the great petition after the small loss? There is a great people pride and spirit .. patriotism and about humility/ kampung spirit where no $$$ and carrots can buy .. I don't stay there now but I intend to move there just before election 2016 to be part of this great people spirit ...

The Chaim spirit touches me more than anything esle ... NO wonder People all over the island flock there .. just to feel the place and the charm ..

No wonder No one want to sell their HDB or their Condo in Potong Pasir....

Yes, Potong Pasir is also just My kind of Town after all these years:) :) :)

ysyap
24-05-11, 22:35
Alamak,

Thanks to your lucky Chaim (charm), Potong Pasir is indeed a GREAT PLACE and Strategic location ...at fringe of CBD ..4 MRT stops on NE LIne to Dhobby Ghaut ...PIE/CTE/KPE n 2 stops to CCL .. Indeed just great ... your PSF from $6xx to $1,1XX oredi ..

:) I own a unit there too ! This election really teaches me a lot about Potong Pasirian .. For 27 long years outsiders thot these people are nut , Potong Pasir a slump but it is not at all .. Why these folks simply refuse to bulge ? Why the great petition after the small loss? There is a great people pride and spirit .. patriotism and about humility/ kampung spirit where no $$$ and carrots can buy .. I don't stay there now but I intend to move there just before election 2016 to be part of this great people spirit ...

The Chaim spirit touches me more than anything esle ... NO wonder People all over the island flock there .. just to feel the place and the charm ..

No wonder No one want to sell their HDB or their Condo in Potong Pasir....

Yes, Potong Pasir is also just My kind of Town after all these years:) :) :)Bravo but the psf is slowly climbing beyond reach by many people le! Btw, next election PP may be split up to join GRC le... hahaha! Unpleasant strategy but absolutely possible! :p

rattydrama
24-05-11, 23:06
away from town
away from MRT
away from crowd
on elevated grounds
no noise no pollution
:p :p

urban
24-05-11, 23:09
Near schools.
Near shopping malls
Near eateries
Near wet market
Can afford the price
Love the environment.

ysyap
24-05-11, 23:12
Near schools.
Near shopping malls
Near eateries
Near wet market
Can afford the price
Love the environment.When people start to talk like that, you know its near to bed time!!! :sleep:

DC33_2008
25-05-11, 08:28
Don't you have a set of pre-selection criteria before even going to view the place (resale) or showflat (new)? It is the unit facing, layout, condition, etc that will help you to make the final decision. Otherwise, window shopping can be very dangerous as one may sign the cheque due to pressure from the crowd especially in the showflat.
you are trying to quantify the unquantifiable. It's like trying to list all the qualities you're trying to find in your spouse, and end up marrying the direct opposite....:doh:

If there's a property you fall in love with, all your factors will be thrown out of the window. Go with your gut.

That's if you're buying to stay....:)

If you're buying for investment... that's where you need to be rational.... harder said than done though.:beats-me-man:

sh
25-05-11, 09:05
well... usually the budget is the dominant pre-condition..... Find the best unit you can afford....:D

lambchop
25-05-11, 11:55
Thank you all so much for your responses. And yes, I am sorry - I know this is very hard to quantify but the answers have been very helpful.

Please keep them coming :)

Alan Shearer
25-05-11, 12:26
From the guru:

Top two motivation factors in purchase of property are price and location. Potential capital appreciation is the third most important factor but it has reduced in importance from 31% in Q4 to 22% in Q1.

:cheers6:

gilaone
25-05-11, 16:40
I bought it for own stay so I do not pay much attention to the capital appreciation. My selection criteria in priority:

1. Price (as long as it is within the range)
2. Near MRT (must be less than 8 mins walk)
3. Near school
4. Region (I like to explore new places. central too ex, so east or north east for my case)
5. Amenities
Above are must have. Listed below are negotiable
6. Move in condition (resale for me)
7. Layout & facing (avoid afternoon sun)
8. Pool view
9. Monthly maintenance fee
10. Neighborhood (in terms of racial proportion)

I care less about the following:
- Security (Anyway better than HDB, right)
- Carpark lot (I dont drive)
- Greenary
- Windiness and indoor brightness

azeoprop
25-05-11, 20:00
Actually hor....when I bought my first property 2 yrs ago, I went to the showroom see see look look after I saw their advertisment on the papers. The showroom was not at the site, and in fact I was not familar with the area and dunno where the actual property was. But there was a starbuy unit, so I kena hooked by the salesperson sweet talk and signed on the paper. :scared-3:

So for the past 2 years I have been visiting the site to grow my feeling for the neighbourhood. :o

rattydrama
25-05-11, 20:24
Actually hor....when I bought my first property 2 yrs ago, I went to the showroom see see look look after I saw their advertisment on the papers. The showroom was not at the site, and in fact I was not familar with the area and dunno where the actual property was. But there was a starbuy unit, so I kena hooked by the salesperson sweet talk and signed on the paper. :scared-3:

So for the past 2 years I have been visiting the site to grow my feeling for the neighbourhood. :o

my recent buy, I dont like the sales person as she pissed me off. However she was the first person to response and made the appointment for me to view on the same day I call.

in the end I still buy from her cos this property has upside potential and I din want the owner to change his mind, so decision was made within 30 minutes and OTP received by 1am - 3 hrs later.

How do you choose which condo? gut feel, timing and read the market to have a feel of everything and anything.

mightyleftfoot
25-05-11, 20:40
my recent buy, I dont like the sales person as she pissed me off. However she was the first person to response and made the appointment for me to view on the same day I call.

in the end I still buy from her cos this property has upside potential and I din want the owner to change his mind, so decision was made within 30 minutes and OTP received by 1am - 3 hrs later.

How do you choose which condo? gut feel, timing and read the market to have a feel of everything and anything.

1am!!! Who says Singaporeans are not a hardworking bunch?
I agree that if purchased for ownstay, the considerations are always different vs one whose top priority is investment return and capital appreciation. I guess this is what makes the buyer and seller come to the table and agree on a price...:)