PDA

View Full Version : change car now or later?

devilplate
12-02-11, 16:35
tinking of changing my ride....

if COE drop further....my current car trade in value aso drop accordingly? dollar to dollar? any car guru here?

just checked out a few car showroom....new car prices down by 3-5k...but my trade in value aso drop accordingly:doh: :banghead:

azeoprop
12-02-11, 16:41
Car = deprecating asset, unless u bought at those $2 coe times. :D

Can sell as 2nd hand then go public for a while until $2 coe returns again? :rolleyes:

devilplate
12-02-11, 16:51
Car = deprecating asset, unless u bought at those $2 coe times. :D

Can sell as 2nd hand then go public for a while until $2 coe returns again? :rolleyes:

tat will be the last thing i wud do.....:D

i just worried about short term fluctuations....tats all...dunwan to book a car now and to see my car price drop even b4 collecting the new ride....:scared-3:

car is nvr an asset lor....its a luxury liability.....:D

banks still offering 90% auto loans...kind of dangerous....if recession hits, COE drop to 10k....bank jialat?

DC33_2008
12-02-11, 17:01
What is the chance of COE to drop by 10k in the next 1 year?

devilplate
12-02-11, 17:04
What is the chance of COE to drop by 10k in the next 1 year?

STI drop to 2k points first....

stocks drop...ppty and COEs will follow

DC33_2008
12-02-11, 17:06
Can buy more properties.

teddybear
12-02-11, 17:33
You remind of another thing - Property (an asset) LTV drop to 60%, whereas for car still 90% loan to car value and is a liability rather than an asset? Ironic and contrasting policy? To protect the banks from bad debts from car mortgages (as almost all car outstanding loan is less than their resale value), shouldn't cars LTV be reduced to 50%? :p

tat will be the last thing i wud do.....:D

i just worried about short term fluctuations....tats all...dunwan to book a car now and to see my car price drop even b4 collecting the new ride....:scared-3:

car is nvr an asset lor....its a luxury liability.....:D

banks still offering 90% auto loans...kind of dangerous....if recession hits, COE drop to 10k....bank jialat?

land118
12-02-11, 18:18
You remind of another thing - Property (an asset) LTV drop to 60%, whereas for car still 90% loan to car value and is a liability rather than an asset? Ironic and contrasting policy? To protect the banks from bad debts from car mortgages (as almost all car outstanding loan is less than their resale value), shouldn't cars LTV be reduced to 50%? :pIf LTV down to 50%, will impact demand for sure

kingkong1984
12-02-11, 18:44
Coe going down for sure.... Slowly but surely. Very clear cut for Cat B. Cat A rather stable not below 30k.

Devil, do u own one car or two or more.

If one car, can secure a new car before selling.

If can wait, it's better to wait.

Change car one time, get chop one time. Trade in get chop again. Chop chop Robert.

If two cars, sell the higher value one.

desquire
12-02-11, 18:52
If I'm not wrong quota will b cut further. I guess prob gd time too. Soon COE will go up further??

Audi going very strong with their A4 at 159k as well as Volks with endless promotions. Buy high sell high. Buy low sell low. I also having the same dilemma. Hehe.

My car already 6yrs wanna sell but still running well. I also dont know what to do as all car and property prices going crazy Hmmmmm...:D

kingkong1984
12-02-11, 19:38
6 yrs should change already. Especially for auto's.

Quota should not be cut further. New rules. Those Aug 2011 due to retire soon.

Cat B should fall to 40k there about. My guess.

sh
12-02-11, 20:05

why 6yrs should change? singapore is an abnormality, overseas people keep cars for more than 10yrs. Just that our system don't allow that. My 6yr old is still doing fine and look ok too.... will keep a little while longer.....:)

not worried about coe yet....

devilplate
12-02-11, 20:25
Mabe i shd wait abit longer for the new A6....full led headlamps.... Chio.... Hehe

desquire
12-02-11, 21:03

I'm on manual. So very used to it. Age hopping up very fast. Maybe time for step and go. :D

desquire
12-02-11, 21:09
why 6yrs should change? singapore is an abnormality, overseas people keep cars for more than 10yrs. Just that our system don't allow that. My 6yr old is still doing fine and look ok too.... will keep a little while longer.....:)

not worried about coe yet....
Hehe. True. The abnormalities of Singapore or should we say it's "uniqueness"...haha. Hello Kitty also queue. Kekeke.

Yup good cars are hard to one buy. Rabbit or no rabbit I guess maybe I should keep a little longer and see how the COE hops... Up or down?!?!?

Suspense can be fun, exciting and stressful at the same time...:o

devilplate
12-02-11, 21:11
I'm on manual. So very used to it. Age hopping up very fast. Maybe time for step and go. :D

there is no time limit for duration of ownership for car.....although thumb of rule is to change after 4th yr to minimize losses....

when feel like splurging on a new ride....tats the time to change...LOL

kingkong1984
12-02-11, 21:18
Manual easier to maintain. Still prefer manual unless it's traffic jam.

devilplate
12-02-11, 21:28
Manual easier to maintain. Still prefer manual unless it's traffic jam.

yes for europe for eg.... but definitely not for sg lor...my vy first car manual...wrong choice...change after 1.5yrs...super bleeds...lol...

wonder how he can drive a manual car for 6yrs ...power...

manual for 2nd performance car mabe...hehe

kingkong1984
12-02-11, 21:38
yes for europe for eg.... but definitely not for sg lor...my vy first car manual...wrong choice...change after 1.5yrs...super bleeds...lol...

Manual for 2nd performance car mabe...hehe
Should be second car, first car auto.

Auto more in demand now due to younger drivers.

sh
12-02-11, 21:45
I drive a manual. I prefer manual to auto.... It's a more involved drive...

devilplate
12-02-11, 21:48

but left leg damn tired and piss off if caught in an hour jam....:simmering:

kingkong1984
12-02-11, 21:50
That's the problem. I get muscle pull for that before and I am young..

sh
12-02-11, 21:51

used to it.... look at it this way, like going to gym:)

desquire
12-02-11, 21:59

Hehe. In fact I hv nvr once owned an auto. Rather hesitant when I hear this auto thingy.
Tried and tested my friends ride but whatever it is I just can't seem to be able to adapt myself to it.

I've been on manual for like 19 years now and still in love and longing for it. Maybe it's just me. Hehe.:D

devilplate
12-02-11, 22:03
Hehe. In fact I hv nvr once owned an auto. Rather hesitant when I hear this auto thingy.
Tried and tested my friends ride but whatever it is I just can't seem to be able to adapt myself to it.

I've been on manual for like 19 years now and still in love and longing for it. Maybe it's just me. Hehe.:D

u and SH become gd buddies liao:cheers6:

desquire
12-02-11, 22:06
Mabe i shd wait abit longer for the new A6....full led headlamps.... Chio.... Hehe

Beemer and Merc step aside.. Here comes the Audi... The attraction of the new generation...

Very chip but the price even chio-er. Hehe. Nevertheless, the people there always hv good promotions... Mybe 5% accessories aka FEO style. :o

desquire
12-02-11, 22:10
there is no time limit for duration of ownership for car.....although thumb of rule is to change after 4th yr to minimize losses....

when feel like splurging on a new ride....tats the time to change...LOL
The itch is always there but I can't scratch the $$$$ out if my skin. Hehe.

As for me even aft 3mnths my eyes starts to oogle for new wheels. T

hat's why the rule of the thumb is to get a good one so that I'll enjoy it no matter what comes next...

desquire
12-02-11, 22:19

In 2003 (if I'm not wrong) got a car at COE at around 30k. It drops wirh immediate tobrht very month...the rest is history...

I sold the ride two yrs later, I don't only bleed. I even sought treatment by dialling for the emergency ambulance but no one answered the cry-wolf. :eek: .

I
lost too much blood that I almost died. :scared-5:

sh
12-02-11, 22:19
anyone tried the paddle transmission at the sides of steering wheels? like F1 cars?:confused:

desquire
12-02-11, 22:34
Should be second car, first car auto.

Auto more in demand now due to younger drivers.
I'm just an average Singaporean working hard to feed the family like many of the rest...

Just one simple manual car for the family...:D

romeo
12-02-11, 22:41
anyone tried the paddle transmission at the sides of steering wheels? like F1 cars?:confused:

most mid-end n above auto cars come with these nowadays?

devilplate
12-02-11, 22:50
most mid-end n above auto cars come with these nowadays?

lancer ex oredi has it...hehe

kingkong1984
12-02-11, 22:51
For cars, go for popular brands for good resale value.

Then once u decide on the brand already, go for best in class. Worth every bit.

Peddle shifters nothing special. Drives like datona game in arcade. Right up and left down.

Regulators
12-02-11, 22:58
entry level lexus is250 has that, i dislike it coz i always associate those paddles beside steering wheel with headlamps and wiper.

maisonjai
13-02-11, 00:04
now Euro cheap cheap right, u foresee Euro going soon? If EU up then COE down enuff to offset?

Audi RS5 rocks :santana:

maisonjai
13-02-11, 00:11

need a bit getting use to. I remember small cars like Honda Jazz City / Jazz already have this CVT trans. Normal auto with shifter 1.8 Civic GL oso have. Rent one ferrari from Luxe and try la.:cheers6: vrooommmm

Komo
13-02-11, 07:35
Deleted. Deleted.

Komo
13-02-11, 07:43
Try going up NEX carpark during peak to the top!:D

Komo
13-02-11, 07:50
Can buy more properties.
Cash is never enough. Rather keep and be prepared for the coming down turn than bother too much with cars. :D drive an ae98 also ok:D

azeoprop
13-02-11, 08:04
Beemer and Merc step aside.. Here comes the Audi... The attraction of the new generation...

Very chip but the price even chio-er. Hehe. Nevertheless, the people there always hv good promotions... Mybe 5% accessories aka FEO style. :o

Audi is like so common in china, every corner of the road in shanghai or beijing u will see A4 or A6. Same for volkswagen and BMW and all made in china one. :doh:

btw, A4 sells from 291k rmb and A6 sells from 355k rmb. :rolleyes:
http://www.audi.com/cn/brand/en/models/a4.html
http://www.audi.com/cn/brand/en/models/a6.html

sh
13-02-11, 08:10

Gone to NEX once, gave up after that.... ooops :scared-4:

Not going to start another angry tirade of merits of OCR/CCR on this thread :scared-1:

ecimbew
13-02-11, 08:44
Audi is like so common in china, every corner of the road in shanghai or beijing u will see A4 or A6. Same for volkswagen and BMW and all made in china one. :doh:

Well, these mainland Chinese are the new super spender. When I was in Europe, they were grabbing branded goods like buying vegetables in market. The europeans are learning Chinese to sell goods. MM Lee does have foresight. :scared-1:

kingkong1984
13-02-11, 08:51
Just go by country size, u know Liao. The 3 big ones. One broken up, one fighting housing woes and one keeping their currency low.

Go MBS or RWS restaurants can see Liao. Young with lots of money.

desquire
13-02-11, 10:33
Tried and tested at NEX, Genting, JB jam and most other complications... All goes very well and as smooth as silk..:D

ymgsterling
13-02-11, 10:44
If I'm not wrong quota will b cut further. I guess prob gd time too. Soon COE will go up further??

Audi going very strong with their A4 at 159k as well as Volks with endless promotions. Buy high sell high. Buy low sell low. I also having the same dilemma. Hehe.

My car already 6yrs wanna sell but still running well. I also dont know what to do as all car and property prices going crazy Hmmmmm...:D

Sell high, buy higher!
Buy low, sell lower!
My personal opinion, pre-owned cars are more value for $ now

desquire
13-02-11, 10:49

When Toyota injected their "Sawadee" versions to replace their trademark "Banzai".. People here were dead skeptical and confidence were lost...

Few years down the road... it's everywhere on the roads... Most of the things are manufactured and assembled in China which currently seems to be the main market.

Well look at the number of Audis and VW on the roads. Their marketing team sure is aggressive...

desquire
13-02-11, 10:52
Well, these mainland Chinese are the new super spender. When I was in Europe, they were grabbing branded goods like buying vegetables in market. The europeans are learning Chinese to sell goods. MM Lee does have foresight. :scared-1:
They hv already jumped ship to Ferrari which sells most of their cars in a single country in China!!!:scared-4:

desquire
13-02-11, 10:59
Sell high, buy higher!
Buy low, sell lower!

Yup... Spot on. Just like property.. It all depends on budget, needs, wants and mist importantly $$$$$$$$ and endless of $$$$$$$$

Until I no longer can stand the itch, that's where the time has come. For now my faithful 4 wheeler has been serving me extremely well...

Nothing has caught my eye as yet apart from GTR which obviously I cannot afford...hehehe. So sit down one corner, admire and the dream goes on...:D

Rysk
13-02-11, 12:44
Now Cat A & B is different by 15k.. maybe is wise to go for Merc C-Class 1.6.. heard the price is like $160k

devilplate
13-02-11, 13:24
Sell high, buy higher!
Buy low, sell lower!

i did check out those 1-2yo used cars...not worth it if u goto trade in ur current car to them....plus tx fee....number rentention....2nd owner status.....goto make sure u drive until scrap....if not practically no resale value if u were to sell again and the COE is damn low at few ks to 20k at most....preowned cars simply not worth it.....but if buy without trade in...can consider lah:2cents:

if buy new car...trade in value for ur used car is higher....

devilplate
13-02-11, 13:27
Now Cat A & B is different by 15k.. maybe is wise to go for Merc C-Class 1.6.. heard the price is like $160k

but C180 C&C profit margin highest compared to C200/300....personally prefer C200....but their 5 speed gearbox turns me off....hehe

sh
13-02-11, 13:31
buying a car is pure emotions.... you just can't rationalize emotions, with COE, stats, etc.... go with your guts. Just buy the the car you love must within what you're willing to pay.

Can't make money from them either. treat it as an expense.

focus
13-02-11, 13:36

Agreed. I asked my female friends which car they think is more prestigious and branded...

BMW , MERC, AUDI.

They choose AUDI.

Think the marketing is getting to them. Merc and BMW not donig much marketing to the mass public.

devilplate
13-02-11, 13:48
Agreed. I asked my female friends which car they think is more prestigious and branded...

BMW , MERC, AUDI.

They choose AUDI.

Think the marketing is getting to them. Merc and BMW not donig much marketing to the mass public.

actually the 3 of them put in similar marketing efforts lor....every sat paper...3 of them sure got at least half a page ads...bmw/audi usually 1 full page or more...lol

its the LEDs technology i must say is drawing in the yuppies crowd....

for oldman/towkays still prefer 7series/S class benz rather den the new A8 i believe

new A6 stand a gd chance to fight 5series/Eclass:D ...at least it oredi won me over by merely internet pics....LOL:ashamed1: :D

devilplate
13-02-11, 14:04
i am drooling......:o ;)

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q4/2012_audi_a6-official_photos_and_info/gallery

maisonjai
13-02-11, 14:43

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q4/2012_audi_a6-official_photos_and_info/gallery

are they bringing in the 2.0 diesel Turbo?

desquire
13-02-11, 16:48

Impressive. I just drooled but hv to licked the saliva back into my mouth and shut my lips tight. Hehe. :D

august
13-02-11, 22:06

BMW , MERC, AUDI.

They choose AUDI.

Merc still for prestige, is reflected in the price

Audi for the looks, but looks dun last :p

orange
14-02-11, 11:18

Not only made in china for china market and wildly popular there, A4 and A6 is now made in Indonesia for the local market, and very popular among the masses as well.

