PDA

View Full Version : 1 to 2 months rent - how much?

spikey69
07-11-10, 23:51
Hi
My seller is requesting to rent the unit that I have purchased from him for 1 to 2 mths as his new home is not ready yet. The monthly rental asking price for the unit is $5000 to $6000 per month over 12 months.

Given that I now have to find or extend alternate accommodation and noting that there is usually an additional premium for short term rental, how much rent should I charge?

I am thinking of asking $2000/week for 4 weeks and then increase by $200 per week thereafter. Comments?

Lord Anus
08-11-10, 00:10
Hi
My seller is requesting to rent the unit that I have purchased from him for 1 to 2 mths as his new home is not ready yet. The monthly rental asking price for the unit is $5000 to $6000 per month over 12 months.

Given that I now have to find or extend alternate accommodation and noting that there is usually an additional premium for short term rental, how much rent should I charge?

I am thinking of asking $2000/week for 4 weeks and then increase by $200 per week thereafter. Comments?

go for it...

kill! kill! kill!

spikey69
08-11-10, 00:31
go for it...

kill! kill! kill!

haha...i like...must squeeze as much as possible as reimbursement for my inconvenience.

Komo
08-11-10, 06:00
Ask for deposit also. Put in stock market! :D

Geylang OKT
08-11-10, 09:44
Hi

Can say No also mah :D

You squeeze him too tight... later you better check your toilet cisterns and sinks are not choked... and your kitchen and bedroom cabinets do not collapse when he leaves. :D

sfwoo
08-11-10, 11:21
I had a neighbour ask me to rent him for 2 to 6 months, cos he took profit, and still house hunting...

I told him, "No."

He never talk to me again.

Very hard to do, short leases...

Unless whack very hard to get some back, but then leave bad taste in mouth all around.

zzz1
08-11-10, 12:37
Hi

I had the same situation before but as a seller, I had put up during OTP and signed separate tenancy agreement, a deal as a whole package. The rate is based on the fully furbished rate just to sweeten the deal.

The other instance facing the same case, a seller requested for 1.5 months for their other unit to complete the renovation. It was based on the same, fully furnished rate.

In short, I go for market rate..

devilplate
08-11-10, 13:00
better dun squeeze high high...u gona takeover the hse anyw...unless u intend to do reno lor...lol

either agree on prevailing market rates or say NO(just make up some excuses)

zzz1
08-11-10, 14:36
I had a neighbour ask me to rent him for 2 to 6 months, cos he took profit, and still house hunting...

I told him, "No."

He never talk to me again.

Very hard to do, short leases...

Unless whack very hard to get some back, but then leave bad taste in mouth all around.

****Del *****

Concours
08-11-10, 15:10
Hi

It would not be nice if he feedback to your future neighbours that your a miser squeezing blood from stone.

In life, its best to accomodate if possible. No point trying to make this small kill and spoil your reputation. It may come back to haunt you in the future.

Lord Anus
08-11-10, 15:35
why u all so kiasee?

the seller already made a killing off TS. i am sure his profit is substantial. but that is besides the point, although it is worth noting.

now he is inconveniencing TS by impeding his moving in. TS got to find alternative accomodation.

life should be fair what.

acidic.straw
08-11-10, 16:24
Hi

It is only fair to ask for premium as it is short term and inconveniencing you. But it is good to be upfront and explain clearly and the basis you use for arriving at the numbers eg market rate + x% premium for short term lease and inconvenience. Go for win-win and both will emerge happier. He will benefit from not going thru the hassle of moving out and you will benefit from the extra $$.

spikey69
08-11-10, 18:44
Fortunately or not, I am literally demolishing almost every wall and toilet in a complete reno...as some of u guys have highlighted, i am concerned about what he may do to the house and what the neighbors would think.

However, it does really inconvenience me by giving me late notice...I need to find my own premises for an additional month or two, whilst coping with paying off rental for my temporary premises whilst the installments for my new place kick off. I have actually already done a long completion for this property (bought it a few months ago) to accommodate the need for his longer stay.

I have been in their situation before - but the seller was adamant about me moving out. Did not even want to talk about rental, which did a sour taste in my mouth (but then again, I neglected to tell him about some major repairs that he needed to do when he bought the place :ashamed1: ).

Will be seeing my lawyer this week and seek final advice.

zzz1
08-11-10, 20:07
Fortunately or not, I am literally demolishing almost every wall and toilet in a complete reno...as some of u guys have highlighted, i am concerned about what he may do to the house and what the neighbors would think.

However, it does really inconvenience me by giving me late notice...I need to find my own premises for an additional month or two, whilst coping with paying off rental for my temporary premises whilst the installments for my new place kick off. I have actually already done a long completion for this property (bought it a few months ago) to accommodate the need for his longer stay.

I have been in their situation before - but the seller was adamant about me moving out. Did not even want to talk about rental, which did a sour taste in my mouth (but then again, I neglected to tell him about some major repairs that he needed to do when he bought the place :ashamed1: ).

In this respect, you may simply reject him upright since it will be inconvenienct to you. Don see the reason to accommodate him at your inconvenience...

It not easy to find a 2-3month rental , the hassel of hse moving etc..

Geylang OKT
08-11-10, 21:49

Simply say NO to him. Say you consulted your feng shui master and his advice to you is to move in even before the actual completion date to avoid some calamity or something like that :D :D :D

Turn the tables on him. ;) ;) ;)

Ask him if you can move in earlier instead! :D :D :D

Geylang OKT
08-11-10, 21:54

No worries on that count. :D :D :D

It is "caveat emptor". If the buyer donch ask, you are under no obligation to share such information :hell-hath-no-fury: :hell-hath-no-fury: :hell-hath-no-fury: