PDA

View Full Version : George Yeo announces retirement from politics

proper-t
10-05-11, 14:29
Press statement by George Yeo

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/JyIKXkigGHkXJpStnaEpkg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9MjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/246/2011/03/17/ynewslogo-071424_075919.pngYahoo! Newsroom – 2 hours 3 minutes ago

Media press statement by George Yeo on Tuesday, 10 May, 2011
Thank you for waiting a couple of days for me to rest before meeting you.
Aljunied voters have decided and I respect their decision. Having committed 23 years of service to the residents, it is only natural for me to feel disappointed but this is politics.
It has been my privilege to have served them all these years and they have enriched my life. They have also enabled me to serve in various capacities as a Cabinet Minister in MITA, Health, MTI and MFA for which I am grateful.
Why did we lose Aljunied?
Mr Low Thia Kiang himself said that they won Aljunied not because the Aljunied team did not do a good job, but because the voters wanted WP to be their voice in Parliament.
Mr Low's analysis is fair and I agree with him. This desire for a strong WP voice in parliament was a political tide which came in through Aljunied which we were unable to withstand despite our very best efforts. Right from the start, the Workers party made Aljunied a national battleground.
The fight became one between a Workers Party voice in Parliament and an Aljunied team with two ministers, a potential Speaker of Parliament, a potential minister and a most effective Town Council chairman.
Though I wish the outcome had been different, Aljunied voters have made their choice.
Many of my supporters asked me to stay on to win back Aljunied in five years time. I wanted to level with them and told them last night that it is better for a younger person to take on this important task. I'm already 57 years old and would be 62 by then. Naturally I would help to ensure a smooth handover.
As we ended our campaign on 5 May, I talked about the importance of transforming PAP. This is a belief I've held for some time. It was not something I felt I could say when the campaign started. But, as the campaign went on, as we heard the growing cry from the heart, I decided to make it plain. Like it or not, we are entering a new phase in Singapore politics development. How we respond to it will decide Singapore's destiny in the 21st century.
I would help in whatever way I can to bring about this transformation of the PAP. I wish I had a mandate from the people of Aljunied to be a strong advocate of such transformation. But I don't.
As for remaining in public life, I will contribute in whatever modest way possible.
Many young people have stepped forward to help me in this campaign. Even more have cheered me on. It is not good that so many of them feel alienated from the Singapore they love. I look forward to continue working with them so that the Singapore we struggle for is the Singapore they feel is their own.
As to the actual role I can play, I'll be happy to respond to them. In the last few years, I have learnt much from my young friends. Often they led me rather than I led them. Since the GE results came out, there has been a flood of support for me expressed personally, through friends and relatives, on email and, in an astonishing way, on internet and FB. The words expressed are heartfelt. Many wrote me long passages, some in tears. I'm grateful for the kind words and the good wishes, and will be an advocate of their cause.
As for what I'll do professionally after stepping down as Minister when the new Cabinet is sworn in, I'm not rushing to make a decision. My wife and I thought we should take our time to think this over. We also need a break to spend more time with the family.
From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank the people of Singapore for the opportunity of serving them in the last 23 years.

10-05-11, 14:56
He is politically assassinated!

ysyap
10-05-11, 15:02
He can now enjoy life and live off his pension for life... take a tour around the world. He deserve to enjoy now... :)

azeoprop
10-05-11, 15:42
If i were him, I will also retire and enjoy life. He sure have alot of connections overseas, can have round the world vip holiday, leave the mess for the pap and wp to settle. :D

ysyap
10-05-11, 15:58
If i were him, I will also retire and enjoy life. He sure have alot of connections overseas, can have round the world vip holiday, leave the mess for the pap and wp to settle. :DAs a foreign minister, don't think he left a lot of mess to be cleaned up... :D

hopeful
10-05-11, 16:04
As a foreign minister, don't think he left a lot of mess to be cleaned up... :D

The wikileaks affair ?

ysyap
10-05-11, 16:09
The wikileaks affair ?Hmmm... Not too sure about that though....

wenqing
10-05-11, 17:07
I think by saying he wanted to transform PAP from inside, he offended alot of PAP colleagues who felt nothing is wrong.

With such mindset, his colleagues must have think he is a danger to PAP itself.

It is a pity he did not start his reformasi and transformation of PAP much earlier and in fact toe PAP line for many of the policies.

Election is really a bad time for stating he wants to transform PAP because alot of people will suspect his motives and agenda for doing so.

But at least George Yeo was honest enough to say PAP itself is a problem now and had many problems within.

If only he fought PAP openly in Parliament like Lily Neo and Tan Cheng Bock do then people will believe his sincerity in transforming PAP from within.

Too late.

ysyap
10-05-11, 17:09
More often than not, it is when you are losing or have lost that you can see clearer. Now, as an outsider, he can feel the flaws much more than those who are still inside the system. Opp should employ him as personal consultant so he can still contribute to nation building... :D

wenqing
10-05-11, 17:10
As a foreign minister, don't think he left a lot of mess to be cleaned up... :D

The Romanian ambassador Dr Silviu who killed 3 people in the traffic accident is still a free man in Romania despite many wayang trials there.

The 3 dead people could have been anyone of us since it was random traffic accident.

If USA can summon BP Chairman and CEO to Congress to get grilled for oil leak disaster, why the world's most expensive foreign Minister cannot do the same to a clear cut criminal ??

wenqing
10-05-11, 17:13
More often than not, it is when you are losing or have lost that you can see clearer. Now, as an outsider, he can feel the flaws much more than those who are still inside the system. Opp should employ him as personal consultant so he can still contribute to nation building... :D

Even retired PAP MP Tan Cheng Bock say Singapore must have Opposition.

George Yeo should join WP and transform PAP from outside because it is proven transforming from inside did not work.

It seems the pro-SM Goh camp are either retired, voted out, resign or step down.

SM Goh ex-PPS already join SDP, what are you waiting for George Yeo, join WP !!!!

wenqing
10-05-11, 17:21
PAP will implode some day and that day may not be far once MM Lee goes.

Hopefully by then WP is ready to take over so that PAP's own internal problems will not drag down Singapore as well.

Separate party and country.

ay123
10-05-11, 18:01
Even retired PAP MP Tan Cheng Bock say Singapore must have Opposition.

George Yeo should join WP and transform PAP from outside because it is proven transforming from inside did not work.

It seems the pro-SM Goh camp are either retired, voted out, resign or step down.

SM Goh ex-PPS already join SDP, what are you waiting for George Yeo, join WP !!!!

卖主求荣者,杀 :tsk-tsk:

Our Opp now is only good enuf to be alternate voice. tats all!!! LTK should not think too highly of himself!! he is just at the right place at the right time.

phantom_opera
10-05-11, 18:10
ay123 sounds like PAP MP or minister :scared-3:

wenqing
10-05-11, 18:15
ay123 sounds like PAP MP or minister :scared-3:

Totally agree.

Top down approach.

Either you with me or against me approach.

With people like him in PAP, PAP will collapse much faster.

Hooray !!!!

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

westman
10-05-11, 18:19
Totally agree.

Top down approach.

Either you with me or against me approach.

With people like him in PAP, PAP will collapse much faster.

Hooray !!!!

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Wenqing, want to volunteer for WP?:2cents:

westman
10-05-11, 18:22
卖主求荣者,杀 :tsk-tsk:

Our Opp now is only good enuf to be alternate voice. tats all!!! LTK should not think too highly of himself!! he is just at the right place at the right time.

弃暗投明,不杀!
LHL may have apologised and most tot he is sincere... Think twice after you reach this report from Asiaone..

------------------------------------------
SINGAPORE cannot keep adding foreigners to its workforce and will have to grow the economy by raising productivity, the city-state's prime minister said yesterday, two days after his party lost ground in an election fought over, among other issues, immigration.

The long-ruling People's Action Party was swept back to power in Saturday's election, but the opposition made historic gains by focusing on various grievances such as an influx of foreigners into the country.

"We can't grow by increasing the work force indefinitely. There has to be some growth in the work force over time but our objective is also to increase incomes," Lee Hsien Loong said at a lunch with senior corporate executives of the country's sovereign wealth fund GIC.

Foreigners now make up 36 per cent of Singapore's population of 5.1 million, up from around 20 per cent of four million people a decade earlier.

Singapore's strong economic growth and emergence as a key global financial centre over the past decade, which culminated in a 14.5 per cent expansion in 2010, has been fuelled by the large number of people coming to work in the city-state.

But the influx of foreign nationals into the work force has depressed wages for lower-skilled Singaporeans, contributing to greater income inequality.

Many citizens have also complained about the influx leading to competition for housing and places in schools, as well as increasingly crowded roads, buses and trains.

Even before the election, Singapore had been tightening immigration requirements.

Lee, however, also said in his speech that Singapore remains keen to attract investments and talent from abroad as this will create jobs and prosperity for citizens.

His government will remain focused on the long-term and will not let policies be affected by populist pressures, he said.

Asiaone....

wenqing
10-05-11, 18:29
Wenqing, want to volunteer for WP?:2cents:

I am too old for such stuff.

Cannot climb steps.

wenqing
10-05-11, 18:30
Another reason on Internet is after PM Lee retires, George Yeo is hot contender for PM post but so is his other Minister colleagues.

So the power struggle for next PM had started.

westman
10-05-11, 18:41
Another reason on Internet is after PM Lee retires, George Yeo is hot contender for PM post but so is his other Minister colleagues.

So the power struggle for next PM had started.

Heard different story from the ground..

GY is belongs to Goh camp. During this election, most of the outgoing MPs belong to Goh camp.

If you pay close attention to news reports, Goh and LHL never appear together at all during this election. Also, WKS openly refuted Goh on newsaper over some remarks.

BTW, if all of you can recalled Goh's remarks "Singaporean Kiasu, Kiasi and Kiabor" many years back. After seeing the open rivalry between LHL & Goh camps, I think GCT probably refered that to LHL....:cool: 

As for TPL, heard from the ground that if TPL (the so call "talented") can be elected as MP now, voters would probably have lesser resistance when LHL/Mah/LHY sons come out for election in GE2016. How worst can it be with TPL?

:2cents:

ysyap
10-05-11, 20:43
GY bowed out in dignity and grace.

ysyap
10-05-11, 21:02
The Romanian ambassador Dr Silviu who killed 3 people in the traffic accident is still a free man in Romania despite many wayang trials there.

The 3 dead people could have been anyone of us since it was random traffic accident.

If USA can summon BP Chairman and CEO to Congress to get grilled for oil leak disaster, why the world's most expensive foreign Minister cannot do the same to a clear cut criminal ??Different issue lah... WKS kana slammed for lousy system which allowed terrorist to escape - an obvious lapse in his role. But GY cannot persuade the Romanian to return to stand trial is not a lapse of duty. Its more 'give face' than anything else. Btw, its not ambassador, its charge d'affaires. :D

shauntanzs
11-05-11, 00:11
Heard GY pension is 30mil:scared-4:

Regulators
11-05-11, 00:12
Where did you get that from? That is our money? :hell-hath-no-fury:

Heard GY pension is 30mil:scared-4:

ysyap
11-05-11, 07:39
Its probably calculated on the basis of 30 years at 1mil a year and yes it is alot. Anyway, I would rather give good $ to those who have shown results and worked hard over the last many years than those who cannot produce result... :spliff:

teddybear
11-05-11, 08:48
We were told that pension scheme is a very sick scheme, that is why it has been scrapped for civil servants! :simmering: Ops! I forgot that MPs and Ministers still have pension. How much is their pension with respect to last drawn pay?

Its probably calculated on the basis of 30 years at 1mil a year and yes it is alot. Anyway, I would rather give good $ to those who have shown results and worked hard over the last many years than those who cannot produce result... :spliff:

proud owner
11-05-11, 08:53
We were told that pension scheme is a very sick scheme, that is why it has been scrapped for civil servants! :simmering: Ops! I forgot that MPs and Ministers still have pension. How much is their pension with respect to last drawn pay?

go read my latest post on ministers' pension

ysyap
11-05-11, 10:21
We were told that pension scheme is a very sick scheme, that is why it has been scrapped for civil servants! :simmering: Ops! I forgot that MPs and Ministers still have pension. How much is their pension with respect to last drawn pay?Its for office holders only.. most MPs are not office holders.. Anyway pension scheme is a sick scheme coz it is drawing too much from the govt bank to take care of civil servants so they introduced the growth package (aka connect plan) which slashed the final draw out amount by nearly 80%. However, it does allow employees to leave the service prematurely but still have some cash to take with them, unlike the pension scheme but it is really a small amount compared with how much they would have given if the old pension scheme remained. :D

devilplate
11-05-11, 10:23
Its for office holders only.. most MPs are not office holders.. Anyway pension scheme is a sick scheme coz it is drawing too much from the govt bank to take care of civil servants so they introduced the growth package (aka connect plan) which slashed the final draw out amount by nearly 80%. However, it does allow employees to leave the service prematurely but still have some cash to take with them, unlike the pension scheme but it is really a small amount compared with how much they would have given if the old pension scheme remained. :D

we duno how much bonuses those directors within GIC/Temasek draws too:rolleyes:

ysyap
11-05-11, 10:41
we duno how much bonuses those directors within GIC/Temasek draws too:rolleyes:Definitely a lot more... :D

Regulators
11-05-11, 10:53
No transparency at all. Reform party wanted to be a voice to fight for the privatisation of gic and temasek so that the directors can be answerable to shareholders (ie the citizens), I think it is a very good idea but why is it not well received?
we duno how much bonuses those directors within GIC/Temasek draws too:rolleyes:

devilplate
11-05-11, 11:00
No transparency at all. Reform party wanted to be a voice to fight for the privatisation of gic and temasek so that the directors can be answerable to shareholders (ie the citizens), I think it is a very good idea but why is it not well received?

common folks r more concerned about their daily issues....

ysyap
11-05-11, 11:02
No transparency at all. Reform party wanted to be a voice to fight for the privatisation of gic and temasek so that the directors can be answerable to shareholders (ie the citizens), I think it is a very good idea but why is it not well received?Not transparent... just traslucent.. show just about enough to say that I've shown you but not enough to reveal everything... Hmmm.... :scared-4:

devilplate
11-05-11, 11:03
r we having a post-election syndrome?:p

proud owner
11-05-11, 11:43
r we having a post-election syndrome?:p

seems there are alot of unknown before .... despite our so called First world govt, transparent system ...

are we opening a can of worms ?

should we open the can ?

fclim
11-05-11, 11:46

If USA can summon BP Chairman and CEO to Congress to get grilled for oil leak disaster, why the world's most expensive foreign Minister cannot do the same to a clear cut criminal ??

I believe he killed 1 and injured 2 others. Must also blame WKS. How can they just allow him to leave the country so quickly without anyone knowing? Didn't they find the abandoned car the next day?

devilplate
11-05-11, 11:50
I believe he killed 1 and injured 2 others. Must also blame WKS. How can they just allow him to leave the country so quickly without anyone knowing? Didn't they find the abandoned car the next day?
Saddest thing is other good ministers goto resigned except wks:doh: :doh: :doh:

devilplate
11-05-11, 11:57
seems there are alot of unknown before .... despite our so called First world govt, transparent system ...

are we opening a can of worms ?

should we open the can ?
I oredi tinking of reducing stake in sg....

I doubt sg can sustain growth without mass faked talents.....:( :o

And yng singaporeans r no longer tamed:scared-5:

How to have better salary and higher standard of living but lower cost of living at the same time?

westman
11-05-11, 12:09
I oredi tinking of reducing stake in sg....

I doubt sg can sustain growth without mass faked talents.....:( :o

And yng singaporeans r no longer tamed:scared-5:

How to have better salary and higher standard of living but lower cost of living at the same time?

Am very worry about bubble in property too.. tot of selling now...:scared-5:

hopeful
11-05-11, 12:25
why reaction towards lim booh heng & george yeo so different?

ysyap
11-05-11, 12:31
why reaction towards lim booh heng & george yeo so different?u mean diff between the two or diff between both and the rest of PAP like WKS???

hopeful
11-05-11, 12:38
u mean diff between the two or diff between both and the rest of PAP like WKS???
diff between the 2. Forummers seem more sympaathetic towards GY. Gy didnt cry. Lbh cry twice

ysyap
11-05-11, 12:39
diff between the 2. Forummers seem more sympaathetic towards GY. Gy didnt cry. Lbh cry twiceBut Devilplate said they all acting when they're crying... Hmmm.... I don't know.. what's there to act when he's stepping down le... anyway, each his own right to think differently... :D

land118
11-05-11, 15:05
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1128134/1/.html

Lim Hwee Hua quits politics (http://forums.condosingapore.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1128134/1/.html)

Published: 11 May 2011 1214 hrs
Minister in the Prime Minister's Office, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua, said she will not contest the next General Election in 2016.

ysyap
11-05-11, 15:19
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1128134/1/.html

Lim Hwee Hua quits politics (http://forums.condosingapore.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1128134/1/.html)

Published: 11 May 2011 1214 hrs
Minister in the Prime Minister's Office, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua, said she will not contest the next General Election in 2016.Like what George Yeo just said... :p. Do u think the whole team is angry w MIW for not listening to the people resulting in sacrificing the whole team. Hmmm....:scared-4:

fclim
11-05-11, 17:29
CST lost Bishan Toa Payoh and said he will continue fighting even though he will be 80 by the next election. Looks like our opposition candidates are made of sterner stuff.

wenqing
11-05-11, 20:19
CST lost Bishan Toa Payoh and said he will continue fighting even though he will be 80 by the next election. Looks like our opposition candidates are made of sterner stuff.

Of course, PAP candidates are not use to failures and competition.

It is new to them.

DC33_2008
11-05-11, 20:38
So, now you can really see how is for $ and who is people. LHH already found a job in the financial sector. CST is still willing to serve the people even w/o $.

It is new to them.

ysyap
11-05-11, 21:01
So, now you can really see how is for $ and who is people. LHH already found a job in the financial sector. CST is still willing to serve the people even w/o $.LHH hasn't found a job but might return to finance sector after 3 months break. Anyway, you are very right to point out the stark difference in attitude between LHH and CST. Hmmm.... :scared-4:

hopeful
11-05-11, 21:36
So, now you can really see how is for $ and who is people. LHH already found a job in the financial sector. CST is still willing to serve the people even w/o $.

how is he going to serve the people??
give free legal advice?

devilplate
11-05-11, 21:44
LHH hasn't found a job but might return to finance sector after 3 months break. Anyway, you are very right to point out the stark difference in attitude between LHH and CST. Hmmm.... :scared-4:
Life goes on

Lets move on:D

ysyap
12-05-11, 06:40
One of the reason why PAP lost an GRC and received only 60% of vote is rightly pointed out by both GY and LHH. The people are getting tired of hearing the govt promising that they will listen to the people and not acting on what they've heard. The decisions made and policies passed in parliament are never centred about what people said but what the govt thinks is best for the people. They are currently walking on thin ice. With 6, the highest number of GRC's winning votes of less than 60%, PAP better buck up or more disaster's coming their way in 2016. :scared-4: They cannot govt the people like in 1960s and 70s already. They indeed have to transform!!!

teddybear
12-05-11, 07:03
I heard from the ground that people are frustrated with these:
1) HDB prices gone up too much but their pay didn't rise
2) gov pay going to up 30% this year & their pay didn't rise, ministers & top civil servants get that sickening pension for live after working for 10 years from tax payees money whe they already get private sector salary while they have to contribute to cpf, employee contribution reduced significantly, & withdrawal age & amount locked in keep increasing, $130k to buy coffin? :doh:

One of the reason why PAP lost an GRC and received only 60% of vote is rightly pointed out by both GY and LHH. The people are getting tired of hearing the govt promising that they will listen to the people and not acting on what they've heard. The decisions made and policies passed in parliament are never centred about what people said but what the govt thinks is best for the people. They are currently walking on thin ice. With 6, the highest number of GRC's winning votes of less than 60%, PAP better buck up or more disaster's coming their way in 2016. :scared-4: They cannot govt the people like in 1960s and 70s already. They indeed have to transform!!!

taggy
12-05-11, 07:04

now seems everyone including PAP think they need to transform....eh..anyone think PAP will succeed ? or leopard can't change its spots ? how should they change ?

ysyap
12-05-11, 07:55
now seems everyone including PAP think they need to transform....eh..anyone think PAP will succeed ? or leopard can't change its spots ? how should they change ?After being entrenched in the 'I know best so you listen to me' mentality for the last 52 years, it will almost take a miracle for a thorough transformation.
Not that PAP cannot transform. They have been trying to do that since 1984 when the introduce a feedback unit after they first lost Potong Pasir to CST and have been genuine in trying to listen to the people. Even recently with REACH, they also have the same objective to listen. However, that transformation stopped at just listening. Nothing more. A good example is the worker's dormitory at Serangoon where the incumbent easily could have lost some 500 votes. Having said that, PAP probably need another generation to transform the govt's way of doing things. On a second thought, the 'listen to me' system that began with the Lee will definitely be more effective and comprehensive if it is concluded by the Lee (younger) also. Interesting!

The people are getting tired. How long more can they assume they'll rule? Even MM said no govt in history is permanent. It will be booted out eventually... Just a matter of when! :D

chiaberry
12-05-11, 08:07
Now the Opposition have a stronger foothold in Parliament, it might only be a matter of time. There is still a lot of anti-PAP sentiment simmering in SG. And if the Opp can come up with a bigger, better team next time round, they can extend this foothold. Many ppl wanted to vote Opp this time round but did not bec of weak candidates in Opp. Perhaps stronger candidates can be encouraged to come forward after this GE. To prerpare for the next one. Hope the WP can build up their team and not being sabo by PAP machinery in this nexxt 5 years.

westman
12-05-11, 08:35

It is new to them.

Failure is never an option for Elites and it were taught when they were young!!!!

A friend of mine teaches classes for gifted program in primary school and she told me this group of students are taught to lead rather than to think!

Superiority counts!!!

westman
12-05-11, 08:45
Now the Opposition have a stronger foothold in Parliament, it might only be a matter of time. There is still a lot of anti-PAP sentiment simmering in SG. And if the Opp can come up with a bigger, better team next time round, they can extend this foothold. Many ppl wanted to vote Opp this time round but did not bec of weak candidates in Opp. Perhaps stronger candidates can be encouraged to come forward after this GE. To prerpare for the next one. Hope the WP can build up their team and not being sabo by PAP machinery in this nexxt 5 years.

PAP has many challenges ahead...
1) how to attract more private talents as inbreed within government stats boards will further errode team strength. Also, with capturing a GRC in GE2011, oppositions would have more talents (for which mostly private talents) joining OPP.

2) How to win Aljunied back would remain a big headach...
Base on current model, a minister would lead the PAP's team. Question is: who will volunteer? It would be even harder if WP is doing a good job in Aljunied from now till 2016. Secondly, if the team is makes up by new candidates in the event no minister volunteer, it will only allows OPP to further entrenched the fort and that means more challenging for PAP to win back next time.

Unless PAP play it right for national policies with listening and actions else what lies ahead for them is down slope and it just a matter of time to get overtakes by OPP.:2cents:

chiaberry
12-05-11, 08:57
Even with the high salaries, it seems PAP is not that attractive to good candidates from the private sector. Essentially it is not only about the money. Candidates have to put up with losing their privacy (ie life is open to public scrutiny - look at TPL case), losing their own private time (need to attend Meet-the-People sessions), losing their autonomy to express their own views (must toe Party line). Even able candidates with good views and ideas may come up against brick wall if not in line with the highest power(s) in the PAP. For the next generation, having to work with knowing that eventually one of the most junior members of the team (by surname of Lee) will eventually overtake you and be your boss. How to attract good private talent? You can tell how "attractive" PAP is by the caliber of the candidates from the private sector this time round (TPL/FMH).

westman
12-05-11, 09:26
Even with the high salaries, it seems PAP is not that attractive to good candidates from the private sector. Essentially it is not only about the money. Candidates have to put up with losing their privacy (ie life is open to public scrutiny - look at TPL case), losing their own private time (need to attend Meet-the-People sessions), losing their autonomy to express their own views (must toe Party line). Even able candidates with good views and ideas may come up against brick wall if not in line with the highest power(s) in the PAP. For the next generation, having to work with knowing that eventually one of the most junior members of the team (by surname of Lee) will eventually overtake you and be your boss. How to attract good private talent? You can tell how "attractive" PAP is by the caliber of the candidates from the private sector this time round (TPL/FMH).

Fully agreed with your observation.
Btw, Coffee shop talks speculate that most of the new 24 PAP candidates were unusually lower as compare to normal's PAP standard is becos:
1) third generation heirs will start coming out to contest in 2016...
2) if this batch of mp (2011) is strong and good, it will outshine the heirs (at least 3 of them)...
3) with lower standard and quality, a slight improvement in candidates standard during 2016 would be perceived as better! It's all about image/expectation management.

devilplate
12-05-11, 09:32
Wah still having post election syndrome ar.....:scared-5:

chiaberry
12-05-11, 09:36
Fully agreed with your observation.
Btw, Coffee shop talks speculate that most of the new 24 PAP candidates were unusually lower as compare to normal's PAP standard is becos:
1) third generation heirs will start coming out to contest in 2016...
2) if this batch of mp (2011) is strong and good, it will outshine the heirs (at least 3 of them)...
3) with lower standard and quality, a slight improvement in candidates standard during 2016 would be perceived as better! It's all about image/expectation management.

That is a possible scenario. There are some "seat warmers" around for the next generation heirs. I am not sure that the younger generation of voters in SG would take kindly to (dare I say it) what might be perceived as nespotism. Although next generation heirs have excellent credentials on paper to back them up as candidates but how it would be perceived by the voters is not certain. If PAP don't play their cards right, there could be more voters going to the Opp or even good private candidates for Parliament going over to the Opp for that matter.

taggy
12-05-11, 09:39
After being entrenched in the 'I know best so you listen to me' mentality for the last 52 years, it will almost take a miracle for a thorough transformation.
Not that PAP cannot transform. They have been trying to do that since 1984 when the introduce a feedback unit after they first lost Potong Pasir to CST and have been genuine in trying to listen to the people. Even recently with REACH, they also have the same objective to listen. However, that transformation stopped at just listening. Nothing more. A good example is the worker's dormitory at Serangoon where the incumbent easily could have lost some 500 votes. Having said that, PAP probably need another generation to transform the govt's way of doing things. On a second thought, the 'listen to me' system that began with the Lee will definitely be more effective and comprehensive if it is concluded by the Lee (younger) also. Interesting!