Soon all the indonesian and china tycoon will shun audi. No more exclusivity.

bullman
14-02-11, 11:41
i did check out those 1-2yo used cars...not worth it if u goto trade in ur current car to them....plus tx fee....number rentention....2nd owner status.....goto make sure u drive until scrap....if not practically no resale value if u were to sell again and the COE is damn low at few ks to 20k at most....preowned cars simply not worth it.....but if buy without trade in...can consider lah:2cents:

if buy new car...trade in value for ur used car is higher....

Hi bro,

Think you are thinking too much. Since its well known that a car is a liability, then one should be emotional when buying, e.g. just buy if the feeling is right. If you start taking the calculator and crunch the numbers, the conclusion is always the same, not worth buying.

Just to share, I have never bought a new car before. My cars are always 2nd hand which are normally 1-2 years old. Currently driving a 525, bought it from a direct buyer when it was just 9 mths old in end 2009. Seller wanted to upgrade to 7 series. My wife is driving a C180 and its just right for her. I bought it when it was 1 year old back in mid 2010. For a zippy ride, I just added a 2 year old Z4 for weekend driving without the baby.

devilplate
14-02-11, 21:17
Hi bro,

Think you are thinking too much. Since its well known that a car is a liability, then one should be emotional when buying, e.g. just buy if the feeling is right. If you start taking the calculator and crunch the numbers, the conclusion is always the same, not worth buying.

Just to share, I have never bought a new car before. My cars are always 2nd hand which are normally 1-2 years old. Currently driving a 525, bought it from a direct buyer when it was just 9 mths old in end 2009. Seller wanted to upgrade to 7 series. My wife is driving a C180 and its just right for her. I bought it when it was 1 year old back in mid 2010. For a zippy ride, I just added a 2 year old Z4 for weekend driving without the baby.

even though its 5-10k diff...still goto tink abit mah...i am willing to buy a car at current COE price....but since many ppl say resale better mah...which is not really true if u got car to trade in....buyers goto be careful about those new car list prices at sgcarmart....basic A4 listed at 202k but actually got 33k discount+10k financial rebate+COE rebate level at 59k somemore which become <159k and i saw some 9mths old A4 trying to sell at 14xk at COE 2xk and claimed tat new car selling at 202k...haha

devilplate
23-02-11, 23:33
62k....wow...hehe:D :cheers6:

Regulators
23-02-11, 23:45
paying 60-70k for COE is just not worth it. 2-3 yr old cars are already selling cheaper than the COE, so what is the point?

devilplate
23-02-11, 23:52
paying 60-70k for COE is just not worth it. 2-3 yr old cars are already selling cheaper than the COE, so what is the point?

u mean jap/kor made? cat A 42k rite....hehe

the point is: some ppl stop buying hse and splurge on luxury items? lol

my jaw dropped when i saw ppl buy a jean/jacket tat cost 1-2k without batting an eye.....buy 20k-30k rolex machiam buy grocery.....:scared-1:

i goto tink and tink for 5-10k difference when changing a car.....:ashamed1: :o :banghead:

Regulators
24-02-11, 00:00
These days luxury brands like LV and prada looks cheap as well coz plenty of ah lian carrying it. problem with rolex is their design 20 years ago look the same as present day. a second hand rolex can looks just like a brand new one after some polishing, coz a number of the oyster perpetual design 10 years ago is exactly the same as the design today, only dif is the metal strap, past was hollow and present is solid.

u mean jap/kor made? cat A 42k rite....hehe

the point is: some ppl stop buying hse and splurge on luxury items? lol

my jaw dropped when i saw ppl buy a jean/jacket tat cost 1-2k without batting an eye.....buy 20k-30k rolex machiam buy grocery.....:scared-1:

i goto tink and tink for 5-10k difference when changing a car.....:ashamed1: :o :banghead:

desquire
24-02-11, 09:13
OIt's now like buy one car get another free months back... but again life goes on... grrrr...:doh: