PDA

View Full Version : Inflation erodes your CPF savings and cash

phantom_opera
23-02-11, 16:35
I am starting a new thread to track inflation ... don't believe in CPI number, the actual inflation is much higher, paste price hike of any item you know in this thread.

INFLATION hit a 27-month high in January, surprising even the most bullish of economists.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) rose 5.5 per cent in January, higher than the 4.65 per cent average expectation among private sector economists.

The bulk of the increase was due to rising private transport costs, as well as housing and food.

The last time the CPI hit 5.5 per cent was in October 2008, and the higher inflation recorded last month has prompted economists to raise expectations of a tighter monetary policy, when the Monetary Authority of Singapore releases their first of two policy statements for the year in April.

Last week, the Government unveiled a slew of policies and cash handouts to help families, especially low-income households, cope with the rising cost of living.

phantom_opera
23-02-11, 16:38
COE premiums have risen across the board after easing a little during the last bidding exercise.

The COE premium for cars above 1,600cc ended at $62,000 - a rise of $8,600 or 16.1 per cent.

For Open COEs, which can be used for any vehicle type but which end up being used mainly for bigger cars - the premium registered a 5.3 per cent rise to $62,001 (from $58,890).

Premiums for the popular cars of up to the 1,600cc category, have also risen to $42,999 from $37,124, or 15.8 per cent.

phantom_opera
23-02-11, 16:40
Caltex raises petrol and diesel pump prices
CALTEX has increased the retail prices of all grades of petrol and diesel by $0.04 a litre on Wednesday.

Regular 92 is now $1.987, up from $1.947, while the new price of Regular 95 is $2.047 (previously $2.007).

phantom_opera
23-02-11, 16:44
Cost of sending a kid to a decent preschool is now $30k over 4 years

phantom_opera
23-02-11, 16:50
Starbucks hiked drinks prices by between 10 and 30 cents. A tall latte is now $5.50, up from $5.30, and a tall mocha frappuccino is $5.80, up from $5.50.

Ya Kun, raised its coffee prices by 20 cents last month.

land118
23-02-11, 17:33
Starbucks hiked drinks prices by between 10 and 30 cents. A tall latte is now $5.50, up from $5.30, and a tall mocha frappuccino is $5.80, up from $5.50.

Ya Kun, raised its coffee prices by 20 cents last month. Well, almost everything also up. CPI 5.5%...in Jan, normally index is really basic, not sure it is applies to normal citizens..., maybe for those low income who eat bread and kopi black, no sugar, Bus 11 (walk) as main mode of transport, buy NTUC housebrands only, stay in 3rm flat or smaller, if have kids they go PAP kindergarten, no external tuition. No movies, just watch TV as recreation and go beach as family outing, packed home cooked food for picnic....:doh:

tericia
23-02-11, 17:42
Well, almost everything also up. CPI 5.5%...in Jan, normally index is really basic, not sure it is applies to normal citizens..., maybe for those low income who eat bread and kopi black, no sugar, Bus 11 (walk) as main mode of transport, buy NTUC housebrands only, stay in 3rm flat or smaller, if have kids they go PAP kindergarten, no external tuition. No movies, just watch TV as recreation and go beach as family outing, packed home cooked food for picnic....:doh:

not sure if i qualify to be low income but i'm already eating bread and kopi black, no sugar, Bus 11 (walk) as main mode of transport, buy NTUC housebrands only, stay in 1 bedroom condo, if have kids they go full day childcare cuz no $$$ to employ maid, no external tuition my wife or grandparents teach. No movies, just sleep as recreation and go west coast park as family outing, packed home cooked food for picnic

:D

teddybear
23-02-11, 18:01
Should use the affordability indicator by average folks instead . CPI is not accurate and only indicating basic necessity :2cents:

phantom_opera
23-02-11, 18:24
Quoted from http://www.post1.net/lowem/entry/bread_and_inflation

Gardenia high-fibre white bread (blue packaging), 1x 400g loaf, is now 33% more expensive than 2006.

date price %, prev %, base remarks

2006 $1.70 - - base price

early-2007 $1.80 5.88% 5.88% ... and so it begins

mid-2007 $1.90 5.56% 11.76% before 2% GST increase

7/1/2007 $1.95 2.63% 14.71% after 2% GST increase

9/18/2007 $2.00 2.56% 17.65% $2 for a loaf of bread

11/20/2007 $2.15 7.50% 26.47%

now $2.25 4.65% 32.3%

hopeful
23-02-11, 20:44
paste price hike of any item you know in this thread........

the most obvious is:
property price up:D
rental up:D

sorry, not staying in Singapore, so cannot think of any food items.

phantom_opera
23-02-11, 20:49
Royal Umbrella rice 5kg pack

B4 2008 under 10
2008 10.8
now 13.8

westman
23-02-11, 21:28
I recalled what my statistics lecturer once said many years back

"Sometime, you just need to decide what your desire outcome, strangled your data in creative ways to cough out that number....:scared-4: "

In a nutshell, if you find some numbers up thus affecting number, reduce the weightage. If data indicate positive to you desire outcome, increase the weightage.

I use this approach for my final year project to champion my points/thought.. bingo!:D :D :D :D

Geylang OKT
23-02-11, 21:42
If inflation soars... good to hedge by holding property :D

land118
23-02-11, 22:13
not sure if i qualify to be low income but i'm already eating bread and kopi black, no sugar, Bus 11 (walk) as main mode of transport, buy NTUC housebrands only, stay in 1 bedroom condo, if have kids they go full day childcare cuz no $$$ to employ maid, no external tuition my wife or grandparents teach. No movies, just sleep as recreation and go west coast park as family outing, packed home cooked food for picnic

:D well the only thing u din say is that u stay in HDB 3 rm flat or smaller, so I take it that u are not low income but thrifty by choice, so u must have more cash or investment than other who lead the same lifestyle. U stay in condo so your budget goodies is much less. 1 room condo is still private property, goodies dished out is same as those staying in GCB in dist 9, 10, 11. :D

Ok, joking, good to be thrifty, even have wealth, some people by choice just no need to show off.

