PDA

View Full Version : House hunt - Advice appreciated

Eyeo
29-12-10, 17:30
Seven years ago we stubbornly kept within our budget. Chose Tanjong Rhu over The Astons at Kay Poh road (for a mere savings of $100,00!) and bought a small high floor sea view unit that suited just the 2 of us.

Fastforward to day: God blessed us with a son but we were spilling out of the apt. So we sold our place in November and started our hunt. Comparing prices, our place increase by about 40% whereas Aston prices increased by almost 75%. (hope I got my Math right)

Although we are looking for a home, we hope to buy into somewhere with potential capital appreciation. Learning from our mistake, we included River Valley area (where schools and rationality lead us) while looking around Meyer/Tg Rhu (where the heart is).

We viewed from Residences at Evelyn to Park Infinia to Aspen Heights, Riveria Gardens and some. Realised our budget of $2m can only get relatively new mid floor 2 bedders or old 3 bedders.

At the east, we viewed Meyer Residences, Belvedere , Seafront and some others. Liked the layout of the latter. Offered almost $1750psf for a v high floor 2 bedder, (no sea view tho) but got played out by the agent. (Maybe it was a blessing in disguise cos now that the euphoria has died down, we realized it was probably overpriced)

We are supposed to move out by end of February. Have resigned to the fact that we will be moving twice, once to a rental before to our home.

Here's the dilemma:
At almost the same price, which should we bite?
- Good layout, brand new but overpriced Seafront
- 4 year old Urbana(?) with better potential but needs creative imagination to fit our piano into the living room

Sorry for the long post but the stress from this hunt has resulted in quite a lot of tension between me and hubs. I hope to seek advice from the seasoned property players here to shed some light and hopefully make this journey smoother.

Many thanks and God bless,
eyeo

azeoprop
29-12-10, 17:42
How about The Arte by CDL? Just top recently, a 1399sqft 3 bedroom apartment about 1.6M.

21 Jalan Raja Udang #22-05
Freehold
$1180
$1650k
06 Dec 10

23 Jalan Raja Udang #29-07
Freehold
$1208
$1690k
27 Aug 10

23 Jalan Raja Udang #12-07
Freehold
$1180
$1650k
24 Aug 10

I believe there is still room for appreciation once Cube8 and Thomson 368 TOP.

JohnTan
29-12-10, 17:44
I would go for valley park that is cheaper, has upside potential and still fit your piano in :)

nobrainer32007
29-12-10, 18:14
Urbana anytime!

If unit faces claremont which has a height restriction upto i think 10 storey and oxley area, you will have literally unblocked city view for those units on slightly higher level.

River valley close potential not fully realised yet.

Cheers

Seven years ago we stubbornly kept within our budget. Chose Tanjong Rhu over The Astons at Kay Poh road (for a mere savings of $100,00!) and bought a small high floor sea view unit that suited just the 2 of us.

Fastforward to day: God blessed us with a son but we were spilling out of the apt. So we sold our place in November and started our hunt. Comparing prices, our place increase by about 40% whereas Aston prices increased by almost 75%. (hope I got my Math right)

Although we are looking for a home, we hope to buy into somewhere with potential capital appreciation. Learning from our mistake, we included River Valley area (where schools and rationality lead us) while looking around Meyer/Tg Rhu (where the heart is).

We viewed from Residences at Evelyn to Park Infinia to Aspen Heights, Riveria Gardens and some. Realised our budget of $2m can only get relatively new mid floor 2 bedders or old 3 bedders.

At the east, we viewed Meyer Residences, Belvedere , Seafront and some others. Liked the layout of the latter. Offered almost $1750psf for a v high floor 2 bedder, (no sea view tho) but got played out by the agent. (Maybe it was a blessing in disguise cos now that the euphoria has died down, we realized it was probably overpriced)

We are supposed to move out by end of February. Have resigned to the fact that we will be moving twice, once to a rental before to our home.

Here's the dilemma:
At almost the same price, which should we bite?
- Good layout, brand new but overpriced Seafront
- 4 year old Urbana(?) with better potential but needs creative imagination to fit our piano into the living room

Sorry for the long post but the stress from this hunt has resulted in quite a lot of tension between me and hubs. I hope to seek advice from the seasoned property players here to shed some light and hopefully make this journey smoother.

Many thanks and God bless,
eyeo

devilplate
29-12-10, 18:24
wah 2mil budget and yet cant find a plc....ppty really bubbling or too picky?

mcmlxxvi
29-12-10, 18:34
The piano is grand piano?

Eyeo
29-12-10, 18:55
wah 2mil budget and yet cant find a plc....ppty really bubbling or too picky?
Guilty as charged. As mentioned in my post - looking at D9, 10, 11 or Meyer, Tg Rhu. Guess it is the right budget but wrong place :tongue3:

august
29-12-10, 19:14
r u a foreigner?

Eyeo
29-12-10, 19:18
The piano is grand piano?
Normal upright but sure looks big in my cramped and toys-filled hall :)

Eyeo
29-12-10, 19:24
r u a foreigner?
Nope. 100% local teochew ah nia :)

Eyeo
29-12-10, 19:30
Dear azeoprop, John and nobrainer32007

Thanks for the leads, will include the mentioned projects under my radar, cheers

sh
29-12-10, 19:33
Guilty as charged. As mentioned in my post - looking at D9, 10, 11 or Meyer, Tg Rhu. Guess it is the right budget but wrong place :tongue3:

Why T Rhu and meyer, not a little further down to Sea View. A lot more convenient, walk to Parkway?

Not hot about River Valley, personally...

kingkong1984
29-12-10, 21:20
might want to check these out.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/2782603/for-sale-pinewood-gardens

or

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/project-listings/thomson-800-339/sale/1

:banghead: :simmering: :scared-2:

Eyeo
29-12-10, 21:33
Why T Rhu and meyer, not a little further down to Sea View. A lot more convenient, walk to Parkway?

Not hot about River Valley, personally...
Yeah seaview is attractive, nearby amenities galore, with a strong developer like wheelock to boot. However I am kind of concerned after the recent parking spate and the upcoming silverseas. What do u think?

sh
29-12-10, 22:28
Yeah seaview is attractive, nearby amenities galore, with a strong developer like wheelock to boot. However I am kind of concerned after the recent parking spate and the upcoming silverseas. What do u think?

buy sea view for the convenience, not the views. It's good that silversea is coming up now, so the lost of view is already priced in. unlike the original buyers that have paid for the view that is going away....

The parking issue is a temporary blip in the bigger scheme of things....

I hope you're considering meyer road, not solely on views, because the seaview will eventually disappear with the vast reclaimed land in front of the plots (except aalto). Then, you'll be left with the ECP, without the sea view. that's not going to be good for prices in the future.

Regulators
29-12-10, 22:53
you have 2 mil cash to spare or just a 2 mil budget to buy a property? if you have 2 mil cash, you can buy 3-4 properties and collect rental income to pay of your other mortgages.

Rysk
29-12-10, 23:01
How about The Arte by CDL? Just top recently, a 1399sqft 3 bedroom apartment about 1.6M.

21 Jalan Raja Udang #22-05
Freehold
$1180
$1650k
06 Dec 10

23 Jalan Raja Udang #29-07
Freehold
$1208
$1690k
27 Aug 10

23 Jalan Raja Udang #12-07
Freehold
$1180
$1650k
24 Aug 10

I believe there is still room for appreciation once Cube8 and Thomson 368 TOP.

Agreed.. At 2-mil budget, you can get a big unit at The Arte with full size condo facilities.. & is brand new with good finishing

I do believe there is still room for appreciation, esp Vista Res by Far East once TOP.. they are selling much higher than The Arte

proud owner
29-12-10, 23:55
Agreed.. At 2-mil budget, you can get a big unit at The Arte with full size condo facilities.. & is brand new with good finishing

I do believe there is still room for appreciation, esp Vista Res by Far East once TOP.. they are selling much higher than The Arte

i think she also has to consider at least to be near schools ...

actually i think for that budget ..and if they are not fussy which sch for the son ( as long as not girls' sch hehhe) then alot of choices leow

DC33_2008
30-12-10, 07:05
Get the correct facing if you are looking at the Arte.

Eyeo
30-12-10, 07:11
Hi rysk & proud owner

CDL properties are always so tempting. Saw a high floor unit on Propertyguru. Seems the units are quite "marble-ish"? :cool:

Will drive by to recce location first though. Some parts of Balestier are almost Geylang-wannabes. Don't wish to end up being a 孟母三迁 :)

eyeo

Eyeo
30-12-10, 07:22
you have 2 mil cash to spare or just a 2 mil budget to buy a property? if you have 2 mil cash, you can buy 3-4 properties and collect rental income to pay of your other mortgages.
Unfortunately it is just $2m budget, I wish it were all cash though :)

Laguna
30-12-10, 08:46
I saw the SeaFront and The Seaview
The Seaview is a much better buy and convenient

Carpark isssue at The Seaview is over alr, perhaps wait till the AGM

hopeful
30-12-10, 09:04
Get old RV condos like Melrose Park. Less than 3 mins walking to Great World City from back entrance.

terence
30-12-10, 09:42
how about 8@ Mt Spohia, 1 min to DG MRT?
I have seen several units there in the 1Q this year but did not buy. A bit regret now. Location is superb but i feel the unit furnishings not so gd.

devilplate
30-12-10, 09:44
how about 8@ Mt Spohia, 1 min to DG MRT?
I have seen several units there in the 1Q this year but did not buy. A bit regret now. Location is superb but i feel the unit furnishings not so gd.

but construction right in front for next 3-4yrs wor

azeoprop
30-12-10, 09:47

Official website:
http://www.cdl.com.sg/thearte/

:p

propertychap
30-12-10, 09:54
I went to the Arte showroom last year and almost booked a unit but eventually turned away because of the huge balcony and planters which stretches across the living room and the bedrooms. But the interior is nice with big marble slabs. Chosen Vista res because of the better space utilisation and the sky terraces. Prices back then seems so cheap compared to what people have to pay now.

devilplate
30-12-10, 09:57
I went to the Arte showroom last year and almost booked a unit but eventually turned away because of the huge balcony and planters which stretches across the living room and the bedrooms. But the interior is nice with big marble slabs. Chosen Vista res because of the better space utilisation and the sky terraces. Prices back then seems so cheap compared to what people have to pay now.