The people are getting tired. How long more can they assume they'll rule? Even MM said no govt in history is permanent. It will be booted out eventually... Just a matter of when! :D

"no govt in history is permanent", i think MM didnt expect it to be in his life time :D and i not sure if he realise he added own goals to make it faster.

i personally feel, instead of focusing on winning back Aljunied, they should focus in winning people back, so as not to lose more GRC/SMC. If they can convince the people that they are listening and tackling the problems, i think voters will naturally vote them back.

i just hope the next 5 years, is not a period of little or no growth...
(else how our property price increase :D)

chiaberry
12-05-11, 09:40

Now there are alternative voices in Parliament, the post election party can carry on into the next election and beyond wor.....:cheers4:

devilplate
12-05-11, 09:41
"no govt in history is permanent", i think MM didnt expect it to be in his life time :D and i not sure if he realise he added own goals to make it faster.

i personally feel, instead of focusing on winning back Aljunied, they should focus in winning people back, so as not to lose more GRC/SMC. If they can convince the people that they are listening and tackling the problems, i think voters will naturally vote them back.

(else how our property price increase :D)
No growth or little growth is oredi goodie good.....:scared-5:

devilplate
12-05-11, 09:43
Now there are alternative voices in Parliament, the post election party can carry on into the next election and beyond wor.....:cheers4:
Hmm....gd aso....bcoz ppty market will b super dead for now....

taggy
12-05-11, 09:45
No growth or little growth is oredi goodie good.....:scared-5:

ok lah, everyone here noe your agenda is to catch durians lah :D

chiaberry
12-05-11, 09:48
ok lah, everyone here noe your agenda is to catch durians lah :D

Durians got sharp spikes leh....can hurt you.

It's abt time the property market cools down anyway. Need to save up for 40% cash for the next pty......:ashamed1:

taggy
12-05-11, 09:50
No growth or little growth is oredi goodie good.....:scared-5:ok lah, everyone here noe your agenda is to catch durians lah :D

i stand corrected, u mean our beloved country will go on negative growth? :scared-3:

fclim
12-05-11, 09:52
Base on current model, a minister would lead the PAP's team. Question is: who will volunteer? It would be even harder if WP is doing a good job in Aljunied from now till 2016. Secondly, if the team is makes up by new candidates in the event no minister volunteer, it will only allows OPP to further entrenched the fort and that means more challenging for PAP to win back next time..:2cents:

Without the 2 power ministers to hold the fort, many of the grassroots in Aljunied will resign, compounding the problem further. No more benefits wat. I believe many of the grassroots felt betrayed by the 2 resignations, having worked for them in the last 23 years.

A few scenarios:

1. Identify a power minister now to take over and work with the grassroots very hard over the next 5 years.

2. PM himself contests in Aljunied. Then, it will really be a national contest. He can shift Teck Ghee to be part of Aljunied GRC and make it a 6-man team.

3. Hope WP screw up. But, that is leaving it to chance.

4. Dangle an extremely good and outrageous carrot for the residents. But then, others may be tempted to vote out the PAP to get the same treatment.

5. Shift the goalpost. SG becomes part of AMK GRC. Paya Lebar, Eunos and Kaki Bukit part of MPGRC. Bedok part of East Coast GRC.

westman
12-05-11, 09:53

We are at coffeeshop now and what else do you expect us to kopi talk about?
Shakespear's fairy tales perhaps? :D :D :cheers1:

ysyap
12-05-11, 09:56

(else how our property price increase :D)Agreed... concentrating on Aljunied alone is dangerous. The votes already dropping in 6 other GRCs. So what if they can win Aljunied back and lose 6 GRCs in next GE? Don't make sense too... PAP got to work real real hard man... The biggest winner are the people.

westman
12-05-11, 10:02
Without the 2 power ministers to hold the fort....

Scenario 1: highly possible. Question is who dared? With kiasu/kiasi attitudes, who dare to volunteer unless being "arrow" by PM...

Scenario 2: unlikely as PM would most probably play safe to ensure third generation heir on board first...

Scenario 4: very dangerous play as this would encourage more GRC to give OPP chance as they will be rewarded handsomely after five years of "Repent":D

Scenario 5: very difficult for pap to shift goal pole in east regions as all (except Pasir Ris) are in danger zone liao...

taggy
12-05-11, 10:05
4. Dangle an extremely good and outrageous carrot for the residents. But then, others may be tempted to vote out the PAP to get the same treatment.
-> do u guys think this hougang central development (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1103487/1/.html) will still happen in the next 5 years ?

5. Shift the goalpost. SG becomes part of AMK GRC. Paya Lebar, Eunos and Kaki Bukit part of MPGRC. Bedok part of East Coast GRC.-> i think this will cause lagi more resentment, backfired and lost more places

3. Hope WP screw up. But, that is leaving it to chance.
-> ok all pap members start praying to all gods now :p:

fclim
12-05-11, 10:08
Agreed... concentrating on Aljunied alone is dangerous. The votes already dropping in 6 other GRCs. So what if they can win Aljunied back and lose 6 GRCs in next GE? Don't make sense too... PAP got to work real real hard man... The biggest winner are the people.

The problem is if PAP worked very hard and do very well in the next 5 years, then Aljunied may still be lost since voters will perceive that the other 6 GRCs will go to PAP. Don't underestimate the power of alternative voices in parliament. Voters are smart and sophisticated.

Damned if you do and Damned if you don't. PAP must fight both on a national level and at the local Aljunied level.

ysyap
12-05-11, 10:14
The problem is if PAP worked very hard and do very well in the next 5 years, then Aljunied may still be lost since voters will perceive that the other 6 GRCs will go to PAP. Don't underestimate the power of alternative voices in parliament. Voters are smart and sophisticated.

Damned if you do and Damned if you don't. PAP must fight both on a national level and at the local Aljunied level.Its a consequence they have to bear for the many years of not listening and acting on the feedback that people gave. :scared-4:

fclim
12-05-11, 10:15
The whole irony of GE2011 is: Who is repenting now?

chiaberry
12-05-11, 10:16
->
-> ok all pap members start praying to all gods now :p:

No need.

Apparently all the RC notices in GRC have been taken down (no more Residents committee) and cleaners have been given termination letters liao.

The god had decreed that they will repent remember?

ay123
12-05-11, 10:17
1) how to attract more private talents as inbreed within government stats boards will further errode team strength. Also, with capturing a GRC in GE2011, oppositions would have more talents (for which mostly private talents) joining OPP.

Base on current model, a minister would lead the PAP's team. Question is: who will volunteer? It would be even harder if WP is doing a good job in Aljunied from now till 2016. Secondly, if the team is makes up by new candidates in the event no minister volunteer, it will only allows OPP to further entrenched the fort and that means more challenging for PAP to win back next time.

Unless PAP play it right for national policies with listening and actions else what lies ahead for them is down slope and it just a matter of time to get overtakes by OPP.:2cents:

PAP can 静观其变,一山难藏二虎, will chen shao mao, top corporate lawyer, willing to be only member in WP? he might be eyeing WP party, just like chee soon juan did to CST. :beats-me-man:

westman
12-05-11, 10:19

Damned if you do and Damned if you don't. PAP must fight both on a national level and at the local Aljunied level.

Fair observation and you have put it so much better that I would. ;)
Having said so, I still hope PAP can wake up and actually start doing things than explaining to us why they are good!

Will definitely give pap my vote if they really listen and work on it.

devilplate
12-05-11, 10:20
I believe best way is to do nothing for aljunied grc and try to destroy WP from within:hell-hath-no-fury:

chiaberry
12-05-11, 10:21
PAP can 静观其变,一山难藏二虎, will chen shao mao, top corporate lawyer, willing to be only member in WP? he might be eyeing WP party, just like chee soon juan did to CST. :beats-me-man:

Does this guy have an axe to grind with the Govt? Apparently he was top A Level student in his cohort but did not get a place to study Medicine in NUH nor the President's Scholarship. Wonder why?

wesing
That is a possible scenario. There are some "seat warmers" around for the next generation heirs. I am not sure that the younger generation of voters in SG would take kindly to (dare I say it) what might be perceived as nespotism. Although next generation heirs have excellent credentials on paper to back them up as candidates but how it would be perceived by the voters is not certain. If PAP don't play their cards right, there could be more voters going to the Opp or even good private candidates for Parliament going over to the Opp for that matter.

Offsprings of current political leaders running in GE2016 will be carrying too much negative baggage with them, both internally and internationally.

westman
No need.

Apparently all the RC notices in GRC have been taken down (no more Residents committee) and cleaners have been given termination letters liao.

The god had decreed that they will repent remember?

Latest development in ALJ GRC.
Current management agent will continue to serve on ALJ. Hurray!!!!!

ay123
12-05-11, 10:22
Agreed... concentrating on Aljunied alone is dangerous. The votes already dropping in 6 other GRCs. So what if they can win Aljunied back and lose 6 GRCs in next GE? Don't make sense too... PAP got to work real real hard man... The biggest winner are the people.

chen shao mao said voters are the secret weapon......PAP only realised it on 7th May :banghead:

taggy
12-05-11, 10:24
I believe best way is to do nothing for aljunied grc and try to destroy WP from within:hell-hath-no-fury:

nobody care what will happen to the Century Square of Hougang?
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1103487/1/.html

devilplate
12-05-11, 10:24
Does this guy have an axe to grind with the Govt? Apparently he was top A Level student in his cohort but did not get a place to study Medicine in NUH nor the President's Scholarship. Wonder why?
I find it vy strange too...how come he did not get a place in nus?:confused:

I got too much doubts on chen maomao:scared-3: :eek:

devilplate
12-05-11, 10:27
nobody care what will happen to the Century Square of Hougang?
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1103487/1/.html
When i mean do nothing...means only national level improvement will b carried out....localised issues will b delayed till 2016:D :hell-hath-no-fury:

ysyap
12-05-11, 10:28
PAP can 静观其变,一山难藏二虎, will chen shao mao, top corporate lawyer, willing to be only member in WP? he might be eyeing WP party, just like chee soon juan did to CST. :beats-me-man:CSM is not a 虎 yet. He just came back to Singapore so he's still feeling his way around. He just entered politics and earned at least $15k more a month so he'll probably take the next 5 years to get his bearing. He may well lead the next WP 'A' team to infiltrate another GRC in next GE so WP can have 2 or more 'A' teams le... Then cannot call 'A' team... maybe 'A1' team, 'A2' and 'A3'... :p

ysyap
12-05-11, 10:30

I got too much doubts on chen maomao:scared-3: :eek:He might have topped the A levels in 1979 but there can be 3 or 4 of them with straight As. Then he maybe failed the entry test for various reasons so he bo pian. He disappointed so left for overseas lor....

chiaberry
12-05-11, 10:32

I got too much doubts on chen maomao:scared-3: :eek:

Hmm...wonder why PAP machinery did not dig out dirt on him? Being a top scoring student, he should have got into the course of his choice. The fact that he did not...there might have been something abt him that led to him not getting selected. And now he has come back to haunt his former classmates who are office holders.

devilplate
12-05-11, 10:43
Hmm...wonder why PAP machinery did not dig out dirt on him? Being a top scoring student, he should have got into the course of his choice. The fact that he did not...there might have been something abt him that led to him not getting selected. And now he has come back to haunt his former classmates who are office holders.
Yes same as tat ah tan under gct last time...:hell-hath-no-fury:

How many of u actualy believe csm is back for the good of singaporeans?:rolleyes:

devilplate
12-05-11, 10:46
CSM is not a 虎 yet. He just came back to Singapore so he's still feeling his way around. He just entered politics and earned at least $15k more a month so he'll probably take the next 5 years to get his bearing. He may well lead the next WP 'A' team to infiltrate another GRC in next GE so WP can have 2 or more 'A' teams le... Then cannot call 'A' team... maybe 'A1' team, 'A2' and 'A3'... :p
15k peanuts to him....i wonder how much money he has:hell-hath-no-fury:

taggy
12-05-11, 10:47

How many of u actualy believe csm is back for the good of singaporeans?:rolleyes:

maybe for self satisfaction ? succeed in commercial, now want to try being the govt (or toppling the govt) :D

chiaberry
12-05-11, 10:52
maybe for self satisfaction ? succeed in commercial, now want to try being the govt (or toppling the govt) :D

Getting his own back at the establishment for not recognizing his past academic achievements? As devil suspected, maybe his motive for being in Opp is personal rather than "for the good of Singapore or Singaporeas". Let us see how he performs in the next 5 years. Will surely be a thorn in PAP's backside during Parliamentary debates. At least it will make the PAP MPs and ministers sit up and listen rather than :sleep:

taggy
12-05-11, 11:01
Getting his own back at the establishment for not recognizing his past academic achievements? As devil suspected, maybe his motive for being in Opp is personal rather than "for the good of Singapore or Singaporeas". Let us see how he performs in the next 5 years. Will surely be a thorn in PAP's backside during Parliamentary debates. At least it will make the PAP MPs and ministers sit up and listen rather than :sleep:

can wait to watch parliament debates :D
mediacorp will be happy for the rating (no need to pay for actor and actress, just collect commercial fee)

ysyap
12-05-11, 11:10
Getting his own back at the establishment for not recognizing his past academic achievements? As devil suspected, maybe his motive for being in Opp is personal rather than "for the good of Singapore or Singaporeas". Let us see how he performs in the next 5 years. Will surely be a thorn in PAP's backside during Parliamentary debates. At least it will make the PAP MPs and ministers sit up and listen rather than :sleep:If he wants to succeed as MP, he'll not do anything stupid. If he wants to enter politics for self gain, then there'll surely be cracks during the campaign that PAP can leverage on but nothing was revealed... Hmmm.. only time will tell but let's not judge him the way we've judged PAP coz he is just starting but PAP has been in there for the last 52 years to be judged... :D

chiaberry
12-05-11, 11:14
If he wants to succeed as MP, he'll not do anything stupid. If he wants to enter politics for self gain, then there'll surely be cracks during the campaign that PAP can leverage on but nothing was revealed... Hmmm.. only time will tell but let's not judge him the way we've judged PAP coz he is just starting but PAP has been in there for the last 52 years to be judged... :D

Agreed. PAP and the rest of Singapore will be watching this guy with great interest for the next 5 years. Whatever his motives, he is a brave man.

proud owner
12-05-11, 11:18

exactly

i want my money
i also want to go spa and massage ....

pity LKY ... can only have masseuse to go over to his house and cannot go to a spa ... and mingle ...and TCSS ...

SAD

devilplate
12-05-11, 11:24
exactly

i want my money
i also want to go spa and massage ....

pity LKY ... can only have masseuse to go over to his house and cannot go to a spa ... and mingle ...and TCSS ...

SAD
Mabe tats y gy declare no more politics....

He is now tinking of which massage parlour to goto?:p

chiaberry
12-05-11, 11:30
I think this election is a blessing in disguise for GY. He can now spend more time with his family, esp after what they have gone through. Now the weight and responsibility of the nation is no longer resting on his shoulders. I think he would be looking younger and fitter in the next year or so. Now he is free to do what he wants and enjoy himself. It's the PAP's loss. They put him in the firing line knowing the possible consequences. Even non-political ppl already knew how bad the sentiment in Aljuneid was before the GE.

fclim
12-05-11, 12:03

He was top A level student in NJC. I think the papers got it wrong. He did not get Medicine or any govt scholarship then because he was only a PR. He became Singapore Citizen in 1986, after serving his NS.

He was an Infantry Officer during NS. He is much more committed than that stupid KK Hospital doctor who had no guts nor commitment to do NS. Yet, said that he is committed to Singapore.

devilplate
12-05-11, 12:05
He was top A level student in NJC. I think the papers got it wrong. He did not get Medicine or any govt scholarship then because he was only a PR. He became Singapore Citizen in 1986, after serving his NS.

He was an Infantry Officer during NS. He is much more committed than that stupid KK Hospital doctor who had no guts nor commitment to do NS. Yet, said that he is committed to Singapore.
Make more sense now:)

Allthepies
12-05-11, 12:23

There is an easy way to win the next general election. Make sure it is held during a deep recession, not like now when employment is near 100%. Hold it when unemployment is near 10% or 20%. During bad times, people will be more clear headed and exceptionally concerns about securing their rice bowls rather than to satisfy their unlimited desires and wants :D

Allthepies
12-05-11, 12:25

Make sense for the government to take care of her citizens first rather than PR :D

devilplate
12-05-11, 12:25
There is an easy way to win the next general election. Make sure it is held during a deep recession, not like now when employment is near 100%. Hold it when unemployment is near 10% or 20%. During bad times, people will be more clear headed and exceptionally concerns about securing their rice bowls rather than to satisfy their unlimited desires and wants :D
Cannot...it will b worse....

Held during lukewarm condition is da best

chiaberry
12-05-11, 12:27

Typical of our newspapers to (?"accidentally") not give the full facts. Thus casting doubts on him in the eyes of the readers.

Thanks for the clarification.

devilplate
12-05-11, 12:29
Make sense for the government to take care of her citizens first rather than PR :D
But i tink now nvr wor....

Ppl telling me they see alot more cheenas in ntu n nus:doh:

Allthepies
12-05-11, 12:34

i think he is back to get honour, glory and limelight :D for good of Singaporeans? hmm....

Allthepies
12-05-11, 12:36
But i tink now nvr wor....

Ppl telling me they see alot more cheenas in ntu n nus:doh:

yup definitely a lot more cheenas than last time :doh:
maybe Singaporeans r getting so rich that most r studying abroad in ivy leagues :D

ysyap
12-05-11, 13:12
I shared in another thread that Singapore govt actually dispatch people to China to recruit good students and promised them fully funded education with a view to getting PR status. After my tenants, both Chinese nationals studying here, completed their O levels, they received a letter to apply for PR. Most of these Chinese nationals don't even want to come to Singapore but because of the promise of fully funded education plus PR, they, being very poor, decided that this is an opportunity too good to be missed. Such Chinese hardly come because they care about Singapore. Singapore is but a stepping stone for them. They use our tax payer's money to further their cause and the Singapore govt is happy to spend on them... :doh:

devilplate
12-05-11, 13:18
I shared in another thread that Singapore govt actually dispatch people to China to recruit good students and promised them fully funded education with a view to getting PR status. After my tenants, both Chinese nationals studying here, completed their O levels, they received a letter to apply for PR. Most of these Chinese nationals don't even want to come to Singapore but because of the promise of fully funded education plus PR, they, being very poor, decided that this is an opportunity too good to be missed. Such Chinese hardly come because they care about Singapore. Singapore is but a stepping stone for them. They use our tax payer's money to further their cause and the Singapore govt is happy to spend on them... :doh:
But there r many non-scholars china students studying in our pte uni.....i spoke to few of them tat many wanted to come over n get their degree here bcoz its so much easier to get a job here after they graduate compared to china.

Allthepies
12-05-11, 13:26

to be fair, we need statistics to show how many of these students continue to stay and contribute to Singapore before we can make any judgement.

stepping stones r everywhere, even Singaporeans step on Singaporeans to his/her own advantages;

to put it more bluntly, in this GE, the plights of the poor have been used by people as stepping stones. some have achieved their goals and others will continue in the next GE :D

ysyap
12-05-11, 13:40
But there r many non-scholars china students studying in our pte uni.....i spoke to few of them tat many wanted to come over n get their degree here bcoz its so much easier to get a job here after they graduate compared to china.Its easier to get a job coz our lovely govt purposely want to retain their services and skills. It is so so convenient! Btw, no need to be scholars to get bursaries. There are so many avenues offered to have your education fully funded... Of course if you are referring to the rich Chinese natives, then they fund their own education and don't need to take from our money lah...

ysyap
12-05-11, 13:42
to be fair, we need statistics to show how many of these students continue to stay and contribute to Singapore before we can make any judgement.

stepping stones r everywhere, even Singaporeans step on Singaporeans to his/her own advantages;

to put it more bluntly, in this GE, the plights of the poor have been used by people as stepping stones. some have achieved their goals and others will continue in the next GE :DNothing wrong with stepping stones... it is the fact that our tax payer's money is so freely and easily given to foreigners that is not very right!!! :doh:

teddybear
12-05-11, 13:48
Why you say so? May be he really want to serve? If this is the case, really admire him as he has no need for that S$15k (he earns much much more than that). In fact, we believe that he actually earned more than the Ministers! However, which Ministers have demonstrated to earn more than their Ministers' pay before they become Ministers? And which private companies provide pension after you work for 10 years and after 50 years old until you die after paying you private sector pay? :banghead:

fclim
12-05-11, 14:09
I think NEH earned more before he joined politics. So did Shanmugam. CSM can still earn his millions, win or lose. Unless he gives up his job to be MP full time.

Amongst the new candidates, OYK is worthy of my vote. He could have stood for elections in 2006 and gotten an easy path to riches, but chose not to. In this election, he chose the most difficult ward to contest. Having tasted blood in defeat, he will become a better person and make a good Minister, unlike some others who got an easy ride into parliament and take their new post as a given. OYK appeared the most sincere of the lot.

taggy
12-05-11, 14:32
Amongst the new candidates, OYK is worthy of my vote. He could have stood for elections in 2006 and gotten an easy path to riches, but chose not to. In this election, he chose the most difficult ward to contest. Having tasted blood in defeat, he will become a better person and make a good Minister, unlike some others who got an easy ride into parliament and take their new post as a given. OYK appeared the most sincere of the lot.

i agree.
can i trade TPL for him :D
if he continue to stand in ALJ, i think also difficult to get into parliament.

gn108
12-05-11, 14:37
All the losing members from ALJ can take care of themselves or will be taken care of for the next 5 years...no need to be concern about that.

Allthepies
12-05-11, 14:41

seems like a good candidate.

but too bad the people have voted; they prefer an opposing voice rather than good candidates to run the country :cheers1:anyone that can speak ill of the government policies and pretend to "speak up" for the poor will get voters' votes :D

ysyap
12-05-11, 15:00
I think NEH earned more before he joined politics. So did Shanmugam. CSM can still earn his millions, win or lose. Unless he gives up his job to be MP full time.

Amongst the new candidates, OYK is worthy of my vote. He could have stood for elections in 2006 and gotten an easy path to riches, but chose not to. In this election, he chose the most difficult ward to contest. Having tasted blood in defeat, he will become a better person and make a good Minister, unlike some others who got an easy ride into parliament and take their new post as a given. OYK appeared the most sincere of the lot.Well the GRC system slayed not just GY but entire team... If OYK stood alone in SMC, may have better result... :(

ysyap
12-05-11, 15:49
The Japanese PM said he'll not accept his allowance from June until the Nuclear crisis is resolved. Wonder did WKS made any such commitments when the terrorist escaped??? :D

teddybear
12-05-11, 16:13
You sure? I don't think so. May be for 1 year they earn more but average over 20 years they don't, especially if you take the Ministers' pension that they can collect for life until they die in future! Can they work until they die at 100 years old (assume they live until 100 years old)? The answer is obvious that over long term, they earn much much more as Ministers with pension if they decide to retire early at 50 years old or after after working for 10 years or more! :beats-me-man:

gn108
12-05-11, 16:17
Not if you're Dr Susan Lim...

You sure? I don't think so. May be for 1 year they earn more but average over 20 years they don't, especially if you take the Ministers' pension that they can collect for life until they die in future! Can they work until they die at 100 years old (assume they live until 100 years old)? The answer is obvious that over long term, they earn much much more as Ministers with pension if they decide to retire early at 50 years old or after after working for 10 years or more! :beats-me-man:

Regulators
12-05-11, 17:12
The prata man should be the first to make such commitments. I don't think any minister made any such commitments before coz they are too caught up in comparing their wages with that of the top brass in the private sector. Really shame on them
The Japanese PM said he'll not accept his allowance from June until the Nuclear crisis is resolved. Wonder did WKS made any such commitments when the terrorist escaped??? :D

ysyap
12-05-11, 17:14
The prata man should be the first to make such commitments. I don't think any minister made any such commitments before coz they are too caught up in comparing their wages with that of the top brass in the private sector. Really shame on themWell now they now Singaporeans are no longer the same as last time le... :D

Regulators
12-05-11, 17:19
But in the apology speech by pm, he did not apologise for the disproportionately high ministerial salaries leh. They don't seem to have changed much and will not change in my opinion. If anything, they will be doing it for the oscars
Well now they now Singaporeans are no longer the same as last time le... :D

ysyap
12-05-11, 17:43
But in the apology speech by pm, he did not apologise for the disproportionately high ministerial salaries leh. They don't seem to have changed much and will not change in my opinion. If anything, they will be doing it for the oscarsPM cannot apologize for everything lah... if not whole govt must change along with all their policies le... :doh:

hopeful
12-05-11, 17:55
PM cannot apologize for everything lah... if not whole govt must change along with all their policies le... :doh:

cannot apologize for everything but at the very least can be like Lim Boon Heng right? cry over something, like over casinos :D

Regulators
12-05-11, 17:56
Yes, they can't apologise for everything, but ministerial salary also created much furore in the elections and almost every opposition rally talked about it. Don't you think the pm should say something about it? People's wages stagnate but they pay themselves world's highest salaries, don't tell me people are not concerned
PM cannot apologize for everything lah... if not whole govt must change along with all their policies le... :doh:

ysyap
12-05-11, 17:59
Yes, they can't apologise for everything, but ministerial salary also created much furore in the elections and almost every opposition rally talked about it. Don't you think the pm should say something about it? People's wages stagnate but they pay themselves world's highest salaries, don't tell me people are not concernedSiam question where possible... so no need to confront the issue head-on... :sleep:

Regulators
12-05-11, 18:02
Many singaporeans still buay song leh, how?
Siam question where possible... so no need to confront the issue head-on... :sleep:

ay123
12-05-11, 18:04
Yes, they can't apologise for everything, but ministerial salary also created much furore in the elections and almost every opposition rally talked about it. Don't you think the pm should say something about it? People's wages stagnate but they pay themselves world's highest salaries, don't tell me people are not concerned

wat do u expect him to say? pls forgive me for getting super high pay and yet cannot resolve ground anger...:not-worthy: :not-worthy:

Regulators
12-05-11, 18:08
Many singaporeans still buay song leh, how? Govt can siam but the problem will always be there
Siam question where possible... so no need to confront the issue head-on... :sleep:

Regulators
12-05-11, 18:12
I agree that or ministers' pay should be bench marked against the pay of ministers in other developed nations and I also feel am independent body free of the pap should be set up to decide on mp's remuneration.

Allthepies
12-05-11, 18:35
Many singaporeans still buay song leh, how? Govt can siam but the problem will always be there

pls vote me into parliament :D i only want to be paid $8K per month (discount to existing MP pay) and donate the rest to help the poor :D. i can speak up for u for any issues u or any Singaporeans buay song :D i can even propose to remove GST, ERP, income tax, remove HDB income ceiling, remove FW/FT to build a better Singapore :D pls vote for me :D

fclim
12-05-11, 18:47

Sure no. He sacked his staff instead. You Wanna Kena Sack (WKS) issit?

mantrix
12-05-11, 20:59
he reminds me of Leisure Suit Larry...

teddybear
13-05-11, 00:05
1-off only lah, in future possibly even less... :beats-me-man:

Not if you're Dr Susan Lim...

ysyap
13-05-11, 07:40
WP showing cracks already...Eric Tan quitted WP when Gerald Giam was chosen ahead of the older Eric to take the NCMP seat... :spliff2:

fclim
13-05-11, 08:22
Maybe Gerald garnered highest vote in his ward. It shows self interests before party. Guess cannot swallow his pride.

ysyap
13-05-11, 08:32
Eric should join PAP and contest in ECP during next GE... :p

DC33_2008
13-05-11, 09:11
Eric might be the MM equivalent in the WP who keeps telling them how did we come to achieve this today.
Eric should join PAP and contest in ECP during next GE... :p

ysyap
13-05-11, 09:57
Anyway, good that Eric leaves at the beginning of the 5 year cycle than at the end then PAP will surely use it against WP... hahaha!!!:D

devilplate
13-05-11, 09:57
WP showing cracks already...Eric Tan quitted WP when Gerald Giam was chosen ahead of the older Eric to take the NCMP seat... :spliff2:
Hahaha.....

As wat i m expected:cheers6:

Ltk surely knows who to retain.

If lina chiam give up her seat, WP will makan tat seat too....

U guys naively think they will give up tat precious seat for nicole?:tongue3:

ay123
13-05-11, 10:38
Hahaha.....

U guys naively think they will give up tat precious seat for nicole?:tongue3:

this is the standard of Opp :doh:
already internal bleeding even before they swore in. the next fight will be CSM vs LTK :D ..... don know have aljunied voters start their repent :D

ysyap
13-05-11, 10:43
Hahaha.....

U guys naively think they will give up tat precious seat for nicole?:tongue3:WP cannot makan that seat if Lina Chiam give up. One GRC can only appoint 1 person to take the seat (correct me if I'm wrong) and at 43.36%, NSP at Marine Parade is the next in line to appoint only 1 candidate to take that seat. EC GRC can only appoint 1 candidate and that went to Gerald Giam already. So WP can only have 2 seats in the NCMP max (the other going to Joo Chiat SMC). If NSP rejects, then it is still going to SPP at Bishan Toa Payoh at 43.07% followed by NSP again in Tampines at 42.78%. :D

devilplate
13-05-11, 10:51
WP cannot makan that seat if Lina Chiam give up. One GRC can only appoint 1 person to take the seat (correct me if I'm wrong) and at 43.36%, NSP at Marine Parade is the next in line to appoint only 1 candidate to take that seat. EC GRC can only appoint 1 candidate and that went to Gerald Giam already. So WP can only have 2 seats in the NCMP max (the other going to Joo Chiat SMC). If NSP rejects, then it is still going to SPP at Bishan Toa Payoh at 43.07% followed by NSP again in Tampines at 42.78%. :D
Tats not i read wor....wp ec grc can take up 2seats leh...

I stand corrected:tongue3:

ysyap
13-05-11, 10:54
Tats not i read wor....wp ec grc can take up 2seats leh...

I stand corrected:tongue3:Yeah man.. i also confused coz I read many scenarios... Anyway, from historical readings since NCMP was introduced in 1984, the no. of seats offered is always controlled by PAP and how many people from GRC can take the seats has always been kept to only 1 per each losing GRC. Anyway, PAP being PAP, they can always say and dictate anyway they prefer.... hahaha! :o

amk
13-05-11, 11:17
where are all the opposition fans ? what do they have to say abt this Eric Tan story ?

ay123
13-05-11, 11:44
tats why MM Lee said losing a grc is not the end of the world. he know there is a limit in Opp capability. not powerpact enuf to even vibrate, not say to rock :spliff:

ysyap
13-05-11, 12:25
tats why MM Lee said losing a grc is not the end of the world. he know there is a limit in Opp capability. not powerpact enuf to even vibrate, not say to rock :spliff:As much as I would like to agree with you, I observe that the tides are definitely changing. There are 6 GRCs that PAP won with only 50+% votes and another 4 SMCs that PAP won with also only 50+% votes. Unprecedented and risky. It should serve as a wake up call to PAP. They cannot take it for granted again that next election will still win at these 10 GRC/SMCs. Hmm.. Opp may show cracks but PAP already showed so many cracks le... :D

Lord Anus
13-05-11, 13:21
lumpar lah,what crack? karchng crack? eric tan is not even an important member of WP.

westman
13-05-11, 13:49
where are all the opposition fans ? what do they have to say abt this Eric Tan story ?

Heard from insider, Gerard over Eric is for the sake of party leadership renewal.
If we look at ROI for rental return, Eric would probably give yield 15~20 years of rental returns while Gerard can potentially yield 30~35 years of returns in rental..

westman
13-05-11, 13:54
As much as I would like to agree with you, I observe that the tides are definitely changing. There are 6 GRCs that PAP won with only 50+% votes and another 4 SMCs that PAP won with also only 50+% votes. Unprecedented and risky. It should serve as a wake up call to PAP. They cannot take it for granted again that next election will still win at these 10 GRC/SMCs. Hmm.. Opp may show cracks but PAP already showed so many cracks le... :D

take a look at this map and you will noticed PAP will have a uphill tasks next GE at East Singapore...

It is likes " No amount of gerrymandering effort can help to PAP to win comfortably" if you study the map carefully...

Also, there are tell tale signs that the big swing comes from middle income group...

ysyap
13-05-11, 13:56
lumpar lah,what crack? karchng crack? eric tan is not even an important member of WP.Crack, holes, disagreement, own goals, whatever you call it. Isn't this what we've been saying about PAP when they have internal disagreements? LBH left then we say PAP not united anymore. SM and MM say things only for PM to come and cushion those statements, then we say PAP have disagreements... Face it. No political party is perfect. It is what they can deliver over the next 5 years that matters... :spliff2:

ysyap
13-05-11, 13:58
take a look at this map and you will noticed PAP will have a uphill tasks next GE at East Singapore...

It is likes " No amount of gerrymandering effort can help to PAP to win comfortably" if you study the map carefully...

Also, there are tell tale signs that the big swing comes from middle income group...Insightful map.... Hmmm... again its a wake up call... :scared-2:

amk
13-05-11, 14:14
Face it. No political party is perfect. It is what they can deliver over the next 5 years that matters... :spliff2:
+1 clap clap !

dun even for a minute think this politics game is all about justice and equality ;)

fclim
13-05-11, 14:36
It is pretty obvious why Gerald was chosen. By 2015, Eric will be 60 yo and Gerald, 39yo. WP is pushing for young voters and it appears Gerald can connect better, at least he is of the same generation.

The writing was already on the wall. Prior to the election, Gerald was on national TV representing WP instead of Eric.

On the map, Singapore is now divided into East and West. East with more Opp supporters. Mostly middle class and Singapore born citizens...

gn108
13-05-11, 14:55
Definitely not a good show by the Oppo/WP in general to have Eric walk off like this. Many can plainly see why Gerald is more suited for Parliament - he is the type of candidate LTK wants.

Eric is more the old-school 'ra-ra' opposition candidate. You can hear it in their speeches and styles.

I can see how this affects him. That said - Eric shouldn't have walked off in a huff. He should have resigned later - say 3 months later.

ysyap
13-05-11, 15:17
Definitely not a good show by the Oppo/WP in general to have Eric walk off like this. Many can plainly see why Gerald is more suited for Parliament - he is the type of candidate LTK wants.

Eric is more the old-school 'ra-ra' opposition candidate. You can hear it in their speeches and styles.

I can see how this affects him. That said - Eric shouldn't have walked off in a huff. He should have resigned later - say 3 months later.Since he felt betrayed by WP, leaving immediately would just help him get back at WP and leave an unpleasant impact on the party... :D

devilplate
13-05-11, 15:21
Heard from insider, Gerard over Eric is for the sake of party leadership renewal.
If we look at ROI for rental return, Eric would probably give yield 15~20 years of rental returns while Gerard can potentially yield 30~35 years of returns in rental..

Gerald is 100time more popular den lau eric.... As simple as tat :)

ysyap
13-05-11, 15:53
Gerald is 100time more popular den lau eric.... As simple as tat :)The truth hurts but that's the order of life... :banghead:

hopeful
13-05-11, 18:12

Also, there are tell tale signs that the big swing comes from middle income group...
can still gerrymander la. need to show individual blocks, the more details the better.

Anyway, need to concentrate opposition voters in a single GRC.
So lets say Aljunied win 99% of votes, but they still win only 6 seats.

So buy or don't buy D15 properties?

The map colouring brings back memories of Red soviets versus Blue nato.

ysyap
14-05-11, 07:36
can still gerrymander la. need to show individual blocks, the more details the better.

Anyway, need to concentrate opposition voters in a single GRC.
So lets say Aljunied win 99% of votes, but they still win only 6 seats.

So buy or don't buy D15 properties?

The map colouring brings back memories of Red soviets versus Blue nato.Don't worry... if its private ppty, opp or PAP place also can buy. Hougang and Potong Pasir private ppty did not suffer at all. Even HDB also did not suffer much so don't worry, just cheong!!! :D Greenback vs Sing is in our favor... Huat ah!

ysyap
16-05-11, 19:51
The Returning Officer for the General Election, Mr Yam Ah Mee, has declared in a government gazette three opposition candidates as Non-Constituency Members of Parliament (NCMPs).

They are Madam Loh Woon Lee Lina, who is known as Mrs Lina Chiam, from the Singapore People's Party and Mr Gerald Giam and Mr Yee Jenn Jong from the Workers' Party.

ysyap
16-05-11, 19:55
Check out the latest youtube video on TPL...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3io6To62wM&feature=player_embedded filmed in 2008 when she was only 24. :D

land118
16-05-11, 20:24
Check out the latest youtube video on TPL...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3io6To62wM&feature=player_embedded filmed in 2008 when she was only 24. :D
Really it's TPL. Wow...., so much things people can dig out...., amazing

Regulators
16-05-11, 20:24
Lina chiam wasting hot seat in parliament, just like tin peiling
The Returning Officer for the General Election, Mr Yam Ah Mee, has declared in a government gazette three opposition candidates as Non-Constituency Members of Parliament (NCMPs).

They are Madam Loh Woon Lee Lina, who is known as Mrs Lina Chiam, from the Singapore People's Party and Mr Gerald Giam and Mr Yee Jenn Jong from the Workers' Party.

land118
16-05-11, 20:28
Lina chiam wasting hot seat in parliament, just like tin peiling

With all due respect to CST, Lina would need many "lifeline" and "call a friend" help many times in parliament, when kena wack by PAP in discussion..., maybe she should get CST live on her ear piece all the time...to parrot CST answers....

ysyap
17-05-11, 07:40
Lina chiam wasting hot seat in parliament, just like tin peilingNo lah... she won't stomp stomp feet when don't know how to answer in parliament... :p

ysyap
18-05-11, 16:12
PM set to announce new cabinet later today..

taggy
18-05-11, 16:36
PM set to announce new cabinet later today..

The Straits Times
The changes mean that there are new heads for 11 of the 14 ministries.

The Straits Times
New MPs Heng Swee Keat and Chan Chun Sing are Education Minister and Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports.

The Straits Times
Gan Kim Yong is the new Minister for Health and Lui Tuck Yew has been appointed Transport Minister.

The Straits Times
Dr Ng Eng Hen is now Defence Minister and Vivian Balakrishnan will helm the Ministry for Environment and Water Resources.

The Straits Times
Mr Khaw Boon Wan is the new Minister for National Development and Dr Yaacob Ibrahim has been put in charge of MICA.

The Straits Times
Mr Teo Chee Hean, who remains DPM, will head the Home Affairs Ministry.

The Straits Times
There will be a new DPM in Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who will remain Finance Minister and take over the Manpower Ministry as well.

The Straits Times
Mr K Shanmugam will take over George Yeo as the new Foreign Affairs Minister. He remains in charge of the Ministry of Law.

The Straits Times
SM Goh will also have the title of Emeritus Senior Minister.

The Straits Times
PM Lee has accepted MM Lee and SM Goh's retirement. He has appointed MM Lee Senior Adviser to GIC and SM Goh Senior Adviser to MAS.

The Straits Times
PM Lee has announced major changes to the Cabinet lineup. Wong Kan Seng, Mah Bow Tan and Raymond Lim will be retiring from Cabinet.

ay123
18-05-11, 16:43
The Straits Times

The Straits Times
New MPs Heng Swee Keat and Chan Chun Sing are Education Minister and Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports.

The Straits Times
Gan Kim Yong is the new Minister for Health and Lui Tuck Yew has been appointed Transport Minister.

The Straits Times
Dr Ng Eng Hen is now Defence Minister and Vivian Balakrishnan will helm the Ministry for Environment and Water Resources.

The Straits Times
Mr Khaw Boon Wan is the new Minister for National Development and Dr Yaacob Ibrahim has been put in charge of MICA.

The Straits Times

The Straits Times
There will be a new DPM in Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who will remain Finance Minister and take over the Manpower Ministry as well.

The Straits Times
Mr K Shanmugam will take over George Yeo as the new Foreign Affairs Minister. He remains in charge of the Ministry of Law.

The Straits Times

The Straits Times
PM Lee has accepted MM Lee and SM Goh's retirement. He has appointed MM Lee Senior Adviser to GIC and SM Goh Senior Adviser to MAS.

The Straits Times
PM Lee has announced major changes to the Cabinet lineup. Wong Kan Seng, Mah Bow Tan and Raymond Lim will be retiring from Cabinet.

raymond lim kana axe so fast??

ysyap
18-05-11, 16:44
The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times
PM Lee has announced major changes to the Cabinet lineup. Wong Kan Seng, Mah Bow Tan and Raymond Lim will be retiring from Cabinet.A new era has began in PAP... Looking forward to see how KBW respond to property market le... hahaha... MBT maybe asked to step down by PM... along with WKS, too risky to continue in their respective portfolio...:D

ysyap
18-05-11, 16:44
The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times

The Straits Times
PM Lee has announced major changes to the Cabinet lineup. Wong Kan Seng, Mah Bow Tan and Raymond Lim will be retiring from Cabinet.A new era has began in PAP... Looking forward to see how KBW respond to property market le... hahaha... MBT maybe asked to step down by PM... along with WKS, too risky to continue in their respective portfolio...:D

taggy
18-05-11, 16:48
A new era has began in PAP... Looking forward to see how KBW respond to property market le... hahaha... MBT maybe asked to step down by PM... along with WKS, too risky to continue in their respective portfolio...:D

dun noe who will take over LKY for Chairman of GIC, and GCT for Chairman of MAS ?

proud owner
18-05-11, 16:56
A new era has began in PAP... Looking forward to see how KBW respond to property market le... hahaha... MBT maybe asked to step down by PM... along with WKS, too risky to continue in their respective portfolio...:D

basket

i sleeping ... friends in spore called to tell me goodnews
that WKS and MBT are out ...

ok back to sleep

hopeful
18-05-11, 17:07
What is this?

Still minister or not?

hopeful
18-05-11, 17:08
wah, MBT and WKS salary cut by $1million :scared-4:. wonder whether they can still afford their mortgage????

hopeful
18-05-11, 17:10

good news, we are going to have $8 HDB flat soon:D.

proud owner
18-05-11, 17:12
wah, MBT and WKS salary cut by $1million :scared-4:. wonder whether they can still afford their mortgage????

i tell you ...they will disappear ....
just like CJ Yong

taggy
18-05-11, 17:14
good news, we are going to have $8 HDB flat soon:D.

ya rite, but he may say "mean testing" for all to who want to get subsidie HDB flat :D

hopeful
18-05-11, 17:19
devilplate, activate your agents. ready for firesale from WKS and MBT.
time to get your landed ;)

devilplate
18-05-11, 18:01
dun noe who will take over LKY for Chairman of GIC, and GCT for Chairman of MAS ?
Lhl n tharman:D

18-05-11, 18:02

Got pension right? Got enough to pay right?:p

devilplate
18-05-11, 18:03
Haha....firesale from them?:rolleyes:

Mah Ni Na Bay
18-05-11, 18:21
Brothers, when hopeful said that their salaries cut by one million, he meant AFTER pension component. So if they were earning $3m minister salary previously, now their pension is $2m a year for as long as they live.

Shiok right?

Their MP salary of $15k per month can be used to play baccarat at MBS.

jwong71
18-05-11, 18:26
Haha....firesale from them?:rolleyes:

they shld haf a taste of the commoners life,and stay in hdb..

then they will have better way to control hdb, and leave the pte alone.

ysyap
18-05-11, 19:10
Got several new MPs kanna arrow for minister role... Hmmm... LHL very daring huh??? Maybe these new blood is considered a better risk than sticking with WKS and MBT... What about TPL? New minister??? :scared-4:

maisonjai
18-05-11, 20:46
TPL busy @ police station for playing FB on cooling day :D