PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice: make offer and sell old place or wait

hovivi
16-01-11, 07:12
I jus viewed a landed unit on fri. Agent claimed deadline tomorrow as he got offer with cheque and owner will decide by tomorrow.

Price seems ok but I haven't sell my current place. My concern is I commit to the new house at current high price and I need to quickly sell my current place to pay for the new house. With the cooling measure last week, it may be difficult to sell my place now or sell under distressed as prospective buyers will factor in cooling measure and offer low price.

If I commit to a new place without selling the old one, I will be roasted or becoming one of those desperate sellers..

Would like to seek the view of experienced ppty players here for advice.. Thanks in advance.

marc2050
16-01-11, 08:18
Sell current first before buying new.
Unless you're very confident to sell your place in 1 week's time or
you believe you've the lucky star or
you got enough cash to cover all the advance payments.

jwong71
16-01-11, 08:39
Most of the time the agents told me alrdy got last offer or tonite 2nd viewing. Pressure me into offering..
But I still see the units available. If agents word can believe, pigs really climb trees then

devilplate
16-01-11, 09:00
I jus viewed a landed unit on fri. Agent claimed deadline tomorrow as he got offer with cheque and owner will decide by tomorrow.

Price seems ok but I haven't sell my current place. My concern is I commit to the new house at current high price and I need to quickly sell my current place to pay for the new house. With the cooling measure last week, it may be difficult to sell my place now or sell under distressed as prospective buyers will factor in cooling measure and offer low price.

If I commit to a new place without selling the old one, I will be roasted or becoming one of those desperate sellers..

Would like to seek the view of experienced ppty players here for advice.. Thanks in advance.

no hurry bro....y not discuss wif ur banker on equity loan....dun sell to buy another one now....not worth it....new purchase comes with 4yrs MOP...lol

zzz1
16-01-11, 09:22

typical pressure tick...
current market is still waiting for the dust to settle and advised not to catch the falling knife...

not too sure of your selling ? change of location for school? cash out ?
current time, you may need to consider sell then buy...if don have extra 'holding hse' u need to consider short term rental ...cos buying a 'ideal; hse also take time..

cheongster
16-01-11, 09:49
Can't agree more..
Totally disgusted with such business practice.
CEA should find ways to punish such agents if they are found to be lying.
Its call falsification of information aka LIAR.

Most of the time the agents told me alrdy got last offer or tonite 2nd viewing. Pressure me into offering..
But I still see the units available. If agents word can believe, pigs really climb trees then

sh
16-01-11, 09:58
be patient. your situation is the worst if you buy the unit.

You are buying your unit at pre-measure prices.

You have to sell your unit at post-measure prices.

Not very clever.

Unless you really, really love that unit so much that there is no other alternative, then go for it, even if it is at a premium.

hovivi
16-01-11, 10:28
Sell current first before buying new.
Unless you're very confident to sell your place in 1 week's time or
you believe you've the lucky star or
you got enough cash to cover all the advance payments.

Thanks.... I feel it's high risk too.. So soon after cooling measure, difficult.. Perhaps I can sign the option, and try to sell before I exercise the option.. If I can't sell I forgo the 1pct..

hovivi
16-01-11, 10:30
be patient. your situation is the worst if you buy the unit.

You are buying your unit at pre-measure prices.

You have to sell your unit at post-measure prices.

Not very clever.

Unless you really, really love that unit so much that there is no other alternative, then go for it, even if it is at a premium.

Whole family love it except me and wife more measured... Agree with you. Someone i feel like i am a carrothead if i buy now.. Thks.

cashrich
16-01-11, 10:40
Please share landed type, size and price. Your current size, type and last transacted plus your asking.

Rysk
16-01-11, 11:58
Best is to sell first then buy unless you are rich without any problem to hold 2 or more pty.
Even up to the extend to stay hotel for 1-mth before move to your new place, at least you can sleep peacefully regardless whether is Hotel 81 or St. Regis Hotel :D

land118
16-01-11, 18:21
Suggest u be patient as what others have advise u. In this times, with cooling measures, hard to believe that there is a cheque waiting for owner to cash in, unless price is bargain- which is unlikely as from the classified ads I see during these 2 days, most are still asking for same prices as last wkend but maybe owners more likely to negotiate down tis time. If u buy now, likely given what u describe, u will be stressed to offload your current. Better to sell 1st and then commit to buy. If really no luck and cheque is true, and u miss out on tis property, so be it. Am sure, another property will come along soon which maybe to your liking and maybe lower psf.

hovivi
16-01-11, 20:53
Thanks for all the advice. Agent just called, unit sold.

devilplate
16-01-11, 20:57
Looks like landed unaffeted... Peot villas damn packed but others packed wif agts.... Haha

kingkong1984
16-01-11, 21:15

remember SSD only kicks in when you have to sell. Buying a landed is for long term commitment, if have to sell, sell after 4 years then. No big deal if it is for self stay, FH means forever right? (kidding).

Again, would you buy and risk not able to sell your unit? Do it the safest way, sell first and look. It used to be ok to buy and then sell later when the prices are going up. But this time, its clearly going down.

jwong71
16-01-11, 21:28

who knows, agent might call u to inform that cheque bounce or buyer run road. its back available again.

if i listen to agent's word long time ago,etc buy flamingo valley in 2010.
i think i run road liao

hovivi
16-01-11, 21:32
At the end of the day the risk is too huge for me to take for a unit that I'm not 80pct happy.. Good advices fm folks here, I will either sell first or otherwise rebuild my puny terrace..

devilplate
16-01-11, 22:56
At the end of the day the risk is too huge for me to take for a unit that I'm not 80pct happy.. Good advices fm folks here, I will either sell first or otherwise rebuild my puny terrace..

isit almost fully paid? pls look at equity loan b4 u sell ok? mabe u can own 2ppty at the same time.....explore more options lor:2cents:

although i dun own any landed(potential sore loser here), i believe landed is priceless....try not to sell:D

u2torneil
16-01-11, 23:44
How much is Poets Villa asking for now?

Looks like landed unaffeted... Peot villas damn packed but others packed wif agts.... Haha

devilplate
16-01-11, 23:51
How much is Poets Villa asking for now?

ard 640-670psf..i m conservative type....rather buy 999 or FH cluster housing or true landed...i wonder y these days singka dun mind 99LH clustered housing and their prices arent any much cheaper:confused:

i realise clustered housing r going towards MM too....footprint about 7xx-8xxsqft nia

hans
17-01-11, 00:02

This tells us, cos of the new cooling measure, sellers with offers will sell.

u2torneil
17-01-11, 00:05
Wow, not cheap at all post-cooling measures. For an average 3400-3500 sqft unit, still about $2.1-2.3M for a 99LH landed property. Not to forget that maintenance fees each month would be about $500-1000 at least.

ard 640-670psf..i m conservative type....rather buy 999 or FH cluster housing or true landed...i wonder y these days singka dun mind 99LH clustered housing and their prices arent any much cheaper:confused:

i realise clustered housing r going towards MM too....footprint about 7xx-8xxsqft nia

hans
17-01-11, 00:06

At this point of time, your down payment is 40% for 2nd property. have u taken that into consideration.

hans
17-01-11, 00:10
who knows, agent might call u to inform that cheque bounce or buyer run road. its back available again.

if i listen to agent's word long time ago,etc buy flamingo valley in 2010.
i think i run road liao

all lot us forgot the last cooling measure in aug, landed property prices surged even higher after the cooling measures,

rattydrama
17-01-11, 00:13
isit almost fully paid? pls look at equity loan b4 u sell ok? mabe u can own 2ppty at the same time.....explore more options lor:2cents:

although i dun own any landed(potential sore loser here), i believe landed is priceless....try not to sell:D

I assume referring to FH landed and not LH landed right? I bio sembawang FH landed before 1.3m few years back, wanted to but my friend sold at break-even price so kind of affected me. -- so never buy..... guess price has leaped.

devilplate
17-01-11, 00:16
I assume referring to FH landed and not LH landed right?

y asking the obvious?:p

devilplate
17-01-11, 00:17
Wow, not cheap at all post-cooling measures. For an average 3400-3500 sqft unit, still about $2.1-2.3M for a 99LH landed property. Not to forget that maintenance fees each month would be about $500-1000 at least.

quoted $350 pm

devilplate
17-01-11, 00:19
I assume referring to FH landed and not LH landed right? I bio sembawang FH landed before 1.3m few years back, wanted to but my friend sold at break-even price so kind of affected me. -- so never buy..... guess price has leaped.

if i m not wrong, semb landed only leaped not long ago nia....so actually gd thing u din buy few yrs bck...aiya...buy any landed last yr b4 Oct aso huat....now can only be sour grapes...:ashamed1:

hovivi
17-01-11, 07:27

Existing unit is with equity loan.. Can fully pay.. But to use that to buy 2 is risky for me... Beyond my means to maintain total of 2m loan lor...

Actually outside the central area, landed didn't appreciate More than condo.. At least for d16.. It was a laggard until around mid of last year.. I know cos I sold A condo to move to landed 5 years back and have been tracking price movements..

bullman
17-01-11, 07:30
There are still good buy FH landed available in the market now.

I am only familiar with D15 landed and you can still find $800 psf for land, FH inter terrace. The land size ranges from 1600 to 2000 sqft so quantum is around 1.3 to 1.6 mil.

They are still good buys IMO and it shows that not all landed has caught the wave yet. These houses are normally in original condition and you will need to do A&A , recon or rebuild , depending on what you want to do with the place.

teddybear
17-01-11, 07:30
Lots of cheap landed in Seletar, Yishun, D16 etc as well. How they gone up a lot? Don't think so. In 2009 Aug, you can get a FH/999LH landed terrace in D16 for $1.5m (and already rebuilt about 2 years ago so quite new somemore). Now you can get them for about $1.8m. Not much upside right after 1.5 years (vs condos)? With the new Govt measures, there sure will be even less potential buyers.

Existing unit is with equity loan.. Can fully pay.. But to use that to buy 2 is risky for me... Beyond my means to maintain total of 2m loan lor...

Actually outside the central area, landed didn't appreciate More than condo.. At least for d16.. It was a laggard until around mid of last year.. I know cos I sold A condo to move to landed 5 years back and have been tracking price movements..

hovivi
17-01-11, 07:34

TS
17-01-11, 08:09

I like this... Agree!
However, once in a once may have real cases.:D

bullman
17-01-11, 08:12
I like this... Agree!
However, once in a once may have real cases.:D

Actually, most involving landed are generally genuine. From what I observe, and find it strange, landed deals move very fast, sometimes even within 2-3 days. Don't the buyers need to perform background checks which are more excessive with respect to condo units?

proper-t
17-01-11, 08:56
Actually, most involving landed are generally genuine. From what I observe, and find it strange, landed deals move very fast, sometimes even within 2-3 days. Don't the buyers need to perform background checks which are more excessive with respect to condo units?

Its not that strange.

Firstly, the pool of landed available for sale (don't count the leasehold or cluster type) is actually very small. When you narrow it down to an area you like, the number gets even less. Very often, I find myself having to jostle with other 'competitors'.

Secondly, most potential buyers who view landed tend to be really serious. Assuming this is their 2nd property, the sheer quantum of cash need for the downpayment separates them from the usual MM condo investors. Most of them easily have a mil or two sitting in the bank.

Assuming this is their 2nd property, for a $3m semi-d, the amount of cash used to be $900K+$85K for stamp duty prior to the measures. Now, it has gone upto $1.28m.

From my experience, banks are also more willing to match asking prices and lend to these borrowers. Most bankers I speak to say they have less problem pushing through loans where collateral is landed and that these borrowers also don't take very high LTV quantums for their loans so bank are ever ready to fund them.

bullman
17-01-11, 09:08
Its not that strange.

Firstly, the pool of landed available for sale (don't count the leasehold or cluster type) is actually very small. When you narrow it down to an area you like, the number gets even less. Very often, I find myself having to jostle with other 'competitors'.

Secondly, most potential buyers who view landed tend to be really serious. Assuming this is their 2nd property, the sheer quantum of cash need for the downpayment separates them from the usual MM condo investors. Most of them easily have a mil or two sitting in the bank.

Assuming this is their 2nd property, for a $3m semi-d, the amount of cash used to be $900K+$85K for stamp duty prior to the measures. Now, it has gone upto $1.28m.

From my experience, banks are also more willing to match asking prices and lend to these borrowers. Most bankers I speak to say they have less problem pushing through loans where collateral is landed and that these borrowers also don't take very high LTV quantums for their loans so bank are ever ready to fund them.

I agree with you on the affordability and property financing part.

When I mentioned background checks, I refer to the URA, BCA and LTA checks on road reserve line, height restrictions, building restrictions and also any illegal A&A that was done etc. You normally need a week or so to get the complete picture of a landed unit but buyers are rushing in without doing these checks. I guess that they are super experienced landed players or just plain ignorant that buying landed is not the same as buying a condo unit.

proud owner
17-01-11, 09:24

When I mentioned background checks, I refer to the URA, BCA and LTA checks on road reserve line, height restrictions, building restrictions and also any illegal A&A that was done etc. You normally need a week or so to get the complete picture of a landed unit but buyers are rushing in without doing these checks. I guess that they are super experienced landed players or just plain ignorant that buying landed is not the same as buying a condo unit.

a lot of buyers dont do such checks .. only to find that their purchase has a portion of the land on reserved ... or that theirs is a non-designated landed ...and few years down the road their neighbours become a low rise condo

proper-t
17-01-11, 09:45

This is where the option comes into play. The option will normally have a clause whereby the purchase is subject to satisfactory replies from the legalrequisitions. This gives an escape clause to the buyer to rescind and get back his deposit. Its pretty standard in all the agent's options.

devilplate
17-01-11, 09:53
This is where the option comes into play. The option will normally have a clause whereby the purchase is subject to satisfactory replies from the legalrequisitions. This gives an escape clause to the buyer to rescind and get back his deposit. Its pretty standard in all the agent's options.

yes but can be a headache chasing back the 1%....anyw ppl so rich nowadays....:D

for me, landed really much tougher to 'buy' den condo....

proper-t , lor chuan area is very gd....psf wise really high now too...:doh:

bullman
17-01-11, 10:08

Sometimes the clause can be vague as well, in XYZ company's option, it states that you can only get back option if the development plan is rejected by URA. But an A&A extension plus attic or recon is not really a development. A rebuild can be argued as one.

proper-t
17-01-11, 10:19
yes but can be a headache chasing back the 1%....anyw ppl so rich nowadays....:D

for me, landed really much tougher to 'buy' den condo....proper-t , lor chuan area is very gd....psf wise really high now too...:doh:

I normally leave it to the lawyers. Just make sure you get one who is good and on-the-ball.

Yep, the problem with landed, like I said is the small pool. Its not like a condo. If you don't like a certain unit, you can just look around for other units in the same condo or surrounding apts. I know some buyers who have been waiting on the sidelines for years because there never seems to be an available house coming up for sale in the area they like. The minute one comes up, it is snapped up because a lot other buyers are always eyeing that vicinity too. A lot of agents also don't really advertise online but go thro' word of mouth. I usually do a drive around in the estate I like and look out for banners.

The other problem is valuation. Sometimes, the last txn done could be a few years back. Quite hard to place a current value on it.

The psf around lor chuan and s'goon gardens has spiked quite a fair bit. perhaps you could try around the soo chow/thomson area (cld be a good play if the Thomson line stations are announced soon) or the pemimpin area near bishan mrt. The other which is lesser known is the Mayflower area but you do have HDB flats in the vicinity as well.

bullman
17-01-11, 10:25
I normally leave it to the lawyers. Just make sure you get one who is good and on-the-ball.

Yep, the problem with landed, like I said is the small pool. Its not like a condo. If you don't like a certain unit, you can just look around for other units in the same condo or surrounding apts. I know some buyers who have been waiting on the sidelines for years because there never seems to be an available house coming up for sale in the area they like. The minute one comes up, it is snapped up because a lot other buyers are always eyeing that vicinity too. A lot of agents also don't really advertise online but go thro' word of mouth. I usually do a drive around in the estate I like and look out for banners.

The other problem is valuation. Sometimes, the last txn done could be a few years back. Quite hard to place a current value on it.

The psf around lor chuan and s'goon gardens has spiked quite a fair bit. perhaps you could try around the soo chow/thomson area (cld be a good play if the Thomson line stations are announced soon) or the pemimpin area near bishan mrt. The other which is lesser known is the Mayflower area but you do have HDB flats in the vicinity as well.

There is an old single storey inter terrace at casuarina road going 1.2 mil. Land 1600 sqft. Good buy?

devilplate
17-01-11, 10:28
There is an old single storey inter terrace at casuarina road going 1.2 mil. Land 1600 sqft. Good buy?

does the james cook add value there?

proper-t
17-01-11, 10:35
Sometimes the clause can be vague as well, in XYZ company's option, it states that you can only get back option if the development plan is rejected by URA. But an A&A extension plus attic or recon is not really a development. A rebuild can be argued as one.

My options tends to be quite comprehensive (see clause d) :

http://www.myalbum.com/GroteFoto-NGDCWMUH.jpg

bullman
17-01-11, 10:41
My options tends to be quite comprehensive (see clause d) :

http://www.myalbum.com/GroteFoto-NGDCWMUH.jpg

Yes. In your case, item d in the clause is sufficient enough to withdraw the 1% option. Not all agency's OTP has that though, just my observation.

proper-t
17-01-11, 10:41
Originally Posted by bullman

does the james cook add value there?

haha...Only if you like roti prata.:D Jokes aside, personally I find the lane a bit narrow and congested but there could be potential if the govt intends to do up the surrounding tagore areas and the thomson mrt line sprouts up ard there.

bullman
17-01-11, 10:44
haha...Only if you like roti prata.:D Jokes aside, personally I find the lane a bit narrow and congested but there could be potential if the govt intends to do up the surrounding areas and the thomson mrt line sprouts up ard there.

The units there look sunken into the ground. So I guess its possible to build a basement, and yes, the road look really narrow. Not possible to park cars on both sides of the road and most of the units look as if they have no car porch.

proper-t
17-01-11, 11:59
The units there look sunken into the ground. So I guess its possible to build a basement, and yes, the road look really narrow. Not possible to park cars on both sides of the road and most of the units look as if they have no car porch.

Try to avoid units which are facing the row of shophouses. Maybe much farther down the road, next lane or another viable option is the Sembawang hills or Teacher's estate on the opposite side of the main road. [Devilplate- the James cook uni comes into play]. You should visit there on weekend mornings. Quite busy with many pple hitting the prata stores or on their way to the reservoir.

bargain_hunter
26-01-11, 23:10
its very difficult to buy landed housing. i know for after looking for 1.5years.
i have too many conditions to fulfill before even attempting to offer for one.
much easier to buy a condo.
after looking at no less than 50 landed properties throughout the 1.5years, finally decided to buy it. guess what, 3 days later the latest cooling measures came out. almost gave up my 1% option... but in the end i still ...

land118
26-01-11, 23:31
its very difficult to buy landed housing. i know for after looking for 1.5years.
after looking at no less than 50 landed properties throughout the 1.5years, finally decided to buy it. guess what, 3 days later the latest cooling measures came out. almost gave up my 1% option... but in the end i still ... Look like u bought to stay or with the intention to stay in the future, so if after such painstaking efforts, able to convince yourself to commit, should be worth buying. Landed is limited and eventually, will apprecite over time, esp if it is FH or 999LH. No worries.

bargain_hunter
26-01-11, 23:37
yup waited too long...
bidded for another 3 properties and lost out on all of them. people jus out bid/offer me all the time.
perhaps they all have the same nutty criteria that i have. its such a pain... will continue to monitor e market for the next 2 years.planning to buy another inter terrace soon for investment.
btw a surprise discovery when i went house hunting last month, there were foreigners viewing as well.

land118
26-01-11, 23:45
yup waited too long...
bidded for another 3 properties and lost out on all of them. people jus out bid/offer me all the time.
perhaps they all have the same nutty criteria that i have. its such a pain... will continue to monitor e market for the next 2 years.planning to buy another inter terrace soon for investment.
btw a surprise discovery when i went house hunting last month, there were foreigners viewing as well. ya, foreigners have joined the pool, likely PR (some with local spouse & family) that is confident of obtaining approval; most not as patient, don't mind up their offer by 5figures/6figures just to get what they like...

bullman
27-01-11, 08:08
yup waited too long...
btw a surprise discovery when i went house hunting last month, there were foreigners viewing as well.

Since you have waited for so long, you should continue to wait. This is said not out of malice but the landed price has been soaring lately, with sellers asking ridiculous record breaking price. Even if you were to secure a good deal now, its still very high if you look at the past 10 years' record.

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 08:58
yup i agree with u.
but due to the stringent requirements that i have, its very hard to find something i want and willing to pay for.
for the past 1.5 years after viewing >40 properties probably only about 4-5 of them have met my requirements and others always out bid me with a higher price. anyway still have e budget to buy something smaller should e market turn.
btw which districts do you people normally look for landed purchases?
I'm trying to be more open to other districts nowadays.

bullman
27-01-11, 09:04
yup i agree with u.
but due to the stringent requirements that i have, its very hard to find something i want and willing to pay for.
for the past 1.5 years after viewing >40 properties probably only about 4-5 of them have met my requirements and others always out bid me with a higher price. anyway still have e budget to buy something smaller should e market turn.
btw which districts do you people normally look for landed purchases?
I'm trying to be more open to other districts nowadays.

Just being curious, what are examples of your strict criterions?

For landed play, I focus on D9 and D15 where I am most familiar.

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 09:43
1) d10, d15
2) no west sun (prefer no west sun from all sides of cos not talking about detached)
3) no main road
4) quiet
5) no unit numbers with a "4"
6) no weird neighbors
7) no odd shape land (square/rectangular)
8) decent condition hse
9) no sunken land (slightly elevated e best)
10) cul de sac the best
11) no religious establishments nearby
12) near some amenities

teddybear
27-01-11, 09:57
If a person set strict criteria for buying a condo, it is also very difficult as many of the condo estates nowsadays are designed and built not for practical and enjoyable living, but to maximize the profit and GFA of developers. My grosses:
- Flushed facade full panel glass windows : cannot open window to sleep because raining only whole parquet beside windows all wet. (do this many times and parquet sure eroded and time to change).
- Lots of useless planter areas
- Balcony the size of a bedroom for a 3 bedders! Wow! How to have sufficient space in the other more important living areas?
- New trend now is super big air-con ledge!
- West sun.
- Stupid "private" lift that is not "private" at all in the first place since you still share the lift with others! You have access to 1 lift only and always have to wait long long if another person is using. Worse still, when the lift is down due to age / servicing / maintenance etc! :doh: (Might as well have 2-3 common lifts shared between 4-6 units per floor better!).
- The other extreme is 2-3 common lifts serving 8-10 units per floor (units to lift ratio too high) or worse 6-8 common lifts serving 12-20 units per floor (too many lifts, always turning around trying to figure which lift will come first and rushing for the correct lift).
- (...more???...)

after looking at no less than 50 landed properties throughout the 1.5years, finally decided to buy it. guess what, 3 days later the latest cooling measures came out. almost gave up my 1% option... but in the end i still ...

bullman
27-01-11, 10:02
1) d10, d15
2) no west sun (prefer no west sun from all sides of cos not talking about detached)
3) no main road
4) quiet
6) no weird neighbors
8) decent condition hse
10) cul de sac the best
12) near some amenities

For me, I subscribe to Items 1 to 7. Item 8 can be remedied with A&A and 9 with a rebuild by raising the foundation.

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 10:13
For me, I subscribe to Items 1 to 7. Item 8 can be remedied with A&A and 9 with a rebuild by raising the foundation.

glad we share most investment aspects of landed property. but i was not prepared for a rebuild and did not want to pay above 1000psf for a landed property. as u can see despite the e fact that sg have > 60000 landed properties, after filtering out those that does not meet my criteria and for e price to be "reasonable" in e 1st place, there is not many to choose. im looking at d20 next for my next purchase. any thoughts on that?

teddybear
27-01-11, 10:39
You just committed the purchase? (after so long). Congratulations! :cheers4:

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 10:52
You just committed the purchase? (after so long). Congratulations! :cheers4:

haha. thanks teddy!
the feelings weird, i don't really want the market to fall but i also don't want it to rise cos i'm planning to buy another soon.
should be getting another by the end of the year.
depends on my financing.
any place to recommend?

teddybear
27-01-11, 11:46
Sorry can't really recommend for landed. I am more a condo dweller and would not go for landed (definitely not in Singapore). :cheers1:

haha. thanks teddy!
the feelings weird, i don't really want the market to fall but i also don't want it to rise cos i'm planning to buy another soon.
should be getting another by the end of the year.
depends on my financing.
any place to recommend?

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 14:19
Sorry can't really recommend for landed. I am more a condo dweller and would not go for landed (definitely not in Singapore). :cheers1:
no prob... landed properties are not for everyone. its really a long term investment.

land118
27-01-11, 14:29
Item 6 will be tough to be sure unless u know the area very well or some1 living near the house u intend to buy. Even if you stay there, after a few years, new weird neighbours come in next door, also LL.

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 15:13
Item 6 will be tough to be sure unless u know the area very well or some1 living near the house u intend to buy. Even if you stay there, after a few years, new weird neighbours come in next door, also LL.
ya. actually for me e most impt ones are items 1,2,3,4,7,8&9
one thing that puzzles me is why people buy landed houses facing e main road or near e expressway. its extremely difficult to sell. in fact i know of people buying landed houses at swiss view. e back of the hse is probably just 30m away from PIE. one of e unit there selling for under 900psf

land118
27-01-11, 16:00
ya. actually for me e most impt ones are items 1,2,3,4,7,8&9
one thing that puzzles me is why people buy landed houses facing e main road or near e expressway. its extremely difficult to sell. in fact i know of people buying landed houses at swiss view. e back of the hse is probably just 30m away from PIE. one of e unit there selling for under 900psf Maybe they run out of patience, after viewing so many house, kena outbid all the time, "hack la, just buy"...

bargain hunter
27-01-11, 19:19
hi old friends: teddy, devil, proud, land118, bullman and all the other old regulars. the bargain_hunter you are talking to is not me. he's a new member so hope you guys are not too confused wondering who is who. not sure how it can be corrected but my nick bargain hunter will appear the same as his nick bargain_hunter because a line is drawn below all nicks. :ashamed1: looks like gotta trouble you guys to look at the join date and the no. of posts to differentiate. :)

teddybear
27-01-11, 19:27
Ops didn't realize this until you mention it. Ok, will take note.
So you are still waiting? :cheers1:

hi old friends: teddy, devil, proud, land118, bullman and all the other old regulars. the bargain_hunter you are talking to is not me. he's a new member so hope you guys are not too confused wondering who is who. not sure how it can be corrected but my nick bargain hunter will appear the same as his nick bargain_hunter because a line is drawn below all nicks. :ashamed1: looks like gotta trouble you guys to look at the join date and the no. of posts to differentiate. :)

bargain hunter
27-01-11, 19:31
judging from your response "after so long", i knew you had mistaken him for me liao. :) ya, for landed i will still wait. my current housing needs are met and my investments are doing alright so no point locking up cash in a landed until i wish to stay in one. ;)

Ops didn't realize this until you mention it. Ok, will take note.
So you are still waiting? :cheers1:

land118
27-01-11, 20:44
hi old friends: teddy, devil, proud, land118, bullman and all the other old regulars. the bargain_hunter you are talking to is not me. he's a new member so hope you guys are not too confused wondering who is who. not sure how it can be corrected but my nick bargain hunter will appear the same as his nick bargain_hunter because a line is drawn below all nicks. :ashamed1: looks like gotta trouble you guys to look at the join date and the no. of posts to differentiate. :) Oops, ya, din notice. Thx for the clarification.

amk
27-01-11, 20:53
Alamak for a second i thought u did a CCR landed in D10 ;) then can ask u why u long CCR now ;)
Almost wanted to add on that list of conditions....;)
In any case , prime landed had jumped a lot. I watched some houses transacted from 3-4mil to 5-6mil and now asking 6-7mil :scared-5:

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 21:54
judging from your response "after so long", i knew you had mistaken him for me liao. :) ya, for landed i will still wait. my current housing needs are met and my investments are doing alright so no point locking up cash in a landed until i wish to stay in one. ;)

Pls dont mistaken me for the original bargain hunter.
I have an "_"
:)
Just started posting yesterday despite being a member for 2 years.

bargain hunter
27-01-11, 21:58
i do agree with our new friend bargain_hunter for his stringent criteria though. :) bro amk, feel free to add to the list of conditions. this forum is for open discussion mah. :D

Alamak for a second i thought u did a CCR landed in D10 ;) then can ask u why u long CCR now ;)
Almost wanted to add on that list of conditions....;)
In any case , prime landed had jumped a lot. I watched some houses transacted from 3-4mil to 5-6mil and now asking 6-7mil :scared-5:

land118
27-01-11, 22:04
I have an "_"

Is single/double storey a criteria? U have min build in area? Or min. Number of rooms? Also number of toilets or ensuites?

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 22:48
Is single/double storey a criteria? U have min build in area? Or min. Number of rooms? Also number of toilets or ensuites?

That depends really. I'm more focus on the potential of than land than the house most of the time. If the house is run down, it doesn't matter whether its a single or double storey. But of cos if the house is in decent condition, the more storeys the better.

I do love the single storey detached houses at siglap ave / frankel areas.
But liking them is one thing, i can't really afford them or rather not willing to part with so much $$$ for just 1 property. Else when the market turns south, i wont have the $$$ to pick up bargains. :)

My new place which i will be moving in after the tenancy has expired has a huge built up (3.5 storeys) in which most of it will probably not be used.
7 rooms / 6 bath rooms. 4 rooms with attached bath rooms.

I'm still pretty bearish property despite buying a property this month. (My family just liked the place too much.)
But i have to say i'm more bearish condo than landed properties having lived in landed/clustered all my life. There is just too little of them left for so many people who want them.

i personally feel when one buys a landed property, the price that one pays is essentially 80% for the land. Having a decent house built on that piece of land you paid for should just account for 20% of the buy price.
i'm not the type that will buy a $2m run down house and then rebuild it for $1m. I don't exactly see much value in that

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 22:55
i do agree with our new friend bargain_hunter for his stringent criteria though. :) bro amk, feel free to add to the list of conditions. this forum is for open discussion mah. :D

Thanks friend.
Is there anyway i can change my nick so that people don't mistaken the both of us?

The underscore doesn't seem so obvious. Didn't think i would be posting despite viewing this forum for almost 2 years. But i was actually browsing on the condo forums rather than this landed forum. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

land118
27-01-11, 23:00
My new place which i will be moving in after the tenancy has expired has a huge built up (3.5 storeys) in which most of it will probably not be used.
7 rooms / 6 bath rooms. 4 rooms with ... that
Sounds like the property u bought is less than 10 yes old, quite big build-in, probably 3k+ sqft...

bargain hunter
27-01-11, 23:09
no problem. :) dun think can change nick. but since u have posted little, simply register a new nick and tell us that this new nick used to be bargain_hunter can already. :D

Thanks friend.
Is there anyway i can change my nick so that people don't mistaken the both of us?

The underscore doesn't seem so obvious. Didn't think i would be posting despite viewing this forum for almost 2 years. But i was actually browsing on the condo forums rather than this landed forum. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 23:18
no problem. :) dun think can change nick. but since u have posted little, simply register a new nick and tell us that this new nick used to be bargain_hunter can already. :D

Just tried to do that. But i'm getting a "registration is disabled by the administrator" message. Will try again tomorrow.

bargain_hunter
27-01-11, 23:20
Sounds like the property u bought is less than 10 yes old, quite big build-in, probably 3k+ sqft...

It's 13 years old in fact. Think sold during the last property boom before the Asian financial crisis.
Built-in is about 5500sqf
It probably meets about 75% of my requirements. :)

bargain hunter
28-01-11, 00:14
btw, which district did u buy for this first ppty? 10 or 15 or some other?

It's 13 years old in fact. Think sold during the last property boom before the Asian financial crisis.

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 00:28
btw, which district did u buy for this first ppty? 10 or 15 or some other?

Its at D15. No longer can afford or willing to pay the crazy prices at D10.

land118
28-01-11, 06:07
How abt criteria like inside need to park min. 2 cars and frontage wide enough so that can park another 2 cars outside ( easy for visitors) ?

bullman
28-01-11, 07:32
How abt criteria like inside need to park min. 2 cars and frontage wide enough so that can park another 2 cars outside ( easy for visitors) ?

With that land size, I think he bought a corner terrace. Its hard to find any corner terrace that can park 2 cars alongside outside as the frontage is at most 8m, unless its a cul-de-sac. Parking 2 cars inside is already the max. That is unless he has a very long driveway which is characteristic of some lorongs at Telok Kurau.

bullman
28-01-11, 07:36
Its at D15. No longer can afford or willing to pay the crazy prices at D10.

Check out the more crazy prices at D9, some places have shot up to beyond 2- 3k psf for land. I see my neighbours cashing in and slowly being replaced by the new richies and their noisy sports cars.

proud owner
28-01-11, 07:37
I have an "_"

wow this is really confusing ... the '_' is masked by the underline ... so really cannot tell bargain hunter from bargain_hunter

is it possible to change from bargain_hunter to bargain-hunter ?

at least the '-' wont disappear on the underline like '_' ?

just a suggestion

bargain hunter
28-01-11, 07:50
hee. our new friend is trying to register a new nick but encountered some problems last night.

wow this is really confusing ... the '_' is masked by the underline ... so really cannot tell bargain hunter from bargain_hunter

just a suggestion

proud owner
28-01-11, 10:03
hee. our new friend is trying to register a new nick but encountered some problems last night.

was i the first to discover that there were 2 bargain hunters ?? hehehe

bargain hunter
28-01-11, 11:26
actually no. u thought i was him too! :D but after u PM me to ask me about my landed purchase and i checked it out after wondering what is going on :beats-me-man: then i discovered there were 2 hahaha.

was i the first to discover that there were 2 bargain hunters ?? hehehe

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 12:24

just a suggestion

Tried to change but unable.
Tried to create a new account but unable as well as the administrator for this forum has disabled registration :(

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 12:26
With that land size, I think he bought a corner terrace. Its hard to find any corner terrace that can park 2 cars alongside outside as the frontage is at most 8m, unless its a cul-de-sac. Parking 2 cars inside is already the max. That is unless he has a very long driveway which is characteristic of some lorongs at Telok Kurau.

My new place, the drive way can park 2 cars. It has a decent length. But i think would be a hassle to park 2 cars bumper to bumper. So probably park one outside. Thats one of the negative points.

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 12:27
Check out the more crazy prices at D9, some places have shot up to beyond 2- 3k psf for land. I see my neighbours cashing in and slowly being replaced by the new richies and their noisy sports cars.

Hardly any landed houses in D9 left nowadays.
If i'm a owner i probably wont sell it unless really can get around 2500psf land.

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 12:30

The road outside is not narrow. Cars can be parked outside at both sides. But most of the people there have got 2 or more cars so although there is space, demand for parking is also kinda high.

proud owner
28-01-11, 12:43
The road outside is not narrow. Cars can be parked outside at both sides. But most of the people there have got 2 or more cars so although there is space, demand for parking is also kinda high.

sorry i havent been following on this .....

its in D15 ? ...may i know what land size and what psf ?

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 12:44
1) d10, d15
3) no main road
4) quiet
6) no weird neighbors
8) decent condition hse
10) cul de sac the best
12) near some amenities

-> See condition No.5
From businesstimes today:

"The number four is commonly known as an unlucky number among the Chinese. The price discount could also be explained by the fact that home buyers avoid staying on an unlucky floor as they are worried that it may harm the future resale price of the unit.

There is only weak empirical confirmation of the hypothesis though, that selling a unit on the eighth floor yields a hefty extra premium in a subsale. If you are not superstitious and plan to sell in a subsale, don't pay a fee for the eighth floor when you visit a launch event."

Source : http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/views/story/0,4574,423838,00.html?

No offence to owners staying in 1. Just a personal preference of mine. :)

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 12:47
sorry i havent been following on this .....

its in D15 ? ...may i know what land size and what psf ?

4500+/5500

psf below 900

13 years old

no west sun at any side

very slightly elevated (maybe around 5-10 degrees)

proud owner
28-01-11, 12:54
4500+/5500

psf below 900

13 years old

no west sun at any side

cool

thanks

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 13:01
went to a property seminar by Propnex last week.
They are bearish on mass market condos.
Still somewhat bullish on high end condos
Very bullish on landed.
However i personally feel landed its kinda high already.
Buy only when one can afford the mortgage.
Especially if interest rates go up.
I mean it can only go up from where it is now isn't it?

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 13:03

I tried registering again just now.
Still getting the same error.
Have added something to my profile which hopefully will minimize the confusion.

bargain hunter
28-01-11, 13:21
haha. thanks. if u got a nice picture, can put it on as your avatar too or something. :D

I tried registering again just now.
Still getting the same error.
Have added something to my profile which hopefully will minimize the confusion.

land118
28-01-11, 17:20
-> See condition No.5
From businesstimes today:

"The number four is commonly known as an unlucky number among the Chinese. The price discount could also be explained by the fact that home buyers avoid staying on an unlucky floor as they are worried that it may harm the future resale price of the unit.

There is only weak empirical confirmation of the hypothesis though, that selling a unit on the eighth floor yields a hefty extra premium in a subsale. If you are not superstitious and plan to sell in a subsale, don't pay a fee for the eighth floor when you visit a launch event."

Source : http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/views/story/0,4574,423838,00.html?

No offence to owners staying in 1. Just a personal preference of mine. :) What is the premiun to pay for nice number like "8", or what is the discount for a number like "4"? Probably some estimates..., or any1 close any deal with such nos before. I know in hot times, even house number ending with 4, also no discount, can even sell. Some agent told me that maybe smaller target buyers, but mostly no discount.

bullman
28-01-11, 19:57
4500+/5500

psf below 900

13 years old

no west sun at any side

That's a good buy in today's market, considering the amount of built in area. The slightly lower psf reflects the large land size. Sounds like a semi D? I think I know where u bought as I was also looking at that. Lol. But i will not reveal in an open forum.

I am mid to long term bullish on landed. Expect price to rise steadily to 1500 psf for D15 land and 3000 psf for D9. At some stage, location of land will become critical with some far exceeding others. I am currently in nego for 2 more. There may be a dip but not much, maybe 5%. ? Absurd it may sound, I don't expect landed prices to drop even when mass, mid and high end condo drops, just hold firm or dip.

Just my crazy thoughts

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 21:41
What is the premiun to pay for nice number like "8", or what is the discount for a number like "4"? Probably some estimates..., or any1 close any deal with such nos before. I know in hot times, even house number ending with 4, also no discount, can even sell. Some agent told me that maybe smaller target buyers, but mostly no discount.

I've heard usually 10% or more. and its much easier to sell.
Once there was an ad on property guru for a haig road semi d going for 800+psf just 2 months back.
Sms the agent and the agent replied me that the hse number was 4.
I told him no "4" for me. He replied ya he knows, cos if its the number "8" it would be sold last night already.
Just my 2 cents worth. :)

bargain_hunter
28-01-11, 21:49
That's a good buy in today's market, considering the amount of built in area. The slightly lower psf reflects the large land size. Sounds like a semi D? I think I know where u bought as I was also looking at that. Lol. But i will not reveal in an open forum.

I am mid to long term bullish on landed. Expect price to rise steadily to 1500 psf for D15 land and 3000 psf for D9. At some stage, location of land will become critical with some far exceeding others. I am currently in nego for 2 more. There may be a dip but not much, maybe 5%. ? Absurd it may sound, I don't expect landed prices to drop even when mass, mid and high end condo drops, just hold firm or dip.

Just my crazy thoughts

I thought it was a semi d when i first viewed it. But it turned out to be a corner terrace after the agent told me.

The developer wanted to buy and rebuild the 2 semi ds but the owner of the 2nd semi d refused to sell it back then. So the developer got no choice but to tear the huge semi d down and build an inter-terrace and a corner terrace.

Hence people always mistook the hse as a semi d cos the design is the same as the inter-terrace beside it. The remaining old rundown semi d still remains till today.

Well i guess i can't have it all my way

I hope to gather enough funds to buy out both the inter-terrace and the semi d so that i can redevelop the 3 plots of land in the future. The next property crash perhaps? :D

moneyspinner
29-01-11, 13:18
I've heard usually 10% or more. and its much easier to sell.
Once there was an ad on property guru for a haig road semi d going for 800+psf just 2 months back.
Sms the agent and the agent replied me that the hse number was 4.
I told him no "4" for me. He replied ya he knows, cos if its the number "8" it would be sold last night already.
Just my 2 cents worth. :)

I think its ok if the no.: 4 is followed by a 3 or 8. Comments?

kingkong1984
29-01-11, 14:14
44... 喜喜

bargain_hunter
30-01-11, 11:57

Maybe better if it is 48 or 84.

Regulators
30-01-11, 13:25
48 sounds like butt in canto. In hainanese, 8 means to fxxk, a dirty word
Maybe better if it is 48 or 84.

Regulators
30-01-11, 13:29
84 in hainanese sounds like to have *** to the death, not kidding you.

bargain_hunter
30-01-11, 13:58
84 in hainanese sounds like to have *** to the death, not kidding you.

haha thanks for e advice.
im hainanese as well but cant speak e dialect.
but generally "8" is perceived as a very lucky number by e majority of chinese people.

Regulators
30-01-11, 19:25
We are same dialect group, but I can speak hainanese
haha thanks for e advice.
im hainanese as well but cant speak e dialect.
but generally "8" is perceived as a very lucky number by e majority of chinese people.

land118
31-01-11, 08:28
1) d10, d15
3) no main road
4) quiet
6) no weird neighbors
8) decent condition hse
10) cul de sac the best
12) near some amenities
With some much rain, ITEM 9 is important, no need to worry if have flood. Wonder if any low lying landed affected by the rain over the last few days...

sleek
31-01-11, 08:33
With some much rain, ITEM 9 is important, no need to worry if have flood. Wonder if any low lying landed affected by the rain over the last few days...

(http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1107854/1/.html)Flash floods in several areas
Posted: 30 January 2011 1827 hrs (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1107854/1/.html)

SINGAPORE: The PUB said flash floods had occurred in several areas on Sunday, amid continued widespread moderate to heavy rain.

These areas included Airport Boulevard, Changi Village, the slip road near Tampines Avenue 12, the TPE slip road near the Punggol exit, and Ang Mo Kio Ave 5, leading to Buangkok Green industrial Park.

The Singapore's Meteorological Services Division said the rain was expected to continue till midnight.

PUB said earlier that flash floods may occur in low-lying areas in the event of heavy rain.

-CNA/ac/wk

land118
31-01-11, 08:45
Interesting and Important List to know:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/pdf/20100722/nea2.pdf

Annex B
Flood Prone areas in Singapore (As at July 2010):

1. Admiralty Road West near Sembawang Shipyard
2. Alexandra Road/ Jervois Road/ Bishopsgate Road
3. Amber Road/ East Coast Road
4. Beach Road (Central Police Division’s Staff Quarters and St John’s Headquarters)
5. Bedok South Road
6. Benoi Sector
7. Bukit Timah Rd/Wilby Road
8. Cantonment Link/ Keppel Road
9. Chin Cheng Ave
10. Clover Park Estate (near the playground)
11. Commonwealth Ave/ Commonwealth Drive/ Queensway
12. CTE near Slip Road to Moulmein Road
13. Delta Road/ River Valley Road/ Delta Avenue
14. Farnborough Road
15. Farrer Park Area (includes Thomson Road/ Derbyshire Road)
16. First Lok Yang Road / International Road/ Benoi Road
17. Frankel Avenue/ Siglap Plain/ La Salle Street
18. Hong Kah Area
19. Indus Road
20. Jalan Besar Area
21. Jalan Haji Alias/ Coronation Road West
22. Jalan Mashor
23. Jalan Mat Jambol
24. Jalan Seaview
25. Jalan Ulu Seletar
26. Jurong Port Road
27. Kim Tian Road/ Tiong Bahru Road
28. King George’s Avenue (People’s Association HQ)
29. Langsat Road Area
30. Leng Kee Road
31 Lorong Buangkok
32. Lorong Chuan (St Gabriel's Primary School)
33. Lorong H Telok Kurau
34. Lower Delta Road/ Alexandra Road
35. Lowland Road
36. Margaret Drive/ Tanglin Road
37. Meng Suan Road
38. Mountbatten Road/ Meyer Road/ Fort Road/ Arthur Road/ Margate Road/ Ramsgate
Road/ Rose Lane/ Dunman Road Area
39. Nee Soon Road
40. Neo Pee Teck Lane
41. Newton Road/ Lincoln Road/ Surrey Road
42. Old Lim Chu Kang Road/Jalan Murai
43. Puay Hee Avenue
44. Second Chin Bee Road
45. Service Road off Tampines Road (near Jalan Teliti)
46. Stevens Road/ Balmoral Road
47. Umar Pulavar Tamil Language Centre off Beatty Road
48. Upper East Coast Road/ Bayshore Road
49. Upper Hokkien Street/ Upper Pickering Street/ South Bridge Road/ Spring Street/
Sago Lane
50. Upper Thomson Road / Jln Keli
51. Viking Road
52. Waterloo Street/ Albert Street/ Bencoolen Street/ Prinsep Street

Annex C
Areas Affected by Recent Floods and Projects to Alleviate Flooding
S/no Location Project to alleviate flooding

1 Jalan Besar / Little India Area

Veerasamy Road
Hindoo Road
Rowell Road, Desker Road, Sam
Leong Road
Syed Alwi Road, Kitchener Road,
Verdun Road, Kg Kapor
Two on-going projects to improve the
drainage system :-
Improvement to Kelantan Road Outlet
Drain. Work is expected to start in end
Improvement to Drains at Syed Alwi
Road Area. Tender is expected to be
called by end 2010.

2 Bedok/ Telok Kurau

a) Bedok Garden The road is low-lying and will be raised.
b) Bedok Lane The road is low-lying and will be raised.
c) Lorong G Telok Kurau The road is low-lying and will be raised.

3 Bukit Timah Area

Bukit Timah Road (between Wilby
Road and Maple Avenue)
Dunearn Road (near Swiss Club Link)
Tender for the Bukit Timah Canal
upstream of the 1st Diversion Canal to
be called in Jul 2010.
Tender for the Improvement to Bukit
Timah 1st Diversion Canal from Maple
Ave to Sungei Ulu Pandan is expected
to be called in 2011.
Balmoral Road (near junction with
Bukit Timah Road)
The stretch of road affected is a
localised depression. The road will to be
raised.

4 Farrer Park / Newton /Kg Java
/Novena areas

Newton Circus near Keng Lee Road
Cambridge Road / Dorset Road /
Hertford Road
Tender for the Improvement to Rochor
Canal (between Jalan Besar and
Crawford St) is expected to be called in
Oct/ Nov 2010.
Improvement to Rochor Canal
(between Kg Java Rd and Jalan Besar)
by LTA under NSE project. Work is in
progress.
Improvement to drains along Thomson
Road (from Moulmein Road to Bt
Timah Canal) and Norfolk Road under
the programme for Improvement to Old
Roadside Drains.

5 Jalan Haji Alias area

Jalan Haji Alias / Coronation Road
West junction
Coronation Road West near house no.
There is an on-going project to widen
and deepen the upstream stretch of Jalan
Haji Alias Outlet Drain (Sixth Ave to
Coronation Road West). Works
expected to complete in Feb 2011.

6 Paya Lebar / MacPherson Areas

a) Jalan Gembira/Kg Ampat
/MacPherson Road
Tender for the Improvement to Happy
Ave Outlet Drain is expected to be
called by end 2010.
b) Siang Kuang Avenue Improvement to MacPherson Road
Outlet Drain is in progress.
c) AZ Building / Cisco Building Tenders to upgrade the downstream
stretch of Geylang River (from Dunman
Road to Guillemard Road) have closed
in Jun 2010. Work is expected to
commence by Oct 2010.

7 Jurong Area

Enterprise Road Proposed drain upgrading in progress.
Work is expected to be completed in
end 2010.

proud owner
31-01-11, 08:52
Interesting and Important List to know:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/pdf/20100722/nea2.pdf

Annex B
Flood Prone areas in Singapore (As at July 2010):

1. Admiralty Road West near Sembawang Shipyard

2. Alexandra Road/ Jervois Road/ Bishopsgate Road
3. Amber Road/ East Coast Road
4. Beach Road (Central Police Division’s Staff Quarters and St John’s Headquarters)
5. Bedok South Road
6. Benoi Sector
7. Bukit Timah Rd/Wilby Road
8. Cantonment Link/ Keppel Road
9. Chin Cheng Ave
10. Clover Park Estate (near the playground)
11. Commonwealth Ave/ Commonwealth Drive/ Queensway
12. CTE near Slip Road to Moulmein Road
13. Delta Road/ River Valley Road/ Delta Avenue
14. Farnborough Road
15. Farrer Park Area (includes Thomson Road/ Derbyshire Road)
16. First Lok Yang Road / International Road/ Benoi Road
17. Frankel Avenue/ Siglap Plain/ La Salle Street
18. Hong Kah Area
19. Indus Road
20. Jalan Besar Area
21. Jalan Haji Alias/ Coronation Road West
22. Jalan Mashor
23. Jalan Mat Jambol
24. Jalan Seaview
25. Jalan Ulu Seletar
26. Jurong Port Road
27. Kim Tian Road/ Tiong Bahru Road
28. King George’s Avenue (People’s Association HQ)
29. Langsat Road Area
30. Leng Kee Road
31 Lorong Buangkok
32. Lorong Chuan (St Gabriel's Primary School)
33. Lorong H Telok Kurau
34. Lower Delta Road/ Alexandra Road
35. Lowland Road
36. Margaret Drive/ Tanglin Road
37. Meng Suan Road
38. Mountbatten Road/ Meyer Road/ Fort Road/ Arthur Road/ Margate Road/ Ramsgate
Road/ Rose Lane/ Dunman Road Area
39. Nee Soon Road
40. Neo Pee Teck Lane
41. Newton Road/ Lincoln Road/ Surrey Road
42. Old Lim Chu Kang Road/Jalan Murai
43. Puay Hee Avenue
44. Second Chin Bee Road
45. Service Road off Tampines Road (near Jalan Teliti)
46. Stevens Road/ Balmoral Road
47. Umar Pulavar Tamil Language Centre off Beatty Road
48. Upper East Coast Road/ Bayshore Road
49. Upper Hokkien Street/ Upper Pickering Street/ South Bridge Road/ Spring Street/
Sago Lane
50. Upper Thomson Road / Jln Keli
51. Viking Road
52. Waterloo Street/ Albert Street/ Bencoolen Street/ Prinsep Street

Annex C

Areas Affected by Recent Floods and Projects to Alleviate Flooding

S/no Location Project to alleviate flooding

Jalan Besar / Little India Area

Veerasamy Road

Hindoo Road
Rowell Road, Desker Road, Sam
Leong Road
Syed Alwi Road, Kitchener Road,
Verdun Road, Kg Kapor
Two on-going projects to improve the
drainage system :-
Improvement to Kelantan Road Outlet
Drain. Work is expected to start in end
Improvement to Drains at Syed Alwi
Road Area. Tender is expected to be
called by end 2010.

Bedok/ Telok Kurau

a) Bedok Garden The road is low-lying and will be raised.

b) Bedok Lane The road is low-lying and will be raised.
c) Lorong G Telok Kurau The road is low-lying and will be raised.

Bukit Timah Area

Bukit Timah Road (between Wilby

Road and Maple Avenue)
Dunearn Road (near Swiss Club Link)
Tender for the Bukit Timah Canal
upstream of the 1

st Diversion Canal to

be called in Jul 2010.

Tender for the Improvement to Bukit
Timah 1

st Diversion Canal from Maple

Ave to Sungei Ulu Pandan is expected

to be called in 2011.
Balmoral Road (near junction with
Bukit Timah Road)
The stretch of road affected is a
localised depression. The road will to be
raised.

Farrer Park / Newton /Kg Java

/Novena areas

Newton Circus near Keng Lee Road

Cambridge Road / Dorset Road /
Hertford Road
Tender for the Improvement to Rochor
Canal (between Jalan Besar and
Crawford St) is expected to be called in
Oct/ Nov 2010.
Improvement to Rochor Canal
(between Kg Java Rd and Jalan Besar)
by LTA under NSE project. Work is in
progress.
Improvement to drains along Thomson
Road (from Moulmein Road to Bt
Timah Canal) and Norfolk Road under
the programme for Improvement to Old
Roadside Drains.

Jalan Haji Alias area

Jalan Haji Alias / Coronation Road

West junction
Coronation Road West near house no.
There is an on-going project to widen
and deepen the upstream stretch of Jalan
Haji Alias Outlet Drain (Sixth Ave to
Coronation Road West). Works
expected to complete in Feb 2011.

Paya Lebar / MacPherson Areas

a) Jalan Gembira/Kg Ampat

/MacPherson Road
Tender for the Improvement to Happy
Ave Outlet Drain is expected to be
called by end 2010.
b) Siang Kuang Avenue Improvement to MacPherson Road
Outlet Drain is in progress.
c) AZ Building / Cisco Building Tenders to upgrade the downstream
stretch of Geylang River (from Dunman
Road to Guillemard Road) have closed
in Jun 2010. Work is expected to
commence by Oct 2010.

Jurong Area

Enterprise Road Proposed drain upgrading in progress.

Work is expected to be completed in
end 2010.

wow almost everywhere ..... ?

including many popular disctricts ....

land118
31-01-11, 08:55
Should look @Annex B list. Annex C list, guess PUB already addressing with improvement works. Think Annex B list is really low lying that is prone of have records in the past. But in Annex B list, each lane, am sure not the whole road or area, there will be lower lying spots ....within..

land118
31-01-11, 09:03
Wonder how houses in areas that were flooded in 2010 are doing with the last 3 days of rain:

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/07/17/flash-floods-hit-singapore-again/

Early morning flash floods cause havoc all over again

By yahoosingapore – July 17th, 2010

http://yfittopostblogsg.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/twitter_irene.jpg?w=600

A torrential downpour in the early hours of Saturday morning triggered flash floods in various parts of Singapore.
Among the hardest hit areas were Braddell Road, Joo Chiat Terrace, Changi Road, Opera Estate, Bukit Timah and Delfi in Orchard Road.
It is the fourth time in recent months that heavy rain caused havoc to motorists and resulted in severe flooding.
Twitter user and Fly Entertainment CEO Irene Ang (@flyirene) commented, “My whole lane — Joo Chiat Terrace – and I heard Telok Kurau and Geylang also!” when asked by Yahoo! how badly affected her area was.
http://yfittopostblogsg.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/twitter_irene2.jpg?w=600&h=450 (http://yfittopostblogsg.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/twitter_irene2.jpg) Irene Ang's Twitter comment, "Me and my neighbours' 10 houses sharing a 25meter lap pool now!"

http://yfittopostblogsg.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/twitter_irene4.jpg?w=600&h=800 (http://yfittopostblogsg.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/twitter_irene4.jpg) courtesy of Twitter user @RJT

Twitter followers of @yahooSGnewsroom (http://twitter.com/yahooSGnewsroom), Winnilicious and PohLeng, also said Tampines and homes in Opera Estate were also hit.
Residents staying in Opera Estate awoke to screams from neighbours alerting them that flood waters were gushing into their homes, even as trash bins, buckets and shoes went floating down the road.
The Straits Times reported that the basement carpark in Tessarina Condominium and Cluny Court in the Bukit Timah area were submerged in knee-high waters.
Singapore Civil Defence Force personnel also had to evacuate 60 people in 20 different places, including passengers who were stuck in an SBS bus along Upper Thomson Road.
The same paper reported that shops along the area were badly damaged, with huge fridges overturned and smashed.
24-hour food haunt The Prata Shop was also badly hit, with thigh-high waters flooding the eatery and leaving about 50 customers stranded.
Owner Mr Ikbal Mohamed Ali, 55, was quoted as saying, “It’s the worst flood in our 18 years of business. Three of our refrigerators toppled over.”
The Delfi Orchard, which was hit by its worst flooding in 26 years last month, was again not spared.
One of the building’s tenants, Ms Shanta Sundarason, told the same paper, “So much for the ‘once in 50 years freak flood’ along Orchard Road. It would be nice for the problem to be addressed and dealt with, rather than a sweeping statement from the ministry.”
Beside Wheelock Place, fast food chain, Wendy’s, which is under renovation after incurring S$500,000 in damages from last month’s flood, was also submerged in waist-deep water.
By about 1pm, however, most of the floods in low-lying areas had receded.
Late last month, PM Lee warned Singaporeans that they cannot expect the island republic to be completely free of floods.
“I don’t think it is possible in Singapore to expect the place to be completely free of floods,” he said, as torrential downpours are a part of the climate for “an island in the tropics”.
He also added, “We have to learn from these episodes, do post-mortems, find out what happened, and upgrade our infrastructure and systems.”

bargain hunter
31-01-11, 09:13
i have PM the admin, mr funny, to see if he can help us with our problem. :ashamed1: i asked if he could PM u to help u with your registration. :D

Tried to change but unable.
Tried to create a new account but unable as well as the administrator for this forum has disabled registration :(

bargain_hunter
31-01-11, 09:40
i have PM the admin, mr funny, to see if he can help us with our problem. :ashamed1: i asked if he could PM u to help u with your registration. :D

thanks dude.

bargain_hunter
31-01-11, 09:46
wow almost everywhere ..... ?

including many popular disctricts ....

Many roads in the Prime districts are affected.
Including the road opposite my new house.
:(

Jervois Road/ Bishopsgate Road
Amber Road/ East Coast Road
Bukit Timah Rd/Wilby Road
River Valley Road
Farrer Park Area (includes Thomson Road/ Derbyshire Road)
Frankel Avenue/ Siglap Plain/ La Salle Street
Jalan Seaview
Tanglin Road
Mountbatten Road/ Meyer Road/ Fort Road/ Arthur Road/ Margate Road
Newton Road/ Lincoln Road/ Surrey Road
Stevens Road/ Balmoral Road

land118
31-01-11, 09:54
Many roads in the Prime districts are affected.
Including the road opposite my new house.
:(

Jervois Road/ Bishopsgate Road
Amber Road/ East Coast Road
Bukit Timah Rd/Wilby Road
River Valley Road
Farrer Park Area (includes Thomson Road/ Derbyshire Road)
Frankel Avenue/ Siglap Plain/ La Salle Street
Jalan Seaview
Tanglin Road
Mountbatten Road/ Meyer Road/ Fort Road/ Arthur Road/ Margate Road
Newton Road/ Lincoln Road/ Surrey Road
Stevens Road/ Balmoral Road

This is just listing, maybe you should take a drive to your new house and observe the surrounding roads, guess only when high tide coincide with flash floods/torrential rain, drain choked, then will flood...; so we are talking "Heng Heng" strike lottery then u will be affected la

proud owner
31-01-11, 10:22
This is just listing, maybe you should take a drive to your new house and observe the surrounding roads, guess only when high tide coincide with flash floods/torrential rain, drain choked, then will flood...; so we are talking "Heng Heng" strike lottery then u will be affected la

i believe govt also scare kana blamed again

so produce a list thats TOO comprehensive ... just in case really flood ...they are covered ..

land118
31-01-11, 10:37
i believe govt also scare kana blamed again

so produce a list thats TOO comprehensive ... just in case really flood ...they are covered .. They are No.1 in covering backside...:doh:

proud owner
31-01-11, 10:46
They are No.1 in covering backside...:doh:

CC = cover ca chng

BCC = better cover ca chng ...

so govt emails sure have a lot of CC's and BCC's

wind30
31-01-11, 20:38
1) d10, d15

10) cul de sac the best

why cul de sac is the best? I see some corner terrace with a loop back road and I think it is much more convenient as you don't have to do 3 point turn and you can park like 3-4 cars along the side of your terrace.

kingkong1984
31-01-11, 21:24
why cul de sac is the best? I see some corner terrace with a loop back road and I think it is much more convenient as you don't have to do 3 point turn and you can park like 3-4 cars along the side of your terrace.
U know why? People have no biz in front of ur house, ur main gate is looking forward which basically means ur free parking space by govt. Loop is like being watched all round.

bargain_hunter
31-01-11, 21:28

Usually houses with a cul de sac dont have traffic on that side of the road. (Its supposed to be a dead end). As there will be no cars on the side of the cul de sac, it is a lot more quiet and serene. Additional cars can be parked at the cul de sac area with the likelihood of the cars being scratched or damaged accidentally by pedestrians/moving cars greatly minimized.
But the cul de sac area will have to be substantial so that cars can be easily maneuvered.

My family owed a D16 inter-terrace facing a big park with cul de sac. Always easy to rent out despite being a little run-down (34years old).
A little bit like Greenfield in the Siglap/Frankel area in D15.

The Greenfield area is kinda like the holy grail in the Siglap/Frankel Estate of D15

focus
31-01-11, 21:33
Luckily (for now), I have not encountered any flood at Dakota Crescent. Don't remember seeing any flood at meyer road too..

So I'm not sure how updated the list is now..

bargain_hunter
31-01-11, 21:34
U know why? People have no biz in front of ur house, ur main gate is looking forward which basically means ur free parking space by govt. Loop is like being watched all round.

I cant possibly put it more adequately than our Dear Giant Ape. :D

bargain_hunter
31-01-11, 21:37
Luckily (for now), I have not encountered any flood at Dakota Crescent. Don't remember seeing any flood at meyer road too..

So I'm not sure how updated the list is now..

Kinda scary how much flooding there is nowadays in the East area.
Hopefully wont be scooping out water from my grandma's place in opera estate on Wednesday. :(

focus
31-01-11, 22:48
Kinda scary how much flooding there is nowadays in the East area.
Hopefully wont be scooping out water from my grandma's place in opera estate on Wednesday. :(

Wow.. the worst is flooding old folk's house. They will be devastated. Better asked them to relocate things with sentimental values up a floor.

wind30
01-02-11, 05:26
Usually houses with a cul de sac dont have traffic on that side of the road. (Its supposed to be a dead end). As there will be no cars on the side of the cul de sac, it is a lot more quiet and serene. Additional cars can be parked at the cul de sac area with the likelihood of the cars being scratched or damaged accidentally by pedestrians/moving cars greatly minimized.
But the cul de sac area will have to be substantial so that cars can be easily maneuvered.

My family owed a D16 inter-terrace facing a big park with cul de sac. Always easy to rent out despite being a little run-down (34years old).
A little bit like Greenfield in the Siglap/Frankel area in D15.

The Greenfield area is kinda like the holy grail in the Siglap/Frankel Estate of D15

I looked at Greenfield in Frankel in google map, it doesn't look like cul de sac.

The part about more quiet is probably true. But you probably have much less parking space than there is a loop road unless you have a HUGE cul de sac area.

wind30
01-02-11, 05:28

looking forward as in facing the incoming road? I thought chinese people hate their main gate facing incoming road.

land118
01-02-11, 08:33
looking forward as in facing the incoming road? I thought chinese people hate their main gate facing incoming road. Some interesting Feng Shui read on houses at cul de sac:

http://fengshui.about.com/od/fengshuiforhome/qt/feng_shui_culds.htm

bargain_hunter
01-02-11, 08:57
I looked at Greenfield in Frankel in google map, it doesn't look like cul de sac.

The part about more quiet is probably true. But you probably have much less parking space than there is a loop road unless you have a HUGE cul de sac area.

Ok the example was not very appropriate.
What i meant was the quiet & serene environment at Greenfield cos it has a big park in the middle of the estate.
It does not have any cul de sac.

bargain_hunter
01-02-11, 09:06
Some interesting Feng Shui read on houses at cul de sac:

http://fengshui.about.com/od/fengshuiforhome/qt/feng_shui_culds.htm

Not sure about the fengshui part on cul de sac houses.
But housing agents usually advertised having a cul de sac as a benefit to the houses around it.
And it really depends on how the house is facing, cos the front does not have to be facing the oncoming traffic. The house can be located by the side of the cul de sac. Meaning parallel to the road leading to the cul de sac.
The cul de sac area will also have to be substantial to provide ample space to park cars.

land118
01-02-11, 09:14
But housing agents usually advertised having a cul de sac as a benefit to the houses around it.
And it really depends on how the house is facing, cos the front does not have to be facing the oncoming traffic. The house can be located by the side of the cul de sac. Meaning parallel to the road leading to the cul de sac.
The cul de sac area will also have to be substantial to provide ample space to park cars. Ya, Agents seem to promote cul de sac as a plus/positive - parking is 1 advantage, quiet, exclusive. But i would think if so happen that particular house facing/entrance is positioned such that it is directly facing the inward/outward road, then it is same as a house at T-junction, would get incoming traffic headlight shinning into house at night. This is the disadvantage if u ignore the part of Feng Shui.

wind30
01-02-11, 09:19
The cul de sac area will also have to be substantial to provide ample space to park cars.

agreed it all depends on how big the cul de sac is. If it is just a road terminating... then it is REALLY bad. Hard to park, hard to reverse.

I got my terrace unit in lentor, countryside and it is beside a corner terrace. Instead if building right to the edge of their land and terminating the road, the developer actually built a loop back road with NO HOUSES on either side (which is very rare).

So you can actually park 8 cars on one side of the loop back road (2 corner terrace's length). In crowded days, you can park on either side of the road and still let a car through so that is almost 16 cars of parking......

I also like the convenience of just parking at the road side and driving off without having to 3 point turn.

If it is serene you like, lentor is very sparsely populated with probably the highest density of parks.

Unfortunately, the NS expressway will be coming up beside countryside. Luckily my unit is farthest away from the Road, more than 150m away.

Still the construction works..... on the brightside, hopefully it will help travelling time with the expressway entrance just outside.

proper-t
01-02-11, 09:29

Yeah, I like Greenfield area too.:) You gotta take a drive around it to appreciate. Something like it is the area is in Mt Sinai which is near the park.

bargain_hunter
01-02-11, 09:32
Ya, Agents seem to promote cul de sac as a plus/positive - parking is 1 advantage, quiet, exclusive. But i would think if so happen that particular house facing/entrance is positioned such that it is directly facing the inward/outward road, then it is same as a house at T-junction, would get incoming traffic headlight shinning into house at night. This is the disadvantage if u ignore the part of Feng Shui.

You are also right. I mention cul de sac but i didn't mention any T junctions houses.
Houses located at a T junction is a BIG NO NO.
Its one of the big NOs to buying a landed property.
The cul de sac area at D16 which i mentioned earlier does not have any houses located at the end of the road. All the houses faces the park and are parallel to the road leading to the cul de sac.

bargain_hunter
01-02-11, 09:33
Yeah, I like Greenfield area too.:) You gotta take a drive around it to appreciate. Something like it is the area is in Mt Sinai which is near the park.

Yup. Just that houses there are in the region of 6-8m.
Just cant afford them.

bargain_hunter
01-02-11, 09:37
agreed it all depends on how big the cul de sac is. If it is just a road terminating... then it is REALLY bad. Hard to park, hard to reverse.

I got my terrace unit in lentor, countryside and it is beside a corner terrace. Instead if building right to the edge of their land and terminating the road, the developer actually built a loop back road with NO HOUSES on either side (which is very rare).

So you can actually park 8 cars on one side of the loop back road (2 corner terrace's length). In crowded days, you can park on either side of the road and still let a car through so that is almost 16 cars of parking......

I also like the convenience of just parking at the road side and driving off without having to 3 point turn.

If it is serene you like, lentor is very sparsely populated with probably the highest density of parks.

Unfortunately, the NS expressway will be coming up beside countryside. Luckily my unit is farthest away from the Road, more than 150m away.

Still the construction works..... on the brightside, hopefully it will help travelling time with the expressway entrance just outside.

I dont really have much knowledge of the Lentor area.
I'm more of a city/east boy.
Some of the estates in the northern region are pretty serene and quiet.
I used to work around AMK Industrial Park area.
But i dont like travelling via CTE and TPE most of the time.

bargain_hunter
01-02-11, 09:52
You are also right. I mention cul de sac but i didn't mention any T junctions houses.
Houses located at a T junction is a BIG NO NO.
Its one of the big NOs to buying a landed property.
The cul de sac area at D16 which i mentioned earlier does not have any houses located at the end of the road. All the houses faces the park and are parallel to the road leading to the cul de sac.

Example:
See attachment

land118
01-02-11, 10:12
Example:
See attachment Look nice, opposite a park. Rare that end of T-junction no house. Have seen many cul de sac, end of the road or loop have 1 house - which is not good.

wind30
01-02-11, 10:28
I would prefer if there is a bubble at the end of the cul de sac like the below.

http://maps.google.com.sg/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Singapore&ll=1.391071,103.837334&spn=0,0.010568&t=k&z=17&layer=c&cbll=1.391091,103.837425&panoid=SLX9B35GY4bJiZ2kesvRrQ&cbp=12,261.6,,0,11.26

land118
01-02-11, 10:37
I would prefer if there is a bubble at the end of the cul de sac like the below.

http://maps.google.com.sg/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Singapore&ll=1.391071,103.837334&spn=0,0.010568&t=k&z=17&layer=c&cbll=1.391091,103.837425&panoid=SLX9B35GY4bJiZ2kesvRrQ&cbp=12,261.6,,0,11.26 Yes, i know this place. Ideal. Few years ago, a relative of mine rented a house (can't remember the number )before the end, somewhere middle of this lane. Unfortunately, relative who was looking to buy at the end of lease, didn't buy a unit there and end up buying a condo nearby.

Nice, but not many this type around.

wind30
01-02-11, 11:19
yup. That place is the other end of Countryside (lentor) where I stay.

I stay nearer to this end. See the long stretch of road with NO houses on either side. The parking here is the best I have seen and within my price range :) significantly lower than 2mil.

http://maps.google.com.sg/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Singapore&t=k&layer=c&cbll=1.388205,103.839188&panoid=g510pJ0he0DKwOb2fP1Tig&cbp=12,160.25,,0,13.77&ll=1.388205,103.839188&spn=0,0.010568&z=17

land118
01-02-11, 11:33
yup. That place is the other end of Countryside (lentor) where I stay.

I stay nearer to this end. See the long stretch of road with NO houses on either side. The parking here is the best I have seen and within my price range :) significantly lower than 2mil.

http://maps.google.com.sg/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Singapore&t=k&layer=c&cbll=1.388205,103.839188&panoid=g510pJ0he0DKwOb2fP1Tig&cbp=12,160.25,,0,13.77&ll=1.388205,103.839188&spn=0,0.010568&z=17

Just check from streetsine, seem tat tis area hasn't run-up as much as others, like what u said:

http://www.streetsine.com/static/home2/map.jsp#postalcode-786877

Address

Tenure
PSF
Area Sqft
Price
Contract Date
75 Countryside Road
Freehold
$884
$1680k
06-Oct-10
22 Countryside Road
Freehold
$804
$1800k
22-Sep-10
8 Countryside Link
Freehold
$925
$1680k
17-Aug-10
107 Countryside Road
Freehold
$840
$1600k
05-Jul-10
14 Countryside View
Freehold
$908
$1650k
09-Apr-10

wind30
01-02-11, 11:44
Those transactions are very close together in time as not many transactions. The estate was launched in the last property bubble at 1.6mil+ in 1997. So most of the people there just broke even recently..... So you don't get run downed units owned by boochap owners who bought their property 30 years ago for 100k.

Also most of the units on countryside ROAD face the road and MRT track (and NS expressway just announced) so good luck to those who got those units. Never get a main road facing unit.

Compared to the prices in 2009 and 2010, it is around 25% higher in 2010.

I actually prefered florissa park at lentor but those units are even harder to find.

proud owner
01-02-11, 13:33
Example:
See attachment

this pic looks like a place i once saw .. in D20 ?

proud owner
01-02-11, 13:37
Those transactions are very close together in time as not many transactions. The estate was launched in the last property bubble at 1.6mil+ in 1997. So most of the people there just broke even recently..... So you don't get run downed units owned by boochap owners who bought their property 30 years ago for 100k.

Also most of the units on countryside ROAD face the road and MRT track (and NS expressway just announced) so good luck to those who got those units. Never get a main road facing unit.

I actually prefered florissa park at lentor but those units are even harder to find.

i dunno whats that place called ...... one side is seletar hill ... its on the other side of CTE ... they have a lot of big landed house ... not expensive

only problem ... NO SCHOOL within 1 km

wind30
01-02-11, 14:02
i dunno whats that place called ...... one side is seletar hill ... its on the other side of CTE ... they have a lot of big landed house ... not expensive

only problem ... NO SCHOOL within 1 km

I think that is further up north along thomson road. Quite ulu.

My place is within 1 km from Anderson Primary and YCK MRT. I sometimes walk to/from the MRT. but once the NS expressway start construction.... dunno if still can walk...

bargain hunter
01-02-11, 14:22
D26. just 1 road north of D20. :)

bargain_hunter
01-02-11, 15:23

Rule No.1 - Never buy a hse at/along/near ANY MAIN road or expressway.

These hse have no investment value to me no matter how cheap.

proud owner
01-02-11, 15:30
Rule No.1 - Never buy a hse at/along/near ANY MAIN road or expressway.

These hse have no investment value to me no matter how cheap.

like those deep inside Kembangan ? near PIE ?

or those houses in Serangoon Gdns next to AMK ave 3 ? and those lining CTE ?

also Li Hwan ? facing AMK ave 1

i think those along siglap is the worst .. road so narrow ... somemore got bus ...

how abt those in changi ? noise from airport ?

bargain_hunter
01-02-11, 16:20
like those deep inside Kembangan ? near PIE ?

or those houses in Serangoon Gdns next to AMK ave 3 ? and those lining CTE ?

also Li Hwan ? facing AMK ave 1

i think those along siglap is the worst .. road so narrow ... somemore got bus ...

how abt those in changi ? noise from airport ?

Along any main road or near any expressway all cannot buy. ya im a bit extreme

bargain_hunter
01-02-11, 16:23

D16. at e other side of e cul de sac is a pathway leading to e MRT. 450m away

bargain hunter
01-02-11, 17:10
oops. i thought proud owner was referring to the images wind attached. ;)

your place is good stuff. i know where it is. :)

D16. at e other side of e cul de sac is a pathway leading to e MRT. 450m away

wind30
02-02-11, 09:16
Along any main road or near any expressway all cannot buy. ya im a bit extreme

I also will not buy any facing any main roads. The reason for getting landed is to get a serene and quiet place to stay for me. Why would you want to face a main road and hear the traffic everyday. Not to mention all the dust and pollution + road widening/construction.

For the East side, those within my budget will be very small and messy location. A lot of small patches of new developments trying to squeeze as many units as possible into tiny plots of land. I take walks around the estate with my family so if the roads are narrow, messy and crowded, kind of defeats the purpose.

The better areas in the East are way above my budget.

I grew up in TPY and my wife in AMK so we cannot live without our hawker centers and is used to life in the old HDB estates.

CTE sucks during peak hours but I don't travel the CTE for work. During weekends if you go EARLY like 10am, the drive to orchard is actually pretty fast as the CTE exits in the middle of orchard.

bargain_hunter
02-02-11, 13:45
oops. i thought proud owner was referring to the images wind attached. ;)

your place is good stuff. i know where it is. :)

Ok la. bought in 1995, quite expensive then.

bargain_hunter
02-02-11, 13:59
I also will not buy any facing any main roads. The reason for getting landed is to get a serene and quiet place to stay for me. Why would you want to face a main road and hear the traffic everyday. Not to mention all the dust and pollution + road widening/construction.

For the East side, those within my budget will be very small and messy location. A lot of small patches of new developments trying to squeeze as many units as possible into tiny plots of land. I take walks around the estate with my family so if the roads are narrow, messy and crowded, kind of defeats the purpose.

I grew up in TPY and my wife in AMK so we cannot live without our hawker centers and is used to life in the old HDB estates.

CTE sucks during peak hours but I don't travel the CTE for work. During weekends if you go EARLY like 10am, the drive to orchard is actually pretty fast as the CTE exits in the middle of orchard.

The road at my new place is not narrow. Just that quite a few condos along it. Parking more than 1 car outside my house will be a problem.
Might have to squeeze both cars into the driveway.
But its near many amenities which means walking distance to rows of shop houses selling good food, art galleries and some good chill out places.
A rather special attribute of the house is, it comes with a plot ratio, my fav.
:D

The East area is actually very big. The prime east area will be in D15.
But not all in D15 is considered prime though.
I used to live in town (Grange road area) for 20 years. Prior to that i was raised in opera estate till i was 8.
Although opera estate is very quiet ,serene with wide roads and tons of parking space available by the road side , its far away from most of the amenities in Siglap.
Landed houses in Siglap area usually have narrow roads, much more cars and more noise. However the value of the houses in Siglap is around 20% more than those in Opera Estate.
When i refer to Siglap i mean roads like Woo Mon Chew, Jalan Jamal, Ulu Siglap, Palm Ave, First/Second/Third/Fourth street.
Its more congested there but the value is much higher than the quiet/serene less congested opera estate.
One main reason is Siglap Village. Rows of popular eateries, bars, pubs, banks, post offices which makes the area very vibrant and hence higher value.
Think Holland Village.
Too quiet sometimes not too good. Cos everything u want to get, you have to drive out.

bargain_hunter
02-02-11, 14:09

My family also used to owe a semi d in Namly Area (D10).
We didn't choose to live there because its too deep in, roads are narrow with many up/down slopes and no amenities nearby at all.
Its extremely quiet and serene though with a cul de sac.
We sold it at below $750psf in 2006.
Although don't like to stay there but its probably worth an additional 1.5 to 2m in current market.
Regret till this day. :(
But if don't sell, how to have $$$ to invest elsewhere. So sometimes also no choice la.

land118
02-02-11, 16:35
Its more congested there but the value is much higher than the quiet/serene less congested opera estate.
One main reason is Siglap Village. Rows of popular eateries, bars, pubs, banks, post offices which makes the area very vibrant and hence higher value.
Think Holland Village.
Too quiet sometimes not too good. Cos everything u want to get, you have to drive out.
Personally I also share same view as u, prefer walking distance to amenities, 200-600m is ok, not so near and not so far. If have to drive to amenities, then more like staying overseas.

kingkong1984
02-02-11, 17:04
Personally I also share same view as u, prefer walking distance to amenities, 200-600m is ok, not so near and not so far. If have to drive to amenities, then more like staying overseas.
Best of the best comments.. Not so near and not so far. I like it. How about, not so expansive and not so cheap. Not so tall and not so short. Not so hot and not so cold, not so big and not so small. Best of the best words :)

Not trying to be sarcastic, just creative.

land118
02-02-11, 17:56
Best of the best comments.. Not so near and not so far. I like it. How about, not so expansive and not so cheap. Not so tall and not so short. Not so hot and not so cold, not so big and not so small. Best of the best words :)

Not trying to be sarcastic, just creative. " Le su ga jio ho; gum gum ho!": u happy, good; just right!

land118
02-02-11, 17:58
Gong Xi Fa Cai to All! Shutting down, going to have reunion dinner & Huat!

wind30
02-02-11, 19:24

Close to some amenities is of course good but not critical to me. For me, if you are too close, it is REALLY bad with the crowds.

I rank close to MRT and public transport more impt as my kids probably need to go out next time. My place i

Actually staying in landed, getting into the car and driving off is so convenient so we usually drive for everything.

For me I am a very picky eater. I like the kuay chap at AMK Ave 3 market. I like the pork rib noodles at Ave 10. I like the wan tan mee at Ave 4. How to find all the food you like at walking distance?

Gong Xi Fa Cai and be happy with your new place :)

Geylang OKT
03-02-11, 05:23
Distance amd proximity to amenities will always be an issue. That is why you notice that those ulu hillview condos are selling for a song :D

land118
03-02-11, 09:05
For me, amenities mean a cluster of shops catering to basic needs: convenient store: can be a minimarts, a kopi Tiam, pharmacy/Chinese medical store, a hair salon, a GP clinic, a bank. Why 600m? That's the distance of 1 to 1 1/2 bus stop, which is what most people is able to walk comfortably when we say within walking distance, even for senior citizens here.

wind30
03-02-11, 14:30
A rather special attribute of the house is, it comes with a plot ratio, my fav.
:D

To me that is a big minus. It really makes the neighbourhood messy.

I buy a place where I can stay with my family for the next 10-20 years. The neighborhood must be nice to stay. Buying a landed property with a plot ratio means either you are surrounded by condos, or your neighbours could en bloc and sell their houses and you end up facing construction for 3 years and heavy traffic, etc.

Too much uncertainty in the neighbourhood for me. of course the upside is you can enbloc TOGETHER with your neighbour and earn big bucks.

Different people, different aims.

wannabe
08-03-11, 15:48
To me that is a big minus. It really makes the neighbourhood messy.

I buy a place where I can stay with my family for the next 10-20 years. The neighborhood must be nice to stay. Buying a landed property with a plot ratio means either you are surrounded by condos, or your neighbours could en bloc and sell their houses and you end up facing construction for 3 years and heavy traffic, etc.

Too much uncertainty in the neighbourhood for me. of course the upside is you can enbloc TOGETHER with your neighbour and earn big bucks.

Different people, different aims.

I think for most Singaporeans, property is to make $$$.