EVERYTHING seems so cheap last yr jan-may:D

kingkong1984
30-12-10, 10:05
EVERYTHING seems so cheap last yr jan-may:D

should be march to may....:D

Lovelle
30-12-10, 10:07
the trend is on mass market towards OCR or RCR area now not River Valley.

buy Jurong west also has potential capital gain and more space for you..

Eyeo
30-12-10, 10:15
Pardon my ignorance. Just wondering aloud.

Flippers (are they so-called?) are factoring in stamp duties, bank penalties into their prices. Genuine home seekers like me have no choice but to pay for the so-called cooling measures.

So can i conclude that there is no bubble in the first place?

moneyspinner
30-12-10, 10:24
I always think buying a freehold landed unit is the best bet in Singapore if you can afford it.:tongue3:

Eyeo
30-12-10, 10:41
I always think buying a freehold landed unit is the best bet in Singapore if you can afford it.:tongue3:
I fully agree! Especially now when some newly renovated landed units cost almost as much as condos in the areas I am looking for ... (I had viewed 2 landed: a new terrace at Opera Estate priced at $1.9m, a 10 year-old at Lor Paya Lebar for $1.35m)

However, the ongoing upkeep and potential humongous build-up by surrounding neighbours made silly old me think twice. Hopefully it is not another of my wrong moves again. :(

amk
30-12-10, 10:57
Learning from our mistake, we included River Valley area (where schools and rationality lead us) while looking around Meyer/Tg Rhu (where the heart is).

follow your heart ;)

We viewed from Residences at Evelyn to Park Infinia
these are D11 not D9 no ?
In the R@E area u have this Newton Euro-Asia that's much cheaper than everybody else. well within 2M for ur 3 bedder

Eyeo
30-12-10, 11:37
follow your heart ;)

hahah but it is getting increasingly expensive to indulge the heart :)

hopeful
30-12-10, 11:44
What are your constraints? eg 2million budget
What are your needs?
What are your nice to have but not essential?
What are your objectives? capital appreciation etc....

From there, fellow forummers probably can give you better answers.
Right now, you are not very specific and our answers also shooting in the dark.

Rysk
30-12-10, 11:53
Hi rysk & proud owner

CDL properties are always so tempting. Saw a high floor unit on Propertyguru. Seems the units are quite "marble-ish"? :cool:

Will drive by to recce location first though. Some parts of Balestier are almost Geylang-wannabes. Don't wish to end up being a 孟母三迁 :)

eyeo

I personally have viewed The Arte & found some gd points (of cos there's also some bad pts)
-Good quality & finishing
-Squarish layout maximise the build-in area & easy layout for furnitures
-Double glazed glass with heavy duty casing sliding door for balcony
-Bright interior
-Nice & airconditioned lobby at basement, 1st good impression for visitors
-Big landscape with full condo facilities
-Alternate exit drive to Thomson Rd in case Jln Datoh is jam
-Located beside D11 where Cube8 & 368Thomson is, & not at Whampoa side, so u won't feels that the area is Geylang-wannabes..

The nearest good school is CHIJ Toa Payoh (girl sch) within 1km, & SJIJ (boy sch) but is 1.2km away.

Lovelle
30-12-10, 11:53
given that the coe is so expensive now, it's worth buying something near mrt.

teddybear
30-12-10, 12:17
Newton Euro-Asia the estate looks quite shabby (landscaping & building not well managed?). Why not look at Novena Suites, The Hungtington, Thomson Euro-Asia, Soleil side? Just beside MRT and 3 shopping malls all within 2 mins distance. Your son can get 1 km priority P1 registration to get into SJI Junior (100% can get in, no need balloting) (Mah Boh Tan's school?). :D

follow your heart ;)

these are D11 not D9 no ?
In the R@E area u have this Newton Euro-Asia that's much cheaper than everybody else. well within 2M for ur 3 bedder

Eyeo
30-12-10, 12:56
What are your constraints? eg 2million budget
What are your needs?
What are your nice to have but not essential?
What are your objectives? capital appreciation etc....

From there, fellow forummers probably can give you better answers.
Right now, you are not very specific and our answers also shooting in the dark.

ok here goes...

Budget
- up to $2m max (dont want to empty our pockets and slave thereafter for a roof)

Needs
- layout of at least 2 sizeable bedrooms (son is growing, and pls remember our fren, the piano :( )
- location to minimise travel (hubs at Suntec, me at Upper East Coast, enrichments at United Sq)
- wholesome child-friendly neighbourhood
- underground car park
- minimal afternoon sun

Nice to have
- high floor with view (sigh~~)
- brand new (so that I dont have to wonder who have been poo poo-ing in the toilets b4)
- full facilities
- immediate move in so that we dont have to move twice (almost impossible now)
- near (boys/mixed) primary schools (no need elite or MBTan schools ;) )
- near amenities
- sufficient carpark lots (we have 2 cars)

Objective
- good upside potential

Tall order huh?

Thanks so much for going through this with me.
Dont trust agents anymore (no offence intended), met too many out for their own gains.
Sad but true.

So lets brainstorm away :)

devilplate
30-12-10, 13:00
ok here goes...

Budget
- up to $2m max (dont want to empty our pockets and slave thereafter for a roof)

Needs
- layout of at least 2 sizeable bedrooms (son is growing, and pls remember our fren, the piano :( )
- location to minimise travel (hubs at Suntec, me at Upper East Coast, enrichments at United Sq)
- wholesome child-friendly neighbourhood
- underground car park
- minimal afternoon sun

Nice to have
- high floor with view (sigh~~)
- brand new (so that I dont have to wonder who have been poo poo-ing in the toilets b4)
- full facilities
- immediate move in so that we dont have to move twice (almost impossible now)
- near (boys/mixed) primary schools (no need elite or MBTan schools ;) )
- near amenities
- sufficient carpark lots (we have 2 cars)

Objective
- good upside potential

Tall order huh?

Thanks so much for going through this with me.
Dont trust agents anymore (no offence intended), met too many out for their own gains.
Sad but true.

So lets brainstorm away :)

u shd consider teddybear suggestion.....

Eyeo
30-12-10, 13:00
I personally have viewed The Arte & found some gd points (of cos there's also some bad pts)
-Good quality & finishing
-Squarish layout maximise the build-in area & easy layout for furnitures
-Double glazed glass with heavy duty casing sliding door for balcony
-Bright interior
-Nice & airconditioned lobby at basement, 1st good impression for visitors
-Big landscape with full condo facilities
-Alternate exit drive to Thomson Rd in case Jln Datoh is jam
-Located beside D11 where Cube8 & 368Thomson is, & not at Whampoa side, so u won't feels that the area is Geylang-wannabes..

The nearest good school is CHIJ Toa Payoh (girl sch) within 1km, & SJIJ (boy sch) but is 1.2km away.
Thanks so much for the list.

After all these rave reviews, I must make some appts to go look see.
Sorry to ask for more but do you have any idea about noise level from the PIE? Which stack would you recommend for a 3 bedder?

Thanks again.

Eyeo
30-12-10, 13:11
u shd consider teddybear suggestion.....I concur :)

But any idea how not to get an old lemon?

At our viewing of Apen Heights:
Agent: "this unit is very well maintained..blah blah blah"
But I saw exposed water pipes in the bedroom toilets...:doh:

sh
30-12-10, 13:32
Looking at your wishlist, it appears that you have ruled out landed properties.
But in case you’re still considering,
When you’re buying new landed, you’re buying maybe 40% house, 60% land
When you’re buying older landed, you’re buying more of the land, less house.
The difference is in appreciation. The house will depreciate, the land will appreciate.
Depends on what you’re after.
If you don’t mind the current state of the older house, put up with it first, when you save more money, you can always rebuild or renovate, to your likely. Can’t do that with a condo.
Landed is good for own stay in your case, lousy for rental returns.

hopeful
30-12-10, 13:35
I concur :)

But any idea how not to get an old lemon?

At our viewing of Apen Heights:
Agent: "this unit is very well maintained..blah blah blah"
But I saw exposed water pipes in the bedroom toilets...:doh:

Dear Madam, go through your list of needs and wants. Scratch away that is really redundant etc. Add in more criteria if need be, until only a few choices are left.

After you have shortlisted 3-5 projects, then come back to the forum and ask forummers to give their opinions of the 3-5 projects.

Madam, you really need to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking.

moneyspinner
30-12-10, 13:39
The difference is in appreciation. The house will depreciate, the land will appreciate.
If you don’t mind the current state of the older house, put up with it first, when you save more money, you can always rebuild or renovate, to your likely. Can’t do that with a condo.

With due respect, I tend to disagree with the fact that landed is lousy for rental returns. Currently, think you should be able to get returns of at least 1.5 pct p.a. nett in rental yield vs that of < 1 pct p.a. for FDs in banks. To top it all you may gain more in terms of capital appreciation. Not too bad overall.:D

sh
30-12-10, 13:42
With due respect, I tend to disagree with the fact that landed is lousy for rental returns. Currently, think you should be able to get returns of at least 1.5 pct p.a. nett in rental yield vs that of < 1 pct p.a. for FDs in banks. To top it all you may gain more in terms of capital appreciation. Not too bad overall.:D

I'm comparing purely rental returns of landed to condo/apartments, not interest rates :)

Not disputing you on capital appreciation.:)

Eyeo
30-12-10, 14:08
Dear Madam, go through your list of needs and wants. Scratch away that is really redundant etc. Add in more criteria if need be, until only a few choices are left.

After you have shortlisted 3-5 projects, then come back to the forum and ask forummers to give their opinions of the 3-5 projects.

Madam, you really need to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking.
Hahahah sorry sorry, I started the thread with a Urbana versus The Seafront but I guess I was carried away with good suggestions from fellow forumers.

The wishlist of good old Aunty me must have been overwhelming huh, hahahah.

Ok, I will sieve through and hopefully my problem solving and critical thinking skills will be honed at the end of this search.

Cheers!

blackfire
30-12-10, 16:31
Based on your criteria list, I would say The Seaview will meet most if not all of them. With your budget you can get a 3 bedders with rather sizable area. Facilities are great for families, very convenient with nearby amenities and with ample carpark lots. I'm not sure whether the carparks problem has been resolve, but definitely the problem is just some misunderstandings which can be resolve easily since there is no shortage of carparks there in the first place. Anyway if you are prepared to pay for your second car then there is no problem for you. The only issue now is that there are many ongoing new construction near the vicinity, eg The shore, silverseas and maybe paramount hotel, which will last for the next few years. Developments along meyer road is good if seaview is important to you and you don't mind paying a higher price (which translate to a smaller area with your budget) for the address and for a brand new project. Amenities there are also rather limited comparatively.

hopeful
30-12-10, 16:38
Based on your criteria list, I would say The Seaview will meet most if not all of them. ..................
seaview is important to you and you don't mind paying a higher price (which translate to a smaller area with your budget) for the address and for a brand new project. Amenities there are also rather limited comparatively.

Not only Seaview. Based on the madam's criteria,all condo developments that are new, TOP and never occupied before, and have 2BR fit her requirement :doh:With the exception of Orchard Rd new condos, and that's because they exceed her budget of $2million.

mantrix
30-12-10, 16:53
Not only Seaview. Based on the madam's criteria,all condo developments that are new, TOP and never occupied before, and have 2BR fit her requirement :doh:With the exception of Orchard Rd new condos, and that's because they exceed her budget of $2million.

why not the Aston? Still around 1300psf, freehold and 5min to Great World. A 2 bedder PH there going for less than 2M

Eyeo
30-12-10, 18:23
Yup you are correct, landed properties are good for own stay (esp with kids) and has good capital returns. But I have to rule out landed properties. Doubt we can manage the time and effort in maintaining one. :(

Eyeo
30-12-10, 18:35
I must thank everybody for taking the time to post in this thread.

I now see alternatives beyond The Seafront and Urbana that I have narrowed down to when I started this thread. Kudos especially to you who has so generously offered to show your place to me.

Thanks!

nobrainer32007
30-12-10, 22:30
I say, go for Urbana but enter at the right price. You won't regret.

Anyway i intend to add this property to my smallish portfolio. Will revisit this thread in future to see if i am really right, again.

I now see alternatives beyond The Seafront and Urbana that I have narrowed down to r I started this thread. Kudos especially to you who has so generously offered to show your place to me.

Thanks!

Rysk
30-12-10, 23:01
Thanks so much for the list.

After all these rave reviews, I must make some appts to go look see.
Sorry to ask for more but do you have any idea about noise level from the PIE? Which stack would you recommend for a 3 bedder?

Thanks again.

Premium stack should be stack 2, 1625sf, 3-bdr, Type B1
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housing-in-singapore/singapore-property/[email protected]#_self

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1328017/for-sale-the-arte-thomson

But for this stack, try to buy above the sky garden which is on the 24th floor in order to clear the immediate view block by future upcoming project about 16th storey
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/new-homes-listing/ei8ht-raja-583

Since it is back facing PIE, noise level is very low or none from PIE.
You can use one of the common bedroom as your piano room, and at the same time have some privacy rather than disturbing the whole unit if you place the piano in the living area

Alternative
1873sf, 4-bdr, Type C1 (all 4-bdr c/w Pte Lift)
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1475234/for-sale-the-arte-thomson

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1908926/for-sale-the-arte-thomson

But if you strike toto this weekend, maybe you consider this 4-bdr PH:D
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/2789398/for-sale-the-arte-thomson

HP65
31-12-10, 09:42

I now see alternatives beyond The Seafront and Urbana that I have narrowed down to when I started this thread. Kudos especially to you who has so generously offered to show your place to me.

Thanks!

Hi Eyeo,

I'm not sure how important proximity to school (for either registration or convenience) is to you. I suggest you try to determine the school of choice 1st and then look at which place is suitable for you.

Is there any reason why do you choose Urbana in the 1st place as its rather different from the place you seem to be familiar with (East Coast) or due to Coasta Rhu vs Aston's price development experience?

A few years back I went through similar deliberations and finally decided proximity to schools is my most important criteria as I want to send my 2 boys to either Nanyang Pri or Henry Park. And since I find it more interesting to volunteer in a community than a school, I joined the NC (Private Residences version of RC) and also bought a landed place at Ming Teck Park. At 1 time, I was considering RV area as its within Tanjong Pagar GRC and you probably know there are many good schools (boys and girls) within that GRC, if you serve in the NC).

If proximity to schools is not an issue either due to OBA or religious affliliations, then I agree with many of the other forummers suggestion above on how to find a ppty.

Happy hunting!

Eyeo
31-12-10, 10:13
Premium stack should be stack 2, 1625sf, 3-bdr, Type B1
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housing-in-singapore/singapore-property/[email protected]#_self

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1328017/for-sale-the-arte-thomson

But for this stack, try to buy above the sky garden which is on the 24th floor in order to clear the immediate view block by future upcoming project about 16th storey
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/new-homes-listing/ei8ht-raja-583

Since it is back facing PIE, noise level is very low or none from PIE.
You can use one of the common bedroom as your piano room, and at the same time have some privacy rather than disturbing the whole unit if you place the piano in the living area

Alternative
1873sf, 4-bdr, Type C1 (all 4-bdr c/w Pte Lift)
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1475234/for-sale-the-arte-thomson

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1908926/for-sale-the-arte-thomson

But if you strike toto this weekend, maybe you consider this 4-bdr PH:D
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/2789398/for-sale-the-arte-thomson
Really appreciate your taking time out to gather all the valuable information. Thanks so much!

Eyeo
31-12-10, 10:28
Hi Eyeo,

I'm not sure how important proximity to school (for either registration or convenience) is to you. I suggest you try to determine the school of choice 1st and then look at which place is suitable for you.

Is there any reason why do you choose Urbana in the 1st place as its rather different from the place you seem to be familiar with (East Coast) or due to Coasta Rhu vs Aston's price development experience?

A few years back I went through similar deliberations and finally decided proximity to schools is my most important criteria as I want to send my 2 boys to either Nanyang Pri or Henry Park. And since I find it more interesting to volunteer in a community than a school, I joined the NC (Private Residences version of RC) and also bought a landed place at Ming Teck Park. At 1 time, I was considering RV area as its within Tanjong Pagar GRC and you probably know there are many good schools (boys and girls) within that GRC, if you serve in the NC).

If proximity to schools is not an issue either due to OBA or religious affliliations, then I agree with many of the other forummers suggestion above on how to find a ppty.

Happy hunting!
I am very touched by your post. It takes a parent to understand what another parent is going through.

Proximity to choice school is definitely important. However with the influx of rich foreigners and with admission criteria changing all the time, we have put it as a good to have. I came from a ne

Eyeo
31-12-10, 10:43
Hi Eyeo,

Happy hunting!
I am very touched by your post. It takes a parent to understand what another parent is going through.

Proximity to choice school is definitely important. However with the influx of rich foreigners and with admission criteria changing all the time, we have put it as a good to have. I came from a neighborhood school and turned out ok. So I guess he should be fine :). If I fail to get him into a 'good' primary school, I hope my son works his way to a choice secondary school himself.

HP65
31-12-10, 12:20

Proximity to choice school is definitely important. However with the influx of rich foreigners and with admission criteria changing all the time, we have put it as a good to have. I came from a neighborhood school and turned out ok. So I guess he should be fine :). If I fail to get him into a 'good' primary school, I hope my son works his way to a choice secondary school himself.

Aiyo, no worries and you're welcome. We are here to share info. I was from a christian boys school but managed to squeeze into a top secondary boy school, earning the tag of traitor among my close friends. The reason for a good school is not only because of the education but also the OBA. It is also because of the influx of FTs that I feel the importance of networking. From my own experience, I benefited a lot from my OBA, and its all above-board.

If just based on good teachers, education, imo, some of the neighbourhood schools are very good, if not better than some of the established schools. Eg, Endeavor Pri vs Fairfield. This is because the principals are usually young and ambitious as they are eager to climb up the career ladder. You will hear of surprisingly good results from such schools, which i have to add, is also partly due to FTs and PRs who did not manage to get into the more popular primary schools.

But with good primary schools, besides good education, the network is going to come in handly i'm sure in the years to come. Call me kiasu, but I think its just trying to give my best to my kids. And I believe the education of `school of hard knocks' can come from we parents making sure that our kids know we are not their safety nets and inculcating the right discipline right from the start.

Happy New Year!

repanse71
31-12-10, 13:35
Newton Euro-Asia the estate looks quite shabby (landscaping & building not well managed?). Why not look at Novena Suites, The Hungtington, Thomson Euro-Asia, Soleil side? Just beside MRT and 3 shopping malls all within 2 mins distance. Your son can get 1 km priority P1 registration to get into SJI Junior (100% can get in, no need balloting) (Mah Boh Tan's school?). :D

I am still waiting patiently for either The Hungtington or Thomson Euro-Asia. I believe in 2 or 3 quarters, maybe by a year, price would peak and have a small correction.

I hope my half a million cash + CPF is enough to snag a nice 3+1, either 1292sqft or 1356sqft @ 1.4k psf max.

Regards

devilplate
31-12-10, 13:40
I am still waiting patiently for either The Hungtington or Thomson Euro-Asia. I believe in 2 or 3 quarters, maybe by a year, price would peak and have a small correction.

I hope my half a million cash + CPF is enough to snag a nice 3+1, either 1292sqft or 1356sqft @ 1.4k psf max.

Regards
Wat abt sky11...1200psf for 30+flr got chance anot...hehe

repanse71
31-12-10, 13:54

Is a good school important in primary school stage?

I took a break last year to try teaching. I was posted to a neighbourhood school in the west teaching primary 2.

Many of my peers are naturally horrified with my experience. Many P2 kids (about 20%) from lower income regardless of races cannot listen, speak and read English properly. Almost every other morning, I need to tutor 2-3 kids for them to really learn. This is quite typical of many neighbourhood schools. I would give Ng Eng Hen a good black eye for painting goody goody pictures. I believe we need more part time tutors (retirees and semi retirees) to help teachers, even if teacher-student ratio is down to 30.

Sorry, I am digressing.
I have a few students whose parents are very well off (arriving by BMWs/Mercs... staying in suburban condo). They are all well-behaved, keen to learn, learn fast and always helping the slower students.

I also have such well-off kids who are lazy and obnoxious.

My point is the question should be what kind of parent you want to be. With good parental support, kids would blossom as well in neighbourhood schools. I believe you are not bochap. But for bochap parents, top schools would mask child problem beneath the surface and would be hard to correct later.

IMHO, the benefits of networking... starts in secondary school onwards.
In primary school stages, academic excellence is secondary to good upbringing.

regards

repanse71
31-12-10, 13:55

Got chance too. But 1.2k psf a bit too off.

urban
31-12-10, 14:27
You can consider Parc Seabreeze. Some of the units are still available from the developer. TOP likely to be end 2011. Just opposite Church of Singapore and facing Parkway.

*disclaimer, i have an unit there.

hopeful
31-12-10, 14:57
I........
IMHO, the benefits of networking... starts in secondary school onwards.
In primary school stages, academic excellence is secondary to good upbringing.

regards
Teaching the child the right attitude, street skills are more important than academic results.
Bring the children to the destitute. Tell the children why the persons are destitute. And the parents will rotan the child less. The children now has internal motivation to avoid the same fate as the destitute.
I like my children to mix around with the poorer, the lower caste.
In JC, University, the children would automatically have chances to meet the educated as a result of filtering by education system. I don't expect to see the uneducated in university.
Reasons are 2 fold:
1) The lower caste are more likely to know the ins and outs of the system, the backalleys so to speak.
2) The lower caste are more likely to inflict bodily harm / go out of the system for a certain incentive.
Would periodically remind the child to maintain relations with the lower caste friends, they have their uses.
Once in JC, Uni, unlikely to meet the lower caste anymore.

devilplate
31-12-10, 15:00
Teaching the child the right attitude, street skills are more important than academic results.
Bring the children to the destitute. Tell the children why the persons are destitute. And the parents will rotan the child less. The children now has internal motivation to avoid the same fate as the destitute.
I like my children to mix around with the poorer, the lower caste.
In JC, University, the children would automatically have chances to meet the educated as a result of filtering by education system. I don't expect to see the uneducated in university.
Reasons are 2 fold:
1) The lower caste are more likely to know the ins and outs of the system, the backalleys so to speak.
2) The lower caste are more likely to inflict bodily harm / go out of the system for a certain incentive.
Would periodically remind the child to maintain relations with the lower caste friends, they have their uses.
Once in JC, Uni, unlikely to meet the lower caste anymore.

street smart+academic smart? hehe

but parents here r very worried tat their kids become ah beng/ah lian....so mentality is to enter gd schools to minimise the probability.....not all kids r strong willed mah

Eyeo
31-12-10, 15:10
street smart+academic smart? hehe

but parents here r very worried tat their kids become ah beng/ah lian....so mentality is to enter gd schools to minimise the probability.....not all kids r strong willed mahthat is why it is true that family values and parenting is impt. During our generation, keeping us under lock and key was safe enough. This generation, bad influences have no physical presence...they are on line and in cyber world

teddybear
31-12-10, 17:33
Sky11? That lousy location smacked in the middle of HDB? What "11"? Should it really be "Sky @Toa Payoh"? :p

devilplate
31-12-10, 18:07
Sky11? That lousy location smacked in the middle of HDB? What "11"? Should it really be "Sky @Toa Payoh"? :p

tok more!!! drop to 1200psf i ON:D

teddybear
31-12-10, 19:41
Why the rental yield so BAD!:doh:
for own stay or investment?
own stay - not convenience leh..:tsk-tsk:
investment! :banghead:

tok more!!! drop to 1200psf i ON:D

devilplate
31-12-10, 19:46
Why the rental yield so BAD!:doh:
for own stay or investment?
own stay - not convenience leh..:tsk-tsk:
investment! :banghead:
I like the view, layout n the facilities leh
Yield cfm lousy bcoz size too big liao

teddybear
31-12-10, 19:57
I avoid this type of view - totally open and bad Feng Shui - money leaking type....:beats-me-man:

I like the view, layout n the facilities leh
Yield cfm lousy bcoz size too big liao

devilplate
31-12-10, 20:04
I avoid this type of view - totally open and bad Feng Shui - money leaking type....:beats-me-man:
Hehe den the owners there leak more money till firesale... ;)

land118
01-01-11, 12:37
why not the Aston? Still around 1300psf, freehold and 5min to Great World. A 2 bedder PH there going for less than 2M

Are you share with me any info on The Aston? Look like a decent condo, FH but in property guru, have 15 listing for sales. Total units in this development is 80 units. Location quite convenient except it is at a cross road junction. 1 bedded, rental seem to be $3k, few sellers asking for $900k+ ( bat$1400 psf ). Am a bit puzzled, at current price asking, seem quite ok, but why quite many are selling? Rental yield is low? Can shed some light if u have. Thx

devilplate
01-01-11, 13:51
Are you share with me any info on The Aston? Look like a decent condo, FH but in property guru, have 15 listing for sales. Total units in this development is 80 units. Location quite convenient except it is at a cross road junction. 1 bedded, rental seem to be $3k, few sellers asking for $900k+ ( bat$1400 psf ). Am a bit puzzled, at current price asking, seem quite ok, but why quite many are selling? Rental yield is low? Can shed some light if u have. Thx

anytime go for this one....i was quoted tennery pool facing 1bedder, 614sqft, 80xk after discount:scared-3:

kskong2000
01-01-11, 22:47
few month back, i were thinking to buy an small unit while waiting for the TOP of my new apartment. after search for a while and do some calculation, i just feel that now might not be a right time to enter given the fact that we are looking at 10 to 20 % upside but much more dowside, unless you are profeesional property investor who pay close look at the market and in out very frequently.
Ppl always say buy low and sell high. I personally feel you can practise this by at least own 2 property. otherwise, will just end up sell high, buy higher.
So my 2 cents suggestion are:
1) wait
2) split your budget to get 2 property. Suffer now but enjoy later as ur have more chips to play..
I am not sure whether i am right....sorry to tell my lousy view in front of so many expact...
happy new year

devilplate
01-01-11, 22:54
Buy low sell high more applicable to stocks... Treat ppty as a form of wealth acumulation will b better:2cents:

sh
01-01-11, 23:09
few month back, i were thinking to buy an small unit while waiting for the TOP of my new apartment. after search for a while and do some calculation, i just feel that now might not be a right time to enter given the fact that we are looking at 10 to 20 % upside but much more dowside, unless you are profeesional property investor who pay close look at the market and in out very frequently.
Ppl always say buy low and sell high. I personally feel you can practise this by at least own 2 property. otherwise, will just end up sell high, buy higher.
So my 2 cents suggestion are:
1) wait
2) split your budget to get 2 property. Suffer now but enjoy later as ur have more chips to play..
I am not sure whether i am right....sorry to tell my lousy view in front of so many expact...
happy new year

cannot in and out quickly for property lah... all your profit will go to garment (stamp duty), lawyers and agents.:(

Have to have at least medium to long term investor for property, so paying close look daily ain't gonna make a difference.

You're right in that you can only make money from property if you have more than 1 property. 1 for staying (don't make money no matter how high prices go) and 1 or more for investing....:D

DaytonaSS
01-01-11, 23:52
cannot in and out quickly for property lah... all your profit will go to garment (stamp duty), lawyers and agents.:(

Have to have at least medium to long term investor for property, so paying close look daily ain't gonna make a difference.

You're right in that you can only make money from property if you have more than 1 property. 1 for staying (don't make money no matter how high prices go) and 1 or more for investing....:D

if the crisis that happen only once in 100 years didnt crash the property market, chances are.... days of fire sale is probably not going to happen soon(1-2 years)

agree on the long term view part. i think in 5 years time, Singapore private property price will be at a price lvl at least 15-20% higher from now. This is of cos on the basics that we are pushing our population towards 7m. We are only 2m more away.

kingkong1984
02-01-11, 07:26
Inflation will do it alone.
Hdb prices will support it.
Private 2 bedders are 2x of 3 room hdbs in the same area.
Go for smallest unit.