Geylang OKT
23-02-11, 22:24
If Inflation UP Then
.....Property Price UP
.....Rental Price UP

Else
.....Status Quo

End If

:D :D :D

devilplate
23-02-11, 23:47
If Inflation UP Then
.....Property Price UP
.....Rental Price UP

Else
.....Status Quo

End If

:D :D :D

so from bullish --> bearish--->neutral--->bullish?:D

phantom_opera
24-02-11, 08:29
Brent oil up, USD112, if oil stays high, 2H inflation could maintain at 6%, official CPI would reach 5-6% this year.

Everything in Mr Bean up 10cents, plain diluted soya milk now at $1.40

phantom_opera
25-02-11, 11:21
US warns extreme food prices will stay
Pressures seen to overwhelm cooling from new supplies

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f4189e60-404a-11e0-9140-00144feabdc0.html

tericia
25-02-11, 16:48
well the only thing u din say is that u stay in HDB 3 rm flat or smaller, so I take it that u are not low income but thrifty by choice, so u must have more cash or investment than other who lead the same lifestyle. U stay in condo so your budget goodies is much less. 1 room condo is still private property, goodies dished out is same as those staying in GCB in dist 9, 10, 11. :D

Ok, joking, good to be thrifty, even have wealth, some people by choice just no need to show off.

thank you, you're too kind to me. But truthfully, the inflation is causing some concern for me too so that's why i shop at NTUC.

Also in my heart i love to drive a nice BMW or Mercedes but each time i really feel very reluctant to spend it on a car, so end up with another house.

Hopefully 10 years from today when i'm 45, maybe i can drive a nice car, if not 55.

land118
25-02-11, 16:54
thank you, you're too kind to me. But truthfully, the inflation is causing some concern for me too so that's why i shop at NTUC.

Also in my heart i love to drive a nice BMW or Mercedes but each time i really feel very reluctant to spend it on a car, so end up with another house.

Hopefully 10 years from today when i'm 45, maybe i can drive a nice car, if not 55. Thriftiness is a virtue. Actually, NTUC housebrand is not bad..., car is a depreciating asset, so no long if you dun drive one now.., many also not..

35 ...youthful..., young is always good..

hopeful
25-02-11, 16:57

Hopefully 10 years from today when i'm 45, maybe i can drive a nice car, if not 55.

Out of Topic, hows your family stay in MM coming along?
Everybody still alive? :D
Update us on how a family of 5 stay in MM.

By the way, a lady's age is supposed to be secret ;)
Yup, house is income earning asset. car is depreciating asset.

tericia
25-02-11, 18:35
Out of Topic, hows your family stay in MM coming along?
Everybody still alive? :D
Update us on how a family of 5 stay in MM.

By the way, a lady's age is supposed to be secret ;)
Yup, house is income earning asset. car is depreciating asset.

apologies for going out of point
and apologies for the misunderstanding. i'm a guy so ok to reveal age.

the MM is ok
but quite squeezy and no privacy cuz next block building.
but over all still ok, like hotel.

land118
25-02-11, 18:46
apologies for going out of point
and apologies for the misunderstanding. i'm a guy so ok to reveal age.

the MM is ok
but quite squeezy and no privacy cuz next block building.
but over all still ok, like hotel.
How big is your mm? 500-600 sqft hv?

tericia
25-02-11, 19:31
How big is your mm? 500-600 sqft hv?

the MM size is 398sqft :D

amk
25-02-11, 19:51
Cost of sending a kid to a decent preschool is now $30k over 4 years

My relative told me it's now 50k to 60k for something called Mindchamp Childcare ;) Is that a "decent" preschool ? ;)

land118
25-02-11, 19:56
My relative told me it's now 50k to 60k for something called Mindchamp Childcare ;) Is that a "decent" preschool ? ;)
Not sure about their childcare, but my friend send his son to Tuition at this place, quite popular. PSLE per subject is about $3-4k per year, guarantee better by 1 grade if not money back

phantom_opera
28-02-11, 08:32
DC rates set to go up, say analysts
(SINGAPORE) Development charges (DC), payable for enhancing a site's use or for building a bigger project on it, are headed north come March 1, say property consultants. They cite as reasons higher land and property prices over the past six months.

DC33_2008
28-02-11, 08:39
Garmen need some income after handed out so much in the last budget. Take from the rich (developer and translates to home buyers) and give to the poor.
DC rates set to go up, say analysts
(SINGAPORE) Development charges (DC), payable for enhancing a site's use or for building a bigger project on it, are headed north come March 1, say property consultants. They cite as reasons higher land and property prices over the past six months.

gfoo
28-02-11, 08:56
the MM size is 398sqft :D

sorry, but did you say tt your family of 5 is staying in a 398sqft apartment?

teddybear
28-02-11, 08:58
So expensive? Seems to be like not very established?

Try Odyssey or Pat's Schoolhouse, known to be good for full-day. If you can do with half-day, try Chiltern House. :cheers1:

devilplate
28-02-11, 08:59
amazing....5 pax within 398sqft...2 adults and 3 yng kids? or 5 adult! lol

phantom_opera
28-02-11, 09:01
Can give some tips on how 5 persons can squeeze into 398sqft MM? Double decker in living hall??

land118
28-02-11, 09:06
Can give some tips on how 5 persons can squeeze into 398sqft MM? Double decker in living hall??Maybe 1 double decker bunk bed/pullout bed, rest on mattress..., if have 2 beds, believe will be quite squeezy ...to move around during day time..

phantom_opera
28-02-11, 09:12
PUBLIC transport operator SMRT has raised the fare of all seven of its special late night bus services from $3.50 to $4.

tericia
01-03-11, 10:25
Can give some tips on how 5 persons can squeeze into 398sqft MM? Double decker in living hall??

have been busy past few days and come back to see these questions tickled me quite a bit.

Yes, 3 kids and 2 adults in a 398 sqft MM.

How we stay? Well, kids still young so can use the old school method of all sleeping together on a big or 2 big mattress.

Before i stayed at Lakepoint i rented a room in Whampoa. So the room was even smaller than a whole MM. The MM is quite luxurious actually considering that most hotel rooms are also quite small + the MM is mine so don't have to worry that landlord increase rent by 100% (which was what happened at Whampoa).

I'm also considering double deck living but will miss the 3.8M ceiling at Lakepoint as i think only that height can i make a decent double decker.

devilplate
01-03-11, 10:30
have been busy past few days and come back to see these questions tickled me quite a bit.

How we stay? Well, kids still young so can use the old school method of all sleeping together on a big or 2 big mattress.

Before i stayed at Lakepoint i rented a room in Whampoa. So the room was even smaller than a whole MM. The MM is quite luxurious actually considering that most hotel rooms are also quite small + the MM is mine so don't have to worry that landlord increase rent by 100% (which was what happened at Whampoa).

I'm also considering double deck living but will miss the 3.8M ceiling at Lakepoint as i think only that height can i make a decent double decker.

u sold ur lakept and shift into another MM ppty? or u r waiting for another place to TOP? psps...kapo....hehe:D

land118
01-03-11, 10:52

I'm also considering double deck living but will miss the 3.8M ceiling at Lakepoint as i think only that height can i make a decent double decker. Actually, since kids are still young, quite ok, good also for family bonding...

tericia
01-03-11, 11:46
u sold ur lakept and shift into another MM ppty? or u r waiting for another place to TOP? psps...kapo....hehe:D

The MM just happened that tenant's lease ended in end Jan so we can move in while waiting for another unit to renovate finish. If not got to rent also since the other units the lease all just started in 2010.

I've always bought small units so Lakepoint was a 2 bedroom studio but shifting a 3 bedroom near my son's school in bukit timah.

But that said, we also staying only in 2 bedrooms while 1 of the common bedroom will be rented out :D so i can get some $$$ to buy more diapers :spliff:

phantom_opera
01-03-11, 11:47
Published March 1, 2011
*Inflation bigger threat now than currency wars
Developing nations abandon talk of currency controls as interest rates rise

(LONDON) As recently as last month, governments of emerging economies from South Africa to Brazil warned that competitive devaluations might be needed to keep their strengthening currencies from stifling economic growth.

Now, talk of currency controls is being abandoned and interest rates are rising as record food prices and oil at US$100 a barrel make inflation the bigger threat. That means developing nations will keep outperforming in the foreign-exchange market, according to Morgan Stanley.

South Africa's finance minister and Indonesia's deputy central bank governor said last week that stronger currencies may quell rising prices. Russia's finance minister said on Feb 21 the central bank will favour a 'very flexible' exchange rate. Brazil Finance Minister Guido Mantega, who spoke of a 'currency war' in September when he pledged to buy dollars to curb the real, declared a 'truce' two months later. Peru, China, Colombia, Indonesia and Russia raised interest rates last month.

'If your main macro-economic problem shifts from one of too weak growth to one of too high inflation, then that is going to lead you to look at tightening monetary policy,' said Jens Nordvig, a managing director of currency research at Nomura Holdings in New York. 'The quickest way to put a cap on inflation is to look at ways that would strengthen your currency.'

Economists at Barclays Capital estimated in a report dated Feb 25 that inflation is accelerating at a 6 per cent rate in emerging economies, compared with less than 2 per cent in developed nations.

'Emerging economies, especially in Asia, are facing significant domestic inflationary pressures, which you see in wages and prices,' said Gabriel de Kock, head of foreign-exchange strategy in New York at Morgan Stanley. Food and energy costs are also experiencing 'significant upward shocks' as international commodity prices surge.

Morgan Stanley favours the ruble, Mexican peso and the ringgit as investors speculate that central banks in commodity-producing countries such as Russia, Mexico and Malaysia will boost rates, according to a Feb 4 report.

Most emerging-market currencies fell last week as turmoil in Africa and the Middle East led investors to seek safer assets. They rallied in the past two years as interest rates at about zero in the US and Japan encouraged investors to seek higher-yielding alternatives. The gains were led by the rand's 44 per cent surge versus the dollar.

Emerging nations may still balk at abandoning capital controls, even as they boost rates to combat inflation, said Jan Loeys, chief market strategist at JPMorgan Chase in New York. Colombia's Banco de la Republica said on Feb 25 it will extend daily dollar purchases in the local market for at least three more months to limit the peso's gains after it unexpectedly raised interest rates for the first time in 10 meetings.

'Countries are worried that if they let their currencies appreciate that would just be like waving a red flag in front of the bull, which is the global capital investor,' he said.

Soaring energy prices threaten to slow the global recovery and stoke inflation. In the US, an extended US$10 increase in oil cuts 0.5 percentage point off growth over two years, according to Deutsche Bank AG.

'When you have the potential for a big supply-side shock, which has the potential to compromise economic growth, then allowing your currency to appreciate isn't necessarily a good thing,' said Alan Ruskin, global head of Group-of-10 foreign-exchange strategy at Deutsche Bank in New York. Investors pulled US$1.9 billion from developing nation stock mutual funds in the week to Feb 23, the fifth week of outflows, according to EPFR Global data cited by Citigroup Inc on Feb 25.

Developin.g countries most reliant on imported oil will be among the first to increase rates, said Luis Costa, an emerging-markets strategist in London at Citigroup. These nations are susceptible to sudden commodity price jumps, with fuel and mining products accounting for about 36 per cent of South Korea's imports, 25 per cent in China, 27 per cent for Turkey and 24 per cent for Indonesia, the New York-based bank estimates.

'Countries like Turkey that are big importers of inflation can't afford to keep pursuing loose monetary policy and exchange-rate depreciation,' Mr Costa said. Turkey's central bank left its main rate unchanged on Feb 15 after two months of cuts to assess whether curbs on lending are reducing consumer demand. -- Bloomberg

devilplate
01-03-11, 11:49
The MM just happened that tenant's lease ended in end Jan so we can move in while waiting for another unit to renovate finish. If not got to rent also since the other units the lease all just started in 2010.

I've always bought small units so Lakepoint was a 2 bedroom studio but shifting a 3 bedroom near my son's school in bukit timah.

But that said, we also staying only in 2 bedrooms while 1 of the common bedroom will be rented out :D so i can get some $$$ to buy more diapers :spliff:

hehe...condo rooms easily hit 1.2k pm now....u dun nid so much diapers...:cheers6:

westman
01-03-11, 12:27

Don't you need "private" moment meh? Go hotel 81 or when kids not around?:scared-5:

tericia
01-03-11, 13:06
Don't you need "private" moment meh? Go hotel 81 or when kids not around?:scared-5:

inflation eroding my spending power. So can save save + must work for more $$$.

So cheapest way abstain :D

land118
01-03-11, 13:54

So cheapest way abstain :D 3 kids already hit quota, almost 3x national average.... Jokes aside...so stay in MM, resulting in less private moments, more abstainence..., good that Tericia already achieve target then move into MM, if not...jialat...no wonder budget hotel getting good biz and keep on opening new and more outlets nowadays...:D

DC33_2008
01-03-11, 13:59
Should make $ work harder for you rather than to save $$$. That is called leveraging but not over leverage. So many people are doing it over here.

phantom_opera
01-03-11, 14:08
台灣搶購凍頂烏龍茶,最好的產地南投縣鹿谷鄉,這終年被雲霧籠罩的高山凍頂烏龍已大幅漲價,由去年的六萬元新台幣(約一萬六千港元一斤),被炒高至近期十萬元新台幣(約二萬七千港元),估計茶葉價格仍會繼續被抬高,愛茶人士極為擔心,就是願意付出較高價錢,仍未必能買到心頭好。

phantom_opera
01-03-11, 14:30
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Warren Buffett is looking for acquisitions as an outlet to deploy his $38 billion cash pile, the legendary investor said in his annual letter to Berkshire Hathaway Inc shareholders on Saturday.

Buffett gave an aggressive earnings forecast for Berkshire's collection of businesses, said the company would engage in record capital spending and forecast a recovery in the housing market would start within a year.

devilplate
01-03-11, 15:02
so now we have US recovery story on top of asia growth story? does both of them co-exist? hehe....HUAT AR!

tericia
01-03-11, 17:03
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Warren Buffett is looking for acquisitions as an outlet to deploy his $38 billion cash pile, the legendary investor said in his annual letter to Berkshire Hathaway Inc shareholders on Saturday.

Buffett gave an aggressive earnings forecast for Berkshire's collection of businesses, said the company would engage in record capital spending and forecast a recovery in the housing market would start within a year.

wow, though i'm not so optimistic but to read that Buffett's Berkshire forecast a recovery really sounds like very good news.

hopeful
01-03-11, 17:21

why not get out of the rat race?
You mentioned before you once before got out rat race, the income is huge, more than that earned from the rat race.
why re-entered the rat race and stayed in mouse hole?

tericia
01-03-11, 20:51
why not get out of the rat race?
You mentioned before you once before got out rat race, the income is huge, more than that earned from the rat race.
why re-entered the rat race and stayed in mouse hole?

hahaha, well the mouse hole is temporary. After that will be at bigger place.

I've not exited the rat race totally because i can't seem to stop spending as well. Earned more from all income, i end up spending more.

So i like to spend and i know some say not good habit but i was broke once and don't like the feeling of living like a pauper.

But still, got money all end up in another house and i'm highly leverage. So still must work :D

phantom_opera
03-03-11, 13:53
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India's food price index rose 10.39 percent and the fuel price index climbed 12.56 percent in the year to Feb. 19, government data on Thursday showed.

In the previous week, annual food and fuel inflation stood at 11.49 percent and 12.14 percent.

The primary articles price index was up 14.85 percent, compared with an annual rise of 15.77 percent a week earlier.

The wholesale price index , the most widely watched gauge of prices in India, rose 8.23 percent in January from a year earlier, compared with 8.43 percent in December.

tericia
03-03-11, 15:54
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India's food price index rose 10.39 percent and the fuel price index climbed 12.56 percent in the year to Feb. 19, government data on Thursday showed.

In the previous week, annual food and fuel inflation stood at 11.49 percent and 12.14 percent.

The primary articles price index was up 14.85 percent, compared with an annual rise of 15.77 percent a week earlier.

The wholesale price index , the most widely watched gauge of prices in India, rose 8.23 percent in January from a year earlier, compared with 8.43 percent in December.

phantom, your posts are starting to scare me man..... how's our income going to keep up?:scared-4:

rattydrama
03-03-11, 20:09

Well they have high growth rate too. The highest in this part of the world as far as I know.

rattydrama
03-03-11, 20:17
hehe...condo rooms easily hit 1.2k pm now....u dun nid so much diapers...:cheers6:
1.2pm all areas or only at prime?

phantom_opera
04-03-11, 11:48
In the 24 months of 2009 and 2010, M3 money supply - the widest form of money supply measured in Singapore, defined as coins and notes in circulation, money in savings accounts, fixed deposits, demand drafts, etc - grew by S$67.7 billion or almost 20 per cent :eek:

=> not sure about accuracy.

phantom_opera
10-03-11, 20:30
The Housing and Development Board ("HDB") has launched a new issuance of Notes under its S$7 billion Medium Term Note ("MTN") Programme.

The issuance comprises a S$500 million, 10-year Fixed Rate Note issue with a coupon of 3.14% per annum payable semi-annually in arrear.

10y fixed rate at 3.14%, any taker thinks it can beat inflation for next 10y :doh:

Localite
10-03-11, 21:12
Any macro econs gurus here?

Is it true that property is an effective hedge against inflation? Is it also a hedge against hyper inflation? If inflation soars 100% or 1000% how will that impact ppty prices?

devilplate
10-03-11, 22:12
Any macro econs gurus here?

Is it true that property is an effective hedge against inflation? Is it also a hedge against hyper inflation? If inflation soars 100% or 1000% how will that impact ppty prices?

me no guru...but i believe healthy inflation rate of around 3-5%, ppty will be on par or increase more....however, hyperinflation of more den let say 20%, hell will break loose and ppty price might actually crash....100% inflation....cfm RIOT and mabe WAR:scared-3:

phantom_opera
10-03-11, 22:16
agree with devilplate, property effective hedge only against expected inflation. For hyperinflation, u need gold bar and air ticket :scared-5:

phantom_opera
10-03-11, 22:27
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2011-03-10/inflation.jpg

taggy
11-03-11, 16:18
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2011-03-10/inflation.jpg

I think .55 is still quite low, anyone think this is a concern?

rattydrama
11-03-11, 18:47
Now I am paying 0.6x for sor rate.

phantom_opera
28-03-11, 09:50
Rumor in China that P&G / Unilever going to up prices soon, resulting in hogging of household items :doh:

Regulators
28-03-11, 11:09
To ensure a decent retirement ten years from now, 5k passive income a month is needed. Best way to do it is through rental income, unless you are someone high up in the mlm business with lots of downline to work for you. I have worked out that in the thirty years between 25 and 55, the a average person has to have in least $3+ mil of net assets whether cash or property, that converts to saving roughly 100k per year and 1 million plus in ten years. With the 3 million, split it up into buying 3 properties at 7xxk each, live in one and renting out 2 for 5k-6k plus a month with at least 500k left in the bank for rainy day. This to me is the barest minimum for comfortable retirement, but I wonder how many heart landers can achieve that.

devilplate
28-03-11, 11:38
To ensure a decent retirement ten years from now, 5k passive income a month is needed. Best way to do it is through rental income, unless you are someone high up in the mlm business with lots of downline to work for you. I have worked out that in the thirty years between 25 and 55, the a average person has to have in least $3+ mil of net assets whether cash or property, that converts to saving roughly 100k per year and 1 million plus in ten years. With the 3 million, split it up into buying 3 properties at 7xxk each, live in one and renting out 2 for 5k-6k plus a month with at least 500k left in the bank for rainy day. This to me is the barest minimum for comfortable retirement, but I wonder how many heart landers can achieve that.

yeah, passive income from ppty rental definitely a must...at least keep ur prized HDB for rental lor....kids nowadays r not dependable anymore...

as inflation rises....usually rental will rise la....HDB rental 10yrs ago 3rm flat was 800-900 pm...now 1.5-1.8k pm:D

phantom_opera
28-03-11, 11:45
yeah, passive income from ppty rental definitely a must...at least keep ur prized HDB for rental lor....kids nowadays r not dependable anymore...

as inflation rises....usually rental will rise la....HDB rental 10yrs ago 3rm flat was 800-900 pm...now 1.5-1.8k pm:D

3br Bedok central next to CAPL land asking 2k per month :scared-4:

Regulators
28-03-11, 12:20
I heard that clementi 3 rm (ng model) can rent for $2.5k a month, wonder why they want to pay that kind of rental for a3 rm hdb when they can rent a suburban condo for that price.

rattydrama
28-03-11, 12:33
Rumor in China that P&G / Unilever going to up prices soon, resulting in hogging of household items :doh:
The raw material price has gone up, inflation up, oil price up, shipping costs up so it is certain. My corporate already sent out memo to cut back on travel as due to expected increase in raw mat cost soon, might eat into the overall budget.

devilplate
28-03-11, 12:33
I heard that clementi 3 rm (ng model) can rent for $2.5k a month, wonder why they want to pay that kind of rental for a3 rm hdb when they can rent a suburban condo for that price.

tats crazy:scared-1:

mabe 100k designer renovation?:beats-me-man:

peterng8
28-03-11, 13:21
tats crazy:scared-1:

mabe 100k designer renovation?:beats-me-man:

approved flat? or maximize the number of people staying in?:D

tericia
16-05-11, 13:49

exited the MM for about a month plus already.

5 of us staying in a 400sqft place was not too bad. But 3 kids all young. I thought staying at the MM was great cuz the cleaning was super easy compared to cleaning a big place. I got no maid.

Kids slept on bed, me and wife slept on sofa bed in living room. Whole MM had about 20 boxes and the rest of the 10 boxes plus some big furniture in another house. Small but i think renting for a year or 2 ok, esp for singles working in town.

The only thing was next door has construction so had to close the window but besides that, i enjoyed it. A bit like staying in hotel except that you don't need to worry about your landlord increasing your rent, or your hotel say can't keep you.

Location i feel was the main thing i miss about the MM. Anywhere i wanted to go was super quick. So may consider getting another town property if have the chance.

After i left, i rented out the unit for $3k per month so though the MM can't get high capital gains but the rental is high enough to pay for 2 mortgages for me. Corporate rentals, both before i moved and after i moved out. Quite competitive too cuz i got 3 offers in 2 weeks and went with the highest one.

I don't endorse MMs or any other types of property except that i always believe, got money, can afford, like, buy. So buy big, buy small, it's ok either ways.

Cheers.

Regulators
17-05-11, 00:23
Are you referring to robertson edge? Vivace and Wharf Residence to the left and right of RE still under construction.

exited the MM for about a month plus already.

5 of us staying in a 400sqft place was not too bad. But 3 kids all young. I thought staying at the MM was great cuz the cleaning was super easy compared to cleaning a big place. I got no maid.

Kids slept on bed, me and wife slept on sofa bed in living room. Whole MM had about 20 boxes and the rest of the 10 boxes plus some big furniture in another house. Small but i think renting for a year or 2 ok, esp for singles working in town.

The only thing was next door has construction so had to close the window but besides that, i enjoyed it. A bit like staying in hotel except that you don't need to worry about your landlord increasing your rent, or your hotel say can't keep you.

Location i feel was the main thing i miss about the MM. Anywhere i wanted to go was super quick. So may consider getting another town property if have the chance.

After i left, i rented out the unit for $3k per month so though the MM can't get high capital gains but the rental is high enough to pay for 2 mortgages for me. Corporate rentals, both before i moved and after i moved out. Quite competitive too cuz i got 3 offers in 2 weeks and went with the highest one.

I don't endorse MMs or any other types of property except that i always believe, got money, can afford, like, buy. So buy big, buy small, it's ok either ways.

Cheers.

hopeful
17-05-11, 09:08

3k for 398. Your agent super....
Can PM me your agent's number? Mine underperforming, cannot even reach URA median rental psf:doh:. Your unit fully furnished? or you bring sofa and bed when you move out?

tericia
18-05-11, 13:35
hopeful: I've a few agents. So i've one for selling, 1 for buying, 1 for rental. Each good in their strengths.

You will need to keep records of good agents that come your way. I usually go back to the same few + all the others loose ones on the side that want to do the deal.

I got 2 $3000 per month offers from 2 agents, and 2 $2800 per month offer from the same 2 agents. The one i closed was actually the one that responded the fastest. If not, $2800 or $3000 was fine with me.

Regulators: yes

3k for 398. Your agent super....
Can PM me your agent's number? Mine underperforming, cannot even reach URA median rental psf:doh:. Your unit fully furnished? or you bring sofa and bed when you move out?

devilplate
18-05-11, 13:40
hopeful: I've a few agents. So i've one for selling, 1 for buying, 1 for rental. Each good in their strengths.

You will need to keep records of good agents that come your way. I usually go back to the same few + all the others loose ones on the side that want to do the deal.

I got 2 $3000 per month offers from 2 agents, and 2 $2800 per month offer from the same 2 agents. The one i closed was actually the one that responded the fastest. If not, $2800 or $3000 was fine with me.

Regulators: yes

some just dun believe Mm can fetch so high one lor....bcoz they dun understand y their bigger units fetch so much lower rental in terms of rental psf.....hehe

initially i aso dun believe until i go n physically do some ground work checks:D

but still prefer 500-600sqft 1bedder....

tericia
18-05-11, 13:45
actually i also didn't believe but someone who owns more properties than my toes and fingers combined told me to go and do research on MM.

He's the type of person that when he tells me to do something i usually go do it. That's when i got a shock on how much rental MM gets.

The downside however, is capital gains.

some just dun believe Mm can fetch so high one lor....bcoz they dun understand y their bigger units fetch so much lower rental in terms of rental psf.....hehe

initially i aso dun believe until i go n physically do some ground work checks:D

but still prefer 500-600sqft 1bedder....

hopeful
18-05-11, 15:08
actually i also didn't believe but someone who owns more properties than my toes and fingers combined told me to go and do research on MM.

He's the type of person that when he tells me to do something i usually go do it. That's when i got a shock on how much rental MM gets.

The downside however, is capital gains.

what is the downside with capital gains?

devilplate
18-05-11, 15:26
5mil...10%oredi 500k
500k, 10% only 50k

Actually in term of % Cap gain, mm may even surpass bigger units

hopeful
18-05-11, 15:51
5mil...10%oredi 500k
500k, 10% only 50k

Actually in term of % Cap gain, mm may even surpass bigger units

If based on initial capital, wouldnt MM have higher yield and better cap gain?

devilplate
18-05-11, 15:58
If based on initial capital, wouldnt MM have higher yield and better cap gain?
Higher yield yes, but better cap gain meh?:confused:

tericia
18-05-11, 18:20
because 398 sqft, each time psf goes up by $100, it's only 398 x $100 = $39800. Usually i realised project price goes up by psf unless the buyer has an urgent need, then he/she won't care about valuation and just offer a quantum.

with the current measures, you may get stuck and can't sell the MM cuz lots of stamp duties to pay.

phantom_opera
17-02-14, 05:17
Quoted from http://www.post1.net/lowem/entry/bread_and_inflation

Gardenia high-fibre white bread (blue packaging), 1x 400g loaf, is now 33% more expensive than 2006.

date price %, prev %, base remarks

2006 $1.70 - - base price

early-2007 $1.80 5.88% 5.88% ... and so it begins

mid-2007 $1.90 5.56% 11.76% before 2% GST increase

7/1/2007 $1.95 2.63% 14.71% after 2% GST increase

9/18/2007 $2.00 2.56% 17.65% $2 for a loaf of bread

11/20/2007 $2.15 7.50% 26.47%

2011 $2.25 4.65% 32.3%

2014 $2.40 up 6.66%

phantom_opera
17-02-14, 05:19
COE premiums have risen across the board after easing a little during the last bidding exercise.

The COE premium for cars above 1,600cc ended at $62,000 - a rise of $8,600 or 16.1 per cent.

For Open COEs, which can be used for any vehicle type but which end up being used mainly for bigger cars - the premium registered a 5.3 per cent rise to $62,001 (from $58,890).

Premiums for the popular cars of up to the 1,600cc category, have also risen to $42,999 from $37,124, or 15.8 per cent.

2011 vs 2014

75,300 vs 62,000
71,564 vs 42,999

phantom_opera
17-02-14, 05:24

B4 2008 under 10
2008 10.8
now 13.8

now 15.80

so if in 2008, condo is 1080psf, it should be 1580psf now !!! :doh:

phantom_opera
17-02-14, 05:39
Feb 14 2014

It's almost two weeks since the Chinese New Year weekend but some coffee shops which typically raise their drink prices over the holiday period have made these hikes permanent.

They have cited a number of reasons ranging from increased staff wages to rental costs and prices of food items such as coffee powder, sugar and milk.

An islandwide check with 27 coffee shop operators and drink stall owners showed that eight had raised prices of their coffee and tea beverages by about 10 to 20 cents a cup.

The festive season offered a perfect opportunity for patrons to adjust to the new prices, said at least one stall owner.

Their stalls were located in areas such as Queenstown, Bedok, Tampines, Raffles Place, Ang Mo Kio and Bishan.

At the Golden Shoe Market in Raffles Place, a cup of coffee from Sunrise Traditional Coffee and Toast's stall now costs $1, up by 10 cents from before.

Owner Teo Saiew Lim, 49, said he raised his prices just after the festive period when his supplier notified him that the cost of condensed milk had gone up.

He put up a sign and reprinted his menu to notify customers of the new prices, he added.

Mr Tony Lee, 64, who runs a drink stall at Bedok Central Food Centre said he upped his prices of coffee and tea drinks by 10 cents late last year.

This was to cover increased costs of cleaning services - which went up from $200 to $250 a month late last year - as well as coffee powder.

A 9kg tin of coffee powder used to cost about $40 but recently went up to $75, he added.

Meanwhile, other drink stalls, such as one at Mei Ling Market and Food Centre in Queenstown and another at Pek Kio Market and Food Centre in Owen Road, told The Straits Times they had chosen to absorb the higher costs for now.

Madam Chiang Gek Hiang, 50, owner of Jin Ju Coffee Stall at Pek Kio Market and Food Centre, said she still makes "decent" profits despite the higher costs of raw ingredients.

Mr Hong Poh Hin, chairman of the Foochow Coffee Restaurant and Bar Merchants Association, which represents over 400 coffee shops here, attributed the price hikes to an increase in overall operating costs. Rental and labour costs have risen by about 10 per cent in the past year. "Rent for a coffee shop space in a central area can cost about $80,000 a month. A 10 per cent increase - or $8,000 - is a lot," he said.

Mr Thomas Foo, chairman of the Kheng Keow Coffee Merchants Restaurant and Bar-Owners Association added that costs of utilities, such as electricity and water, have also risen by 10 to 20 per cent.

The association represents more than 300 coffee shops here.

The Consumers Association of Singapore said it has received an estimated six complaints from consumers over the past three years about the high prices of coffee drinks at coffee shops.

Coffee drinker Danny Lim, who is in his 30s and works in the IT industry, said: "If you drink coffee every day, the 10 cent increase adds up to a lot."

Others, such as office manager Karen Peh, who is in her 40s, feel that the price increase is still reasonable. "I'm too used to drinking this type of coffee, as I find it better than those from coffee chains," she said.

"Even if prices rose further, by another 20 cents, I'd still continue to support coffee shops."

phantom_opera
17-02-14, 05:42
McCafe cappuccino @ Bedok mall now 3.80 (elsewhere should be 3.20), in 2011 it was around 2.60-2.80

Montessori preschool fee back in 2010 around 1,600+ per semester, now > 2k+

phantom_opera
17-02-14, 06:05
CALTEX has increased the retail prices of all grades of petrol and diesel by $0.04 a litre on Wednesday.

Regular 92 is now $1.987, up from $1.947, while the new price of Regular 95 is $2.047 (previously $2.007).

Regular 92 S$2.160
Regular 95 S$2.200

Last updated : December 23, 2013

phantom_opera
17-02-14, 06:29
cash under valuation?? check out HDB rental @ Punggol

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/sites/default/files/public/article/images/gallery/1583805.jpg

https://temasektimes.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/medicalpunggol.jpg
Old news back in 2012:
The size of the shop is 559 square feet (51 square meter) which amounts to $58.67 per square feet

amk
17-02-14, 10:56
speaking of this inflation and CPF etc etc, where is the "inflation bond" gov briefly hinted some time ago ? (Lawrence Wong said it, I believe) Will we see this in this year's budget ?

phantom_opera
17-02-14, 11:10
speaking of this inflation and CPF etc etc, where is the "inflation bond" gov briefly hinted some time ago ? (Lawrence Wong said it, I believe) Will we see this in this year's budget ?

hey hey ... they can just say go and buy Capitamall trust 3.08% retail

phantom_opera
24-03-14, 09:24
Childcare fees increased again last year, in the steepest rise over at least eight years.

The median monthly fee for a full-day childcare programme was $830 last year, $80 higher than in 2012, statistics from the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA), which oversees the pre-school sector, showed.

Before last year, the median fee had not gone up by more than $45 year on year since 2005.

While inflation and rents have been climbing, pre-school players said the spike in fees last year could be due mainly to higher staff costs.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20140324/ST_20140324_VPGFEE_4073785.pdf

Median montly fee:

2005 - 530
2013 - 830

Up 36% in 8y

DC33_2008
24-03-14, 09:33
Garment will give more rebates to lower income and average and above average household income will pay more. :cool:
Childcare fees increased again last year, in the steepest rise over at least eight years.

The median monthly fee for a full-day childcare programme was $830 last year, $80 higher than in 2012, statistics from the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA), which oversees the pre-school sector, showed.

Before last year, the median fee had not gone up by more than $45 year on year since 2005.

While inflation and rents have been climbing, pre-school players said the spike in fees last year could be due mainly to higher staff costs.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20140324/ST_20140324_VPGFEE_4073785.pdf

Median montly fee:

2005 - 530
2013 - 830

Up 36% in 8y

minority
24-03-14, 10:36
Parents expectations on child care have also gone up. other factors also kick in. rental, labour , maintances and more content that would need to be delivered.

The other factor driving up cost is government subsidy. Don't we all recognized that when ever there are more subsidy the price seem to factor in the subsidy?

Coz there is a avg price the centers know parents are willing to pay. with more subsidy they will still maintain the quantum but give more content. so currently $830. after subsidy for middle income family is $530.

Question is parents willing to take less for less? many don't. when it comes to children parents are known to splurge. Cheap don't mean they want.

minority
24-03-14, 10:37
I am starting a new thread to track inflation ... don't believe in CPI number, the actual inflation is much higher, paste price hike of any item you know in this thread.

INFLATION hit a 27-month high in January, surprising even the most bullish of economists.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) rose 5.5 per cent in January, higher than the 4.65 per cent average expectation among private sector economists.

The bulk of the increase was due to rising private transport costs, as well as housing and food.

The last time the CPI hit 5.5 per cent was in October 2008, and the higher inflation recorded last month has prompted economists to raise expectations of a tighter monetary policy, when the Monetary Authority of Singapore releases their first of two policy statements for the year in April.

Last week, the Government unveiled a slew of policies and cash handouts to help families, especially low-income households, cope with the rising cost of living.

With the push to increase income. inflation going up is inevitable.

phantom_opera
01-05-14, 14:29
electricity tariff 17c / kwH in 2005, 25c / kwH in 2014, 4.5%pa CAGR :rolleyes:

phantom_opera
01-05-14, 14:34
very nice

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/coe-prices-over-years

phantom_opera
01-05-14, 14:40
hey hey childcare fees continue to hit record high

http://www.childcarelink.gov.sg/ccls/uploads/Statistics_on_child_care(STENT).pdf

Childcare
from 2009 to Mar 14
Average full-day fees $739 $776 $809 $850 $923 $940 (+27.2% since 2009)
Median full-day fees $663 $690 $720 $750 $830 $850 (+28.2% since 2009)
Average half-day fees $538 $572 $598 $630 $691 $705
Median half-day fees $500 $525 $550 $592 $642 $650

Infant care

Average full-day fees $1,253 $1,295 $1,311 $1,325 $1,376 $1,394
Median full-day fees $1,250 $1,271 $1,271 $1,271 $1,311 $1,311
Average half-day fees $899 $906 $901 $902 $927 $937
Median half-day fees $871 $859 $828 $792 $792 $792

phantom_opera
01-05-14, 14:41
SINGAPORE — Two of the largest pre-school anchor operators here — which employ a total of 9,300 staff — yesterday announced that they are raising salaries and reviewing career progression opportunities for teachers, as part of efforts to recruit and retain professionals in a sector long plagued by manpower woes.

The PAP Community Foundation (PCF), which runs 357 kindergarten and childcare centres, said it raised salaries by six to 12 per cent for qualified teachers and centre leaders last month and will undertake a year-long review of its compensation and career-progression policies for staff.

Separately, NTUC My First Campus (NFC), which operates 107 My First Skool centres, said it would make a “special adjustment” in additional to its annual increment for its principals, which could mean a raise of up to 16 per cent. For example, a principal with about three to four years of experience in the position and who holds a degree in early childhood education may earn up to S$4,400 after the adjustment.

Both operators said they would not be raising fees despite the additional manpower costs. PCF said it would bear the costs with “some funding support” from the Early Childhood Development Agency, while My First Skool would take on the costs on its own.

According to PCF, the market salary of a diploma-trained childcare teacher with three years of experience can expect to earn up to S$2,800 a month. Centre principals who possess a degree qualification and have three to four years of leadership experience may be earning up to S$4,000.

Last November, Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing launched a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Masterplan to provide professional development opportunities for preschool educators. The Government aims to add 17,000 more childcare places by 2017, which would require some 2,000 teachers.

Early childhood professionals are encouraged to undertake at least 20 hours of CPD per year, including two core courses over a period of three years. The Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) aims to roll out a total of 9,000 training places this year.

From July, the NFC will add the roles of lead teacher and deputy centre lead to its teachers’ career ladder. Lead teachers will play a bigger part in mentoring newer teachers and deputy centre leads will act as a second-in-charge to support principals at large childcare centres and have a reduced teaching load.

A spokesperson also said the NFC has made significant salary adjustments for teachers in recent years — between 2009 and last year, their salaries have gone up 36 per cent.

The PCF said it would first look into reviewing the career progression pathways for its educators, such as formalising different levels with clearly-defined work scopes and responsibilities for each level. For example, a fresh graduate may start as a teacher and progress to a senior, lead or mentor teacher. He or she may also choose to take on a leadership position, starting as a supervisor of a centre and progressing to executive principal overseeing several centres

phantom_opera
01-05-14, 14:48

B4 2008 under 10
2008 10.8
now 13.8

NTUC list price 15.80

http://www.fairprice.com.sg/wcsstore/FairPrice/images/catalog/fullimage/10767037.jpg

phantom_opera
01-05-14, 14:49

RON95 $2.25 b4 discount

phantom_opera
01-05-14, 14:54
was talking about US housing recovery back in 2011 ... now update

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fredgraph.jpg?hires=1&type=image/jpeg&chart_type=line&recession_bars=off&log_scales=&bgcolor=%23e1e9f0&graph_bgcolor=%23ffffff&fo=verdana&ts=12&tts=12&txtcolor=%23444444&show_legend=yes&show_axis_titles=yes&drp=0&cosd=1997-05-01&coed=2014-02-01&width=670&height=445&stacking=&range=Custom&mode=fred&id=SPCS10RSA&transformation=lin&nd=&ost=-99999&oet=99999&scale=left&line_color=%234572a7&line_style=solid&lw=2&mark_type=&mw=3&mma=0&fml=a&fgst=lin&fq=Monthly&fam=avg&vintage_date=&revision_date=

phantom_opera
01-05-14, 14:55
US gas prices

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fredgraph.jpg?hires=1&type=image/jpeg&chart_type=area&recession_bars=off&log_scales=&bgcolor=%23e1e9f0&graph_bgcolor=%23ffffff&fo=verdana&ts=12&tts=12&txtcolor=%23444444&show_legend=yes&show_axis_titles=yes&drp=0&cosd=1997-05-01&coed=2014-04-21&width=670&height=445&stacking=&range=Custom&mode=fred&id=GASREGW&transformation=lin&nd=&ost=-99999&oet=99999&scale=left&line_color=%234572a7&line_style=solid&lw=2&mark_type=&mw=3&mma=0&fml=a&fgst=lin&fq=Weekly%2C+Ending+Monday&fam=avg&vintage_date=&revision_date=

Allthepies
01-05-14, 14:56
wat to do? Everyone demanding for higher pay when they are essentially still doing the same thing...

phantom_opera
01-05-14, 15:00
CRCT rental reversion per year ... long term about 9-10%
CMT rental reversion per year since 2003 ... about 6-7%

Arcachon
01-05-14, 15:13
wat to do? Everyone demanding for higher pay when they are essentially still doing the same thing...

The mindset have to change, asking for higher pay will not answer to inflation. Should spend more time thinking of generating other source of income instead of asking for higher pay. For the last 7 years my pay stay at 44K but my asset and other income source keep growing thank to everyone effort in Singapore.

phantom_opera
20-06-14, 17:55
http://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/whatinflationshortfall-e1395780734696.png

phantom_opera
21-06-14, 17:04
Gold Bless America !!!! My PUB bill keeps going up also :simmering:

http://www.cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/lightbox/images/PRICE%20INDEX-PHOTO-MAY-C.jpg

note the much much faster growth since y2k