PDA

View Full Version : Singapore swap offer rate halves in just a week

mr funny
25-02-11, 20:53
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,427763,00.html?

Published February 25, 2011

Singapore swap offer rate halves in just a week

By SIOW LI SEN

(SINGAPORE) The Singapore swap offer rate (SOR) plummeted to fresh lows yesterday on further inflationary worries stoked by the turmoil in Libya.

The three-month SOR which is charged on many home loans fell to 0.07988, halving from 0.14138 just last week.

On Wednesday, the government said that January inflation surged to 5.5 per cent, taking some economists by surprise at the accelerating pace of price increases.

More importantly, month-on-month (seasonally adjusted) inflation surged to a 30-year high of 1.3 per cent, noted Citi economist Kit Wei Zheng.

Coupled with developments in Libya, it is a one way street for the Singapore unit to go higher as the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) uses a stronger currency to temper price hikes.

'Simply put, high inflation equals even greater chance of MAS tightening really, which is what the FX markets are pricing in, and that is therefore being transmitted to the SOR fixings,' said Mr Kit.

But still, the dramatic movements in the SOR which is affected by foreign exchange rates could be temporary, a liquidity surge caused by unwinding of positions, said Leong Wai Ho, a Barclays Capital economist. 'Oil is the catalyst, its positions being liquidated due to oil movements.'

Brent crude yesterday hit US$116 a barrel on fears that chaos in Libya could lead to an oil shortage. It was just under US$100 two weeks ago.

Adding to liquidity is the sale in the equity markets and it seems that all the money is being parked in the Singapore dollar.

'At the end of the day, people consider the Singdollar safe haven,' said Chia Woon Khien, Royal Bank of Scotland's head of local markets strategy.

Mr Kit said: 'Of course, one can argue that there is a risk premium being imputed on emerging markets, but given its AAA sovereign, Singapore is generally seen as a relative safe haven.'

Is the SOR headed for zero then?

'Well, the SOR is a derived rate, so it could theoretically go to zero or even beyond,' said Selena Ling, OCBC Bank economist. 'But I think this could create problems for the marketplace given that some loan packages use the SOR as the benchmark, and may also engender the wrong market behaviour (possibly in the property market). One key question is whether some intervention may be warranted?'

mr funny
25-02-11, 20:53
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2011-02-25/swap25.jpg

azeoprop
25-02-11, 22:48
yey!...my minton is SOR +0.6% for first 2 yrs! :rolleyes:

hopeful
26-02-11, 07:55
yey!...my minton is SOR +0.6% for first 2 yrs! :rolleyes:

only those with TOP properties are happy :)
during construction, not much savings for first 2 years

azeoprop
26-02-11, 08:49
yah loh....but better than nothing haa haa..:p

sh
26-02-11, 21:04
I'm a very happy person :D :cheers1:

DC33_2008
27-02-11, 12:16
What comes down fast can also go up fast given the volatility of SOR?

zzz1
27-02-11, 19:24
What comes down fast can also go up fast given the volatility of SOR?

agreed with your pts. good for those to lock in the period for homestay

sh
27-02-11, 20:39
the problem is the fixed rate loans in that the so-called fixed rate is for at most 3 years. If it is for the entire tenure, I would be tempted at the current low rates.

I can't say rates will be low for the next 3 years, but I'll take my chances... SOR Rates should be low for at least another year... Take why i opted for the SOR pegged rates

Condo Kaiser
28-02-11, 02:43
My DBS banker has offered me 5 years lock in rate before. 2% fixed for 5 years. Think got 10 years also but higher rate.

I feel now still too early to lock in. SIBOR and SOR will remain low for much of 2011. Towards Q3/4 I will be looking to refinance my entire portfolio to fixed rate.:hell-hath-no-fury: By then I believe still can get less than 1.5% fixed for 3 years.

Singapore is importing a lot of inflation from the China and India so SGD will strengthen, interest rate will still follow US Fed Fund rate.

Fingers crossed.

sh
28-02-11, 17:20
My DBS banker has offered me 5 years lock in rate before. 2% fixed for 5 years. Think got 10 years also but higher rate.

I feel now still too early to lock in. SIBOR and SOR will remain low for much of 2011. Towards Q3/4 I will be looking to refinance my entire portfolio to fixed rate.:hell-hath-no-fury: By then I believe still can get less than 1.5% fixed for 3 years.

Singapore is importing a lot of inflation from the China and India so SGD will strengthen, interest rate will still follow US Fed Fund rate.

Fingers crossed.

That's what I'm thinking too. Wait for another couple of years before considering a fixed rate loan....

rattydrama
14-03-11, 06:43
only those with TOP properties are happy :)
during construction, not much savings for first 2 years
I got sor+ 0.5 for first year and +0.90 for second year. TOPped.

rattydrama
14-03-11, 06:44
That's what I'm thinking too. Wait for another couple of years before considering a fixed rate loan.... maybe year end can review couple of years in 2013 like not too possible??

Inagaki
16-03-11, 11:09
Anyone knows how to hedge interest rate? At the present rate, it will be very attractive to lock in the rates using hedge.

I'm thinking of futures..but have not found out how to go about yet.

devilplate
16-03-11, 11:16
Anyone knows how to hedge interest rate? At the present rate, it will be very attractive to lock in the rates using hedge.

wah so chimm....i aso wana noe how...

i am actually waiting for int rate to go up leh....wana buy bonds wor....if not my toilet paper useless leh

azeoprop
16-03-11, 13:23
wah so chimm....i aso wana noe how...

i am actually waiting for int rate to go up leh....wana buy bonds wor....if not my toilet paper useless leh

Your Audi waiting for you....:rolleyes:

phantom_opera
16-03-11, 15:06

In Singapore, it is very hard for retail player to hedge anything because derivatives are normally open to professional fund managers only or the cost of hedging could be prohibitive for retail player.

For example, it should be possible to hedge potential future profit by buying a property put option tied to URA property index for CCR after you immediately sell a CCR property. But no such derivative market leh :mad:

As for hedging interest rate risk, there are 2 ways:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interest_rate_swap
2. Short bonds (as rate increases, bond prices fall), but I am not sure whether you can even short the HDB bonds

Inagaki
16-03-11, 21:30
There's actually a futures product on SGX with respect to interest rate.

http://www.sgx.com/wps/portal/marketplace/mp-en/products/derivatives_products/interest_rate/singapore_dollar

While we can trade other contracts using Phillips POEMS, I can't access this product via POEMS. It's quite an interesting avenue. I will post more when I find out more.

That much I know. As for interest swap mentioned by phantom, where can we access this? I'm sure there's some kind of avenue.

Or even if we can buy some sort of interest derivative for US rates should be ok, since the Singapore interest rate follows the US closely, it's a good proxy.

silver023
23-03-11, 07:53
Folks,

FYI - the banks seem to be moving to remove SOR packages. Now, only UOB and CIMB have SOR packages.

bargain hunter
23-03-11, 08:55
thanks for the info. but did these 2 banks raise their margins? ie how many % + SOR?

Folks,

FYI - the banks seem to be moving to remove SOR packages. Now, only UOB and CIMB have SOR packages.

devilplate
23-03-11, 11:53
Folks,

i aso heard it.....SOR is simply too low for the banks to do any hedging:2cents: