PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand cars enjoy brisk sales

devilplate
12-12-10, 10:04
i was browsing thru sgcarmart for VW passat cc.....all SOLD....wah liu:doh:

land118
12-12-10, 11:09
i was browsing thru sgcarmart for VW passat cc.....all SOLD....wah liu:doh: suppose German brands are in demand, more value for $

2day Sunday times, pg 14

land118
12-12-10, 11:16
See Sunday times classified 346, list of VW is short...

azeoprop
12-12-10, 11:51
Looks like I can forget about owning the new 2011 Jetta liaoz... :doh:

land118
12-12-10, 11:57
Looks like I can forget about owning the new 2011 Jetta liaoz... :doh:
Jetta has good reviews, 1.4 l,yet handle like a 2l car

devilplate
12-12-10, 12:50
the new Jetta 2011 looks like the new Polo....abit boring....just abit wider abit longer

Wild Falcon
12-12-10, 14:34
VW = Boring. All look the same. The Scirocco is like a squashed up Golf. The Polo is like a mini Golf. But it's a safe choice and becoming very popular. Even the cabrio EOS looks boring - I have no idea how any carmaker can make a cabrio look that ugly and uninspiring.

august
12-12-10, 15:04
Volkswagen means "people's car" in German

hyenergix
12-12-10, 16:00
VW was one of the Nazi war machines...

http://mondediplo.com/1998/01/11volkswag

sh
12-12-10, 17:01
VW was one of the Nazi war machines...

http://mondediplo.com/1998/01/11volkswag

so is toyota, honda, BMW, Benz and every other Jap and german car maker....

sufri
12-12-10, 18:59
I drive the jetta 1.4L TSI 2008 version. Nice pickup and decent low torque , but abit tight for 3 big adults at back seat. Getting a bit common on the road already, got to change to other car...heh

kingkong1984
14-12-10, 10:25
This is parallel to new home sales. New homes and cars more expansive, resale sub sale no worry.

skyhigh
28-12-10, 12:44
Be careful with VW.
The 7-speed DSG has been giving problems and folks are having to change mechatronics and what-nots.
Mainly Golf and Jetta victims with some Passat CCs.
I have had 3 VWs and that is enough.
My Golf stalled when I was leaving the Balmeg showflat, ya, going down the steep slope......

devilplate
28-12-10, 12:59
Be careful with VW.
The 7-speed DSG has been giving problems and folks are having to change mechatronics and what-nots.
Mainly Golf and Jetta victims with some Passat CCs.
I have had 3 VWs and that is enough.
My Golf stalled when I was leaving the Balmeg showflat, ya, going down the steep slope......

wow...u so on VW...got problems still bot 3 from them!

ya i heard 7speed gear box got prob,....their 6speed ok

Regulators
28-12-10, 23:01
my friend bought the new jetta 7 speed dsg, has any fault been reported so far?

wow...u so on VW...got problems still bot 3 from them!

ya i heard 7speed gear box got prob,....their 6speed ok

TS
29-12-10, 07:12
my friend bought the new jetta 7 speed dsg, has any fault been reported so far?

Go VAG forum and you will see tons them experiencing this problem. I am surprise that the they are allowed to wait for failure before doing something. Wait till a car fails at high speed....:scared-5:

sufri
29-12-10, 08:48
Wow, scary stuff
my jetta is 6 speed, 2 years old. I did experience an engine stall while driving up a slope at gear 1 and 2. Was shocked. Happened only once though.

maisonjai
29-12-10, 09:31
my relative's 7speed scirocco changed gearbox twice in 1 year. 6speed better & are found in their higher bhp models.:cool:

devilplate
29-12-10, 09:40
my relative's 7speed scirocco changed gearbox twice in 1 year. 6speed better & are found in their higher bhp models.:cool:

tats scary...scriocco 1.4 version by itself oredi a BIG problem....must die die get 2L version BUT price varies too much.....

