PDA

View Full Version : West Facing Landed

Movehouseloh
04-04-11, 11:21
Hi all, need some advice and feedback.

Are west facing inter-terraces very hot even in the evening/night due to the long exposure to the west sun in the day?

Has anyone lived in a west facing terrace and what are your feedbacks?

Are the following solutions viable...coating the windows, bamboo blinds, curtains exterior paint work, growing bamboo plants etc to alleviate the exposure?

Lastly is it even advisable to get a landed facing the west?

Thanks all

zzz1
04-04-11, 11:37

Are west facing inter-terraces very hot even in the evening/night due to the long exposure to the west sun in the day?

Are the following solutions viable...coating the windows, bamboo blinds, curtains exterior paint work, growing bamboo plants etc to alleviate the exposure?

Thanks all

It will...

expecially when your left and right PLUS the back are areadly A&A.

Look at the configuation layout...the windows for the rooms some are facing the hall or kitchen...the ventilation will be a problem

If do the extended canopy...the unit become dark...using the plants will only help abit...

if you plan to A&A, the ventilation will be better but u still have the sun facing anyway..and that will not that bad..

haven said that...sometime no choice..the area if got the mixture of semi-d and terrrace. the better facing will be on the semi d side....this what i observed..

devilplate
04-04-11, 11:37

Thanks all
if can build sunshade to shield the sun....den shd be ok...:2cents:

Wild Falcon
04-04-11, 11:54
Should be ok. Most landed is low which means the west sun impact is diminished. Also, imagine u bot a bungalow, north south east west also got facing one right, or semi D - willl face 3 sides.

So in short, very hard to completely avoid west sun facing in landed, unless it's those dark dark terrace house lor. And in that case, u may actually prefer some sunshine in the house.

And landed is always hotter - becos the heat permeates from the roof.

sfwoo
04-04-11, 12:17
Should be ok. Most landed is low which means the west sun impact is diminished. Also, imagine u bot a bungalow, north south east west also got facing one right, or semi D - willl face 3 sides.

So in short, very hard to completely avoid west sun facing in landed, unless it's those dark dark terrace house lor. And in that case, u may actually prefer some sunshine in the house.

And landed is always hotter - becos the heat permeates from the roof.

For those dark dark inter-terraces, look for big big airwells.

Very cooling.

No matter the facing.

Movehouseloh
04-04-11, 12:33
Thanks all...is it true that for west facing landed, there is typically less wind flow as well?

Is there such a thing as "discount" off market rate for west facing units?

Thanks again...

chiaberry
04-04-11, 12:40

Thanks all

I live in a landed bungalow. Some of the rooms face west. Even though there is dense jungle/rainforest (nature reserve land) directly behind us in that direction but it doesn't shield particularly well. Those west-facing rooms are very very hot (like oven) in the afternoon. The sun heats up the brick/roof (just like an OVEN). We successfully use solar panels for our water heater and get nice hot water in the afternoon for bathing/washing. The west-facing rooms all have to use air-con. But the other facings are not air-conditioned.

Movehouseloh
04-04-11, 13:00
Thanks Chiaberry, does the heat subside in the evening (say 7pm) or is it still hot through the night?

The unit I have viewed have 3 out of 5 rooms facing west and I do not want to rely too much on air conditioning (unless in the hot months)...

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again

wannabe
04-04-11, 13:26
Never buy a direct west facing landed.
My room has west sun although my terrace faces the east.
my aircon is switched on all the time.
I'm moving out soon.

zzz1
04-04-11, 14:14
Thanks Chiaberry, does the heat subside in the evening (say 7pm) or is it still hot through the night?

The unit I have viewed have 3 out of 5 rooms facing west and I do not want to rely too much on air conditioning (unless in the hot months)...

Thanks again

the brick and motar is like a sponge conducted the heat and release slowing thru the night. U properly need to add insulation and stuff....

Actually not much of the choice on the facing..if possible try to avoid...
if need to have...you need to have a good ventilation , that will help abit ..

sfwoo
04-04-11, 14:35
Also must see if shaded or not, view in the late afternoon.

I got 2 rooms west facing.

But got condo and tall trees planted by condo providing shade...so the walls do not emanate heat thru the night.

Movehouseloh
04-04-11, 15:18
Thanks all!!...Will recce this evening.

chiaberry
04-04-11, 15:52

Thanks again

Depends on the season. It can be hot through the night at certain times of year. We are next to unblocked greenery on the west facing side which doesn't protect us from the heat. Not sure if a high rise condo on that side would give better protection. If your unit is on high ground and in a windy area perhaps the wind might help to neutralize the hot sun effect. The sun will also bleach your flooring/curtains/blinds in exposed areas.

land118
04-04-11, 17:27
Generally, so far no discount even for west facing for landed. Used to stay in SW inter, have 2 trees blocking the sun, quite ok. Trees somehow do provide an cooling effect. Personally, as long not directly west, am ok..., for me a bright house is better than a dark house..., some sunlight is actually good

wind30
06-04-11, 07:37
Generally, so far no discount even for west facing for landed. Used to stay in SW inter, have 2 trees blocking the sun, quite ok. Trees somehow do provide an cooling effect. Personally, as long not directly west, am ok..., for me a bright house is better than a dark house..., some sunlight is actually good

mine is NW facing, at a 37deg angle (ie closer to north)

Bear in mind the sun changes position A LOT throughout the year, though now is the "average sun path".

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/singapore.html

My place in DEC, I don't get afternoon sun at ALL. But come June, I get more than 45deg afternoon sun. There is also huge tree that somewhat covers my place.

I don't think I felt the baking effect though but I have to wait until June before I feel the strongest afternoon sun again.

Ultimately, you WILL get afternoon sun, either from the front or the back sometime in the year. I guess the MAIN thing is not to get DIRECT west facing.

wind30
06-04-11, 07:43

I think west and east facing both equally bad.

Best case is NS facing. Even NS facing will be bright in the day time lah.... as long as you have adequate windows.

land118
06-04-11, 08:07
I think west and east facing both equally bad.

Best case is NS facing. Even NS facing will be bright in the day time lah.... as long as you have adequate windows.
U r right, NS would be ideal with windows...., but not always able to find the perfect plot, house, neighbors and other factors in place. Always about decision making, price and location and personal preference. worth buying or not

devilplate
06-04-11, 08:49
most imptly is the PRICE and LOCATION

west sun....install sunshade and high end solar film and blackout curtains:D

stl67
06-04-11, 10:27
U r right, NS would be ideal with windows...., but not always able to find the perfect plot, house, neighbors and other factors in place. Always about decision making, price and location and personal preference. worth buying or not

My facing is SE. More towards the south side. So I will get morning Sun in the living room. Afternoon the living room is quite cooling.:)

I planted a tree that has a few layers of umbrella shape type. Very good effect to block out the noon heat. Only problem is that the carpet grass all die as there is no sunlight.

06-04-11, 10:33
Think you should ask for viewing in the afternoon, early evening and see whether you and your family are comfortable with the heat within.

Apr to June is a good time to view, as this is probably the hottest time of the year. If can tahan the heat during this period can tahan during any other periods of the year.

Thanks all!!...Will recce this evening.

gn108
06-04-11, 11:18
To each his own, but this is the reason I'm don't miss staying in landed.
Heat.
Regardless of the orientation, heat gets in, thro' the roof.
Paint work on the west side fades and gets powdery faster than the cooler sides.
Landscaping - think of trees/grass - then worry about termites and bugs.

And thats only if your neighbours don't give you headaches (95% they don;t).

Landed holds it's value coz of supply and ownership rules. But then again, ask those affected by the new central highway...it's FH until the govt takes it away for the public good...so choose carefully on location as well...

Movehouseloh
06-04-11, 11:33
Good inter or corner terraces are hard to come by these days....I see alot of lousy ones in the market ...chiong road, face main road, west facing, super old asking ridiculous price ...

The better ones are all snap up really fast even with the run up in price...

Patiently looking......

Thanks all...

chiaberry
06-04-11, 12:08
Heat.
Paint work on the west side fades and gets powdery faster than the cooler sides.

Landed holds it's value coz of supply and ownership rules. But then again, ask those affected by the new central highway...it's FH until the govt takes it away for the public good...so choose carefully on location as well...

Agreed. Add mosquitoes, lizards, spiders, bird shit, birds building nest in yr roof, monkeys and even snakes (if you live near nature reserve). There is a lot of maintenance to do on the exterior and gardens. Most terraces on the market now need serious A&A (therefore serious $$$ flying out of the window) or else new ones are either 99 leasehold or not worth the price. A&A also expensive now with materials and transport costs going up and contractors/designers heavily booked (due to good economy). All in all not such a good time to buy a landed terrace house. My 2 :2cents:

zzz1
06-04-11, 14:25
mine is NW facing, at a 37deg angle (ie closer to north)

Bear in mind the sun changes position A LOT throughout the year, though now is the "average sun path".

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/singapore.html

My place in DEC, I don't get afternoon sun at ALL. But come June, I get more than 45deg afternoon sun. There is also huge tree that somewhat covers my place.

I don't think I felt the baking effect though but I have to wait until June before I feel the strongest afternoon sun again.

Ultimately, you WILL get afternoon sun, either from the front or the back sometime in the year. I guess the MAIN thing is not to get DIRECT west facing.

if remember correctly, on the 21 dec , during sunset, the sun will set at a angle 22.5 ' south west and on 21 june , sunset at 22.5 ' northwest before seting back, and like wise for morning the setting angle . this is call the solar window..

if based on trpical north .. singapore weather during may to jul is the hottest, the hse facing the north west will be worst hit

land118
06-04-11, 17:07
My facing is SE. More towards the south side. So I will get morning Sun in the living room. Afternoon the living room is quite cooling.:)

I planted a tree that has a few layers of umbrella shape type. Very good effect to block out the noon heat. Only problem is that the carpet grass all die as there is no sunlight. On the carpet grass, yes need sunlight. Re-turf my carpet grass 3 times in 5 years, in the end gave up. Gardener recommend pearl grass..., now happy, less maintenance, no need to worry so much liao.

stl67
06-04-11, 17:38
On the carpet grass, yes need sunlight. Re-turf my carpet grass 3 times in 5 years, in the end gave up. Gardener recommend pearl grass..., now happy, less maintenance, no need to worry so much liao.

i spend $ and time to keep the carpet grass alive and in the end give up?

do you need sunlight for pearl grass?

land118
06-04-11, 17:46
i spend $ and time to keep the carpet grass alive and in the end give up?

do you need sunlight for pearl grass? Pearl Grass also need some sunlight but not critical. If no sunlight or little sunlight, pearl grass will grow upwards. If have sunlight, they grow sideways.., but very slow growth...

You can google about pearl grass...

Interesting forum on gardening u may want to take a look:

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9590-gardening-for-newbie/

wind30
06-04-11, 20:43
if based on trpical north .. singapore weather during may to jul is the hottest, the hse facing the north west will be worst hit

May Jul is the hottest but not by much. 1 deg difference only.

wind30
06-04-11, 20:51
Heat.

Actually that is why roof insulation is so impt.

My current place I did reroofing and the contractor kept the old fibre glass insulation and added new paper insulation under my new roof tiles. That coupled with the large air space beneath the roof, there isn't really much heat coming from the roof.

Nowadays a lot of people do roof top terrace or those 2.5 or 3.5 storeys with attic. The attic is just too hot. I have colleagues who complained that their attic is very hot.

My garden is pearl grass. Never cut grass for over a year. Called the gardener once before only. Not much insects unless it rains. We don't even have ants because we don't cook.

My left neighbour is an old couple with a daughter. My left neighbour is only back during new year/christmas for family gatherings.

I REALLY like the peace and quiet...

land118
06-04-11, 20:59
My garden is pearl grass. Never cut grass for over a year. Called the gardener once before only. Not much insects unless it rains. We don't even have ants because we don't cook.

My left neighbour is an old couple with a daughter. My left neighbour is only back during new year/christmas for family gatherings.

I REALLY like the peace and quiet...
landed not for everyone. If u like nature, gardening, maybe suitable. I like gardening, even have birds setting up nests in trees. Have a water feature, all the time can hear the trickling of water....kinda of relaxing...and some fishes in my small pond. Also have a marine fish tank indoor....

Ya, ever since I re turf to pearl grass, 1 year already, no headache, haven't even cut....best advice I got from gardener thus far..., no regrets.

devilplate
06-04-11, 22:24
landed not for everyone. If u like nature, gardening, maybe suitable. I like gardening, even have birds setting up nests in trees. Have a water feature, all the time can hear the trickling of water....kinda of relaxing...and some fishes in my small pond. Also have a marine fish tank indoor....

Ya, ever since I re turf to pearl grass, 1 year already, no headache, haven't even cut....best advice I got from gardener thus far..., no regrets.

u retired?....sounds like one:D

got doggy too?

land118
06-04-11, 23:34
u retired?....sounds like one:D

got doggy too?
Not yet..., no dogs for me..., just fishes...:D

wind30
07-04-11, 09:27

I hate gardening but I like staying at my place a lot.

If your property has a HUGE garden then maybe it is tough. My place only small patch so not really much work at all.. :)

For those small inter terrace, the difference is not really huge. I think you are just sacrificing amenities for bigger living space.

To me the PEACE and QUIET (formally I had a super noisy upstairs neighbour) and 2x the living space is the key.

devilplate
07-04-11, 09:28
I hate gardening but I like staying at my place a lot.

If your property has a HUGE garden then maybe it is tough. My place only small patch so not really much work at all.. :)

For those small inter terrace, the difference is not really huge. I think you are just sacrificing amenities for bigger living space.

To me the PEACE and QUIET (formally I had a super noisy upstairs neighbour) and 2x the living space is the key.

still manageable with just 1 maid....? or u hf 2 now?

wind30
07-04-11, 09:33
still manageable with just 1 maid....? or u hf 2 now?

?? we have no maid. And my wife works too.

devilplate
07-04-11, 09:35
?? we have no maid. And my wife works too.

wah...how big is ur built up? u must b enjoying doing hsework:)

wind30
07-04-11, 10:06
wah...how big is ur built up? u must b enjoying doing hsework:)

built up is 2500sqft. I don't do housework either.

my wife does everything. We have 4 toilets but we only use 1. We turn on aircon 90% of the time so not much dusts gets in. There isn't much dust anyway as it is not near main road. We don't cook.

All we do is wash house once a week.

devilplate
07-04-11, 10:10
built up is 2500sqft. I don't do housework either.

my wife does everything. We have 4 toilets but we only use 1. We turn on aircon 90% of the time so not much dusts gets in. There isn't much dust anyway as it is not near main road. We don't cook.

All we do is wash house once a week.

pity ur wife:p

Duku
07-04-11, 12:09
Agreed. Add mosquitoes, lizards, spiders, bird shit, birds building nest in yr roof, monkeys and even snakes (if you live near nature reserve). There is a lot of maintenance to do on the exterior and gardens. Most terraces on the market now need serious A&A (therefore serious $$$ flying out of the window) or else new ones are either 99 leasehold or not worth the price. A&A also expensive now with materials and transport costs going up and contractors/designers heavily booked (due to good economy). All in all not such a good time to buy a landed terrace house. My 2 :2cents:
Had been staying in landed for the last few years. So far no problems with monkey and snakes :) Lizards are common. mosquitos can be prevented with baygon mosquito electric repellent

As for maintenance, for landed you dont have to pay maintence fee vs condo. let's assume maintence fee for condo is 300 per month , you save 3600 per year. over 5 years, you save 18000 . In addition, dont forget, condos have sinking funds. If you happen to stay in a small development, this can add up. Especially when the facilities need to be repaired or repaint every 5 to 7 years. This should easily add up another 10 K or so per unit.

So Effectively landed over 5 years, save 18K + 10 K = 28K
That should be enough for repainting the house interior and exterior every 5 years.

As for price... landed should appreciate over the years. It's a limited in supply and with a projection of 6.5 to 7 M population, my gut feel is that prices will be sticky on the downside. So to me, anytime is always a good time to buy landed given its characteristics.
:2cents:

DC33_2008
07-04-11, 13:20
Landed property is really convenient as one does not need to take a lift or carry the grocery over a distance. Car is well protected from the sun and does not need to worry about dents/markings make by another car especially if new ones.

land118
07-04-11, 20:45
Landed property is really convenient as one does not need to take a lift or carry the grocery over a distance. Car is well protected from the sun and does not need to worry about dents/markings make by another car especially if new ones.
But one need to stand by maintenance crew as it is self maintenance. I have a List of regular contractors to call anytime in case I need them:
AutoGate, Electrician, plumber, handyman, roof specialist, gardener, pest control, aircon maintenance, pond cleaner and general contractor (painting, tiling,etc).

chiaberry
07-04-11, 21:44
But one need to stand by maintenance crew as it is self maintenance. I have a List of regular contractors to call anytime in case I need them:
AutoGate, Electrician, plumber, handyman, roof specialist, gardener, pest control, aircon maintenance, pond cleaner and general contractor (painting, tiling,etc).

haha you are your own Managing Agent for the estate. Cheers! :cheers1:

devilplate
07-04-11, 21:46

so it can be quite a headache if u rent out ur landed? will tenant keep calling u tat this spoil tat not working?

land118
07-04-11, 22:04
so it can be quite a headache if u rent out ur landed? will tenant keep calling u tat this spoil tat not working? Not sure, both my left and right neighbours are expats. I long long time see owners 1 time if happen to bump into him. Other day saw 1 owner coming, probably to get collect cheque. Maybe need to get Agent to structure the lease such that once hand over, minor maintenance is tenant responsibility except for major works like roof leak, etc. Other than that, gardening, pest control, electrical, plumbing, etc tenant must do la, if not become 24hour mobile maintenance agent liao. If i have to rent out, will give my list to tenant, anything call my list of regular crew.....

Last month, I saw my french neighbour getting contractor ..., after 1 week when i returned from overseas, his gate painted, mango tree cut down and replanted with another tree, wooden windows touchup..., am impressed; only wonder if it is at neighbour tenant 's expense or ...

chiaberry
07-04-11, 22:45
so it can be quite a headache if u rent out ur landed? will tenant keep calling u tat this spoil tat not working?

That's my thinking. When we lived abroad, we had a landed property and an apartment. When we left, we sold the landed because not sure how to deal with the maintenance issues (garden, etc).

irene2016
11-04-11, 14:21
Hi, land118
Can I know how often do you engage your roof specialist to check the roof and what are the things that he will check? what is the cost? Thanks.

land118
11-04-11, 14:55
Hi, land118
Can I know how often do you engage your roof specialist to check the roof and what are the things that he will check? what is the cost? Thanks. Have replied you and pass u a contact. Depend on the extend of repair.