PDA

View Full Version : Demand for landed properties likely to be robust

land118
17-02-11, 08:12
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1111176/1/.html

Demand for landed properties likely to be robust
By Jo-ann Huang | Posted: 16 February 2011 2315 hrs

SINGAPORE : Demand for landed properties is likely to be robust this year, according to market watchers.

They said landed property buyers are typically unaffected by the government measures to curb speculation. That is because they are less likely to speculate on their houses as they are usually long-term owner occupiers.

Analysts said going forward, limited supply of landed properties, low interest rates and abundant liquidity will fuel demand.

Landed properties like detached, semi-detached and terrace houses are in great demand. And the smaller developers who build mostly landed houses look set to benefit from it.

One such developer is Mushrooms Realty, which mostly builds detached houses.

Tan Wee Yong, founder of Mushrooms Realty, said: "Traditionally, they might be out of people's budget. But nowadays, ... given the choice and if the price differential is not that great, I think most Singaporeans will go for landed property."

Despite a slew of cooling measures announced last year, healthy demand for landed properties pushed prices up by 31 per cent in 2010, outpacing the 17.6 per cent increase in non-landed home prices.

Nicholas Mak, executive director of research & consultancy, SLP International, said: "We see low interest rates, we see more liquidity in the property market, but another reason is that some of the home buyers feel that the newer apartments tend to be a bit smaller than some of the older apartments.

"And in order to have the luxury of space, some of these buyers turn to landed properties."

Analysts said landed home buyers usually hold onto their properties for a few years and should be able to avoid the new stamp duty tax of 4 per cent on homes sold within the fourth year of purchase.

Landed property sites have doubled in price in the last three years. For instance, a landed property site in Serangoon Gardens has seen its price jump from about S$500 per square foot (psf) three years ago to about S$800 psf currently.

Demand for landed property sites is also overwhelming current land supply.

Mr Tan said: "For freehold, I think there is a supply crunch. Actually, as long as there is a new piece of land coming out in the market, there will be a lot of interested parties ... if the asking price is at the market rate."

According to the Urban Redevelopment Authority, there are currently 70,000 landed housing units available in the market. That is 30 per cent of the entire private home supply.

Even with economic growth slowing this year from last year's record-high level, analysts said landed property prices should rise by 8 to 12 per cent this year.

- CNA/al

land118
17-02-11, 08:44
Just check streetsine database for Serangoon Gardens Estate, Jan 2011 transactions on Terrace house alone below, seem like still have some buzz. Transaction after measures - post 14 Jan 2011 seem to be as many as pre measures, like not much impact:

http://www.streetsine.com/static/home2/map.jsp#postalcode-545618

Address

Tenure
PSF
Area Sqft
Price
Contract Date
23 Conway Grove
999 Yrs From 01/01/1956
$1,250
$3300k
27-Jan-11
47 Borthwick Drive
999 Yrs From 01/01/1955
$1,055
$2950k
24-Jan-11
47 Bridport Avenue
999 Yrs From 01/01/1954
$811
$1750k
24-Jan-11
18 Hythe Road
999 Yrs From 01/01/1954
$879
$1900k
19-Jan-11
20 Hythe Road
999 Yrs From 01/01/1954
$879
$2600k
19-Jan-11
54 Bridport Avenue
999 Yrs From 01/01/1955
$1,185
$2560k
13-Jan-11
22 Cardiff Grove
999 Yrs From 01/01/1956
$1,156
$2128k
13-Jan-11
62 Cardiff Grove
999 Yrs From 01/01/1956
$1,223
$2250k
07-Jan-11
47 Bridport Avenue
999 Yrs From 01/01/1954
$1,209
$2608k
07-Jan-11
93 Cardiff Grove
999 Yrs From 01/01/1956
$699
$2100k
06-Jan-11
5 Blandford Drive
999 Yrs From 01/01/1955
$814
$2280k
03-Jan-11

mantrix
17-02-11, 09:00
maybe have some cooling measures targeted specifically at landed housing then at least the average Singaporean has a chance of realising his dream :D

greenhorn
17-02-11, 09:14
Landed is the ultimate dream of many singaporean home owners. The rapidly shrinking share of landed vs total private housing stock in SG will fuel further demand and price rises, despite whatever measures from govt. It sure feels good to be among the 5.7% of SG households living in landed.

I know of many landed owners holding on tight to their gems and not selling. Agents have told me that some sellers keep moving their goal posts knowing that higher offers are forthcoming. Simple economics of dd and ss. With the mkt expected to be flooded with BTOs, condos & apts in the next 5 yrs, plus rising population and affuence, it is natural for pte pty upgraders to seek landed properties and the vicious upward spiral of prices for landed will keep going... No wonder the DWG Director interviewed on CNA prog recently said that landed property owners are siting on gold mines.

proper-t
17-02-11, 10:12
maybe have some cooling measures targeted specifically at landed housing then at least the average Singaporean has a chance of realising his dream :D

Look at where all our policy makers are staying....:money-faced2:

land118
17-02-11, 13:07
http://www.todayonline.com/Business/EDC110217-0000249/Landed-homes-still-hot-property,-say-analysts

Landed homes still hot property, say analysts

http://imcmsimages.mediacorp.sg/cmsfileserver/showimageCC.aspx?124&105&f=2407&img=2407_203562.jpg&h=65&w=55
by Jo-Ann Huang Limin (http://forums.condosingapore.com/)
05:56 AM Feb 17, 2011
var fontIndex = 2; var fontSize = new Array('0.63em', '0.69em', '0.75em', '0.88em', '1em', '1.13em');
SINGAPORE - Demand for landed properties is likely to be robust this year, according to market watchers who noted that buyers of such properties are typically owner-occupiers and are unaffected by the Government's anti-speculation measures.

At the same time, the limited supply of landed properties, low interest rates and abundant liquidity will fuel demand going forward, analysts noted.

SLP International executive director of research and consultancy Nicholas Mak said: "Some of the home buyers feel that the newer apartments tend to be a bit smaller than some of the older apartments. And, in order to have the luxury of space, some of these buyers turn to landed properties."

Mushrooms Realty founder Tan Wee Yong added: "Traditionally, (landed properties) might be out of people's budgets. But nowadays, if the price difference is not that great, I think most Singaporeans will go for landed property."

Despite a slew of cooling measures, prices of landed properties went up by 31 per cent last year, as compared to 2009, outpacing non-landed homes which grew 17.6 per cent.

And analysts noted that demand for landed property sites is overwhelming the existing supply.

Said Mr Tan: "For freehold sites, I think there is a supply crunch ... As long as there is a new piece of land coming out in the market, there will be a lot of interested parties if the asking price is at the market rate."

According to the Urban Redevelopment Authority, there are 70,000 landed housing units currently available in the market. This makes up 30 per cent of the entire private home supply.

Coupled with the moderating economy this year, analysts said they expect landed property prices to increase by 8 to 12 per cent this year. Jo-Ann Huang

Blue
20-02-11, 17:12
As predicted, next time, one can't find any landed less than $3M...it's going to be more and more exclusive..

Land psf going up (at least $1000 psf)

Construction / Rebuilt cost going up (at least $400 psf)

Just an inter-terrace with land 1500 sq ft with a rebuilt (built-in 3000 sqft) can easily cost you: $2.8M liao.

So Developer will sell you at least $3.1M to cover their profit margin.:2cents:

So if you have the 40% upfront cash i.e. $1.1M, and can find one brand new inter-terrace for $2.5M, must quickly grab liao. Else, you will miss the boat once and for all!

land118
20-02-11, 22:22
As predicted, next time, one can't find any landed less than $3M...it's going to be more and more exclusive..

Land psf going up (at least $1000 psf)

Construction / Rebuilt cost going up (at least $400 psf)

Just an inter-terrace with land 1500 sq ft with a rebuilt (built-in 3000 sqft) can easily cost you: $2.8M liao.

So Developer will sell you at least $3.1M to cover their profit margin.:2cents:

So if you have the 40% upfront cash i.e. $1.1M, and can find one brand new inter-terrace for $2.5M, must quickly grab liao. Else, you will miss the boat once and for all! construction cost if no basement, $250-300 psf still possible, also depend on finishes. But u are right, soon just quantum alone will put it out of reach of even more people..., now strike Big Sweep also hard to find a decent one.

Geylang OKT
20-02-11, 22:43
Look at where all our policy makers are staying....:money-faced2:

where, toa payoh 3rm flats? :cool:

land118
21-02-11, 07:26
where, toa payoh 3rm flats? :cool:

Originally Posted by †††††
http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIM...100306/b11.jpg
National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan recounting his childhood years growing up in various housing types. 'When I was young, I lived in various places with my mother, who was a domestic servant. I lost my father when I was three years old, so we moved around a lot.

We stayed in a kampung in Lorong Ah Soo, which today has HDB flats and is in Cynthia Phua's (MP for Aljunied GRC) constituency. Every time I visit the flats there, I still remember where the kampung house was. Then we moved to a shophouse in High Street. My mum was working for a High Street merchant at that time. Today, that is where the MTI (Ministry of Trade and Industry) and MOF (Ministry of Finance) are (in The Treasury building).

Then we moved to a room in Bugis Street. Today, it is Bugis Junction. There were 10 of us living in that room. We had one bed which slept five. It was raised so that another five could sleep underneath. Then, I moved to Kim Keat Avenue with my aunt - eight of us in a three-room flat, sharing one toilet and bathroom, while my mother stayed in a one-room rental flat in Whampoa Road.

Later, we upgraded to a four-room flat in Toa Payoh.

That is a typical Singapore story for my generation. Start in a modest flat, work hard, accumulate savings, and upgrade over time. Then, if you need to, rightsize to a smaller flat.' National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan recounting his childhood years growing up in various housing types.

Geylang OKT
21-02-11, 07:59
Originally Posted by †††††
http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIM...100306/b11.jpg
National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan recounting his childhood years growing up in various housing types. 'When I was young, I lived in various places with my mother, who was a domestic servant. I lost my father when I was three years old, so we moved around a lot.

We stayed in a kampung in Lorong Ah Soo, which today has HDB flats and is in Cynthia Phua's (MP for Aljunied GRC) constituency. Every time I visit the flats there, I still remember where the kampung house was. Then we moved to a shophouse in High Street. My mum was working for a High Street merchant at that time. Today, that is where the MTI (Ministry of Trade and Industry) and MOF (Ministry of Finance) are (in The Treasury building).

Then we moved to a room in Bugis Street. Today, it is Bugis Junction. There were 10 of us living in that room. We had one bed which slept five. It was raised so that another five could sleep underneath. Then, I moved to Kim Keat Avenue with my aunt - eight of us in a three-room flat, sharing one toilet and bathroom, while my mother stayed in a one-room rental flat in Whampoa Road.

Later, we upgraded to a four-room flat in Toa Payoh.

That is a typical Singapore story for my generation. Start in a modest flat, work hard, accumulate savings, and upgrade over time. Then, if you need to, rightsize to a smaller flat.' National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan recounting his childhood years growing up in various housing types.

Is the 4 rm flat in Toa Payoh now a shrine? :D

land118
21-02-11, 09:14
Is the 4 rm flat in Toa Payoh now a shrine? :DMany Toa Payoh flats have been upgraded, but MBT shld be residing in landed now.

focus
21-02-11, 14:17
Is landed easy to rent out?
I want to buy one for investment but worried no one wants to rent...

Probably looking at Serangoon Gdns as safer bet..
Or those in D15/16 easier to rent out to mgmt working in CBD?

land118
21-02-11, 16:55

Or those in D15/16 easier to rent out to mgmt working in CBD? Look for place where there is demand. Think both your suggestion is ok. Am familar with Ser Gdns, as inlaws stay there. Have French School near Kensington drive, French angmo with family prefer landed. Aussie school at Lor Chuan...as well. Agent once told me French like landed (bigger budget) while Aussie prefer condo. Happy hunting...

focus
21-02-11, 19:39
Look for place where there is demand. Think both your suggestion is ok. Am familar with Ser Gdns, as inlaws stay there. Have French School near Kensington drive, French angmo with family prefer landed. Aussie school at Lor Chuan...as well. Agent once told me French like landed (bigger budget) while Aussie prefer condo. Happy hunting...

Thanks. That's my idea of Serangoon Gdn area too.. got Nex Mall, the serangoon gdns mall.. a few international schools..