7spd cannot support higher BHP...tats y...

kingkong1984
29-12-10, 09:44
a lot of rotten cars in sgcarmart lately... and sellers asking high high too. Buy now? hahaha

sufri
29-12-10, 10:10
what do u guys think of a 2006 alfa romeo GT 2.0L? any good?

devilplate
29-12-10, 10:13
what do u guys think of a 2006 alfa romeo GT 2.0L? any good?

alfa no resale value wor...drive till scrap and hope give u no problems

sufri
29-12-10, 10:51

Oh ok thanks for the input.
What do you think of second-hand BMW 2.0 or 2.5L 3 series coupe/cabriolet?
good resale? if cabriolet, will the open-roof mechanism give problems?

Regulators
29-12-10, 10:59
entry level bmw sucks when it comes to interior, very plasticky. if i were to recommend a car, it will have to be the lexus IS250 for those with 1xxk to spare. car has very good dampening, very smooth gear change, powerful at 200hp and there is executive feel to it

devilplate
29-12-10, 11:13
entry level bmw sucks when it comes to interior, very plasticky. if i were to recommend a car, it will have to be the lexus IS250 for those with 1xxk to spare. car has very good dampening, very smooth gear change, powerful at 200hp and there is executive feel to it

tot toyota got recall problems..? lexus got anot ar?

i tink car's reliability most impt...

i only feel lexusIS250 back seat damn cramp

devilplate
29-12-10, 11:14
Oh ok thanks for the input.
What do you think of second-hand BMW 2.0 or 2.5L 3 series coupe/cabriolet?
good resale? if cabriolet, will the open-roof mechanism give problems?

get 2nd hand 523/525 if u like BM badge....

Regulators
29-12-10, 11:21
yeah i think toyota compensated a lexus driver's family 13 mil recently in a court battle, but i am not sure if it is the IS250. The IS250 model has been around for more than 6 years and they have only facelifted the car all these years. The back is a bit cramp but the luxury is mainly intended for the driver and front passenger. The seats are also airconditioned, something many car dont have.

tot toyota got recall problems..? lexus got anot ar?

i tink car's reliability most impt...

i only feel lexusIS250 back seat damn cramp

maisonjai
29-12-10, 12:55
tats scary...scriocco 1.4 version by itself oredi a BIG problem....must die die get 2L version BUT price varies too much.....

u R-series fan? :D

hv u test out the Tesla, that will give u 1 more reason to buy landed. hee

sufri
29-12-10, 14:43
get 2nd hand 523/525 if u like BM badge....
i already have a sedan as a family car so i am not looking at 5 series.
3 series for me is still ok but must be coupe.
Lexus 250 looks reliable but still a sedan.
any good reliable 2nd coupe can recommend <$150K ?

ay123
29-12-10, 14:51
property price 20% govt intro measure to curb. COE skyrocket, govt said no intention to amend current situation. WTF!!!

devilplate
29-12-10, 15:01

how about smthing like this....road tax quote xiong though

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=105240&DL=2014

august
29-12-10, 15:07

i find the mx-5 miata more classic ~ :o

proud owner
29-12-10, 15:33

any recommendation ?

whats a good and cheap car ?

to me ..its to get from A to B ..no need fanciful type

devilplate
29-12-10, 15:57
any recommendation ?

y u kapo here???

ppl asking for 2nd coupe car la:doh:

teddybear
29-12-10, 17:14
Why you like that? :tsk-tsk:
People in forum are mostly kaypoh a bit, otherwise won't spend time here. :p

y u kapo here???

spikey69
29-12-10, 17:24
no resale value? i think lately the perception and value of alfa has risen significantly

devilplate
29-12-10, 17:47
no resale value? i think lately the perception and value of alfa has risen significantly

realli? but hor, the design relli looks like a V hole in front

proud owner
30-12-10, 00:41
y u kapo here???

wapiang you so unfriendly

i seriously need to know mah

am considerng buying a Cheap and good value car ...for use when i am back in spore lor ...

otherwise everytime i am back i have to rent a car

maisonjai
30-12-10, 08:07

squeeze a bit more & get this
http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=145109&DL=1000

ay123
30-12-10, 09:08

am considerng buying a Cheap and good value car ...for use when i am back in spore lor ...

china car lor......cheapest and can meet yr requirement.....A to B :D

august
30-12-10, 09:11

how about the nissan leaf, zero emission!

hopeful
30-12-10, 09:23
so is toyota, honda, BMW, Benz and every other Jap and german car maker....

BMW, Benz and every other German car maker for German war machine....
Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi and every other Jap car maker for Jap war machine....not German

hopeful
30-12-10, 09:29
Singaporeans doesn't like MPV? IMO, MPV give best value for money. Like Avanza, Innova. Best seller in Indonesia. Maybe because of bad road conditions and can seat 8 person.

devilplate
30-12-10, 09:52
Singaporeans doesn't like MPV? IMO, MPV give best value for money. Like Avanza, Innova. Best seller in Indonesia. Maybe because of bad road conditions and can seat 8 person.

MPV like toyota wish vy popular in SG

sufri
30-12-10, 13:51

Thanks for recommendation.
yeah road tax is a killer...hmm maybe i just wait for price of 320 or 325 bmw coupe to depreciate a few months more. I prefer a coupe with 2+2 seating arrangement so that at least my daughter can sit behind. My wife warned me a 2 seater is a no-no...selfish car :(

sufri
30-12-10, 13:57
squeeze a bit more & get this
http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=145109&DL=1000

wow a real head-turner but too pricey for my pocket
plus it is a strictly 2 seater. Prefer 2+2 auto.

kingkong1984
30-12-10, 17:17
wow a real head-turner but too pricey for my pocket
plus it is a strictly 2 seater. Prefer 2+2 auto.

sorry about this car.. stuck in the market for over 2 or 3 years.... noticed this a long time ago.

Still stuck!

why?

Go figure...

devilplate
30-12-10, 17:22
sorry about this car.. stuck in the market for over 2 or 3 years.... noticed this a long time ago.

Still stuck!

why?

Go figure...

my 1st impression was: wow impressive....but to own it....can find spare part or not

maisonjai
30-12-10, 21:59
my 1st impression was: wow impressive....but to own it....can find spare part or not

if kaput just subsale...next owner pls "1 & only in Spore, JB & some say Batam" :D. jokes aside, car is another subjective topic. Someone once said to me 'after u locked ur car, walk a few steps & u turn back to look @ it, that's the car for u' :spliff:

HP65
31-12-10, 10:40
If you can live with a strict 2 seater, I suggest getting a COE Porsche Boxster. Fun, easy to maintain and great resale value. There are lots of suckers out the for a Porky (me included). Once you have driven 1, you will be loyal to it for life!

Its also easy to sell (thus the great resale value). My SE from Porsche was darn confident of taking in my car and its at way higher than what my own network of used car dealers can offer.

HP65
31-12-10, 10:52
any recommendation ?

There is no cheap car now in Sg. What you pay for in Sg for a Hyundai probably can get you a Merc Mid-size saloon. Its still better to rent.

However if you still want to get, then is safety top priority? If yes, get the VW Polo. Safe and efficient. Otherwise, get a Kia, pretty good value for $$.

kingkong1984
31-12-10, 10:54
good value for killed in action

Regulators
31-12-10, 11:30
this is a good buy?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=129809&DL=1059

HP65
31-12-10, 11:53
this is a good buy?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=129809&DL=1059

Price wise yes, reason being its an imported used car. History very hard to trace. A local or even a PI Porky you probably can ask around to see if its been through any major accident or not. The Porsche Club members are pretty helpful and some of them seems to know every Porsche in Sg.

kingkong1984
31-12-10, 13:42
These were stuck for a very long time. 2 years or so

just curious to know the background.

won't touch them at all.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=69448&DL=1220

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=74631&DL=1397

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=75835&DL=1117

sufri
31-12-10, 18:58
If you can live with a strict 2 seater, I suggest getting a COE Porsche Boxster. Fun, easy to maintain and great resale value. There are lots of suckers out the for a Porky (me included). Once you have driven 1, you will be loyal to it for life!

Its also easy to sell (thus the great resale value). My SE from Porsche was darn confident of taking in my car and its at way higher than what my own network of used car dealers can offer.

Thanks for recommedation! wow i never thought Porky 2nd hand can be relatively affordable. hmm...maybe i just need to convince my wife to bend the rules and allow me to drive a 2 seater :)

sufri
31-12-10, 19:26
HP 55, which porky model are u driving now?
how is the FC and maintenance cost like?
i am drooling at the boxster...that is the only one i can afford...haha.

proud owner
03-01-11, 18:13

not getting a reply right ???

thats becos theres no one named HP55

:tongue3:

orange
03-01-11, 18:59
Thanks for recommendation.
yeah road tax is a killer...hmm maybe i just wait for price of 320 or 325 bmw coupe to depreciate a few months more. I prefer a coupe with 2+2 seating arrangement so that at least my daughter can sit behind. My wife warned me a 2 seater is a no-no...selfish car :(

I used to drive a 335i.

If you want to drive a bmw, please make sure you have enough money for maintenance and other mechanical issues. It is never fuss free and cheap to maintain. Buying one is a long term commitment.

I have seen enough BMW owners banging tables and bitching about the maintenance. What did they expect? A toyota?

orange
03-01-11, 19:03
20+ years old turbocharged 4 cylinder porsches? They are a joy to drive but please be prepared for the maintenance bills.

This is something many don't understand. Japanese cars are popular for a reason, despite their bland exterior and average performance. You do not expect German sports cars or sporty cars to be as reliable and cheap to maintain as the Japanese cars.

Once you can get past that mental and financial hurdle, you will enjoy owning and driving a German thoroughbred.

These were stuck for a very long time. 2 years or so

just curious to know the background.

won't touch them at all.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=69448&DL=1220

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=74631&DL=1397

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=75835&DL=1117

orange
03-01-11, 19:05

The fried egg headlights? Errr........

HP65
04-01-11, 13:48

Driving the Cayenne Tip S. As for FC, I'm still running-in. I pump about $160 each time, drive about 650km between pumps. Slightly more thirsty than the previous generation E Class E230. The E Class I pump about $130 but return the same mileage of 650km between pumps.

Haven't gone for any servicing but i think it should be the usual.

Yeah, the boxster is a fun car and relatively cheap Porsche to drive. Porsche purist scorn at it for diluting the brand but that was what I could afford 8 years ago. If not because my wife wanted a `higher' car to fetch the kids c/w the E230, I would continue to drive the boxster until its time to retire it. I'm actually now on a lookout for a 2 seater as the E230 is too sedate and inefficient for me.

HP65
04-01-11, 13:51
The fried egg headlights? Errr........

I didnt think of that :ashamed1: ya, it does looks a lot like fried egg. My other ride, the E Class, the used car dealer calls it Big-Small eye.

focus
04-01-11, 17:01
I'm actually now on a lookout for a 2 seater as the E230 is too sedate and inefficient for me.

Stick to your Porsche. A cayman or Boxster Spyder? :)

I can only drool .. they are too expensive for me. Z4 I also find very hard to buy at this type of price.

land118
05-01-11, 22:43
COE prices lower in most categories
By Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid | Posted: 05 January 2011 1632 hrs
Photos 1*of 1

Car showroom
*Video

COE prices lower in most categories

* Twitter Messenger
SINGAPORE: After hitting record highs in 2010, Certificates of Entitlement (COE) premiums for most categories were down in the first bidding exercise for this year.

But dealers say this could be temporary.

They expect premiums to go up again next month.

Premium for big cars was a record S$72,000 in the previous bidding exercise. The category was down by S$3001 this month, to close at S$69,000.

The open category fell marginally by S$313 to S$75 789.

The biggest drop was in category A for small cars.

COE prices closed at S$38,889, down S$7,240.

Dealers said they were not surprised by the drop in COE prices.

They said sales had been slow in the last two weeks -- something that's not very unusual during the holiday season.

In fact, dealers said they had expected the premium for category A to have gone down even lower.

Mohamed Taifoor Motoring owner Mohamed Taifoor said: "The COE for category A has gone up very high, so a car for category A can cost about S$100,000, S$103,000 or S$110,00.

"This works out to... about S$1000 a month, if you take (a) full loan. So, this deprives the buyer to buy and (as a result) the COE came down to S$38,000. In fact, we think it will come down to S$35,000".

Others agree it's temporary reprieve.

Singapore Vehicle Traders Association honorary secretary Raymond Tang said: "I sincerely think that this is a correction period, for the next round this mid-January, the announcement of the COE will be even lesser. I believe that the COE in the mid-year might go up".

With high COEs, buyers are veering towards the used car market which has helped small companies like Mohamed Taifoor Motoring.

Some customers such as 43-year-old Ismail Kasmani are also saving by giving up driving two cars.

"I sold the two cars for the advantage of the second hand car, which is presumably more affordable," he said.

Major players like Tan Chong Motor Sales said it is also focussing more on commercial vehicles, which now make up almost 60 per cent of sales.

Tan Chong Motor Sales' Sales & Marketing general manager Ron Lim said: "Customer loyalty for commercial vehicles is usually stronger because once they are comfortable with the vehicle, they continue to support us.

"The other fact is that looking at our projection, the COE for cat C moving forward, is not likely to see much of fluctuations".

COE prices for motorcycles now stand at S$1,503.

That's a drop of S$48, compared to the previous bidding exercise.

Premiums for Category C or goods vehicles were the only ones that rose this time.

The category saw an increase of S$1,610 to close at S$35,111.

-CNA/wk

kingkong1984
06-01-11, 03:46
COE demand and supply mismatch means biz opportunity. Cat B had increased so much that it is double pricing for the same car within 2 years.

Cat B will likely hit above 100k in Dec 11 if quota remained small.

devilplate
06-01-11, 09:04
COE demand and supply mismatch means biz opportunity. Cat B had increased so much that it is double pricing for the same car within 2 years.

Cat B will likely hit above 100k in Dec 11 if quota remained small.

whr got double in pricing....dun exaggerate....for big cars...around 50% increase nia.....tink about 50% too for smaller cars

kingkong1984
06-01-11, 09:19
Got, Japanses Cars, go find Cat B car prices in 09 and compare it with 11.

Check out Honda's

devilplate
06-01-11, 09:24
Got, Japanses Cars, go find Cat B car prices in 09 and compare it with 11.

Check out Honda's

honda accord? i duno hw much last time leh....i only noe some german makes pricing for bigger cars:o

teddybear
06-01-11, 10:33
Almost double for mid-size cars! Camry 2.4L in early 2009 is just $84k +/- (at that time COE $2k). Now going for $150k-160k woh! :banghead:
Altis in early 2009 is just $56k +/-. Now going for about $90k woh! :doh:

whr got double in pricing....dun exaggerate....for big cars...around 50% increase nia.....tink about 50% too for smaller cars

devilplate
06-01-11, 10:44
Almost double for mid-size cars! Camry 2.4L in early 2009 is just $84k +/- (at that time COE $2k). Now going for $150k-160k woh! :banghead:
Altis in early 2009 is just $56k +/-. Now going for about $90k woh! :doh:

150k is listed price i tink....jus like BMW 3series listed and actual pricing difference by almost 20k.....7series worse...can give 50-70k overtrade...lol

devilplate
06-01-11, 11:04
hmmm...jap cars rose more den german makes...due to YEN....make more sense to buy german make now....totally different quality too

kingkong1984
06-01-11, 11:25
That is correct. Yen Up, COE Up, Jap Car Price up. But Resale value very good as it goes up too. Second hand car dealers are happy.

So more demand for New European Cars. VW etc...

So as a base line.. what is $100k profit for MM? Must got for more $300k.