For D15/16, it's mainly the proximity to CBD for those working expats with high budget. :)

land118
21-02-11, 19:49
Thanks. That's my idea of Serangoon Gdn area too.. got Nex Mall, the serangoon gdns mall.. a few international schools..

For D15/16, it's mainly the proximity to CBD for those working expats with high budget. :)
For Ser Gdn, Nex mall has minimal impact, most own cars anyway but feeder bus from estate direct to Nex, also mini mall inside estate, My Village, can cater to basic needs. As for D15/D16, good schools, near beach, via ECP is close to CBD is an attraction,

devilplate
21-02-11, 23:38

Or those in D15/16 easier to rent out to mgmt working in CBD?

u wana buy at this current price ar...just by looking at the chart, biggest bubble is landed(detached)

focus
22-02-11, 01:12
u wana buy at this current price ar...just by looking at the chart, biggest bubble is landed(detached)

Your property is all so high end one...
Landed(DETACHED) means Bungalow?

I only can afford those inter-terrace and corner-t lah.. :(

mantrix
22-02-11, 06:22

Haha sourgrapes ar? Anyway I agree, government should step in and keep landed prices in check cos they will also lift condo prices anyway. Since it's all pre-emptive anyway, make sure government impose more coolers on landed else equal measures would not work since cash-rich people will shun condos in favour of landed and the landed bubble will grow bigger

hyenergix
22-02-11, 06:24
Most VIPs already own landed, why should be curb their own wealth?

mantrix
22-02-11, 07:03
Most VIPs already own landed, why should be curb their own wealth?

well they are not supposed to think only for themselves...

bullman
22-02-11, 07:59

Don't look down on those Inter and Corner terraces. Those in prime locations with 1600-2000 sqft land are transacting at 3.5 to 5.5 mil now. For landed, it's really about the very limited supply and ever increasing demand.

land118
22-02-11, 08:00
This is one segment that they will spend their least time on, and probably won't worry so much as it is not for the masses, will let market forces dictate. Most measures are already in place for this segment, such as rules to curb foreign ownership, etc. Although, general rule is that foreigners cannot own except Sentosa, but there are instances where PR apply and they approve. At most, behind the scene, they tighten on such approvals or where there are PR application for approval, they may limited to those 99yLH properties.

bullman
22-02-11, 09:17
On a more general note, the prices of landed are set to remain at their current lofty prices. For those who are in the landed market, you will realize that there are at least a few buyers for each landed, most are offering at close to the valuation prices, but owners are asking at above value. In most situations, its the buyers who blink first.

devilplate
22-02-11, 09:34

er...i super low end lor...buy into MM leh:ashamed1:

me a landed sour grape lor...haha

landed outperformed all other segments liao....scary to chase after runaway prices rite? look elsewhr lor:2cents:

proud owner
22-02-11, 10:01
Don't look down on those Inter and Corner terraces. Those in prime locations with 1600-2000 sqft land are transacting at 3.5 to 5.5 mil now. For landed, it's really about the very limited supply and ever increasing demand.

for landed cannot anyhow buy also ...

main road , like upp east coast ..most , if not all have land reserve within their compound ...

TK area, in fact , most landed are are non designated landed ...meaning they can be converted to low rise condo

if you want a landed for own stay ..you really dont want you neighbours to turn into a condo ...

so check out before you buy

greenhorn
22-02-11, 10:02

The very limited supply and high demand for Landed is akin to Gold. Gold at $1400 some say is biggest bubble but some say will go up to >$1500 and last week heard experts on CNBC said $2500 in due time. Similarly for landed, some say bubble, some say safe haven for $ while others are still dreaming of it. Economics 101...

devilplate
22-02-11, 10:27
The very limited supply and high demand for Landed is akin to Gold. Gold at $1400 some say is biggest bubble but some say will go up to >$1500 and last week heard experts on CNBC said $2500 in due time. Similarly for landed, some say bubble, some say safe haven for $ while others are still dreaming of it. Economics 101...

limited supply yes....but high demand is subjective and sentiment driven:2cents:

bullman
22-02-11, 10:41
for landed cannot anyhow buy also ...

main road , like upp east coast ..most , if not all have land reserve within their compound ...

TK area, in fact , most landed are are non designated landed ...meaning they can be converted to low rise condo

if you want a landed for own stay ..you really dont want you neighbours to turn into a condo ...

Thats very true. For the benefit of all,
1) One can check the road reserve line from SLA.
2) The designation can be obtained from Masterplan 2008.

From an earlier thread, I commented on the lack of due diligence by the buyer. Many think that buying a landed is akin to a condo.

Currently looking at D9,10 landed which mostly do not have RRL and purely 2-3 storey designated landed only.

bullman
22-02-11, 10:45
er...i super low end lor...buy into MM leh:ashamed1:

me a landed sour grape lor...haha

landed outperformed all other segments liao....scary to chase after runaway prices rite? look elsewhr lor:2cents:

Frankly, I do not see it as chasing runaway prices. Rather, the landed prices have been undervalued all along and home buyers are starting to see the light (Developers saw the light a long time ago).

In the next down, how much can landed drop from the peak? 40-50% ? These are not exactly prime condo units that we are talking about here. Moving forward, how much more steam left in the landed bull? Its anybody's guess.

In a nutshell, I am speaking like those analysts; nothing useful.

devilplate
22-02-11, 10:52
Frankly, I do not see it as chasing runaway prices. Rather, the landed prices have been undervalued all along and home buyers are starting to see the light (Developers saw the light a long time ago).

In the next down, how much can landed drop from the peak? 40-50% ? These are not exactly prime condo units that we are talking about here. Moving forward, how much more steam left in the landed bull? Its anybody's guess.

In a nutshell, I am speaking like those analysts; nothing useful.

applies to all other segments den....

smtimes i mentioned certain projects cheap for a reason....but others may find it to be undervalued gems....:D

bullman
22-02-11, 10:58
applies to all other segments den....

smtimes i mentioned certain projects cheap for a reason....but others may find it to be undervalued gems....:D

:D . What can I say? "One man's meat is another man's poison? "

For some who are willing to overlook the "flaws", cheap units become undervalued gems. There are many projects as examples but I shall not go into that area, lest subjected to flaminology.

On a more serious note, I think 2011 is the year of the "landed" story. Check out the caveats in Jan and Feb for a more complete picture.

devilplate
22-02-11, 11:04
:D . What can I say? "One man's meat is another man's poison? "

For some who are willing to overlook the "flaws", cheap units become undervalued gems. There are many projects as examples but I shall not go into that area, lest subjected to flaminology.

On a more serious note, I think 2011 is the year of the "landed" story. Check out the caveats in Jan and Feb for a more complete picture.

2010 biggest winner oredi goes to landed.....2011 again....OMG....i dun have any landed:scared-3: :doh: :banghead:

Santro
22-02-11, 12:56
Apologies for being blur. How do we check on the designation of non-landed from Masterplan 2008.

Thats very true. For the benefit of all,
1) One can check the road reserve line from SLA.
2) The designation can be obtained from Masterplan 2008.

From an earlier thread, I commented on the lack of due diligence by the buyer. Many think that buying a landed is akin to a condo.

Currently looking at D9,10 landed which mostly do not have RRL and purely 2-3 storey designated landed only.

focus
22-02-11, 13:10

Silver also.. They say it's fair value is gold/silver ratio of 30. So if gold is 2500 , then silver theorectically should be $83. If gold now at $1400, the fair value is around $43.. So silver still got room to run.. Everywhere there is a story for a bull.. and a bear... That's what makes investment interesting.. you take a side and your results shows whether you are correct or not..

Duku
22-02-11, 22:07

Double edge sword
On the flip side if you have a plot ratio . Potentially you can enbloc with neighbors to sell
Thus your potential value could easily be higher on a psf basis base on plot ratio
Eg destinated landed site 2000 sf at 1000psf =2 m
With plot ratio 1.4 at psf 1200 (assuming base on surrounding condo px) = 3.36m

proud owner
23-02-11, 07:54
Double edge sword
On the flip side if you have a plot ratio . Potentially you can enbloc with neighbors to sell
Thus your potential value could easily be higher on a psf basis base on plot ratio

yes you can be 'enbloc'

thats why so many bouquet condos in east coast area ... simply to much ..overkill

if you want a landed for own stay, then i would avoid those areas ..

bullman
23-02-11, 10:57
Double edge sword

That is a really interesting point that is being brought up. Actually, when developers make offer to enbloc for landed, they will offer based on the plot ratio.

In this sense, owners develop the false impression that developers are offering much higher prices compared to the market, which is approximately 40% more, based on a plot ratio of 1.4.

Morale of the story: Get landed in areas with 1.8- 2.2 plot ratio. Those are the gems. Cat is out of the bag?

proud owner
23-02-11, 11:03
That is a really interesting point that is being brought up. Actually, when developers make offer to enbloc for landed, they will offer based on the plot ratio.

In this sense, owners develop the false impression that developers are offering much higher prices compared to the market, which is approximately 40% more, based on a plot ratio of 1.4.

Morale of the story: Get landed in areas with 1.8- 2.2 plot ratio. Those are the gems. Cat is out of the bag?

aiya know this long ago already lah

duckweed
23-02-11, 11:47
yes you can be 'enbloc'

thats why so many bouquet condos in east coast area ... simply to much ..overkill

wa.... developers selling flowers now?

proud owner
23-02-11, 11:57
wa.... developers selling flowers now?

my bad ...

wind30
23-02-11, 15:19
yes you can be 'enbloc'

agreed. If you want for own stay, 100% avoid those area.

terrible living environment. I mean if your neighbour wants to enbloc and force you to sell together with him, makes your life difficult... faint.

Or if you want to enbloc, neighbour don't want to enbloc. After all, after 1-2 rounds of enbloc fever, those who want to enbloc probably may already have. Those who don't want, die die will stay on....

not to mention all the condo buildings, overcrowded roads. super bad.

land118
23-02-11, 22:59
agreed. If you want for own stay, 100% avoid those area.

terrible living environment. I mean if your neighbour wants to enbloc and force you to sell together with him, makes your life difficult... faint.

Or if you want to enbloc, neighbour don't want to enbloc. After all, after 1-2 rounds of enbloc fever, those who want to enbloc probably may already have. Those who don't want, die die will stay on....

not to mention all the condo buildings, overcrowded roads. super bad. Agree, imagine next day, several houses along the same lane get enbloc to be built into a boutique condo. Once up, u now have more cars passing your house every morning & evening..., lane become a busy street. Wkend sometimes even worst, esp if your house is now next to condo, cars queue up from security entrance right up to your gate, while waiting to clear guardhouse...certainly a no-no if you are buying to stay..., suddenly doesn't feel like a landed anymore...gone is the exclusiveness that landed entails...

devilplate
23-02-11, 23:36
Agree, imagine next day, several houses along the same lane get enbloc to be built into a boutique condo. Once up, u now have more cars passing your house every morning & evening..., lane become a busy street. Wkend sometimes even worst, esp if your house is now next to condo, cars queue up from security entrance right up to your gate, while waiting to clear guardhouse...certainly a no-no if you are buying to stay..., suddenly doesn't feel like a landed anymore...gone is the exclusiveness that landed entails...

but if buy for investment....can pray for enbloc windfall rite?:2cents:

land118
23-02-11, 23:45
but if buy for investment....can pray for enbloc windfall rite?:2cents:
Yes, sometimes durian do fall$....

Duku
24-02-11, 00:14
Agree, imagine next day, several houses along the same lane get enbloc to be built into a boutique condo. Once up, u now have more cars passing your house every morning & evening..., lane become a busy street. Wkend sometimes even worst, esp if your house is now next to condo, cars queue up from security entrance right up to your gate, while waiting to clear guardhouse...certainly a no-no if you are buying to stay..., suddenly doesn't feel like a landed anymore...gone is the exclusiveness that landed entails...

Agreed
Then again not ALL landed in such area are considered to be bad.
There are still pockets of gems there.
With the potential windfall, perhaps an 'upgrade' to a more exclusive landed area could be considered as well :)

devilplate
24-02-11, 00:27
Agreed
Then again not ALL landed in such area are considered to be bad.
There are still pockets of gems there.
With the potential windfall, perhaps an 'upgrade' to a more exclusive landed area could be considered as well :)

very hard to fish out gems liao....many waiting for enbloc instead or ask high high when they noe got enbloc potential....

only chance to buy those gems is during next recession:banghead: